[Germaney] A trip, Unter-grund [Invite-Only]

Halide

"I'm just not stupid. I'm not the type to just buy into hype easily."

Ok, not buying into hype was smart. Ignition would admit that just as quickly as anyone. Just so long as she managed to get featherface to come along for the fly, that was fine with her. Gilda seemed like she needed reminding that not all pegasi were weak-willed, dorky sociophiles anyhow, and after a hard day's stagework, she could use a hard night of loud music, stinging air, mosh pits, bruises and brutish behavior. Unter-grund, a precise if not-too-imaginative name, was one of her favourite hangouts of all time, ever, in her whole life, in all of Equestria, and Luna could go suck on the moon if she wasn't going to drag a new friend down to it.

Still, the dimmed lights of a mostly-sleeping Germaney lay below, reducing visibility a bit. A little harder to see, but she knew where she was going. There was the urge to ask Gilda how good her night-vision was... but then she realized that it was kinda stupid. What was the use asking someone how good their ability to see in the dark was when they had no way of comparing to eachother? Instead, Ignition just swooped a little closer to Gilda, pointing towards a somewhat squalid, squat, brick-and-mortar sort of buliding. Flecked paint attempted to hide the structure's moderately marred modesty.

"There's the spot! I hope you didn't have your hopes up for a pretty little pony-prance, that place is way uglier on the inside. C'mon, I'll show you in. Oh, uh, don't talk in earshot of the bouncers if you don't know Germane, though. They don't like 'tourists'."

And, with that warning dropped, Ignition circled the building a few times, then decided to just land on top of it for a moment, stretching her wings. A shake of her mane, putting it back in place a bit better, and a quick stretch of her legs had Ignition ready to go. "Unless you wanna take five before heading in, instead. That's cool too."

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gilda wasn't sure what to make of the place Ignition lead her to. On the outside, it was kind of unspectacular but the pony had really built it up. They had flown a long way just to hang out here so it had better be good.

"There's the spot! I hope you didn't have your hopes up for a pretty little pony-prance, that place is way uglier on the inside. C'mon, I'll show you in. Oh, uh, don't talk in earshot of the bouncers if you don't know Germane, though. They don't like 'tourists'."

Gilda wasn't one to judge a place by the outside; if it had a good atmosphere, she could get into it just fine. She wasn't too picky there. She had to raise an eyebrow at the second part of her comments though. She wondered if this pony was maybe forgetting something.

"Not sure you remember this or not, but I'm a griffon," Gilda said, tilting her head. "And we kind of live clear on the other side of the continent. I kind of doubt I'm going to trick anyone into thinking I'm a local."

The pony started to fly around before adding, "Unless you wanna take five before heading in, instead. That's cool too."

"Nah, I'm good. We've taken enough time getting here, might as well see what this place is all about," Gilda answered with a shrug, ready to get things started.

"Not sure you remember this or not, but I'm a griffon,"

Whoa Whoa Whoa whoa whoa whoa hold up hold up, hold..... up. Gilda was a griffon? Celestia's tailfeathers, that was one staggering revalation. She was talking to an actual real-live Griffon and she had only just realized it!? Ignition might have given her mythical feathered friend a shocked - nay, a simply devastated look, but she was too busy having her mind blown into a low Earth orbit. Except not really, but she did decide to skip out on engaging in full-feathered sarcasm.

"And we kind of live clear on the other side of the continent. I kind of doubt I'm going to trick anyone into thinking I'm a local."

"Hey, just givin' you a heads-up. C'mon."

And, then, down to the rather beat-up iron-framed wooden door down below, guarded by a unicorn with a slightly singed horn and a pegasus with wing-piercings, neither of which looked particularly happy. Ignition took point, as it were, speaking in a curt, slightly aloof manner.

"Guten Abend, Bluter. Lassen sie uns im inneren." (( Good evening, Bluter. Let us in. ))

A raised eyebrow from the pierced pegasus, a glance from Ignition to Gilda, and a studious gaze. Seems he wasn't entirely fine with Ignition bringing along unexpected friends.

"Sie ... eine der wache? Ich werde nicht in snitches lassen." (( ...Who's she, a guard? I won't let in a snitch. ))

A dismissive wave of her hoof, a slightly annoyed tone creeping into her voice. Apparently, not acting like you could be pushed around was a big deal.

"Sie ist sauber. Mach dir keine sorgen dein hübsches köpfchen." ((She's cool. Don't worry your pretty head. ))

A snort from the pierced pegasus, and a brief mocking tone as a few choice words were thrown back at Ignition. Apparently, he didn't like the 'pretty head' remark.

"Sie besser sein, oder es werde dein 'hübsches köpfchen' sein, Tinte. Gehen sie auf." (( She'd better be, or it'll be your 'pretty head' that needs worrying about, Inky. Go on in. ))

With a glow of the unicorn's chipped horn, the door was unlatched, then opened, revealing a dirty stone stairway down. A gust of slightly cold, acrid air wafted out to greet the two entrants - it might sting Gilda's eyes a bit, though whether or not she managed to pick up the smell of slightly-fermented lemon was up to her beak. More than the smell and the sting, however, was the sound - semi-comprehensible heavy rock - RamStein, if Gilda happened to know it - bellowed below a clamor of hooves and raised voices, of glasses and mugs being pounded on a huge, creaky wooden table, as well as the occasional sound of hoof against flesh.

Though Ignition led the way, Gilda might be able to get a decent look of the scene itself - there were ponies here, mostly, though perhaps there might be another griphon around, maybe a dragon if she kept her eyes in the dark, slightly acidic atmosphere. A pit seemed to be designated for 'dancing' at the far end of the bar, in front of a wooden stage that had seen way too many bottles of drink thrown at it. Currently. the stage had fallen host to a couple of earth ponies locked in hoof-to-hoof pugilism, with bets being placed wildly between the two rather large ponies. To the left, a long and somewhat patchwork bar, wrought from more iron than wood, with a couple of rather fetching gothic mares taking care of serving drinks. To the right, mostly just a lot of rather beat-up looking seats, a few scattered dancers, a couple of groups of friends sharing stories and laughing derisively at eachother. Ignition got a few glances, Gilda got a few more, but it seemed most of the crowd was wrapped up in themselves, and no-one was looking to start trouble right off the bat.

"Hah! Didn't think they'd have stagefights tonight! Cool!" A somewhat cocky grin, a flip of her mane, and Ignition headed barwards. "C'mon. I'll buy you a drink."

Gilda listened closely as Ignition talked with the two at the door. She rather disliked the idea of conversations where she didn't understand what was being said. Kinda made her feel dumb. The fact that they were rather clearly talking about her didn't make it any better either. She tried to look cool and act like it didn't bother her, but the stares of the ponies definitely could be felt. This must be how ponies feel out in Aquelia, she figured. Thinking like that, she felt a small amount of sympathy for some of the ponies she had given the business to before.

Eventually the Germane conversation ended and they were allowed in. Gilda followed eagerly. Looking around the place, it was definitely pretty hardcore. It reminded her of one or two places she had visited back in Talonopolis, except perhaps even rougher. Griffons were one thing though; she hadn't expected ponies could get so rough and edgy. The music was loud and rocking and the atmosphere was dangerous and exciting in all the right ways. Sure, she still felt the eyes on her, but she could endure it. This place was cool.

"Heh. Yeah, gotta admit I'm impressed. This really ain't so bad, pony," she said, glancing toward the ponies fighting on stage. This really was a wild place. "Get me whatever you think it good," she added. She could already assume that she wouldn't be familiar with the drinks on the menu, and doubted they had many Aquelian imports. After being brought to this place, she trusted Ignition's judgement though.

• 2 weeks later...

"Heh. Yeah, gotta admit I'm impressed. This really ain't so bad, pony," Hey, similar tastes still, right? That was good.

"Hey, glad all my jawing off about this place hasn't totally dissapointed yet." And, somewhere in Ignition - somewhere deep, dark, and locked up in a few dozen cages, there was a spark of contention. Buried under the rush of the heavy music, the releif of hitting a good night, and the edgy, sardonic vibe she usually had going, she was glad for the approval. Still, she wasn't about to admit it.

"Get me whatever you think is good."

Oh, and now she had to make decisions? Daaaaang. Still, better to start the night off with a buzz - three shots of zap-apple juice could really wind someone up! Mix that in with some sharp lime to give it a taste that said 'I'm not here to mess around', throw in a little spice, and you had a Stinger. Of course, there were other drinks. The Rocky Balboa was good for, well, something - nobody was really sure what raw eggs in orange juice was supposed to accomplish, but the big burly stallions sure ordered it often enough. There was also the Wormwood-flavoured cider, Stalliongrad Potato Juice (which, really, nobody actually wanted, but it was there nonetheless), and a whole bunch of other things on tap of lesser note. Eh, go with the classics.

All this, of course, was decided in just a second or three as Ignition headed for a table, giving one of the barmaids a nod.

"Hören Sie, Barbesitzer! Zwei Stacheln, frische bitte." (( 'Scuz me, waitress! Two fresh stingers, please))

Not that the gothic-looking unicorn seemed to pay Ignition much mind - a brief glance, and something of a shrug. That was, apparently, good enough for an order - one which seemed to be gone and back again in mere moments, the bored-looking mare setting the ordered drinks down on the table just as Ignition managed to sit down. They were actually kind of pretty, insomuch as the liquid in each hoof-sized slightly-dirty glass glowed dimly with each colour of the rainbow, fading from one diluted hue to the next.

"Stingers. Good way to start a night, if you're not looking to relax for a few hours. Don't drink it too fast, though. Might numb your face!" A wry smirk, and a lifting of her glass. "Unless you gryphons are made of way sturdier stuff than anypony I've met. Y'never know."

"Stingers. Good way to start a night, if you're not looking to relax for a few hours. Don't drink it too fast, though. Might numb your face! Unless you gryphons are made of way sturdier stuff than anypony I've met. Y'never know."

Gilda gave a hard laugh and shook her head. "Tch, ain't that the truth. Believe me, we griffons are far tougher. We have absolutely no reason to fear some lame pony drink."

Her words said, Gilda prepared to back them up, grabbing her Stinger and downing half of it all at once and then slamming her glass back down, confident it had had no effect on her. Stuff went down fairly easy; even tasted pretty good. It was no trouble getting it down. She then tried to smirk as she prepared to gloat at her victory, but was met with a numb pain. Sure enough, she had lost much of the feeling in her face.

"What the--? Gah! What's in this stuff?" she started, barely able to even talk right, her beak not wanting to open to let the words out, and her tongue barely working well enough to form them in the first place. "Ugh..."

She groaned loudly and made the mistake to look around, noticing she had attracted a few eyes and even a few jeers. Okay, she listened to the pony from now on. She didn't want to make herself look like some kind of dweeb, not in a place like this. She had to play it cool. Here were some ponies that were actually cool; she couldn't blow this and make herself look lame around them.

"Gah... how long does this stuff last...?" she asked Ignition, still feeling the Stinger's effect.

There was absolutely nothing that wasn't funny about that. So, hey, a little laughter was called for!

"Pfffhahaha! Oh, man, guess you guys get just as buzzed by Zap Apple juice as anyone else. Ahhh... heh. Well, hey, you're able to talk, so you're still doing better than my first shot at that stuff. But, uh, mostly, it's the Zap Apple juice. There's some lime and a little tabasco for flavour, too. I always start my night off with one or two. Tasty, and energizing!" A grin, then another sip of her own drink. A large-ish sip, but hardly the 'drink it all in one go' the pegasus had warned against. The grin faded into just a hint of a smile - more friendly, less laughing.

"You want another? Or maybe something with a little more bite t-" Suddenly, a rather heavy impact from the stage-fight, aaaaand that was a tooth that clattered all the way across their table, then off under some other random patron's seat. "Whoa. Sucker-bucked. Guess tonight's Bluterguss didn't feel like fighting pretty; I'm not gonna shove my way on stage tonight." A shrug, and then, a bit more of her drink. "Anyhow, another drink or two, or didjya wanna hit the mosh pit for some slam-dancing?"

Gilda just glared at the pony as she laughed at her. She supposed she couldn't blame her. She'd have done the same and probably harder if the roles were reversed. Still, it was never fun to be laughed at, and it was even worse with a numbed beak. There wasn't really anything to say. She was the stupid one here for not listening, so all she could do here was shake her head and give a resigned sigh along with an unenthusiastic "Shut up..." to the pony as she talked about and demonstrated her expertise in drinking the Stinger.

The griffon was surprised to then see the tooth fly across the table. She recoiled slightly, feeling a sympathy pain in her beak. Wow, these ponies were really being brutal. Griffons, sure. You could easily find a place in Talonopolis where griffons clawed and pecked at each other until they were bloody and faint, but for ponies to be bucking each others teeth out... that still came as something of a shock. It wasn't like Gilda wasn't at all familiar with ponykind; between much of her youth spent in Ponyville and all her travels, she had a better than average knowledge of ponies compared to the common griffon. She had never seen anything like this though. She had always kind of figured Rainbow Dash was about as tough as ponies got, but evidently, it could go a few levels past that.

"Yeah, nothing wrong with a good fight, but I think I'll be sticking out of that as well," Gilda said, looking at the stage as she took another, smaller sip of her Stinger. It actually tasted pretty good this time, even if it didn't help the condition of her mouth.

She nodded to Ignition and started. "I think I'll try another drink. Something else though; something that won't keep my beak all numb..."

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, the gryphon wanted another drink? Fine, no problem. So long as she'd get up and dance sometime before everypony and everything on the floor ran out of moxy, Ignition didn't really care. Sure, boxing tonight was out of the question, but the show on stage had rowdied up the mosh pit a bit; hard not to get in a rough mood when a couple big bruisers were kicking teeth out and knocking heads. It might have been one of the edgiest clubs she'd ever managed to find, but some part of her wondered if Gilda knew of better - she seemed to be downplaying it a bit. Did Gryphons have it better? Who knew, and for now, who cared?

Oh, but what to order... the fermented drinks might be an option, but those were not pleasant, and pretty tough to try and handle on an empty stomach. No, stick to the regular drinks, leave the potato burners for another time. Something hot? ...Oooh, liquid lava. There was a way to burn some tastebuds. Adabo-soaked chipotles, pureed into lemon-juice, then heated to just under a simmer, with a dash of ground, dried habanero on top. Actually, tasty, save for the fact it burned like nothing else. She'd have one, but... for the gryphon, maybe something less ridiculous. Nothing sweet or bland, that was pretty certain. Oh, there's one. A Dragonfire! Spicy, a little salty, a bit tangy, and also on fire. That was a cool drink!

Ignition knocked back the last horseshoe of her drink, bucking her head briefly after swallowing - headrush, crazy. Whoops, that was a bit fast - the inked-up pegasus made a few faces, trying to get her mouth to co-operate again.

"A'ight, 'nother.... Ngh. Alright, another drink it is. Barbesitzer!"

A moment passed before the gothic server showed up again.

"Eine flüssige Lava, zwei Drachenfeuer, und zündholz, bitte."

The order was taken, quickly enough and without any real response from the waitress, but soon enough, she brought back a tray of three drinks - one, the liquid lava, a sickly, speckled red that had the sort of smell that stung at the nostrils, and the other two, deep-blue, slightly-luminescent concoctions. All three were placed on the table, and a packet of matches with them, which the budding pyromaniac was more than happy to pick up and start toying with.

"So, you know how to drink a flaming shot, or do you want me to demonstrate?"

Gilda stared at the drinks, at the matches and at the pony, completely confused. Okay, something here didn't quite compute. Was this pony about to light their drinks on fire? If so, why? From her experience fire was kinda hot and not really something you wanted in close proximity to your beak. Flaming shot? That really just kind of didn't sound like a very good idea. These drinks already looked weird enough without fire becoming involved. That said, she did need something to wake up her mouth after the last drink... Maybe.

"Okay, you got me curious, pony," Gilda said with a smirk. "How does this work? What in all Tartarus is a flaming shot and how does it not burn your blasted beak off?"

If anything, she had to admire the pony's creativity with these drinks. In griffon bars, things were kept comparatively simple save for a few popular mixed drinks. Mostly the bitter, fermented stuff was what was popular. Some of it was a little harsh for Gilda's tastes but she'd usually force it down anyway rather than ordering something milder and looking like a lightweight. At the very least, in most places around Talonopolis, Gilda was pretty sure you'd get your face clawed up pretty good if you tried to light someone's drink on fire.

[colour=#996699]"How does this work? What in all Tartarus is a flaming shot and how does it not burn your blasted beak off?"[/colour]

Ha! She just got coolpoints right there. She was so cool right now. Or, at least, so Ignition thought, whether or not 'cool points' existed or if, in fact, they could be traded in for valuable prizes at a later time was entirely up to Gilda. However, Ignition pretended not to care about that enough to ask. So, instead, demonstrate!

[colour=#ff0000]"Simple. The top layer of the drink is really flammable, just because of the chemistry. But, how you drink it? One of three ways. If you're a unicorn or a gryphon who's really really good at handling their drinks, you take it straight, and snuff it out in your mouth before it burns you too bad. If you're not crazy, but still want to taste burning liquids, you drink it through a glass straw, from the bottom up. But, the average sorta pony just lights it up, then blows it out before drinking it."[/colour]

And, with that, a flick of the match set it alight, and Ignition turned her own drink into a dimly-burning blue lamp. She gave it a cocky grin, then picked it up, and appeared to drink it, still alight. A careful eye, or a careful sense of touch, might notice her blowing it out as she began to pour the liquid into her mouth. A slightly-singed lip, but still, a successful bit of showmanship.

[colour=#ff0000]"Or you can be really crazy and practise it too much at home until you get it right, just to look cool. Though..."[/colour]

Ignition picked up another match, preparing to set Gilda's drink aflame, lowering her voice a bit as she leaned her head forward.

[colour=#ff0000]"Don't tell anyone, but I actually just blow mine out juuuust before it reaches my mouth. Oh, yeah, if you're gonna blow it out, just a quick puff of air. You don't want to spill it."[/colour]

And, with another flick of her hoof, that was a lit match! Which, quickly enough, turned into a lit drink and another big smirk from the pegasus. With her flaming drink gone, Ignition picked up the liquid lava, holding it between her hooves, raising it gently in a toast.

[colour=#ff0000]"Cheers!"[/colour]

"Simple. The top layer of the drink is really flammable, just because of the chemistry. But, how you drink it? One of three ways. If you're a unicorn or a gryphon who's really really good at handling their drinks, you take it straight, and snuff it out in your mouth before it burns you too bad. If you're not crazy, but still want to taste burning liquids, you drink it through a glass straw, from the bottom up. But, the average sorta pony just lights it up, then blows it out before drinking it."

Gilda listened nodded. How interesting, and just a little bit mental. What insane pony had thought this up? As she watched the pony light her drink, she had to admit it looked bucking awesome. It was all blue and glowing, and watching the pony drink it definitely made Ignition seem cooler. Gilda was suddenly eager to try it.

"Or you can be really crazy and practise it too much at home until you get it right, just to look cool. Though... Don't tell anyone, but I actually just blow mine out juuuust before it reaches my mouth. Oh, yeah, if you're gonna blow it out, just a quick puff of air. You don't want to spill it."

Ah, so that was the trick to it, huh? That was pretty cool. Gilda nodded as the drink was lit for her. She reached for it and raised it to meet the pony's drink for the toast. "Heh. Yeah, cheers, I guess."

She looked at the flaming drink and nodded. Gilda didn't have very good luck. She made frequent miscalculations and often they would bite her back rather cruelly. Her not heeding the pony's warning with the earlier drink had been a good example. With her mouth still half numb, she was more aware of this than usual. She just knew that if she tried anything too flashy with this brink, her tongue was going to end up charred. At the same time, electively taking the loser option just wasn't Gilda's style.

Ultimately, she just decided to try and match the pony and not exceed her. She raised the glass and just before drinking it, blew out the flame. As it were, it wasn't so clean as Ignition. She hesitated for a few seconds and you could definitely tell she was blowing the fire out, which probably cost her a number of style points. Nevertheless, she got the drink down and replaced the glass on the table. The taste was interesting. Complex. Gilda liked it. The heat was different. it wasn't so bad as to leave her taste buds raw like she had feared it might. It was kind of pleasant actually.

"Heh. That wasn't so bad at all," she said with a nod. She looked at the interesting red drink the pony was now working on. "What's that one you got? It smells... spicy..." she said. She had noticed the pungent smell of the drink for a while now, but only now had decided to question it.

A slow nod from Ignition, a look that seemed a bit impressed. "Hey, not bad for your first try. Actually, pretty darn good. The last idiot I took this place to actually closed their eyes and tried to take it flambe. Spilled it all the way down his chest. Managed to put it out before it did him any permanent damage, but wow did it ever misfire - literally."

A slow, cautious sip of the red drink, but she'd forgotten a quick, simple equation : spicy drink + burn on lip = There are no utterances for this equation but those of pain. That.... ow, that was a really bad plan, and it made her eyes water a bit. She was quick to wipe her lip with a hoof, even if it was a little dirty, that meant less pain.

"What's that one you got? It smells... spicy..."

"This? Liquid lava. Chipotles in adobo, pureed in lemon juice, sprinkled with habanero. *Cough-cough, cough* It's... basically, it's spicy in its purest drinkable form. Like, it will give you mild burns if you leave it on your skin for too long kind of spicy. It's said this one got invented when some crazy unicorn was trying to find a sprayable liquid that'd burn somepony's nose and eyes so hard they'd be incapacitated, without causing any permanent damage. A sort of peppery spray, I guess."

Another sip, a wheeze from the pegasus. This was... basically the angriest drink she'd put her tongue near, and if not for the numb of the stinger it would've been wholly overwhelming. Dang, now she felt silly. A couple slightly raspy breaths later, and she continued.

"Except, his numbskull apprentice thought it was a potion, and drank it! Heh, heh... it kinda caught on with the spicy crowd, but uh, I actually haven't found anything that wasn't a paste that's spicier than this. It's like drinking a hotsauce that's decided it hates tastebuds. ...In hindsight, kinda regretting that I ordered it."

And, with that, the two-thirds full shot was placed on the table once more, daring anyone to drink it, It had a cup full of angry, and a head full of habanero! Drink...but very carefully. It was not, in fact, actual molten rock, but it wanted to emulate such dangerous substances as best as it was able.

"Hey, not bad for your first try. Actually, pretty darn good. The last idiot I took this place to actually closed their eyes and tried to take it flambe. Spilled it all the way down his chest. Managed to put it out before it did him any permanent damage, butwow did it ever misfire - literally."

Gilda nodded. Yeah. That would have been her if she had been just a little more worked up and a little less careful. She was pretty glad now. Sure she didn't look quite as cool as she could have, but she didn't embarrass herself either. Not bad.

"This? Liquid lava. Chipotles in adobo, pureed in lemon juice, sprinkled with habanero. *Cough-cough, cough* It's... basically, it's spicy in its purest drinkable form. Like, it will give you mild burns if you leave it on your skin for too long kind of spicy. It's said this one got invented when some crazy unicorn was trying to find a sprayable liquid that'd burn somepony's nose and eyes so hard they'd be incapacitated, without causing any permanent damage. A sort of peppery spray, I guess. Except, his numbskull apprentice thought it was a potion, and drank it! Heh, heh... it kinda caught on with the spicy crowd, but uh, I actually haven't found anything that wasn't a paste that's spicier than this. It's like drinking a hotsauce that's decided it hates tastebuds. ...In hindsight, kinda regretting that I ordered it."

Gilda grimaced. She wasn't particularly good with hot, and this was so hot she could practically taste it even though it wasn't her who was drinking it. Why any one would want to ingest something created to be a self-defense tool was just baffling to her too. This was no doubt many times hotter than whatever peppery concoction Dash had laced those candies with at that infernal party, and that had been enough to torture her taste buds. No, she was cool, but she wasn't even going to think about risking this one, even if it was just sitting there.

She gave a harsh chuckle. "Yeah, I'm not going near a thing like that," she said, shaking her head. "I'm all for a good thrill, but there's a different between that and just being stupid. I think I'd sooner put the actual fire in my beak; It would probably burn less than that stuff."

She smirked and then added. "But you ordered it, so you might as well finish it, right?" she said with a laugh.

"Fire... would probably burn less than that stuff."

Well, this stuff caused mild chemical burns, so that might be literally true... Of course, it would take a much bigger nerd than she'd ever want to directly associate with in order to figure that one out.

"But you ordered it, so you might as well finish it, right?"

"Ha ha, you're a funny one." was Ignition's reply to such a beckoning that her tongue be summarily executed for the amusement of others. There was no sincerity to that laugh, and her voice was dripping with sarcasm. Welp, here went her chance of kissing anything that evening. Even if the idea was stupid, there just was something wrong about leaving a shot any more than half-full. For a moment, Ignition was reminded of the total nutbar that thought up the idea of swallowing the shot, glass and all, such that none of the drink actually touched their tongue. However, she'd seen how that brain-genius' plan had turned out, so no, none of that.

Another few sips to get her tongue singed beyond normal feeling, and then, down went the rest. Her eyes watered, her tongue would have had a lot of very colourful, heartfelt things to say if it could talk of its own accord, and she got the delight of a full-on shot of heartburn, but the glass was finished off in short order. As was semi-customary, she lowered her head quickly to the table, stuck her tongue out on the somewhat suspect wooden surface, and stamped her tongue with her hoof. Oddly enough, this caused an audiable sizzling noise, though Ignition could hardly explain why. It didn't so much reduce the pain as it did shift it a bit, to a slightly more bearable mixture of crushing and burning sensations. A bit of panting, a bit of looking ridiculous, and a bit of wiping her eyes with the back of her wrist, and Ignition finally spoke up again.

"Nektht time, thtop be befoh I ordeh one of dothe agaihd, hogay?" Liquid Lava was, in short, a shot meant to lead straight to looking very foolish, should other onlookers be unaware of the ridiculous spice involved. Still, shot was gone, and so was Ignition's immediate ability to talk. All the while, however, the two boxers on-stage continued their match, tooth-loss having only caused a brief pause. More heavy impacts, and the crowd before the show livened up once more. The next step, if one was to be taken, would be up to Gilda.

"Ha ha, you're a funny one."

Gilda almost felt sorry for this pony. Almost. Ignition was a lot like her. She had the same sort of pride. If Gilda was in this spot, she'd have been forced to make the same decision. There was little other choice. Chickening out makes one look like a real loser when it's over a tiny little shot they paid for with their own money. Gilda had practically made it a challenge too; Ignition was caught here, and the only way out was to swallow a little bit of lava. It was kind of unfortunate, and she knew for a fact it wasn't going to be pleasant... but at the same time, by the virtue that it was somepony else, it was oh so amusing. Gilda tried not to laugh too much as the pony raised the glass and downed the fire. She tried to keep her smile from being too flagrant as she examined the pain and discomfort on the soon panting ponie's face. It was really hard.

"Nektht time, thtop be befoh I ordeh one of dothe agaihd, hogay?"

Gilda couldn't help but laugh. The pony sounded ridiculous. She hoped Ignition didn't hold it against her. "You sure? But it looked like you really enjoyed it," she cracked, not able to contain her smile.

"So what now?" she asked after a laugh. "Guess we join in with the party?" she said, eyeing the mosh pit. "Unless you want another shot of that stuff! I'll buy you one!" she teased.

• 2 weeks later...

Ignition looked kind of ridiculous. She knew it, she felt it, and now she had dirt and a couple tiny woodchips on her tongue to add to all of it. Though Gilda kind of had a nice laugh - well, ok, nice compared to the screeching cackle she'd heard from a couple Griphon gals she'd met before - it still stung a bit. Not as much as the liquid lava, though. Nothing really matched that without being worthy of a trip to the clinician.

"You sure? But it looked like you really enjoyed it," she cracked, not able to contain her smile.

"So what now?" she asked after a laugh. "Guess we join in with the party?" she said, eyeing the mosh pit. "Unless you want another shot of that stuff! I'll buy you one!" she teased.

"Hah, if I was capable of enjoying that sort of drink, I'd be way more willing to see if I couldn't out-kick Bluterguss up on stage there. I'm not that rough and tumble. Yet."

The spitfire pegasus wasn't exactly about to be taken down a notch by her mistakes, and now that her own overconfidence in drink-ordering had simmered a bit, hitting the crowd and enjoying the Eisen Sattel playing for the ears of all present. Hey, Gilda wanted to slam out with everypony else? So did she. Giving her seat a bit of a kick, Ignition got back on her hooves, looking rather well-suited for the role of the punk pegasus she felt like letting loose for a few hours.

Soon enough, the inked-up pegasus was heading from table to dancing crowd, the back of an ankle wiping at her mouth. She was looking forward to dancing, of course; every pegasus wanted to dance, right? There was the fact she'd be dancing with a friend - ok, a potential friend, not gonna assume anything there - but still, this was her space, her getaway from Equestria's regular society. What sort of pony would she be if she didn't at least dance?

"You know how to mosh, right? I don't want anybody gettin' my feathers in a knot over those talons you're packing." The cocky grin widened a bit, and though the remark was made with that same arrogant air about her, there was a bit of sincerity to it - this was her favourite club, after all, she didn't want to get a bad rep for bringing in somepo- someone who didn't know all the ropes.

"Hah, if I was capable of enjoying that sort of drink, I'd be way more willing to see if I couldn't out-kick Bluterguss up on stage there. I'm not that rough and tumble. Yet."

The griffon laughed again and nodded to the pegasus. "Come to think of it, that's another thing I'd be willing to pay to see you try," she commented playfully, a smirk on her face, as she looked toward the stage fight and then back at the pony.

As the pony stood up, she followed her and found her own feet. Gilda was into this sort of scene, but she didn't often get the chance to frequent many clubs. She traveled a lot, was busy with her trick flying and her other general mischief. Plus she didn't really have a lot of friendships she could rely on for much, and going to clubs, even a place like this, all by yourself was kind of a drag. As a result, she was rather looking forward to this.

"You know how to mosh, right? I don't want anybody gettin' my feathers in a knot over those talons you're packing."

Gilda laughed at the question. "Unless you ponies do it differently somehow," she said dryly, matching the pony's cocky grin with one of her own. Harder music was probably even more popular with griffons that ponies. There were plenty of hardcore clubs back in Aquelia, and moshing was definitely a staple.

"And don't worry about my talons. I won't be scratching up any ponies tonight unless they deserve it," she added with a snide laugh. She then started toward the mosh pit, eager to begin.

A laugh from her 'dance partner, and a grin that said 'I actually know what I'm doing' rather than 'I'm pretending to be cool, too'. Not that Ignition really had the difference between them down; she just felt pretty sure Gilda was being straight-up honest with her. "Unless you ponies do it differently somehow," came the somewhat dry, cyincal response. "And don't worry about my talons. I won't be scratching up any ponies tonight unless they deserve it."

Hey, having talons around just in case couldn't hurt, just so long as the gryphon knew when to keep 'em holstered. This bird really was cool! Ignition was pretty sure they'd both be up until it was getting closer to sunrise than sunset, though. She didn't want to admit to getting tired at any point before dawn! Though, she wouldn't exactly push anyone else much past two or three in the morning if they weren't enjoying it. She'd been to three-day parties, everypony and everyone had their party-meter.

But it was not two or three AM. It was more like 11 PM. "Well then, let's slam!" With that, Ignition pulled a bit of a jerk move, taking to the air, briefly soaring over the edge of the crowd. After a few seconds of looking for an opening in the pit, Ignition found one, then went crashing her way shoulder-first into the midst of the action, letting out a cry of "Ankommend!" as she went down. Almost immediately, the distinctive bright-red pegasus could be seen in the midst of many darker-coated ponies, getting shoved, jostled, shoved, and occasionally head-butted, though she seemed more than eager to return in kind.

This was definitely her kind of night!

"Well then, let's slam!"

Gilda nodded and gave a short laugh. Pony didn't have to tell her twice. She was more than ready to get a little rough and have herself a good time. With her usually foul luck, she figured she deserved that much. Following Ignition, the griffon made her way over toward the mosh pit and smiled. She could see some of the ponies staring at her, some cautiously, probably for the same talon related reasons the pegasus mare had just inquired over. Most, however, were far too busy pushing and shoving in the crowd as the music pounded all around them to even notice her approach.

Entering after Ignition, she found her way deep into the pit and then let the flow of the music and the crowd take over. There might have been some hesitation in the eyes of some of the crowd to shove into the griffon, but after a few seconds she felt a pony's shoulder push roughly into her side. Things picked up quickly from there, and soon she was being pushed and shoved in every direction by the raucous crowd. She gave it back it all back and more, tapping into a primal energy and excitement.

She smiled as she continued to move through the crowd, swept up, her thoughts all but blank. There weren't really many places where it was actually encouraged for her forcibly ram into as many ponies as she wanted to. It was rather fun; the kind of thing she should be doing more often. Sure, all the rough contact was quickly making her body kind of sore in spots, but it all felt kind of good. It was a rare sort of fun. She smirked as she glanced toward the red pegasus, seeing that she seemed to be enjoying herself in a similar fashion. She'd definitely need to thank Ignition later. Seeing they were relatively close in the pit, she decided to shove another pony in her direction, just for fun, all the while offering her a grin.

• 2 weeks later...

Slam! Wham! Thank you, ma'am! Of course the mosh pit would be full of rough-housing, it was a mosh pit! A few heads butted here and there, mostly it was shoulder-checking, wing-shoving, and a bit of kicking from the occasional pony who decided to clear out a little room around them. To somepony used to the pomp and circumstance of Canterlot? It was a brutal, barbaric beatdown of bodies and brawn. To somepony used to the cheery hoe-downs of Ponyville, it was an angry, unnatural sort of dance, or perhaps it was more of a mob that just didn't like itself. To Ignition? It was the best kind of dancing, the kind that got adrenaline rushing and the body flowing in a fluid series of hits and reactions, with each fall of the rhythm sending somepony barelling into somepony else. This was her kind of living it up!

But, admittedly, it wasn't for everypony - or everyone, for that matter. Was Gilda behaving herself? A quick check from the inked-up pony caught just a glimpse of the proud Gryphon sending somepony else stumbling her way, grinning just a little maniacally. Oh yeah, Gilda was having a great time. ...Awesome! The stallion sent her way was in for a bit of pinball, though! Caught between a punk pegasus and a gryphon trying to one-up eachother here and there? Yeah, he was going to be bouncing between them a bit! Ignition let the guy push into her, working in a little momentum, but not letting him get his balance. Then, bam! A wing and a shoulder right into the unfortunate mosher's side, right back at Gilda. Sure, they were kinda double-teaming some random earthpony, but when somepony got caught between two friends in a moshpit, that could happen.

Oh yeah, this was a fun night. Still, sending some sorry stallion back and forth in a series of short slams or not, time carried on, the music rolling on and on with it. The night would turn into day eventually. Not yet, but it'd get there, and as the dancing went on and on, the march of time was without cessation, the moon rolling quietly across the sky, maybe seen through a window, or maybe not. The moon didn't partake in the mosh, and the mosh didn't care about the moon.

Gilda had a fine smile wide across her face. This was turning out to really be a blast. Great music, great crowd, and excuse to push around a pack of ponies... she really couldn't ask for more than all that. She gave an unnoticed laugh to herself; she should really consider trying to do this kind of thing more often. Sure she didn't have a lot of friends to drag along on wild, club-bound excursions, nor a lot of bits to spend frivolously on drinks and atmosphere, but she deserved to have a little more fun with her life. After her frequently annoying, even more frequently disappointing life she really kind of owed it to herself.

She glanced toward Ignition. She was just as into it as Gilda was. The griffon nodded to her and bounced the unlucky earth pony between them toward her again. Back and forth, back and forth, neither the pegasus or the griffon seemed prepared to lay off this poor sap as they just shoved him back and forth repeatedly with only increasing force and intensity. Eventually, the beleaguered stallion had evidently found his limit and fought his way out of the crowd to stagger off-- Gilda could only assume to be quite unpleasantly sick from the constant barrage and whatever drinks he had consumed before it. The griffon just laughed and shook her head and then scooted to where he had been, toward Ignition.

"Tired of this action yet?" she asked when she was close enough to be heard through the music, shouts and other assorted loudness that clouded their general area.

"We could sit back for a while, if you're needing a break," the griffon suggested with a shrug. She was getting a little tired from the highly rough, highly active slam dancing, but she was inclined to leave the final call to the pony.

• 1 month later...

Ignition's mane was a bit more of a mess, though it still kept it's many colours in their place, ever matching her blazen namesake. Her silver eyes were practically burning with excitement, her adrenaline pumping and enthusiasm churning within her like the pressurized magma of a volcano about to burst open. A bit of sweat had, of course, gathered on her body andbrow, and if one looked very carefully, one might pick out a few shoulder or hoof-shaped bruises on her flank and legs, but there was not a question that this punk pegasus was having a grand time. Sure, she and Gilda had bustled and bumped some schmuck off of his hooves and back towards the sitting, drinking crowd, but that was more of an accomplishment than a source of guilt.

And, as Gilda took the place of the stallion they'd been pinballing about, Ignition gave the gryphon a bit of a push, laughing in raw merriment. Yeah, this was about as happy as Ignition could get. A few energizing drinks, some very energizing music, and a throbbing, pushing crowd all around her was pretty much excellent. It had felt like they'd been slam-dancing for a while, and indeed, the moon had moved, the day now all but spent, the first hour of Friday slowly draining away, and the somewhat enormous firecannon that had brought the two together now seemed to be water under the bridge. Of course, Ignition still planned on apologizing for that near the end of the night, but now was not the time for it.

By now, the pugilism on-stage was winding down, the same huge earth-pony dominating the majority of the matches, though several contestants had caused the burly fellow to reel and stumble a fair bit. The huge pony looked like he was ready to call it a night, as one didn't exactly go on for two and a half hours without feeling pretty worn out. Still, the guy looked pretty proud of himself, and the night's climax had come and gone a little while ago. The crowd was still barbaric and vivacious, of course, and it would be for hours to come, but it was a crowd that grew no thicker.

[colour=#996699]"Tired of this action yet?"[/colour] shouted the gryphon, her voice managing to pierce the din of the crowd. [colour=#996699]"[/colour][colour=#996699]We could sit back for a while, if you're needing a break,"[/colour]

[colour=#ff0000]"Hahaha, I *huff* don't need a break, who you talkin' about? *Huff* ...okay, maybe I'm a little softwinged. Heh-heh... wha!?"[/colour] Ignition got shoved rather hard by another dancer, and ended up stumbling into Gilda's side. She shot the pusher a glare, retaliated with a headbutt, then gave the Gryphon back her personal space.

Yeah, a break was in order. One stinger wasn't quite enough to go on, and that liquid lava was practically burning a hole in her; maybe she'd get a proper drink and a bit of food before trying to power through the rest of the evening. The blaze-maned pegasus took a quick jump into the air, then hovered above the crowd. [colour=#ff0000]"Sorry 'bout that. Want a couple more drinks? I could use a pick-me-up and another booster. One stinger isn't exactly fuel enough for a whole night." [/colour]

[colour=#FF0000]"Hahaha, I *huff* don't need a break, who you talkin' about? *Huff* ...okay, maybe I'm a little softwinged. Heh-heh... wha!?"[/colour]

Gilda was kind of relieved when the reply to her inquiry came. The panting breaths that punctuated Ignition's words made it perfectly clear that she was reeling from the night's work out even before she admitted it. The griffon didn't have to look like she was bowing out early when her companion looked just as ready to take a reprieve from the action as she was. No, when Ignition was shoved and proceeded to into her, Gilda started to wonder if it wouldn't have actually been okay to suggest a break sooner. Ignition responded to the shove with a healthy headbutt and pulled away, but Gilda still gave a small chuckle and an accompanying smirk.

The pony then took to wing, flying up above the crowd. Ha! Gilda lived on her wings, and she might not have even thought to do that. It certainly was easier on a weary body than trying to shove all the way out through the pit. Normally she wouldn't mind pushing her way forcibly through a wall of ponies, but with her body so worn, it was probably for the best to skip all that. Nodding, Gilda followed suit and started to fly after Ignition.

[colour=#FF0000]"Sorry 'bout that. Want a couple more drinks? I could use a pick-me-up and another booster. One stinger isn't exactly fuel enough for a whole night." [/colour]

Gilda laughed and gave a small shrug at the apology. She nodded at the question. [colour=#996699]"Yeah, I'm not done drinking just yet,"[/colour] she said, with a smirk.

[colour=#996699]"I'll take whatever you're getting," [/colour]she added, shrugging yet again. [colour=#996699]"Provided it isn't something stupid like that lava drink of yours, that is." [/colour]The griffon punctuated her comments with another laugh.

• 1 month later...

[colour=#996699]"Yeah, I'm not done drinking just yet, I[/colour][colour=#996699]'ll take whatever you're getting." [/colour]Hey, not a bad choice, right? If it was good enough for one little rebel in the making, it was probably just as good for the other.

[colour=#996699]"Provided it isn't something stupid like that lava drink of yours, that is." [/colour]With a few exceptions, apparently.

[colour=#ff0000]"Chyeah, it takes a special kind of maniac to try and down two of those in one night." [/colour]Was Ignition's reply. Another shake of her head got her mane out of her eyes, and a little bit of the sweat off her brow. Back down to the vacant table they'd inhabited earlier, a few of her feathers drifting from her recently knocked-about wings as she kicked up a bit of a breeze, dropping back to the ground with a loud cla-clump of her hooves. A few of her feathers tumbled to the ground as her wings folded back into place - apparently, getting shoved around violently had knocked a few loose. Not that anyone would care about a few lost feathers when teeth had gone skittering across tabletops hours before.

[colour=#ff0000]"Du, Herrin der Getränke!"[/colour] The pegasus called, trying to wave down the attention of the somewhat aloof-looking server. With the night having passed its population peak, however, she was a little faster to actually approach the table. [colour=#ff0000]"Zwei stacheln und zwei schwarzen flüsse, bitte." [/colour] - Two more stingers, and a pair of 'dark rivers' - a thick, slightly bitter sort of drink. Nothing impressive or daring, but rather, something utilitarian and filling, nearly a slurry rather than a drink. Because, apparently, ordering drinks that weren't either dangerous or slightly unpleasant wasn't on Ignition's agenda. However, the waitress only had the order, it would be a while before the drinks showed up - assuming, of course, that the unintelligible murmur of acceptance and the trotting away of the darkish-grey mare meant that drinks were going to happen. The order thus handled, Ignition returned her attention towards Gilda, flicking her somewhat muddled mane out of her eyes with a buck of her head.

[colour=#ff0000]"Heh, man, it feels good to be back here... So, you still having fun?" [/colour]The pegasus inquired, smile still wrapped around her mouth, silver eyes still brimming with energy and excitement.

Archived