Kirby hates everything he does.

Kirby Krackle

This is a sketch I made at 3 AM last Friday in an attempt to breath more life into the Ponies and Dragons RPG. Meet Curtain Call, my level 4 Rogue. I'm pleased it scanned so well, at least. Now I just need to wrap my noodle around the ins and outs of Photoshop. My hand is unsteady and for some reason, the brush tool keeps connecting the lines I draw. I'm dreadfully out of practice and the fact that I'm not pleased with the results isn't helping matters.

Meh.

img004copy.jpg

• Like 2

'Tis a very, very nice sketch, you must admit. If photoshop doesn't work out for you (it didn't for me... meh :/) you could always try another program. There are absolutely tons of different things out there you could try. If all else fails, you could just keep sketching! It is really an amazing sketch. :D

I'm sure once you get into the swing of things with photoshop, you'll be able to bring this sketch up to par with what you'd like. That aside, it is a fantastic sketch as is; I do like the grumpy look Curtain Call is sporting, and the sketch has a fine attention to detail, especially on the armor scales and mane. It's fine to want to push yourself to do better, but give credit when it's due!

hi hi

I'm not very familiar with new versions of photoshop, but the "connecting lines" problem sounds like you've got some kind of "snap" setting on. Try turning snap off. (in Photoshop 7.0 anyway, its under the view menu) The other possibility is to make sure your shift key isn't stuck or something, since holding down shift will connect the beginning and end of each brush stroke together.

hi hi

I'm not very familiar with new versions of photoshop, but the "connecting lines" problem sounds like you've got some kind of "snap" setting on. Try turning snap off. (in Photoshop 7.0 anyway, its under the view menu) The other possibility is to make sure your shift key isn't stuck or something, since holding down shift will connect the beginning and end of each brush stroke together.

I'll be trying these tonight. Thanks in advance!

Here I am again. With a dollar drawing pad and a mechanical pencil, rather than the one hundred plus (it was a gift, I don't know how much it was) tablet. It taunts me. I'm proud of the pose, not proud of the armor. The shape is wonky, the three quarter angle screwed me up, blah blah blah I hate everything. But anyway. Here's Ironmane, OC ofTrilobite and level 4 Paladin of Princess Platinum. In case it's not clear, it's a girl. Just a big girl. In my head canon, she'd be taller than just about everypony but Big Mac.

Ironmanesketch.jpg

By the way, on her armor is the holy symbol of her order, what with her being a paladin and all. I based it off of Platinum's crown, as per DM's instruction and it's loosely based on Magic the Gathering set icons. I thought it appropriate as they have minimalist shapes but still get the point across as to what it is.

HolySymbolPlatinum.jpg

Grump grump grump. Our Sorcerer should be next.

Grump Grump, the sketch looks fine. If you were to clean up some of the lines you could use a scanner to place the actual sketch in phtoshop. Then all you have to worry about is the shading and color, both of which don't need as steady a hand. Maybe try that method?

Yaay!

Take these brownines. And a hug.

One of the biggest compliments you can pay a GM is being inspired enough by the game to do some creative work with it. Starburst totally deserves it, and you've shown it here.

I like both sketches, because you use dyanamic poses and expressions to show something about the character.

I think the sketch of Curtain Call (who I'm having a blast playing with) is particularly strong. The perspective worked out nicely, especially on the face, and the accoutrements work well.

As for my character (squee!) I love how you styled her hair! As a paladin of Princess Platinum, she of course takes excellent care of her coiffeure, even if it is a coiffeure de guerre. Having it styled into waves like that not only shows that, but makes her pretty, which she definitely is.

I agree that the barding needs some revision, but that's what sketches are for. I urge you to continue working on it, and not just because it's my character!

However, I love love love the design you used, and the way you worked the shapes of the crown into the greaves!

Plus her expression...I could almost think this is how Curtain Call thinks of her. ;D I like the fact that you went with something other than a stern, martial expression, instead opting to show another side of her.

All in all, good work, and I'm looking forward to seeing Bramble Rose and further revisions of these characters.

I did not know you could draw like this! :)

Oh my goodness! Curtain Call looks *incredibly* dashing! and with that rugged jaw, i find it nigh-impossible to believe he can disguise himself as a mare! Bramble *wishes* he had a stalliony jaw like that, or looked half as dashing! And that mane, very heroic!

Needs slight work on the collar - the left side of the collar doesn't match the right side. I'd suggest changing his left (our right) collar to match the far side - it'd be flopping over so we'd see the top ... almost *exactly* like the construction line for the front half of the body there

Ironmane is also very awesome, and I see her as nearly as big as Big Mac, too. I think her neck should be a little smaller, her head just slightly bigger ... but yes, the main problem is the crest on her barding. The issue is the crown-symbol on the front. I love the symbol, you did a great job with it, but you have it facing the viewer head-on. The left half (her right) should be bent away from us, barely visible. Only the closer half should be plainly seen.

I am also extremely eager to see Bramble! *^_^* If you do Bramble. Not saying you have to. But ... eee. *^_^*

Bramble.jpg

On the one hand, I'm pleased with how my placing of circles went. The beginning of this went pretty well actually. I think I steered too close to what the show looks like in search of... some kind of mane to properly (see: awkwardly) suit Bramble Rose, the party Sorcerer. I tried to say with his expression "They grow up so fast" in reference to the massive Timberwolf behind him. And, the more I think about it, the more I get a Calvin and Hobbes feel from them. Can't wait to play Brambleball.

Also, dear Princess Celestia, today I learned that I hate drawing Timberwolves. There is so much... stuff.

Ha ha ha! Yaaay! There is something mischevious in Bramble Rose's grin, and I too get a sort of Calvin and Hobbes vibe, or a good cop/bad cop vibe. Bramble Rose looks like he's willing to be nice to you, but he is in control of this monstrosity, so maybe you'd better just do what he asks.

I think the build and mane look really good. Bramble has always been described as somewhat delicate, and even a little...not effete, he doesn't lack strength of character, but maybe a little effeminate. The delicate limbs, comparitively small body, and long, gorgeous mane all work for that. The fall of the cape and the fold of the collar may need some adjusting, but I'm really not sure. I'd recommend checking some references, if you haven't already, to see how that might work. I know drapery is a thorn in the hoof to draw, from personal experience.

I love the timber wolf! That thing is HUGE! And scary! The teeth turned out really, really well, and the lines of the skull and expression worked out great. Me likey! I encourage you to keep working and refining these, mon ami!

Ooo, I love it! I love the expression on his face as he tries to be awesome. I LOVE how Thorn Blossom looks! You may not like drawing Thorn Wolves, but you did a magnificent job! :) That thing is magnificent!

Trilo is quite right - Bramble has, at times, been mistaken for a filly. Perhaps a slightly rounder muzzle, and a single lash from each eye. Kirby, you mention you feel the mane is awkward - perhaps get rid of the curl of mane on 'our side', and make the farther side a little longer? As for the cloak, I agree, drawing draped cloth is hard. I think it would be the right lapel (our left) - it needs to curve around him, and at the way it's currently curved, we need to see the cloak going back to his side, from the corner. See the underside of it. Instead, it just ends.

I hope you don't mind my little comments like that. *^_^* I prefer analysis of my stuff, so I try to do the same for others. Please don't take them to mean I think it's bad... it's just a few small things, but ultimately, I love it! I'm so excited! *^_^* Bramble is obviously either in the middle of putting on a show, or in the middle of being surprised that something he did worked. :) And again, just wow... Thorn Blossom turned out great. Absolutely amazing. You did a great job!

Ouu, I really like your style! It's very angular compared to the show's, but I think it gives your pictures character. I also like how they're a bit taller than regular MLP style, too.

I find myself influenced by Timm and Dini's animation style. I'm not sure if that's a good thing.