Rainbow Dash's Sexuality?

MisterChippy

There are several anime that explore that theme. Probably. Actually I'm certain there is, I just can't name any of the top of my head!

Magical lesbian anime?

Hmm... let me think...

Most magical girl anime give off that vibe. A lot of the characters in my favorite anime, Madoka Magica, come off that way. The Lyrical Nanoha series and Mai-HiME/Mai-Otome are also pretty good with this trope. Practically any series in the genre these days tends to follow the trope though.

Then there are actual yuri anime with some fantasy elements like Kannazuki no Miko and Simoun, though they're not specifically about magic, per se.

Okay, let's be clear about this: I'm gay. I'm gay as... well, anything that's really gay. Horrendously gay, let's say as a descriptive term. Now, Rainbow Dash as a lesbian? Couldn't say for sure. Would I like to see it? As a reminder that homosexuals exist to the world at large, yes. Would it be a rude awakening to some overprotective parents and fans who are seriously against the idea? Don't care; ponies. It's not really anypony's place to judge on the subject, and, let's face it: the show will never, not probably never, not maybe, never, discuss, or even bring up the subject. I'll give ya' ten bits if it does, plus a nice dinner of fillet mignon and deviled eggs on the house. To this effect, it sadly rests on the shoulders of the fandom do decide whether or not this is even important. Survey says...

Apparently, it is.

I say sadly because of debates like this. Do I see our lovable RD as a lesbian? There's a fair chance of it. Do other people not? Of course, and everypony has their reasons. What I'm more concerned for are the reasons themselves. Personally, I think there are too may ponies that are out to label RD as les for, let's face it, gits and shiggles ('scuse my lack of proper French). I would like to see instead a character seen as homosexual to add some spice to the character, or even just to make it clear that the section of society exists, and is perfectly acceptable. Being gay is not just about sex, people! There's nothing wrong with it in terms of contemporary society. No, if it were to be applied, I'd actually like to see it instead as a minute point. Don't just have homosexuality be a character's only defining trait, just like you wouldn't have heterosexuality be any defining trait of a character. We have those in our respective shows and games, and it's no secret that it's kind of hard to really like them. Now, you might think, "Wait, but you just said that you ought to throw out the fact that gay people exist! Why have it as a minor trait?" Because being gay is just a life choice. It's not a philosophy, there's not rulebook to it. You can have two athletes of very opposite inclinations, and the most important trait to them is still that they're athletic. There's Rainbow Dash right there. Gays are really just like straights, and it can be hard to tell them apart in a crowd or a cast. So, why make it a big deal? Quite the opposite, if you make it not a big deal, it becomes a big deal. Because it shows that you accept the idea as just another norm in life. Which it really is, and ought to be, in all honesty. This unfortunately gets some people hot and bothered, which is really a sad thing in and of itself. Some people might read this and be like, "Hell why not, let's make all the f*ckin' mane cast lesbians! Happy now?" Well, that'd be just not getting my point. Is everypony gay? Absolutely not. Some people are taught that it's wrong, some people have had bad experiences with them, and some people just decided that the whole idea simply isn't for them. These are fine, as long as you don't let the fact get to you! Like I said before, don't define a character by their sexuality, just let their sexuality be one part of them, don't complain, and just accept it! Here, it's as simple as closing your mouth on the subject. Is it closed? Now, when you have a problem with the idea, use kind words or do this! See, not so hard, isn't it?

Anyways, we're getting off track here. My answer to the question is: Do I see Rainbow Dash as a lesbian? No, I see her as a pegasus who is audacious, athletic, and loyal, and may just happen to like mares. That's all.

• Like 3

That's a lie. You know why, but it would take six paragraphs for you to scratch the surface on.

Am I close? :shock:

:I Why is is frowned upon when someone actually takes the time to explain things?

• Like 1

hi hi

I'm sure I could speculate for 6 paragraphs and cite sources too. :P However, this is actually something I'm not very confident about my reasoning. Sometimes I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that in cinema, the audience is given a window into the private lives of the characters which might make people feel like they have an intimate connection with them, but that doesn't explain why people grab signs and shout at strangers. I can't say I've ever wondered what type of people random strangers are attracted to. I don't really know or care about the preferences of my co-workers or even some of the people I game with on a regular basis. I guess sometimes it makes a difference when someone is telling a story and its required for context, but even then I can't imagine having a debate about it. I guess I'm just curious as to why it needs to be definitive outside of the context of the show.

:I Why is is frowned upon when someone actually takes the time to explain things?

Nah, I'm just being facetious. Ginger is well known for his amazing and articulate posts, so I was just poking fun at him for not doing so this time.

He clarified why, and I understand why -- but I really would have liked to see his speculation on this, since it is a rather popular topic.

Oh well!

If we really want to do this, then I will have to put in a list of what HAS TO BE the mane six's sexual identities:

Twilight - Nothing has happened to her romantically! She must be asexual!

Fluttershy - She lives in a cabin with tons of animals, you know what that means!

Pinkie - Everything.

Rarity - Is it a stallion?

Rainbow Dash - Well, the fanfictions say that she is a lesbian, so it must be true!

Applejack - Family.

(I would like to note that this is a joke and by no means do I even care about their sexuality, they are cartoon ponies. I love them, but seriously, enough is enough.)

Just for fun!

Flim - Flam

Flam - Flim

Derpy - Mayor

Luna - Celestia

Celestia - Discord

I'm pretty sure it just means that she's a tomboy.

Shocking Revelation there.

Yup! Shame people can't see that. Though I think this could be considered a step towards equality. As far as I know there is no equivalent for males. So in destroying the concept of tomboy they are making it equal!

OK... that is a messed up thought... NEVER MIND! Let's keep it at RD is a tomboy and while we are at it... we need to make an equivalent for males! GET ON IT PEOPLE!

If we really want to do this, then I will have to put in a list of what HAS TO BE the mane six's sexual identities:

Fluttershy - She lives in a cabin with tons of animals, you know what that means!

Pinkie - Everything.

Rainbow Dash - Well, the fanfictions say that she is a lesbian, so it must be true!

Applejack - Family.

(I would like to note that this is a joke and by no means do I even care about their sexuality, they are cartoon ponies. I love them, but seriously, enough is enough.)

Just for fun!

Flim - Flam

Flam - Flim

Derpy - Mayor

Luna - Celestia

Celestia - Discord

Celestia and Discord? Really? You have obviously not seen this:

J5mi6.jpg

That comic will never get old... I'm not even a fan of shipping, and I find that hilarious.

Pinkie - Everything.

Applejack - Family.

Just for fun!

Flim - Flam

Flam - Flim

Derpy - Mayor

Luna - Celestia

Celestia - Discord

1237917779613a.jpg

• Like 1