Marvel's The Avengers! (Spoilers! Beware!)

So, what did you think?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. So, what did you think of the movie/

• AWESOME!
    • Good, but not awesome.
    • Meh.
    • HORRID!

So, I know more of you saw this movie during the weekend. I saw the midnight showing! And for those who stuck around during the credits, you do know who that purple guy at the end was, right? :)

My friends and I camped out a nice spot at out theater. Card games and pizza for 6 hours. Watched it. Then had to wake up 4 hours later for class. Yay!!!!!

I love the interactions between the Hulk and Thor.

The reaction to the end credits villain actually made me laugh. Some people shouted Apocalypse while others shouted Darkseid(Wut?) That's Thanos, right? His whole reaction to the death quote really poked at that.

Yeah, I did a little..

when I saw that.Thanos is an awesome baddie. Unlike Loki who you feel kind of bad for (Especially after his 'battle' with the Hulk), Thanos is a proper bad guy. He's an ultimate bad a..er..hiney.

Lol....that 'battle'........

I think Loki was a great one for them to get started on. You really do feel kind of bad for Loki. He really had his thunder stolen from him in the later parts. All in all it was an amazing way to start off the series.

I think all the hulk scenes were great. I couldn't help by laugh every time I saw him go to work on something.

It's a just a shame they can't use some of the better cosmic characters, like the Silver Surfer or even Galactus. Would be cool to see the Surfer aid the Avengers against Thanos. Freaking Fox! :wail:

Really, the guy was Thanos? I could have sworn it was a skrull, but I suppose Thanos makes more sense...

Also, the scenes where the Avengers started pairing up might have been the most beautiful fight sequences I've seen in a action movie for a VERY long time.

Really, the guy was Thanos? I could have sworn it was a skrull, but I suppose Thanos makes more sense...

The army the Avengers were fighting, were the “Chitauri” which were also known as “Skrulls”. I’m hoping they were not the typical Skrulls, but zombie-cyborg versions since Skrulls were generally alien-looking, but were not mindless killing machines. They even had hero skrulls in the funny books.

Wow. The Avengers have already made $641,800,000 worldwide so far. That's a bunch of bits!

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=avengers11.htm

I saw The Avengers on Saturday with some friends.

It was one of the best superhero shows! I admit I was worried how it would work balancing all the character while creating a great plot, but sure enough it worked.

Favorite line paraphrased: Loki - "You can't defeat me. I'm a god and you're just a puny human."

Hulk - (throws around Loki like a rag doll).

It's a just a shame they can't use some of the better cosmic characters, like the Silver Surfer or even Galactus. Would be cool to see the Surfer aid the Avengers against Thanos. Freaking Fox! :wail:

I don't think the Silver Surfer or Galactus was in any of the Avengers Comic books so why would they be in the live action movie?

And Lux in every comic book and animated feature the Hulk is in he can and will kill anything in his way such as Hulk vs. Thor, Hulk vs. Wolverine, or Planet Hulk.

Both the Surfer and Galactus have shown up more than a few times in the Avengers books. Don't forget, the Marvel universe is a shared universe..However, other studios own the rights of certain Marvel characters, so you won't be seeing Spider-Man, or the Fantastic Four in the Avengers movies..Which is a shame.

As while Thor and Hulk are tough, Thanos is one of the few baddies who can match them in strength. Give Thanos his "Infinity Gauntlet" and things will be messy for the good guys very quickly. This gauntlet was seen in the Thor movie, in the background.

Nah, they couldn't use him if they wanted to. Fox owns his rights.

Oddly enough, Thanos and Deadpool are in love with the same gal..Death herself!

The movie was far, FAR more awesome than I could have ever imagined. Like, seriously.

As for all the complaints about the Hulk? Well, I don't think they quite hit it, but I can see what they were aiming for with him. And honestly, the grim version might not quite fit in with this movie.

It had everything I was looking for in an Avengers movie, except Wasp.

Cap + Iron Man arguing like an old married couple? Check.

Both of them mixing it up with Thor's superiority complex? Check.

The Hulk indiscriminately grappling with his teammates? Check.

Several blocks of Manhattan around the "Avengers Mansion" end up leveled? Check.

This is what I expect from the Avengers. I would be sorely disappointed if these expectations were not met. And I think that only Joss Whedon could have made it as epic as it was, but putting all the humor into it. The whole Galaga thing almost made me cry laughing, as did the Hulk+Loki and so many other just dead-pan deliveries of awesome snark. And basically almost every time Robert Downey Jr. opened his mouth. I love when he writes superheroes.

I predict that Avengers 5 (I am predicting 5 movies) will just be them sitting around figuring out what to do with 40+ Avengers to decide who is active and who is reserve. I will laugh SO SO hard if this is referenced at any point.

The bummers: Missing a chance to, even for a joke, put Hawkeye in purple. Of course, no Wasp or that jerk she married.

I never really liked Wasp until they did the toon. She's a lot of fun in that..As for Ant man

Looks like Edgar Wright hasn't given up on doing his Ant Man movie.

2vi485l.jpg

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2012/05/07/edgar-wright-teases-ant-man-with-mysterious-image

I never really liked Wasp until they did the toon. She's a lot of fun in that..As for Ant man

Yeah, but even besides that, she (and the jerk, but more about that later**) was a founding member of the Avengers and instrumental in their formation. I am guessing that they didn't bring her into the fray because they killed her off in the main continuity...and she stayed dead, which for Marvel is a minor miracle.

I loved her. While she isn't my absolute favorite character (she's still in the top 10, though) she was the REASON I started reading comics in the first place (well, at least the reason I read more than one issue). Before I found that stash of 70's Avengers comics when I was 9 or 10, my only familiarity with any superheroine was Wonder Woman, who never seemed accessible to me. Very above it all. Never got into it. But Janet was cute, charming, and had fun with the fact that she had an insane job and wore the most ridiculous outfits to work, but could still throw down with the boys.

This was pretty important to a young girl who was increasingly of the bent that it wasn't OK to dress like a girl or you would be seen as a weak piece of fluff.

I will admit though, that her characterization beyond that is weak at best. She was pretty alternately annoying and boring in the 80s and 90s, and I couldn't say anything about the past almost 20 years because later Avengers just don't hold my interest these days. I am sure it wasn't much better after we as comics fans came out of the dark and gritty early 90s with less of an ability to suspend our disbelief about all these heiresses and teen models and millionaires running around in Spandex without a solid backstory. I think they just didn't know what to do with her. Then again, Marvel + writing women, especially married ones they don't want to portray as vamps, is always a crap shoot.

As for Ant-Man....I have strong opinions on Hank Pym. The very first day I read any Avengers comic, it might not have been the first one, but it was definitely in the stack I got that day, was the one where he hits Janet. Cue 30+ years of on-again, off-again of clumsy portrayals of him as either an abusive spouse, just straight up crazy, or all kinds of contradictory things. And I know it wasn't intended to have such long-standing consequences and is really just the fault of crappy writers, but still. >.>

It had everything I was looking for in an Avengers movie, except Wasp.

Cap + Iron Man arguing like an old married couple? Check.

Both of them mixing it up with Thor's superiority complex? Check.

The Hulk indiscriminately grappling with his teammates? Check.

Several blocks of Manhattan around the "Avengers Mansion" end up leveled? Check.

This is what I expect from the Avengers. I would be sorely disappointed if these expectations were not met. And I think that only Joss Whedon could have made it as epic as it was, but putting all the humor into it. The whole Galaga thing almost made me cry laughing, as did the Hulk+Loki and so many other just dead-pan deliveries of awesome snark. And basically almost every time Robert Downey Jr. opened his mouth. I love when he writes superheroes.

I predict that Avengers 5 (I am predicting 5 movies) will just be them sitting around figuring out what to do with 40+ Avengers to decide who is active and who is reserve. I will laugh SO SO hard if this is referenced at any point.

The bummers: Missing a chance to, even for a joke, put Hawkeye in purple. Of course, no Wasp or that jerk she married.

Stop reading my mind. How DO you do that?

Also, here's a Wasp related question! How did you feel about her portrayal in Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes where she was/is/will still be best character? She really is. I cheer for her statistically more than the thunder god, which is saying something. Also, Hank being a pacifist and borderline sissy, save his science-gasms. Mad? Hopeful?

Stop reading my mind. How DO you do that?

Also, here's a Wasp related question! How did you feel about her portrayal in Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes where she was/is/will still be best character? She really is. I cheer for her statistically more than the thunder god, which is saying something. Also, Hank being a pacifist and borderline sissy, save his science-gasms. Mad? Hopeful?

I think the mind reading aspect of comics talk might be tied to the timeframe in which both became comics fans, similarity in age, and the reasons we like comics/characters we like, as far as I can tell from what you post about it most of the time.

I actually haven't seen it since I don't have real cable. But it appears to be streaming on Netflix, so if you say it's good I will check it out and let you know.

But she is awesome.

aveng49johnbuscema1968.jpg

For the record, my favorite comic character ever is Kitty Pryde. Since 1988 (the first X-men comic I got into was the one where she joined). The only way people even got me to watch anything Joss Whedon ever did was to tell me that Buffy was based on her.

Edited to add proof of how cute and hilarious she was in silver/bronze age comics.

Edited by flutterscotch