QuickLime

DecibelDisc2.jpg

Roleplay Type: Mane Roleplay

Name: Decibel Disc Stage Name: DJ N3ON

Sex:Male

Species: Unicorn

Eye Color: Maroon almost red

Coat Color: Pale brown almost a toasted white

Mane/Tail/Markings Color & Style: His mane hangs over the right side of his face and is razor cut so it has a super straight edge to it, the base color is a pale turquoise with pale green highlights, his tail is cut short and is also striped with the same colors as his mane.

Physique: Due to constantly trying to look his best he is slightly buff in the chest but still slender in the middle and down the legs, his body is also rather tall to support his slender, but slightly buff frame.

Cutie Mark: a Pair of old style Headphones that are pulsing out sound waves on both sides, behind it is a cracked music note.

Origin/Residence: Was born in Canterlot, travels from town to town now.

Occupation: He’s a hack, using his abilities to make a big flashy show to get ponies excited and riled up about his music… which mostly consists of recuts and copies of already famous DJs

Motivation: His original motivation was to be a great mixer of music, to make people feel a certain way with his music, but now his only drive is to bask in glory and wealth!

Likes: Bits GLORIOUS BITS!, Attention, Fame, Praise, Glory!

Dislikes: Djs that are BENEATH him (Translation: “He hates all DJS with actual talent that they can use to express themselves”)

Character Summary:

Decibel’s family was talented, they were all high end performers and artists of the highest degree, so at a young age the colt was pumped full of expectations he could probably never meet, they expected him to be amazing instantly and sadly that wasn’t the case, One day while the frustrated young unicorn tried to figure out what he was good at he looked at a DJ set up at a club his Father was performing at and had left it unattended, the young eager colt went up to try and figure out how to use it, easily cobbling together a half decent remix that made other ponies at least give him a little attention! But what really won them over was the colts natural show man abilities, charming them with sweet talk and playing old favorites, nothing creative at all just stuff that had been done before but he did it in such a way he received his cutie mark, a pair of headphones very similar to the big ones he was wearing, a cracked music note to symbolize remade music stitched together, and a few bright sparks of light behind it to symbolize his natural talent to put on a show.

He got in a good deal of trouble for this from his father whom was FURIOUS his Son couldn’t get by on his OWN talent and had resulted to cheesy remixes and a big flashy show to get attention, and insisted to the young colt that he really needed to expand his own music and not use others as a crutch. Signing the boy up for lessons to properly learn the fine art of making ones OWN music and doing it proffesionally.

Decibel was bitterly disappointed his father wasn’t proud of his talent, after all he had still gotten attention! But even he knew that it had been a hollow victory and vowed to try his best to show the world his own talents. But no matter how hard he tried the poor boy had the bare minimal talent for DJing! Sure it could sound okay but nothing that was praise worthy, he couldn’t seem to create anything new that other ponies enjoyed! Whenever he made his own music putting his heart and soul in it? The other ponies HATED it, seemingly only caring about the remixes and stuff that already relied on what more successful DJ’S had done before him.

Decibel got MAD! Why didn’t he have the talent to create beautiful art!? The flaw was obviously not with his OWN talent but with everypony else! They couldn’t see it! They just …just wanted a show ! Flashy lights! Throbbing beats! All they want is noise! Well if THAT’S all they want then that’s what Decibel is going to give them!

Decibel stopped trying to be creative, he stopped writing music and focused his talent on remixes and a show instead; Instead of a deep song with soul he focused on pyrotechnics and flashing strobe lights to utterly overwhelm the listeners senses so by the end of the night all they remembered was the sweet loud party and not the music at all… Decibel hides his disappointment that his creativity got him nowhere by surrounding himself with his groupies and fan girls that think no matter what he spews out he’s awesome!

Maybe one day he’ll realize that not all creative talent is appreciated at first, but right now he’s making his way through life, leaving behind small ripples but never waves…

DjPony.png

The concept for the character is fantastic, a character who can stir up a little trouble is usually a great thing to have, and his special talent is quite unique, in my humble opinion. One question though, do ponies relized they've been um... tricked (manipulated, brainwashed... I'm not sure which,) when they regain their senses, because if so I would imagine he would be a wanted pony as well, or does it result in some amnisia of some kind, and if so are there ever any ill effects beacause of it (ponies forgetting where they are, waking up in the street, etc.)?

(You helped me with my app, thought I'd write something for your's, hope it helps.)

The concept for the character is fantastic, a character who can stir up a little trouble is usually a great thing to have, and his special talent is quite unique, in my humble opinion. One question though, do ponies relized they've been um... tricked (manipulated, brainwashed... I'm not sure which,) when they regain their senses, because if so I would imagine he would be a wanted pony as well, or does it result in some amnisia of some kind, and if so are there ever any ill effects beacause of it (ponies forgetting where they are, waking up in the street, etc.)?

(You helped me with my app, thought I'd write something for your's, hope it helps.)

Its mostly later a sense of being REALLY ripped off "..Wait why the HAY was I going crazy for this guy!? His music stinks!" -raeg-

It just makes you for a little while think it's AMAZING but after it wears off it's just "Ewww.."

Comments in red!

Mane/Tail/Markings Color & Style: His mane hangs over the right side of his face and is razor cut so it has a super straight edge to it, the base color is a pail (pale) turquoise with pail (pale) green highlights, his tail is cut short and is also striped with the same colors as his mane.

Physique: Due to constantly trying to look his best he is slightly buff in the chest but still slender in the middle and down the legs, his body is also rather tall to support his slender (,) but slightly buff frame.

Cutie Mark: a Pair of Headphones that are pulsing out sound waves on both sides, behind it is a cracked music note. (What style headphones? You might want to not make them too modern or else it seems out of place.)

Origin/Residence: Was born in Canterlot, travels from town to town now.

Occupation: He’s a hack, using his abilities to make ponies go crazy for his music , takes their money then skips off to the next town before he is found out.

Motivation: His original motivation was to be a great mixer of music, to make people feel a certain way with his music, but now his only drive is to bask in glory and wealth!

Likes: Bits GLORIOUS BITS!, Attention, Fame, Praise, Glory!

Dislikes: Dj’ (no ' ) s that are BENEATH him (Aka actually talented individuals)

Character Summary: Decibel’s family was talented, they were all high end performers and artists of the highest degree, so at a young age the colt was pumped full of expectations he could probably never meet, they expected him to be amazing instantly and sadly that wasn’t the case, One day while the frustrated young unicorn tried to figure out what he was good at he looked at a DJ set up at a club his Father was performing at and had left it unattended, a thought crossed his mind and his eyes glanced up to his horn and he thought...and thought… a sly smirk sliding across his face.

Approaching the stand and slipping the headphones on he pulled the Mic over to his mouth “Attention PartyGoers! By the end of tonight You will be remembering my name!” He exclaimed, Horn pulsing with teal magic as he turned the music on, sending a shock through the vibrations of the music he implanted a thought in (I think that mind control is one of those powers that is frowned upon in Canterlot, you might want to check with a mod) pony(') s minds as he started to play the Turn Tables…HE was /TERRIBLE/ However his magic made ponies in the crowd go CRAZY! They cheered like he had actual talent and he felt a bit of a sting as his cutie mark appeared since he apparently had the ability to manipulate ponies through music.

He got in a good deal of trouble for this from his father whom was FURIOUS his Son couldn’t get by on his OWN talent and had resulted to manipulation, and was even more disappointed that that appeared to be the boys special talent! To counteract that he pushed the boy to actually learn the equipment and to legitimately learn the skill he had faked earlier.

Decibel was bitterly disappointed his father wasn’t proud of his talent, after all wasn’t the MAGIC his own talent!? But regardless he tried but the poor boy had NO talent for DJing! Sure it could sound okay but nothing that was praise worthy, one night fed up with trying and perpetually failing again and again he snapped kicking his stand.

“I DO NOT NEED TO KNOW THIS TO BE FAMOUS!” He exclaimed (,) eyes narrowing with rage “I AM DECIBEL I AM AMAZING AND TALENTED! AND IF I HAVE TO FORCE OTHERS TO SEE IT THEN SO BE IT!”

He packed up that night and headed out to “Show” The world how talented he was, using his magic to manipulate ponies into thinking he was a sensation, sadly it would never be the same satisfaction of being truly talented as the Magic wore off mere hours after he was done playing, long enough to create a ripple but not a wave.

His magic he found (you might want to use a different word, or expand this to explain that it was discovered within himself) is also fickle, (; instead of ,) certain ponies it had NO effect on at all! Mostly older ponies , ponies that were known for being stubborn and set in their ways, and even other unicorns seemed to have a way to be unaffected by the magic. It working the strongest on young fillies and colts to make them go crazy (,) much to the confusion of their parents.

The Magic is easily blocked with ear plugs, hats, anything that covers the ears really, and once it wears off it generally makes somepony feel ripped off or annoyed that they wasted time and money on some poser hack. (Muhahahah, I feel this way every time I listen to top 40 radio and the song is catchy.)

One day maybe he’ll be genuine and find something that fills that hole in his heart , but his pride is so gloated and his ego so big that it’s going to take a serious schooling to teach this poser that manipulation always falls when faced with true talent.

You also weirdly have double spaces all throughout your application, should be a quick find-and-replace in a text editor.

That being said he's kind of hilarious and such a jerk that he meets my expectations for villains in Canterlot. Not evil, no nefarious supervillian with tremenous power...just kind of an unpleasant jerk. I'd really check on the mind control thing, though. I know I've seen applications rejected in the past because of it.

I hope he gains fans that inside know he's terrible but pretend that other ponies just don't get "His Artistry" which is usually the excuse people have for liking stuff like Merzbow (which I kind of do but recognize that liking it is akin to insanity).

Um..thanks Scotchy but I didn't really need you to copy my app and point out every little spelling error in it.. ._.; I'v got an editor to do that and she's presently busy and is going to do it before I hit final..

I'd rather you just post comments on the actual character not dissect every grammar and punctuation slip up.

Love the name! :)

The descriptions are very well done, however lack a bit of punctuation. But I'm sure your editor will get to that, and the spelling errors.

You say he hates actually talented individuals, which confused me, considering he is so popular already. I'm sure he has at least a bit of talent (and if not, he does in the sense of con-ing!)

Does it sting when you get your Cutie Mark, as you so described? Or was that only because of the environment/personality? You may want to clarify that...

His story is quite sad, really. He will never have a very special talent that will make a difference or be appreciated in the world. At some point in time, he may get depressed, or go crazy, or get caught in the act. Do you think he realises this aspect of his world, or is he too blinded by pride? This too is something you may want to go into greater detail with.

I do enjoy a darker character, one that is less moral and more selfish. When this gets accepted, I'd love to RP with you! :D

• 4 weeks later...

The primary issue I have with this is that it suggests Decibel Disc’s special talent is essentially mind control. The quality of music is fairly subjective. Declaring that Decibel Disc’s magic can make his music seem objectively better subverts this axiom. Dazzling an audience with showmanship and overwhelming them with senses is one thing, altering their fundamental understanding of the music is something else entirely.

Might I suggest (forgive the pun) that he utilize showmanship and the power of suggestion to accomplish his aims? Some flashing lights, a lot of grandstanding, a bit of hypnosis, and he’s able to take those who are susceptible to such things into his thrall to sell out his shows. But as soon as they realize what’s going on, they no longer hear what they want to hear and can react appropriately.

This creates some new themes for the character: he’s great at showmanship, but terrible at creating music, but doesn’t want to fully acknowledge that. Will he continue pursuing his dream of becoming a star DJ or will he finally acknowledge that he’s much better at creating a show than he is at playing one?

Dio your post is implying that I need to fully and utterly re write this character in order to use him, He was supposed to be a low level villain, I do not want to make him Trixie, I went through great creative lenghts to NOT have him be Trixie, what you are wanting to do is make him Trixie...

I did go through a lot of work and waited a long time for this character to be accepted, however if you are wanting me to fully and utterly change him then I'd rather you just delete this app I don't want him to be a Trixie clone.

From reading the application, he doesn't have real mind control abilities but simply the ability to use subliminal messages to influence and manipulate those were were already easily susceptible and willing to be influenced (consciously or unconsciously) and that he cannot influence anyone otherwise, especially those who are suspicious, not liking the music, or simply have lack of interest; in short he can only influence the already willing.

Yeah he's only going to affect you if you are open to it, if you arn't all you are gonna get is a headache...and that's not even from his manipulation..that's from the fact his music sounds reallly bad think Justin Bieber fused with Hannah Montanna fused with Chipmunks...

For me that is pretty acceptable, it is attempting to use magic to mimic subliminal messages through music; it is more manipulation akin to underhanded advertisement techniques versus actual mind-control (the latter sadly being shown to be possible in Lesson Zero).

I'd still say it looks like mind control and that yes, in fact, you really should consider giving this character a rewrite. Though your use of it is reasonably benign, it sets a precedent that could become incredibly problematic if other users decide to use this one as an example of abilities allowed.

I'd still say it looks like mind control and that yes, in fact, you really should consider giving this character a rewrite. Though your use of it is reasonably benign, it sets a precedent that could become incredibly problematic if other users decide to use this one as an example of abilities allowed.

I never liked the idea of "someone just may and try to abuse the general idea someday, so lets ban the entire concept" approach; how far would one get with that in the long run other than an crushing all kinds of imaginative characters or storytelling?

The application still suggests mind control to me. I was looking for the keyword "suggestion." Some people like going along with things and will thus go along with ridiculous things when prompted to do so. Others do not. You can do smooth talking, show boating, and add all sorts of cosmetic razzle dazzle to the performance to suggest things but you can't force or trick people into liking the show if they don't like it. He's not the Pied Piper of Ponyville with his flute or Harbinger with indoctrination.

I'm asking for a rewording and clarification of what he does. If you feel that sort of change warrants a complete withdrawal of the application, that's your prerogative. Let me know what you intend to do.

The application still suggests mind control to me. I was looking for the keyword "suggestion." Some people like going along with things and will thus go along with ridiculous things when prompted to do so. Others do not. You can do smooth talking, show boating, and add all sorts of cosmetic razzle dazzle to the performance to suggest things but you can't force or trick people into liking the show if they don't like it. He's not the Pied Piper of Ponyville with his flute or Harbinger with indoctrination.

I'm asking for a rewording and clarification of what he does. If you feel that sort of change warrants a complete withdrawal of the application, that's your prerogative. Let me know what you intend to do.

Would it be acceptable if he influenced those through subliminal messages who already like the show or into his music? In short, influence the willing (rather than just plan mind-control, of influence the unwilling). For the unwilling or non-fan, he can attempt to woo them through showponyship and music so they become the willing and only then be susceptible to sub-conscious influences from him? This wouldn't be nearly anything like Mass Effect Indoctrination (which both influences the willing and unwilling and ultimately controls to the point one is a total mind-slave versus just influencing). I am just trying to find a compromise here to make everyone happy as I feel the character has potential.

Um, comparing your current post to the post that Scotchie made, giving you a full set of rather viable spelling and grammatical corrections that you seem to have passed up, the only changes are that it's shorter, and he's gone from 'no talent' to 'minimal talent'. It also strikes me that this character would be pretty doomed the first time somebody took a live recording of him and distributed it to his 'fans', where his magic would have no ability to compensate for his lack of talent. It further occurs that, if he's to be as arrogant and underwhelming as what you've written for his personality, that nobody would actually want him on their stage - he'd likely have to pay for many of his performances himself, and that quickly stops being profitable for what is in short a novelty act.

You haven't really incorperated any of the suggested changes, nothing about a focus on showmanship or flare, nothing about using charm or flashy effects to win over an audience. His mane is still "a pale turquoise with pail green highlights" [sic], and the application still smacks very heavily of 'mind control'; you don't use those exact words, but it is still very heavily implied.