Rainbow Dash's Sexuality?

MisterChippy

All over the web people are arguing over whether or not Rainbow Dash is gay. This discussion has popped up in the RD shipping thread, but I figured it was so controversial it deserved it's own thread. After all, we'll ship anything whether we think it's straight or not, but many people think that Rainbow is a lesbian even outside of the realm of shipping. Therefor, here is a thread specifically for that debate so we stop cluttering up the shipping thread.

Just a few requests:

Please keep it civil and appropriate. Remember, it doesn't really matter all that much IRL.

Please don't feel like you need to apologize for your opinion. Just because you don't think RD is gay that doesn't mean people will think you're homophobic, and just because you think RD is gay that doesn't mean you judge people based on stereotypes.

Please avoid mentioning the article Lauren Faust wrote. It doesn't say ANYTHING about what Rainbow Dash's sexuality actually is. It just says that you shouldn't assume someone is gay just because they're different. It doesn't constitute proof one way or the other.

Remember, this is just for fun and isn't about gay rights or anything like that, so please don't try to make it about that. That goes somewhere else.

Have fun!

Maybe. I considered putting it there, but sexuality doesn't technically HAVE to be about actual sex. I decided to put it here and if a mod thinks I belongs in 18+ it can be moved. I mean, LIKING someone isn't inappropriate, no matter what their gender is, so this topic isn't really adult unless someone makes it that way.

Well I kind of stated my point earlier.

I don't see any character as a lesbian as I've seen no indication that the six are anything else than friends, with some better friends than others. Granted I see RD closer to AJ and Fluttershy that the others, but nothing like she has a romantic attachment.

As for the rainbow mane/tail = gay, why is it always that a if something has a rainbow it means gay? It's a very cliched sterotype if you ask me.

As for her being a tomboy, that really doesn't make a pony gay either. Again a cliched sterotype.

But since RD has been seen as a lesbian in fanfics more than being straight, I can see why it's crossing back over into canonland.

• Like 1

My own personal opinion is that she's lesbian, and rainbows have nothing to do with it.

One of the most convincing reasons for me is because she acts a lot like my lesbian friends (and I'm not talking about being a tomboy).

In addition to that, I could list oh so many little scenes that added together convinced me that she likes girls, but I doubt anyone wants to hear that.

I would very much like to think that the mane 6 are straight.I have nothing agaisnt homosexuals but come on guys its a kids show.I just assume that they are all straight until proven gay.I mean I have a bi OC and an asexual OC too.Plus by being tomboy has nothing to do with it infact my tomboy OC is getting married to a stallion soon.

Maybe. I considered putting it there, but sexuality doesn't technically HAVE to be about actual sex. I decided to put it here and if a mod thinks I belongs in 18+ it can be moved. I mean, LIKING someone isn't inappropriate, no matter what their gender is, so this topic isn't really adult unless someone makes it that way.

Absolutely -- I don't disagree. I think it's because it has the potential to become an adult conversation quick that it might be in the wrong section. As you say, if a mod thinks it belongs there, that is where it'll go. You are fairly new around here, so I'm giving you a heads up that the Canterlot public forums have a very firm all-ages rating, as we do have quite a few young ones running around here, so discussing the sexuality of a character might be out of focus for this section. :)

In canon? She's probably bi... She seems to have a thing for Fluttershy, and I'm guessing she also has a thing for Spitfire... I mean she is the Capt. of the Wonderbolts. However, she was also dancing with Soarin' during the Canterlot Wedding.

In fanon... Lesbian, definitely lesbian to many people. Just look at the shipping thread. Heck, EqD posted about an article about all the lesbian shipping in the fandom. Its sorta a thing within this fandom. Which is kind of why I dislike shipping...

• Like 2

Frankly, the only pony with a confirmed sexuality is Rarity, because she did try to hook up with Blueblood. So my general idea is that if we believe all of the other ponys to be straight, then why not include Rainbow Dash? She really doesn't act that much different from the rest of them, aside from being boastful and a show off.

• Like 2

I think fanon wise why many times the mane six (not just RD mind you) are portrayed as lesbians is because of the lack of male ponies in the show.

Now we know that that's because the show is geared towards girls and as such there will be more girl characters, but nevertheless this fuels the idea.

mlfw1736_small.jpg

I thought the fandom had already gotten tired of this pointless debate.

I know I have! :D

I don't and won't take "sexuality" into account for any pony characters. It's kind of ridiculous. Why do we need to know, so we can label them? Why do we need to label them?

I just take into account things like "Pinkie Pie and Twilight are friends", "Cadence is in love with Shining Armor" and such. Not their sexualities.

This whole argument is ridiculous! The only reason anyone ever actually says that Rainbow Dash is gay is because she's 1: Got a rainbow mane and 2: She's a tomboy and therefore 'Butch'

That's not fair and it's stereotyping to a hard degree, that's like saying Zecora is a Lesbian due to her only interacting with AppleBloom.

Either way the ponies sexuality isn't that big a deal and it bothers me that this fandom MAKES it a big deal, Who the buck cares of if they are gay or straight or bisexual?

It's not what the show is about ! The show is called "FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC" not "Lesbians are Magic"

• Like 1

It's not what the show is about ! The show is called "FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC" not "Lesbians are Magic"

First of all, I completely agree with you on this subject, and I give to you all of my respect.

Secondly, about this quote, some of the fandom seems to think that this show IS just that, as some go by fanon and not canon..

First of all, I completely agree with you on this subject, and I give to you all of my respect.

Secondly, about this quote, some of the fandom seems to think that this show IS just that, as some go by fanon and not canon..

-blush-

Tee thanks I'm glad you agree

The Fanon really is irking me, they argue about Derpy, they argue about Vinyl's eyes, they argue over who is and isn't a lesbian..it's getting ridiculous!

Though a show about Magical Lesbians would be pretty neat

• Like 1

It doesnt help that what I have read from fresh converts to Brony/Pegasister status ever since the MLP fandom began. Essentially what gets many people thinking about Dash in that light is that her former BFF, Gilda Griffon, acts in the possessive butch manner even I have seen IRL in my time in Dallas. So even if Dashie is straight/bi like I believe, those fans go with "guilt by association".

So the real question should be; what is Gilda's sexuality? ;)

Tee thanks I'm glad you agree

The Fanon really is irking me, they argue about Derpy, they argue about Vinyl's eyes, they argue over who is and isn't a lesbian..it's getting ridiculous!

Though a show about Magical Lesbians would be pretty neat

But if they didn't, what would be left to argue about?!

As a long time fanfiction writer, the rule I've gone by is as follows: Any character in a work of fiction can be taken to be bisexual unless there is some proof to the contrary established in canon.

By that rule, Dash and all the mane six (and probably every other character in the show for that matter) can be paired with either males and females and I will see nothing particularly wrong with it.

Do I prefer certain things for certain characters though? Of course. And for Dash, I definitely prefer her with mares.

Especially mares named Rarity. ;-)<3:kissy:

• Like 1