(Outside Ponyville) Daringcon General (Open)

SteelEagle

"Sure do, Zala! I'm looking forward to it, too!"

That made Snips' day. Not only had Rainbow Dash talked to him, she'd recognized his costume! This day just kept getting better and better!

The line suddenly started moving a lot more quickly. Snips nearly tripped over his big paws several times trying to keep up. As he got closer to the doors, he finally spotted a bouncing orange colt.

"Snips! Ah see ya! Hurry!"

"Hey Snails! Don't worry. I'm almost..."

The attendant at the ticket booth suddenly hung a sign outside the door. "Sold Out"

"There??" Snips finished lamely. He sat back on his haunches, stunned. "Sold out?" he said, in a daze, "How can they be sold out??"

All around him, disappointed ponies were doing much the same. Rainbow Dash was actually crying... Snips slumped the rest of the way to the ground. "Well, at least Snails can tell me about it..." he grumbled. But then, Daring Do herself was there!!

"HEY! I'M MAKING BADGES! GIMME BITS, GET A BADGE, GO IN!"

Snips rubbed his eyes with his hooves, but the apparition remained. Daring Do, or least least a mare that looked just like her, was now in the ticket booth, giving out more badges. Snips leaped back to his hooves, his bounce restored. "Daring Do to the Rescue!" he shouted happily.

Rainbow Dash got back up to all four hooves as Carrot Fields tried to reassure her, a slump in her shoulders. She let out a soft sigh, and acceded, "Yeah, I am kinda hungry ... and Daring Do wouldn't - " She paused, and then lifted her head, her eyes brightening. "Daring Do wouldn't give up ... we can ... we can slip in through the back ... maybe grab some security badges ... YEAH!" She grabbed Carrot's hoof, and gave it an excited tug. "Comon, Carrot!"

"Umm ... does anypony need a ticket? I have an extra if someone wants." The voice floated out over the crowd, and Rainbow Dash froze in place at those words. Then a goofy, happy smile spread across her face with a little 'squee!' noise.

"YES!" It was like she teleported from in front of Carrot to where Gentle Sol stood, a rainbow streak connecting the two points. She snagged the ticket from the colt's hooves and lifted up several feet into the air, holding the ticket above her head like a trophy. "I got a teeeeee-ket! I got a teeeeee-ket! Who's the winner? Go Rainbow! Who's got the ticket? Go Dashie! Yeah Rainbow! It's your convention! Yeah Rainbow! It's your convention!" She grooved a bit, her wings fluttering to pull her backwards as she moonwalked in mid-air.

Then she froze, looking out over the crowd of ponies before her ... all disappointed, all upset ... and many of them little foals. She let out a soft groan, and her shoulders sagged again. She dropped a few bits into Gentle Sol's hooves, then slowly fluttered her way back to her place in line, her whole body dangling from the slowly flapping blue wings. *sigh* "Here ya go," she said, reluctantly handing the ticket to Snips. "Go meet up with your friend."

Well, she supposed, the 'sneak in' option was still on the table ... "OK, here's the plan," she said to Carrot, again, conspiratorially, trying to ignore the noise as someone started shouting about badges and bits... wait, what? Badges? More badges! "Um... we ... keep waiting in line till we get our badges!"

Boy, conventions were *confusing!*

===== ===== ===== ===== =====

"Oh, acting is wonderful! I would love more variety in my roles, but you know how Fainting Daisy can be." She gave a lilt to her voice as she mimicked his mode of speech. "Dah-ling! But you are simply perfect for this role! I wrote it especially for your particular talents!" She tossed her mane, which felt odd now that it was so much shorter, and and brushed her hoof through it casually, copying Daisy's mannerisms. "If you do not take the role, I will be devastated!"

Silver Flash gave a wry lil' grin to Radiant. "My dear, you should know that until we make our mark in the acting world, we take the roles we can get ... not the roles we'd choose. I used to love Daring Do stories when I was a foal, though I'm not here entirely as a fan." She tapped lightly at the guest badge on her chest. "They needed someone to play a few roles during the con, and I happened to be available. I'm actually not going to be able to visit too long - I need to report for my duties soon - but I want to walk around the con for a half hour first, get a feel for things." She couldn't reveal the secret yet - she was contractually obligated. But she looked forward to the big presentation!

Then she shook her head, and turned to Princess Veil. "Ah! But I'm being terribly rude, your highness. I was just surprised to see someone here that I knew!" She gave a nod of her head, a playful little curtsey - though it amused her to know that once she was in costume, she'd be far more brash and challenging. "Silver Flash, at your service."

Gentle shook his head at the mare. adults could just be as foalish as foals sometimes but i guess its not a bad thing just different than what Gentle expected. he did not need to get in line his gram said that his badge was reserved for him a silly frivolity of wealth but a nice one he walked up to the table and asked for his badge after a double cheak that he was indeed Gentle Sol he got his Badge to Daring con. now what to do first.....

Carrot Field s looked stunned at Dash’s suggestion of sneaking in - he was understandably hesitant on the idea, a pure mix of worry and excitement. They could get caught, but the worst that could happen was just getting kicked out. It wasn’t an actual crime or anything. Besides, she was just so excited about the idea, and putting it in the terms of what Daring Do would do made it a bit more palpable. "Aye, aye, Oi spose we kin give it a toss," he started to say while being pulled along.

One moment, the cute mare was there pulling him along on her adventure, and the next she was gone in a rainbow colored blur. The next thing Carrot knew, she was up in the air yelling excitedly and boastfully about having a ticket. “How? When? Whaaa?” He had no idea how this all had occurred in just a few seconds. She'd just been right there next to him!! Well Carrot, ye old dumbtail, Oi think that's a record fer a filly losing interest in ye. Carrot sighed. Best to go home, at least she was going to get in, and the convention did seem a bit more important to her than to him.

And then she was suddenly next to him again, handing the ticket to the dumpy foal dressed like Zala and turned around. “That's a roit noice thing tae do; Oi know how much this convention meant tae ye! Well we could still always have lun-" and then everything changed again. "Well, Oi hope that means we kin get in after all; Oi mean, Oi'm sure yer idea would work, but innae this exciting?" Carrot gave a nervous smile.

Radiant Chord laughed at Silver's imitation of the director, trying hard to stifle the outburst but failing spectacularly. "Yes, I would imagine that could get... annoying," she replied. "And I know exactly what you mean. Just because I'm good at music doesn't mean I get to play the type of music I like." She tilted her head to one side slightly, thinking for a moment. "Well, not often..." she added, with a conspiratorial wink.

"Oh, any chance you might be at the concert later?" she asked both Silver and Snowfall. "I know you said you had duties around the convention, but it'd be wonderful if you could make it. You know how I am with concerts, it'd be reassuring to see a familiar face in the crowd." Radiant chuckled lightly. "Or faces, in this case," she continued, nodding to Snowfall. "I wouldn't imagine it would be that difficult, but if you have trouble with getting into the concert, you could tell them to talk to me. It'd be worth pulling some strings to get you two in. And Pathfinder, of course."

Pathfinder.png

Few times in her life had Pathfinder started to believe she was in over her head or lacked some central tenet or required training for the task at hand. Normally this could be easily overcome through her force of will demanding it be so but she rarely dealty with such crowds and such responsibility outside of herself. Usually if she failed it would only impact her. Now, many dozens- possibly hundreds, Pathfinder was not renown for her ability to count fast- relied on her to get them to the most important location in all of Equestria. She had the will. Now if only she had the skills or knowledge to be of help.

The first pony to come up was just a foal, a tiny little and wholly adorable colt that had no need for such silliness such as the line. The name was Gentle Sol and unlike the poor and unfortunate ponies behind him he already has his badge! A smart cookie, just like Pathfinder he had the whole badge situation handled like a super pro. Pathfinder dug into the well-ordered and small pile of badges bought not yet claimed and fished out the one with his name carved into it. The result was one badge given to an adorable pony and a whole mess of others that lost any sort of order or coherency under the the desk in the badge office. Good times, in other words.

Pathfinder had no time to grow comfortable with her position as immediately the line moved forward, another deliciously adorable colt sauntered up.

"Standard badge, Cherished Dream," The colt asked with both confidence and excitement trying to slam their way through his well-bred demeanor and very faintly succeeding. The hole in the glass between them was simply too small or else Pathfinder would have squeezed his adorable little cheeks. However, there was a task that needed doing and Pathfinder wasted as little time as possible. The mare quickly snatched the bits and turned around, rummaging through the few dozen unused wooden badges before finding an unused one.

"Eureka!" she exclaimed, a moment before she realized something vital. There was a tool that was required to stencil a name into a wooden badge and Celestia be merciful, she didn't have it. A quick, nearly panicked circle turn in the booth followed before Pathfinder forced a broad smile and peered back out.

"Cherished Dreams, was it?" Pathfinder asked nervously, hooves pawing underneath the booth desperately in search of something pointy. Justice delivered; her hoof returned with a quill. Not her first choice but the reverse end of the industrial ones easily filled her needs. Pathfinder slammed the wooden badge down in front of both of them.

"Let's get to it!" Pathfinder cheered herself on as she started carving away at the wooden relief. She felt invigorated as she slowly made her way towards victory, every second passing by the crescendo of orchestras in her very soul. She could hardly take it, wanting to burst with excitement- she was doing it and with every passing moment the look of joy on the foal's face was sure to be worth the work.

Finally, after five minutes, Pathfinder brought the badge up and proudly displayed it.

"See! We're getting there!" Pathfinder beamed as if she were a schoolfilly showing a particularly failed arts and crafts project to her non-existent parents. It looked as if some cruel and dastardly villain had taken a knife to the relief and cut it up in semi-random fashion, though through the sheer insanity present on it one could make out the name, "Cherished", on it. Even the foal knew this was a disaster in the making and Cherished Dreams most cherished dream was starting to look like a dream being dashed.

"Okay! Time to start on Dream!"

Snowfall was surprised to find that Radiant knew this new pegasus. When she revealed herself to be an actress, that made everything clear. Snowfall nodded to her and smiled.

"A pleasure, Miss Flash," she said with a laugh. "I was wondering where I might have seen your face before; it was from the balcony seats of a premier Manehattan theatre." She gave a steady nod. "I spend a lot of time in Manehattan for business, and attending displays of the fine arts are always a great way to amuse oneself between meetings."

"Though I suppose it would come as no surprise that the life of royalty is so busy and full of fine things," Snow added, playfully putting on her regal voice. "It's just the life I lead as Princess of the Veil Kingdom!"

Laughing, amused by herself, she turned back toward Radiant and gave a nod. "I wouldn't miss it," she said. "Pathfinder seemed excited by it as well, so I can't imagine I'll have reason to be anywhere else. I'll be delighted to hear you perform."

maddenbanner.png

The day did not start out good. Nope. What was the worst part of this situation? Was it the fact that he didn't get the sidekick reporter he wanted? Was it the fact that he was stuck with an inexperienced mare with was intention to try to record things using a fancy bulky crank camera? No, it wasn't that. However, he couldn't have admitted that he would have been fine with that opportunity to try new technology out. He was sure it would just slow them down.

Was it the fact that he was late? Arriving at the event several minutes after the crowds did probably wasn't his plan either. He could have tried to prevent this by waking up earlier. He could have saved some time by paying extra for the taxi fare. But that wouldn't have kept his assistant from not getting the right address in the first place. Even if they were on time, they wouldn't have been in the right place. But it wasn't being late that bugged him most.

Nope. What bugged him most was the fact that despite being a famous Clousdale reporter on all top stories and sports talk, despite being invited as an announcer to all of Equestria's biggest sporting events, despite being to one to introduce the Wonderbolts by name at almost all of their appearances, he was being asked to report all day at a fan convention for all the books under the name Daring Do.

Madden tagged his assistant along with, as she clumsily carried her heavy equipment. "Come on, Telly, let's get this over with."

Applejack.pngMadden.pngGranola_Gracie.pngArrow_Plain.pngMiracle.pngRemington.pngSugar_Rush-1.pngCoconut_Lime.png

Rainbow Dash chuckled softly to Carrot. "It's really not," she said bluntly to Carrot, "I don't think I've ever heard of anypony who thought waiting in line was exciting." She shrugged. "If I'd known we were gonna have such a long line, I'd have brought a Daring Do book with me to read! I only started reading them a few weeks ago, but I've read all 47 books at least twice each, plus the 13 collected graphic novels, but I didn't get a chance to read more than a couple of the 'world of Daring Do' books, where it focuses on other characters and doesn't actually have Daring in them. Am I missing anything? I read the Princess Veil Diaries, and it seemed really ... not very Daring Do. it was all political and romantic and booooooooring!" She pulled a face. "How long have you been reading them?" she went on, not giving Carrot a chance to answer right away. "Did you read all of them? I thought books were just for eggheads, but these are *really awesome!*"

Silver Flash grinned, glad that Radiant was feeling comfortable around her. Maybe it was because they weren't at one of those high-class parties. Or maybe Silver Flash acted different when it wasn't at a high-class party. She was, however, quite curious now. "Oh? What kind of music do you most enjoy, then? Will I get to hear it at the concert? I didn't know you were doing anything here!" She made a mental note to check her schedule to see if she'd be able to attend. She knew her day was pretty busy, after all!

What really surprised her, though, was that "Princess Veil" recognized her. "No kidding?" Wait, should she have a more professional attitude? No, not here. Not when she was acting as if she really was the princess. "Well, tell ya what, I sure didn't expect to be recognized here. I didn't think my normal audience would overlap much with Daring Do!"

Snails was still excited the first couple minutes, then started getting worried as Pathfinder was doing about as well as he would at carving a badge.

The orange unicorn looked through the glass at his buddy, and at Rainbow Dash and some of the other ponies he had seen around town.

"Dont worry, ya will get in."

He sidled over to peer into the booth "Um, 'scuse me Miss Pathfinder, ma'am... D'ya want me ta find.. some extra hooves?"

At the last second, Snails decided saying "...Find a woodcarving pony...." might make her sad...

Carrot Fields felt a bit stupid - of course standing in line wasn't exciting, he hadn't meant that - although chatting with the pretty rainbow-maned mare sure made it a lot easier to get through. At least she'd quickly forgotten about it and started enthusing over Daring Do instead, not waiting even a breath. He could barely keep up with all her questions, let alone get in a word edgewise, with only an occasional "Well.." and "Uh.." squeezed in before she finally started to slow down.

"Umm ... Well, Oi dinnae get tae read many of th' books as a colt - me folks were nae token on buyin' me fantasy, an' Oi had tae sneak tae th' library." Carrot gave a bit of a grin. "Course, Oi own a roit number of 'em, now Oi'm all grown up! Oi have most of th' 'World of' books, though Oi've nae th' time tae read most of them. Loiked what Oi read." Carrot rubbed the back of his mane with his forehoof, "It's nice tae dream bout bein' in all those places, innit?" He had to admit, he felt a little saddened that she seem to dislike the romance stuff - he kinda liked dreaming about that love blooming in the midst of all that danger and action. He'd always passed by the Princess Veil stuff cause it looked so girly - maybe he should give it a try. She couldn't mean actual *romance novel*, right? It was Daring Do they were talking about, here! "Oi mainly focused on th' books with Daring do, Oi always thought she was so cute, like y- umm, because ye know, colt crush!"

"Well, if you must know, I prefer techno," Radiant Chord replied, a somewhat questioning tone in her voice and her eyes as she looked at Silver Flash. The ponies who usually attended the high-class parties she had mentioned generally had Opinions about techno. It was Too Loud and Not Music. So she wasn't really sure how Silver was going to react, though she hoped it was for the best. "Something I can play on my keyboard, and not on a normal piano. Something that has a good beat to it, that I could dance to if I wasn't playing it. Oh, don't get me wrong... classical is fun, and there's some of it that I really, really like. But for the most part... it's just too... constrained."

She shrugged, not sure what else to say on the subject without coming across as too defensive. So she decided to change it, if only a bit. "But yeah, I'm not surprised that you didn't know I was doing anything here. Thanks to my father," she rolled her eyes here, "I'm really only known for classical waltz's and the like. But I've always been a passing fan of Daring Do, and when I heard that the convention was thinking of doing a concert... well, I just had to volunteer my services." Radiant grinned. "Some of the music they gave me to practice was... certainly different from my norm. But I think it'll be a smash!"

"And I'm glad to hear that you'll be there! It should be... different... from what most ponies have come to expect from me."

Pathfinder.png

Pathfinder's diligence was unwavering and her attitude without compromise. All she wanted to do was have great success in all facets of her life and the facet she was most concerned with, even if it was a laughably minor one, was successfully making badges. To make multiple badges she had to first create a single badge and in order to make a single badge she had to move at a slightly superior clip in comparison to her current speed, which was somewhere between painfully slow and torturous. After ten more minutes, she had successfully finished Cherished Dreams' badge and she displayed it proudly. Only because they knew the score could they claim it belonged to Cherished Dreams instead of being random etchings. Pathfinder reached through the hole and placed it around the filly's neck, who immediately started trudging off, mostly defeated after nearly half an hour of work.

Just as she felt incredibly awesome and vindicated, Snails came to the scene and brought her down through no fault of his own. Okay, so it had taken almost half an hour- but darnit, Pathfinder was doing it and nopony need fret! She gave Snails the time of day and responded kindly.

"Oh, little cutey, I'm just fine! Why before you know it, you will all be in there having fun with all sorts of other ponies and it'll be so much fun!" She belted before turning back to the front.

"Huzzah! One down! Aren't you all excited, everypony? Who's next?!"

Though at the pace she was going, most ponies were likely better off trying to dig their way into the convention center.

Snowfall laughed at the clear surprise on Silver Flash's face. The strangeness of it didn't allude her. Her costume presented her as an obsessed Daring Do fan, and her efforts to keep in character only reinforced this impression. Pathfinder wasn't there to blurt out her identity as a influential businessmare as she had with Radiant either. It would definitely catch a pony like this off guard to be recognized here.

"I see why you might say that," Snowfall said. "All the same, I have to wonder why that is. The wonderful sort of adventure and excitement embodied by Daring Do is no less valid than what is conjured up by your finest playwrights, I'd say."

She smiled and looked toward Radiant. "When it comes to music, my own knowledge is pretty limited to the classical stuff. It's just what I've always been around," she said, nodding along. "I'd actually be quite excited to hear something completely different from that. I'm looking forward to whatever you might be performing."

maddenbanner.png

"I can't stand these types on conventions. All these ponies celebrating something you can enjoy at home. It's like they don't even know where they are." Madden walked towards the convention's building, and began walking past the line that wrapped around the corner. His camera-mare was slowly dragging her heavy machinery behind him. "I mean, seriously, if you wanted to bring your kids to one of these things, you're asking for an entire day of waiting and shoving. I mean look at this line!" The camera-mare behind started panting heavily as he spoke, giving an intern's nod. "It's a good thing I have a press pass. I wouldn't pay one bit to go to something like this."

Madden walked to the front of the line where excited ponies were getting their required materials to get into the event. Madden shoved the next pony in line away a little and butted his way to the window, where he saw a pony making badges, hoof made badges at that. "Hello yes, uh," Madden looked the pony up and down, and then looked at the poster next to her, and then back at her. The mare was the exact same appearance of the character in the poster. "Ah yes, you must be one of the performers then. Hay, listen, I have a press pass here." Madden waved it on the window. "So, I'll be going inside ok, Miss..." Madden read the mouth-written scribble of a name on her badge, "Path... find.. er. Maybe once the con starts I can ask you questions about your performance." Madden looked up, gave a presentable but fake smile, and walked towards the building entrance, his already exhausted camera-mare trudging behind.

Applejack.pngMadden.pngGranola_Gracie.pngArrow_Plain.pngMiracle.pngRemington.pngSugar_Rush-1.pngCoconut_Lime.png

Rainbow Dash grinned eagerly at Carrot's ideas. "Oh, yeah, they sound awesome! Makes me wanna go out exploring, myself, and - " Then the last thing he said clicked into place. "You had a crush ... on *Daring Do*?" she snickered, her mouth quirking. She tried to control it for half a second, but the laughter pealed out. "Buaaaa-hahahaaaa!" she cried, pointing at Carrot, turning over in mid-air as she was laughing, then dropping to the ground with a thud. "Were ye gonna marry a *book*?" she snorted out, then started laughing some more. "Buaaaa-hahaha-haaaaa! What is that, like, dating for eggheads?" She rolled on the ground a little, then got back up to her hooves, throwing her forearm over Carrot's shoulders and jabbing her other forehoof into his chest. "I like you, Carrot! You're all right!" *giggles impishly*

"Woooo..." She leaned to the side, looking towards the ticket booth, her hoof still round Carrot's shoulders. "Is this line even moving at *all*?"

Silver Flash's eyes brightened. "Oh, I know what you mean about techno! Something to get your groove on, get your hooves tapping!" She started giving her rump a wriggle and bouncing up and down and left and right, her face scrunching up a little as she let out a little "Oontz-a oontz-a oontz-a oontz-a!" She grinned. "Love dancing to it. Some of it gets a bit repititve, but the good artists know how to mix it up! Tell you what, though - classical is pretty awesome - they used *cannons* as *instruments* for some of those! And my favorite Techno is the stuff that *uses* classical in the techno! Like the Techno version of Bethoofan's Fur Elise!"

She shrugged to Princess Veil. "The better plays, sure. I just keep finding myself in plays that don't have *any* action in them!" She rolled her eyes disbelievingly. "Man, sometimes I wanna just try to get back up to Cloudsdale, try again to get into the theatre scene there. I wouldn't mind the romance plays so much up in Cloudsdale. A good romance play needs a *fight* in it! Preferably several, or a whole war! I mean, they have some plays like that down here, but they tend to label those as 'action plays.' They should see what an action play looks like in Cloudsdale!"

She laughed a bit. "But then, everything's so *stuffy* down here on the ground. Some ponies got the right idea... but usually, the parties are all humdrum, the sports are so two-dimensional, the cities never change their layout, the business deals are boring... Business! Boring! Can you imagine? Where's the competition? Where's the trash-talking?" She laughed and shook her head. "well, takes all kinds, amiright?" She grinned to Princess Veil and gave her a companionable punch to the shoulder.

• Like 1

Carrot Fields gave Dash a hurt and incredulous look, with her so-called questions poking fun at him in between her bouts of laughter. "N-nay! A course nay!” He bristled in anger and embarrassment, at first, but as she placed her hoof over his shoulders, he gave her a weak smile. "Oi spose it is a mite silly, if ye think about it. Oi mean, it's nae loik that now, jes when' Oi was a young colt. Oi mean, lonely time, ne'er gettin' a date or anything." Oh, geeze, why had he just admitted that?! Dash was throwing him completely off balance. "Oi mean, Oi knew it was jes' fantasy back then, but ... ah, she was a roit hooffull. Aggressive, adventurous, everything Oi wanted in a filly." Carrot gave a bashful, goofy smile. "Ach, Oi sound a roit fool. Yer lucky, bein' all popular. Sure'n ye ne'er had tae worry bout a date."

Dash was right - it seemed like there was some confusion or a problem at the front that had everything at a standstill. This certainly wasn't the ideal situation - not that he lacked the patience to wait, but he worried that he would run out of interesting things to say to the teasing but cute and friendly filly standing next to him; after all how interesting can a farmer be, right? "Aye, it's a mess up there." He glanced over to see a food cart standing nearby. "Oye! Why dinnae Oi get us some nibbles while ye hold our spot? What'll ye take?" As an afterthought, he glanced back at the goofy colt with the Zala costume. "And ye, lad? What're ye fer?"

Pathfinder.png

Pathfinder had continued her rather lame attempts at badge making unhindered by the sour emotions of the badge applicants who had to deal with watching the entirely ineffective mare behind the counter toss together an assortment of moves and motions to produce shoddy badge after shoddy badge. Time ticked by slowly as Pathfinder mangled badge after badge until she had finally reached the golden number of five, which was how many times the original Daring-Do novel had been re-written! Before she had time to announce this number and its significance, some news reporter made himself known.

It was such silliness that he believed she was a performer, but when one looked as mesmerizingly brilliant as Daring Do did daily despite dabbling in dangerous dungeons delicately how could a silly pony be blamed? Pathfinder smiled and reached out of the ticket booth and tried to pat the reporter on the head. Failing to do that, she flailed about like a lunatic for a few seconds before pulling back and smiling.

"Oh no no no! I'm not a performer! I'm just a fan- the first fan, best fan, biggest fan, of Daring Do! Name's Pathfinder and the game's adventuring, from Aquilla to Roam and all points north, south, eat, west, center or north! What's your name? Are you here to cover the convention? Exciting stuff!" She blasted out from her booth, forgetting momentarily that she was the only legal gateway for the ponies in line to get in.

And what a time for those ponies outside to not be inside. As ponies milled about inside and conversed, staff behind the scenes had started to set the stage for the opening ceremonies. Once those were past, the con would open up and all sorts of panels, galleries, and other assorted events would start. It was more than awesome- It was Daring!

"Five minutes!" One staff member blared and from one end of the facility to the other, the word spread. Finally, a staff member trotted outside and repeated the message.

"Five minutes to opening ceremonies!"

Sadly for some ponies, five minutes might as well have been five hours, five days!

It would have been a funny joke since it was a Daring Do convention, but Pathfinder was busy gabbing it up with a reporter and nopony else outside would have found it funny.

Except it was because it was a Daring Do convention and it was deliciously witty.

• Like 1

"The better plays, sure. I just keep finding myself in plays that don't have *any* action in them! Man, sometimes I wanna just try to get back up to Cloudsdale, try again to get into the theatre scene there. I wouldn't mind the romance plays so much up in Cloudsdale. A good romance play needs a *fight* in it! Preferably several, or a whole war! I mean, they have some plays like that down here, but they tend to label those as 'action plays.' They should see what an action play looks like in Cloudsdale!"

Snowfall nodded along as she listened to the actress speak. She laughed. There was a lot of truth in what she spoke. So often did she attend plays in Canterlot or Manehattan that would leave her steps away from sleep upon their conclusion. She could appreciate the effort that went into the performances and production but that didn't change the fact that so often the stories were just lacking a certain punch.

"I truly don't spend much time in Cloudsdale, so I'm not exactly sure how it compares, but you might consider checking out Stalliongrad theatre. Perhaps its the harsher climate but up there, we are ponies who appreciate action and excitement in our shows," Snowfall suggested, giving a proud nod. "Or you could head west. I hear Las Pegasus has been drawing attention with all manners of exciting shows and performances."

"But then, everything's so *stuffy* down here on the ground. Some ponies got the right idea... but usually, the parties are all humdrum, the sports are so two-dimensional, the cities never change their layout, the business deals are boring... Business! Boring! Can you imagine? Where's the competition? Where's the trash-talking? Well, takes all kinds, amiright?"

Snowfall wasn't the type to take offense at this sort of comment. No, instead she just laughed and smiled, shaking her head.

"Quite frankly, I'm afraid never really cared for the sentiment of cloud cities, cut off from the world below. I'd rather say I'm more in line with the philosophy of my father's ancestors, who splintered off to found Stalliongrad as a city where all would be accepted, be they pegasus, unicorn, earth pony or something else entirely," Snow said, nodding brightly.

"I do have to agree with your latter point though. Business must be dreadfully dull. I can only imagine! It's a lucky thing that I happen to be a princess, and not somepony who would have to deal with such common frivolities," the mare concluded, with some excited giggling.

((Sorry guys, been having a major writers block for a few weeks. I've managed to punch a hole in it finally!))

The pest few minutes had been an emotional roller coaster for for Snips. First, he'd been excited for the con. Then, Rainbow Dash herself had talked to him! Next, though, the con had gotten sold out. He'd barely gotten a chance for that to sink in, before a mare dressed just like Daring Do started making new badges! Now, though, it appeared that the 'Pathfinder' that Snails was up talking to... really didn't seem to know what she was doing. Snips' stomach was doing flip-flops as excitement gave way to shock, then back again. Now, when it appeared that he was stuck outside, again.

The colt dropped to his belly on the ground, heedless of his costume. This was the worst day ever... In his depression, he barely noticed Dash zipping over to a colt, then doing an aerial dance over getting a ticket. Snips was kicking himself for not registering early, or getting here earlier in the day, when a blue face with a rainbow mane looked down at him.

"Here ya go," Rainbow Dash said, "Go meet up with your friend."

Snips' mouth dropped open. He stared at the ticket blankly for a moment, his brain trying to catch up. Finally, his eyes widened in comprehension. He looked up at Rainbow Dash with a dazed expression. "Wow, really?" he mouthed. His energy returned in a rush, and he sprang back to his hooves. "OHMYGOSHTHANKYOURAINBOWDASHYOU'RETHEBEST!" he shouted, the words tumbling out of his muzzle. He grabbed the ticket in his teeth, and began galloping to the entrance. "SNAILS! SNAILS! I GOT A TICK..." he shouted, but his gallop and shout were interrupted by him tripping over his over-sized paws. He ended up smacking his chin against the ground, then continuing into a full forward roll. He barely seemed to notice as he scrambled back to his hooves and continued running. "I GOT A TICKET!!"

Snails ears went down in growing worry as it was becoming apparent any of his classmates might be faster at carving badges.

The orange unicorn foal yeeped and backed out of the way as a dashing looking grey pegasus with dark sungasses bulled his way to the front, camera mare in tow.

Snails was admittedly in the dark about announcers from Cloudsdale, but thought he might be the pony event announcer, Madden that often had his picture in the sport section of the newspaper.

While he was puzzling over what somepony like Madden could report on at a Daring Do convention, the announcement suddenly came about opening ceremonies.

The foal was starting to panic now, and was considering if he could tunnel under the wall and let Snips in when Rainbow Dash suddenly gave Snips a ticket.

Snails whooped and did a back flip as Snails galloped toward the door waving a ticket.

the orange foal pushed the door open, and just in time, as Snips rolled right on through. "YAY! Th' opening Ceremonies are about ta start! Um, Miz Pathfinder, Kin Snips catch ya about th' badge as long as he holds th' ticket?"

Rainbow Dash's eyes brightened as Carrot offered to go get some snacks, and gave an eager little prance. "Ooo, yeah! See if they have some cider! Or hay fries! Or cupcakes! Oh, or-" She paused, as the announcement of opening ceremonies cut across her awareness. Her eyes widened, and she leaned over to peer up along all those ponies still in the line and not moving! She didn't know what opening ceremonies was, but there was no way she was getting in, in time!

"Or forget the food!" She grabbed Carrot by the shoulders, and said, "Did you hear that?! The *ceremonies* are about to begin! You know what happens in Daring Do novels when ceremonies begin! That's a guarantee that something will interrupt the ceremonies and make a whole bunch of action!" She kept getting closer and closer to Carrot's face, and she was barely an inch from him now. "And we're stuck in line and they're starting soon and I'm going to MISS IT!"

She paused, panting desperately, her eyes wild, and then declared, "Comon, Carrot. We're going to plan D. For Daring!" She grabbed him and pulled him out of the line, half-dragging him in her haste to get around the building and look for a back door!

===== ===== ===== ===== ===== =====

Silver Flash bristled just a little bit at the implication that Cloudsdale didn't accept ponies ... Cloudsdale accepted ponies and gryphons and anything just fine, so long as those ponies and gryphons and anythings could stand up for themselves! But she'd been a part of the more controlled and polite crowd down here for a while, and had learned a modicum of self control. "Well," she murmured softly, a serene smile on her face, "I think you'll find that Cloudsdale is extremely accepting of -"

She paused at the loud announcement, then her eyes widened. "Oh, ponyfeathers," she muttered, "I'm late!" She smiled wanly and shook both Radiant Chord's and Princess Veil's hooves. "So sorry, responsibilties. I'm sure you understand!"

She took one aborted step towards the crowd ... stepped back ... tried to go around in a different direction ... stepped back. She frowned, then shrugged and fluttered her wings, lifting above the heads of ponies and zipping over the crowd to go find the changing room! Ooohhh, she just couldn't be late for opening ceremonies! She was the main announcement!

Carrot Fields smiled as the excited foal with the Zala costume shouted with joy at getting the ticket from Dash. Of course, that meant the offer of lunch was now just for his rainbow mane companion in line. He swallowed nervously, and added in a mild, “That was really nice of-“ Before he could finish, he had been spun around, and Dash’s words were washing over him. He wasn’t even entirely hearing the words, not with her face getting closer and closer, and even after she’d finished and was just panting energetically. Oh, Luna, she was really, really cute. He wanted to help her! He frantically ran over her words in his mind …

He didn’t really have much of a chance, getting yanked off his hooves out of line as Dash pulled him along to the back of the building. It was a lot plainer than the front – just a lot of service entrances, and wagonload after wagonload of ponies bringing more boxes and bags of merchandise in the back, and baskets of food. One pony pushed a wheeled bar full of costumes, while another small group of pegasus ponies unloaded a floating wagon of a number of crates, plus an anvil, a piano … what did they need all this stuff for?!

There was no way they could sneak in! They were going to get caught, there were too many ponies! He put his hooves in and stumbled, and she lost her grip on him and got a few feet ahead. Then he reached out, grabbed her tail in his teeth, and yanked her behind one of the wagons to hide. “We can’t sneak in! That’s not right! Unless we pay for it later … “ Aw, he wanted to help her … “And I mean, I don’t want you to miss … I mean, I don’t want to miss whatever’s about to happen at the opening ceremonies … and it’s your first con, you should have stuff going right … but how are we gonna sneak past all those ponies?!”

maddenbanner.png

Madden trotted high towards wherever he thought he could gain a better perspective on this wasted event. He held his head high, as to promote his self esteem higher than any of the foalish play that riddled the large building. Large crowds of ponies, the sound of aggravation in the pony clothing stalls when a certain size shirt had run out of stock, the running of ponies galloping towards the main auditorium after an announcement had been made for the opening ceremonies, and the ponies wearing the costumes, these poor ponies. Madden wondered what they would have won had they not lost their bets. At least for a while, he figured that they would make great parents just for today.

He then heard the pony he was talking to at the badge table spring back to his side. He felt like she had tugged on his tail, but he was too stunned to notice for sure. This pony, Pathfinder, showcased how she was not a performer, but the best fan, and that she was decked out in Daring Do gear, not because she was being paid to, or even because she was forced to. She wanted to. This perplexed Madden, causing him to shake his head. He continued to walk a few steps.

Looking around, he saw that there were several adult ponies rushing to the main auditorium, with smiles on their faces, and merchandise that had just bought, including shirts, hats, posters, and face paint. They paid for these things? "Wait. Wait. There are adult ponies here, that, are big fans of this stuff? Isn't it a kids book series? Ha!" Madden started to laugh at the thought. He was talking to himself and Ms. Daring Do at the same time. He began to make harsh assumptions about the group of ponies that called themselves 'daries'. Madden read the banner above. "WELCOME DARIES? As in, Daring Do? Bahahahaha, that's hil-arious!" Madden laughed some more, but only for a fast second or two. He grabbed his camera mare by the neck. "Telly. We have got to get as much footage of this as possible! This will hit the top news story if we can make this interesting enough!" Telly listened to what her boss said, as much as she could with his strong hooves distorting the shape of her face. He let go of her, and she fell to the ground. "Write this down, Telly. 'Daringcon, foalsplay or stallion's game? Let's go on an adventure and find out!'" Madden rubbed his hooves at his genius. If he could make a story about how unusual and pathetic this group of so-called fans are, he could be named PegasEye New's top reporter. Madden galloped quickly to the main auditorium to see what was to be of the opening ceremonies. He shoved through avid fans to get to a spot where he could see the stage clearly.

Pathfinder.png

Pathfinder liked this Madden fellow. He was dressed well and the way he found mirth in his job was simply splendid. If it had been Pathfinder, the suffocation forced upon her by a news organization would have driven her mad. Such a job entailed far too much patience and not enough oomph, as it were. Still, Madden was finding joy and as long as one had joy, it was a good job. Pathfinder laughed alongside Madden, not really paying attention at the sly insults he was slinging.

Kids book series with adult fans?

"You bet! Why, I've been reading since I was a filly and its the best thing ever!" She responded earnestly, eyes glistening woth the purest of joy that pervaded every fiber of her being with all of the obsessive joy only a true lunatic enjoyed.

Dairies being HIL-ARIOUS?

"Yeah, I know right! I was around when they first came up with the name and I remember suggesting Daringites or Doians, but they went with Dairies! I think its a pretty funny name, I like it!" She joined in on the friendly laughing, glass separating her from her new friend as he found his way from her. She then stared at those in front of her for a moment and continued laughing aimlessly. Then a light went off in her head.

"Opening ceremonies! Oh Celestia!" Pathfinder shouted out as she jumped up and hit the top of the booth, rubbing her head for a quick second before inspecting the door with hate.

"Hay everypony! I'll be back after the opening ceremonies, okay? Just an hour or so!" She offered out to the assembled masses outside, their forlorn expressions and devastating sorrow not reaching through the glass to effect Pathfinder in any way. She forgot to open the door on her way out, slamming into it absentmindedly once before she threw it open and started shooting above the crowd towards the opening ceremonies.

All she could hear- well, except for the hundreds who streamed below and were seemingly too bust buying swag to go to the opening ceremonies- was the booming voice the Em Cee(who was likely named Em Cee):

"HELLO DARIES AND WELCOME TO DARINGCON!"

She flew faster.

(OOC- Take control of the opening ceremonies and feel free to take it in any way you wish. There is a RL time limit, July 27th.)