[Canterlot] A Royal Pain - Act 1: Put up your Dukes

(OOC: Sorry if this seems delayed, I wanted to make sure your characters had time to play out anything they needed to before moving on.)

Blueblood would normally have arrived fashionably late, emphasising his status, but he was too eager to get things moving. Still, he arrived at Le Grand immaculately dressed and coiffured, and set himself up in the VIP lounge where ponies waited while their tables were being prepared. He acquired a glass of excellent mead, and made polite small talk with some of the notables who had also decided to dine there.

The restaurant was situated at the very edge of one of the alps that Canterlot was built on, and the lounge had a balcony that hung out over an almost sheer drop to the plains below. It looked out over a fantastic view of the Heartlands, the whole south east from Ponyville to Garden Gait, their lights sparkling in the far distance. Luna's moon reflected from the Russette river, making it shine like a thread of silver while in the indigo vault of the heavens the constellations shone like diamond dust. Blueblood had stepped out on the balcony, but his gaze was not set on these sights, beatutiful as they were, though he raised his glass to the moon, in salute to his other great aunt for a job well done.

He looked south, past the Roundbottom Hills, thinking about what lay beyond. The Galloping river down to Manehatten, and beyond the Straits the Gallopocus Islands and beyond them, far Uyanazi. Soon, very soon, he would be taking that route. The part of him that still held to maintaining his status and social position lamented, but he told it to shut up. Traveling down to Coralwood Corral by air-liner was quite the done thing, and he'd be travelling first class. Once in the Gallopocus Islands, it would be much easier to avoid the sort of scrutiny that he'd inevitably come under in Canterlot.

As if in response to his thoughts, a liner airship hove slowly into view in the distance, heading along that exact route. Just starting out of the great airship port on one of the alps further away from the centre, the portholes and open deck of the gondola blazed with light as ponies partied and enjoyed themselves. It also illuminated the rows of air-sails mounted on the sweeps that pushed it along, and the underside of the envelope, painted as the head and tail of a great comet... which identified it 'The Comet', one of White Horn Lines Reindeer class luxury liners. While he couldn't be on that one, it was likely he'd be on her sister ship Cupid in a few days time.

[sorry...either the forums have been down or I've been away...]

Dunder didn't go for the eggs that Muggo' had made, rather he just ate some bread he sliced off a loaf. He'd just eat the leftovers if there were any or just make some new ones himself. "By the way, Nice singing Muggo'. My ears only bled a little bit." He said before taking another bite of the large bread slice.

As he listened to the details that Fire Walker had on the mission, he was surprised. An upfront payment of 2,500 bits was huge. And only a 500 bit bonus if they succeeded seemed even better. 3,000 bits a head on an adventure that he had practically already carried out before was something that there was no way Dunder would pass up. Though, the thought of getting all fancy for Blueblood and this stuffy Cafe was something he didn't fancy. "I'll wear the clothes, but no way I'm cutting my mane." He said simply as he looked through the clothes fire had bought.

"Aye, gettin' some new clothes would probably be a great idea." Muggo' Ale agreed. He'd only brought the one outfit for the evening where they'd met Blueblood for the first time, and the only fancy suit he owned probably was too small by now. Last time he wore it would have been almost six years ago, at his mother's funeral. He smiled. "Well, tell yer friend we owe her. Dunder can pick up the tab." he said with a mischievous smirk, bumping Dunder with his shoulder and laughing.

The stallion let out a low whistle at the money they would be making on the whole thing. It was, well, rather incredible to think about. Definitely well worth their trip. He chuckled at Dunder, shaking his head. "At least make it behave a little better. Again, b'y, elite o' the elite. I'll even be cleanin' meself up." he said with a smile.

And clean up he did.

By the time they left, Muggo' looked a good many years younger. The suit jacket fit quite well, though he'd needed to get creative with the tie as it was a little longer than usual. He'd trimmed his mane back after a quick stop at the local barber's down the street, and made the usually unruly mess of hair that was his mane and tail sit straight and clean for once. He looked up at the cafe that loomed ahead of them, grinning. "Well now, time to get rich." he said with a chuckle. He stepped into the cafe, knowing it would be fancy but not fully expecting exactly how fancy it was. Not a whole lot of character, just quiet ponies discussing amongst themselves about subjects the middle-class Fillydelphian would never be able to understand. And this wasn't even the restaurant, this itself was the lounge. He wondered what the food and drinks were like. In any case, across the room, on a balcony, was their host and boss, the Prince himself.

"Shall we?" he addressed his companions.

[Decided to move us along a little so SSF and us are all on the same timeline xD]

"No need to pay her back.", The Pegasus slowly pulled out a dress from her bag. It was far more conservative than the one she had on the previous day, "That mare owes me a ton. Talked me into going on a date with her big brother. Stallion was all hooves.", Fire Walker shuddered as she tried to forget that night, "It's going to be a long time until Dockey finally pays me off.", she pulled out a small book from her saddlebag, "Also snatched up a guidebook for traveling in the Uyanazi. It's more touristy, but it should be useful. Says while those who live on the coast will speak the Canterlot tongue, the further we go inland the less likely we'll all be speaking the same language. Still.", she returned the book, "I'm sure the good Prince will hire a translator once we make it there. This is going to be so exciting!", she started to bounce, "It's going to be like 'Daring Do And The Last Crusade'. Guess you'll be Sallah Hooves.", she waved a hoof at Muggo', "And you get to be er..", she tried to come up with a appropriate fictional character for Dunder, "Short Round?"

A few hours pass between now and the second meeting with Prince Bluebood. Fire spent that time making sure both she and her two companions looked the part. She even invited Docket and a few of her female friends to help spiff up the two rather scruffy stallions. Once the time was about right, they either walked or took a cab (depending on the distance between the café and Hall).

Once they arrived, she followed the two and looked up when Muggo' noticed Blueblood was on the balcony, "Oh feathers, why am I so nervous all of a sudden? Wasn't nervous before, was I?", she took a moment to breath in and out before leading the two towards the entrance. Considering all the important clientele that were here, they probably had a bouncer or guard near the front doors. Once they are lead upstairs to meet the prince, she addressed as she did before, with a proper bow and a, "Your grace."

The sudden address startled Blueblood, but he was far too old a hoof at this kind of thing to let any of it show in his expression or actions. He continued gazing, and said, "Lieutenant Firewalker. Good, I was just considering the journey ahead."

He had no need to explain himself to a common pony, but his contemplative mood made him offer the comment anyway. He turned. "And you have brought your... companions." The terms bookends, and minions had passed through his mind before he settled on that description. Their clothes were at least neat and formal, though a practiced eye such as his own could tell they were fairly cheap as such things went. Still, at least they were making some effort to avoid embarrassing him.

He glanced towards a waiter, who immediately trotted over to take their drinks order. "Order what you will, the cellar here is excellent. We will sit, and I will explain the project in greater detail while we wait for the table to be ready."

He decided they needed some further explanation. "I don't believe any of you has eaten at the Le Grand before? We order here in the lounge, and only get taken through to our table when the food is ready. I would also suggest you let me order, unless one of you can speak Prancee?"

(OOC: Prancee [rhymes with fan-say, which is what a lot of ponies call it.] The language of the province of Prance, home of snobbishness, fine food, aret culture and more snobbishness, if the refs A) Approve it, B) find somewhere on the world map near Itaily and Germaney to put it. Seen in Cannon on the episode 'The Cutie-pox' where Applebloom spontaneously developed the ability to speak it. Presumably where Miss Fleur De Lys comes from.)

One of the requirements when attending military training for the Royal Equestrian Army was to learn a least one foreign language, as to be a service to those who visited Canterlot from faraway places. The Pegasus nodded her head politely when asked if she could speak the language, "Oui Monsieur, je parle la langue de Prance. I studied the language while in school, but I am not as familiar with the cuisine as I would like to be. Back in the barracks, they tended to feed us like we were all earth ponies. Lots of heavy, starchy foods and not a single Clafoutis to be found, so I would be greatly honored if you could order for us.", this was a slight white lie, as she knew a little about the food of Prance, but was worried she would insult the good prince by ordering something that would be considered too cheap, or too expensive.

"No sir, I cannot say I have eaten here before, but I have heard nothing but good reviews from those I know or have spoken to who have. It has been said that the Vegetable Cassoulet was to die for.", she was quite anxious to hear what Bluebood had to say about the upcoming expedition, but did not want to insult the prince by pushing it when he was not ready. "Sweet Celestia.", she though to herself as she was not very comfortable talking to the upper-crust high society members of Canterlot. It was like walking blindfolded through a pigsty. There was always a good chance she could step into something very messy.

Dunder would have protested Fire's friends helping him look more Canterlot appropriate, had they been less good looking. For the moment, he enjoyed the feeling of having the attention of so many mares that were pretty good looking too, more than he ever had in his life.

When they reached the cafe, Dunder tried to keep his head low and just avoid all the ponies. He didn't want to attract too much attention to himself or their group. The last thing he wanted was to be pinned for embarrassing them all and getting their job on the stakes. Especially since all that money would had been rested in their hooves and he was the one to mess it up for all of them.

When they all sat down at the table, he didn't say anything. He had nothing to say to Blueblood other than a "Hello." Greeting with a forced smile.

He was surprised to see that Firewalker could speak Prancee. He told her to order him anything as long long as it wasn't alcoholic. He didn't know that she could speak a foreign language so well. He looked over at Muggo' who was sitting next to him, incase he could catch him doing anything interesting to do as well. Or to watch him as an example, for he was older than Dunder and better in these situations.

Muggo' Ale ordered a rather expensive and higher end scotch as a drink, not really one for wine himself. For the price, it better have been worth the bits...but then again, Muggo' like a decent drink no matter what. The Fillydelphian was thankful for the explanation on how it worked at this restaurant, not having ever been in somewhere even close to this high class. The fanciest establishment he'd been in was probably for his date a few days ago, and even that wasn't anywhere near Canterlot-level.

He was surprised that Fire could speak the language, because he couldn't. Muggo' could pronounce it, as he had a few wines from the region at the bar, but he didn't understand a word beyond a few...choice ones a hilarious swing musician had taught him when he'd stopped by the bar.

"Probably would be best if ya could handle that for us. I can pronounce it well enough, but I probably couldn't make heads or tails o' the menu." Muggo' admitted. He was used to good, but cheaper pub fare. Sure, there would probably be some similarities, but what he called a vegetable stew, they probably had some crazy fancy name for it that made no sense to him, like ratatouille.

It also probably cost six times as much, but hey, they were getting paid, and LOTS of bits, too.

Beyond that, Muggo' kept quiet. Fire Walker knew more about this expedition than he did, having not read the letter himself, and heck, she knew the ins and outs of Canterlot better than he. He would let her do the talking for now lest he say something that would normally be in good fun with somepony else, but that the Prince might find a little...off-colour.

Firewalker surprised Blueblood by admitting to knowing Prancee, and again by having at least some idea of what to order. Donner, or whatever his name was, kept quiet, which was perobably for the best, and Muggin only spoke to admit he shouldn't be speaking. He led them over to a reserved table and sat to wait for the drinks order, which came almost immediately. Blueblood ate here often enough that the staff knew to take special care of him. He picked up his glass of fine Philidelphian mead and sipped, refreshing himself. The waiter hovered nearby.

"Very well, for you the Cassoulet. I feel like the Champignons Farcis au Agresto with pommes Dauphinois myself." He looked over at the other two. "That is vegetable casserole, mushrooms stuffed with shallots and parsley with a pinenut puree gravy and a mash of potatoes flavoured with white turnip. The Barbouillade Aille en Ailigot, Stuffed eggplant that is, is always excellent and so is the Escalivada, slow roasted sweet pepper, eggplant and onions."

He lookedover at the other two. An individual of breeding and taste should demonstrate it, especially to those who did not have his advantages. "Those are my recommendations."

(OOC: Vegetarian haute cuissine. Man that took some effort to work out. Sory he isn;'texplaining the mission, but there's no way he'd avoid showing off his knowledge.)

Fire Walker was somewhat surprised to hear Cassoulet as a recommendation from a member of royalty, as the meal itself had generally been considered 'peasant food' during olden times. It was mostly beans, vegetables, beans and more beans, something that was a bean away from being the same food she ate in the 'mess hall' back in the R.E.A. Still, she heard of great chefs taking what would be considered a simple meal and turning it into a work of art in itself. "That all sounds wonderful.", she glanced at the waiter, "Qui et un verre de Figutte, mon bon garçon."

She really wanted to move onto travel plans, but this was the Duke's expedition, not hers and she did not want to step on his hooves by trying to lead the discussion in any form. She would have to be patient and enjoy the food, drink and atmosphere. She just felt bad for her two companions. They were trying their very darndest to be good and not insult the prince and ruin it all for her. If this all worked out, she would have to plan something special for the both of them after their grand and noble 'quest' was finished.

OOC: She agreed on Blueblood's order and also ordered a glass of juice. Figutte, which I believe is supposed to be a special fruit punch made up berries from each of Fr..er..Prance's major regions. She's trying to be a good pony and stay away from the booze while she was with the prince.

Dunder didn't know what to do besides just sit there, he didn't even look at any of the other ponies except sneaking peeks at Muggo' to see what he was doing. As expected, Muggo' wasn't doing much either, just sitting there. Though when Blueblood talked to him, he looked up and payed attention, only nodding when he was done. He looked over to Fire, "Just get me whatever..." He leaned in closer and whispered, "Anything cheap and simplest food." He told her. He knew restaurants like this, especially in Canterlot. Selling simpler food for cheap to remind ponies what they weren't eating, even though the 'commoner' food was still too fancy.

Muggo' Ale took a sip of his drink, definitely not disappointed. The whiskey had quite a complex flavour to it. He resolved himself to remember the name, and buy a personal bottle for special occasions...such as celebrating a successful adventure.

The bartender listened to Blueblood's suggestions, nodding. The eggplant dish sounded delicious. Barbouillade Aille en Ailigot, or something like that. He ran it over a few times in his head, trying to get the pronunciation down right. Sure, his accent would make it a little rough but at least he wouldn't butcher it.

"Thanks. That Barbouillade sounds great." he said. Sure enough, while it sounded strange with his accent, it was pronounced just as well as when Blueblood had said it. Maybe one day he'd actually learn the language, and learn what the words meant.

He looked around idly for a while while he waited for the waiter to arrive, looking at some of the ponies assembled at other tables. "Well now, Celestia t'underin'...over there in the back corner, I recognize him. Some stage actor, name slips me mind at the moment." he said quietly, not pointing him out with his hoof so as not to be rude and disturb anything.

"I feel right outta me class, with ponies like that around here..." he mumbled.

"They are the ponies I see everyday." Blueblood preened. "I am, after all, one of the highest and most highly regarded nobles in Canterlot, nay, all of Equestria. I am on evry-pony's A list, a pony every-pony should know. You are fortunate enough to have the skills I need to accomplish this mission." (And work cheap enough, he mentally added.)

The dopy pegasus was clearly out of his depth, and hadn't clearly ordered a meal. The other two had garnered some minimal respect by the way they were handling it. He thought about ordering for Dandruff, or whatever his name was, but decided he didn't need to go that far out of his way. The waiter was still hovering. Blueblood sat back on his seating cushion, and brought forth a scroll from a pocket in his immaculate suit that expanded from hoof length to several times that, and then unrolled in the centre of the lounge table.

On it was a careful drawn and beautifully detailed map. A slight application of magic from his horn, and it redrew itself as he spoke. And yes, the path he described did draw itself in in red ink.

"As your story indicates, my father's last known location was in Uyanazi, under the shadow of the western mountains, in Hodari territory. He meticulously plotted his route south from there, sufficient that I believe it could be followed. I therefore intend to board the Cupid, and travel to Corralwood Corral in the Gallopocus islands. There I will outfit an expedition and charter an air-ship to carry it as far as possible towards the Hodari territories. I will find out what information I can there, then trace my father's steps southwards. He mentioned a flying island in his notes, one which carried upon it a great city of the ancient civillisation I told you all of. Of course my proimary goal is to find my father's... whereabouts, but I believe the two are connected."

Blueblood wondered if he should dismiss the map as something produced by the excellent secretarial staff at the palace. Government offices often used self-expanding scrolls for archivial purposes, but the contents in this case had come from him. It was rather embarrasing, he'd gone to great effort learning practical spells like cosmetic charms, but his cutie-mark kept on throwing up things like a map-making spell, or fire-starting, or an Endure Elements spell, though that was quite useful for remaining cool and fresh at some of the more fraught and overpacked parties he went to.

Ultimately he decided to say nothing about it. It wasn't like he needed to explain himself to common ponies. He looked around. "If you accept my offer, you will join me on the journey."

A somnellier brought him a wine list to select something go with the meal, and he contemplated it for a moment before deciding. "The Shireaz I think, a '68."

Fire listened to Dunder as he leaned in closer and whispered, "Cheap and simple? I'd only order that if you were a simple pony. I'll get you something hardy and sweet.", she gave him a playful 'bop' on the nose with her right hoof before glancing back at the waiter, "Et mon ami floue ici tiens certains Tartiflette.", she added with a smile. Hopefully that will do. She turned her attention back to Blueblood and examined his most wonderful map and nodded politely as he explained the situation. The more she heard of the upcoming adventure the more she wanted to jump on the table and make a 'Squee' sound. This was all too exciting for her. Exotic airships, floating exotic islands, handsome exotic zebra stallions with exotic accents and probably really good exotic beverages! Hopefully there will be plenty of exotic duty-free stores open for their business once they finish finding the prince's father. Imagine the look on her father's face after she told him she worked for a prince and saved a princely father! How about them apples, dad? Thankfully, she stayed put in her seat and simply nodded her head, "Yes, your grace, we do accept your offer to join you and your most honorable of quests, if I may be so bold to ask, when do you plan on starting this expedition?"

OOC: Short post...VERY long day. Gah!

Dunder smiled at Fire when she booped his nose, he nuzzled the side of her neck, "You can be such a sweetheart sometimes." He said softly before sitting back up with a smile on his face. He was glad to have good friends like Firewalker. Maybe even Blueblood would pull his head out of the ground and enjoy the smell of the flowers instead of criticizing them.

When Muggo' pronounced the plate, Dunder dropped the smile and went to a surprised look. He started to chuckle a bit, the way Muggo' pronounced with his accent made him sound funny. He tried not to burst out laughing, the last thing they needed was to attract attention, not for him, but for Fire and Muggo'. Had he been alone, he wouldn't care, he has nothing to prove to these ponies and the ones who were descent would understand, anyway. The only pony he needed to prove anything to now was Blueblood, and after they started on the expedition, then they would be stuck together.

He nodded at Blueblodd after Fire accepted the question to join him on the journey. He just hoped that the unicorn stallion wouldn't be a dead weight, else Dunder would have to beat him into shape himself.

Muggo' Ale couldn't help but flash a grin when Bluebood spoke about seeing the ponies in the lounge everyday. There was no hint of arrogance to it, it was said so matter-of-factly that he couldn't help but grin and remember just how big of a class difference there was between them. Here Muggo' was, average-joe bartender, who would never have thought himself close to ponies of the calibre that sat in this room, and there was Prince Blueblood, rich duke who probably was on a first name basis with everyone there.

And of course, all of that came crashing down with his next sentence, which was dripping with arrogance, but Muggo' held his tongue. Was it still arrogance if Blueblood was being honest?

The green-coated bartender leaned forward a little unconsciously to have a better look at the map as Blueblood spoke. He followed the red line with his eyes, nodding at appropriate moments. Straightforward enough. At the mention of floating islands though, Muggo' looked up at the Prince. "Floatin' islands...I'm gunna go out on a pier here an' say that's not a literal thing." he said. Zebras didn't have wings, at least to his knowledge, and no way to get to flying islands.

He sat back and pretended to contemplate it, not that he needed to much. He knew what his answer was already, especially at the mention of the Cupid. He'd seen that airship multiple times, and the thought of going on it, well...

"Ya got me for this. A flight on the Cupid's worth it in me mind. An' besides, we're helpin' ya find yer Dad, an' that's definitely got me wantin' to do this." he assured Blueblood. He looked at Dunder, who had nodded his approval.

"Looks like ya got yerself a team then. When do ya plan on settin' off?"

"Very well." Blueblood nodded with a pleased expression. Exactly as he'd hoped. Show these common ponies a taste of the high life and they would fall over themselves to join in. He was beginning to think his initial offer of bits might have been too high, they seemed eager to do it just for the adventure and a ride on the Cupid. However, he'd made his offfer, which constituted giving his word, and a noble couldn't go back on his word. It would ruin his reputation.

"The Cupid leaves Canterlot in three days. I will make the ticket arrangements," 'or rather have my social secretary make them', he mentally added. "You will need to be at Canterlot sky-port first thing in the morning, fully packed and ready for a long journey. I shall have a schedule sent to your lodgings. You have until then to say whatever goodbyes you need to. For myself, it is barely enough time to put my affairs in order and prepare for my absence. I am, after all, much sought after and it will be a wrench, leaving in the middle of the social season, but this quest is worth it."

Actually, he considered, he could play this both ways. To the most refined and least energetic of his social circle, he could put it as an unfortunate necessity, a hardship which he was enduring for the sake of family honour and duty. To the younger, more adventurous set, he could play up the adventurous aspect of it slightly more. While quite a few of them had travelled to the holiday spoits of the Gallapocus Islands, none of them had been to Uyanazi. Most however preferred the resorts of the Nimbusgait lakes, or the high life of Manehatten or Las Pegasus. Few of them would have the courage to travel so far from home, which could make this journey quite a coup. That satisfied the social side of his personality, while the little foal who had idolised his father was cheering too, though very quietly so his main ego didn't notice him. He was finally following in his father's hoofprints both figuratively and literally.

His wine was delivered and the unicorn waiter held out the cork for his assessment. His mother might not approve of him knowing about wild plants and their uses, but horticulture and the apreciation of fine wines was perfectly acceptable. He nodded, and the waiter delicately poured out a measure. Blueblood took up the glass with a deft touch of his telekinesis and sipped. As he did, another waiter brought over a large tray of hors'd'oeuvres as a start to their meal.

Fire Walker tried to keep from blushing and could only smile as Dunder gave her a quick and friendly nuzzle. She glanced up in time for the wine and Hors d'Oeuvres. 'Good Gravy', she thought to herself as the rich food was being brought over by the wait staff, even at the fanciest of gatherings, she never ate like this. Blueblood probably eats like this everyday and somehow manages to stay so trim. Personal trainer? While her parents and family were well off, the good 'Major' never did go for the 'fancy' types of foods. He generally preferred to eat alongside the grunts and service-ponies in the R.E.A which made him very popular with the general soldiering and guard population in Canterlot, but this in turn had him ridiculed by the upper officers, behind his back of course. They liked that horrible wheat-gruel. Low fat, filling and utterly tasteless. She could feel her flank getting bigger just by looking at the cuisine. Hopefully all the walking they will soon be doing will help keep her from turning into her Great Aunt Gastro.

The red Pegasus waited patiently for Prince Bluebood to be served first before she snatched up something from the Hors d'Oeuvres plates. The 'Provençal' Vegetable Tart looked very tempting. She snatched up a plate of the fine food and had a taste. 'Oooh', she thought to herself, and it was thankfully to herself. She didn't want to make a scene like she did the previous night. Fire thought back to what the good prince said about the 'air-port'. She had worked a shift during the christening of the last grand Canterlot Air-Ship. Was that the 'Cupid' the unicorn had mentioned? She remembered Blueblood was at the event with an rather attractive mare unicorn, whom she was later told it was some well known 'fashionista' from Ponyville. Was she the same mare who had humiliated him back at the Grand Galloping Gala' just a few years ago? And what's with Ponyville? For some silly little farm-town in the middle of nowhere, she had seen more news come out of that tiny little berg than any other city or town that was not Canterlot as of lately.

She had a million questions to ask the prince but it could wait, for now, they should just enjoy the meal and think ahead of the exciting adventures they would soon be having. Her handy book did give out suggestions on what they should take along. It would do for now. She simply smiled warmly at the prince and continued snacking away on her appetizer.

OOC: I re-watched 'Sweet And Elite and sure enough, Blueblood is standing right next to Rarity when she breaks the bottle on some air-ship. He had a big 'ol grin on his face. Probably was muttering something some very un-family friendly words under his breath during that bit!

Dunder payed attention to the instructions Blueblood gave them. He knew that at least he could be the pony who kept them all on track, after all he truest himself the most out of all of them. Not saying that they were irresponsible or untrustworthy, he'd trust all of them with the exception with Blueblood, that arrogant noble, with his life. It's just that he could trust himself to do almost anything, as his sword instructor's philosophy taught.

Dunder looked at the horse'd'oeuvers as they were served to them. Dunder, unlike this unicorn, couldn't use magic. He just grabbed a couple in his fetlock and thanked the waiter with a smile and nod and "thank you." He ate the food that was served slowly. He tried to remember his manners, not to burp, he never chewed loudly, and he tried to eat it the correct way like Blueblood with the telekinesis, but he had to just eat it with his hoof. The pegasus stallion, chewed slowly, just looking at the table as the wine was served. He couldn't even look at it, he was still mildly embarrassed about what he did last time he tried to drink wine. It wasn't his fault that the drink tasted so horrible.

He sat back in his chair before giving the other oderve he got from the waiter to Muggo, he looked at the stallion "eat it, it tasted pretty good." He lied. It actually tasted bland, a taste that fancy ponies somehow got accustomed to. "Anyway, I'm pretty full as it is." He lied again. He was pretty hungry. He wanted this food to get over now so they could start eating. No-pony seemed to be saying anything either, so maybe strike up some conversation and useful information for the adventure.

He looked over at Blueblood, and looked him straight in the eye. "So, Blueblood. You're a noble, right? I suppose you know how to wield a blade?" He asked casually, like he had been any other pony.

Three days, first thing in the morning. For a trip that could last a while...well, that gave him time to set things up at the bar, say a couple goodbyes, and get packed and ready for a long trip.

Muggo' decided to leave the social comment go...he couldn't imagine folks needed Blueblood THAT much that it would take him more than two days to sort out his affairs, but he was just a plebian, right? What did he know?

The first course of the meal was served, a plate of hors d'oeuvres, most of which Muggo' Ale couldn't even recognize or even begin to guess at what they were. Oh well. They looked delicious in any case, so he didn't mind much. The Earth pony picked up one small tarte and started to eat it, as neatly and politely as he could managed with his hooves, noting for the first time a rather inordinate number of unicorns among the upper-crust of Canterlot, at least in this lounge.

He glanced at Dunder and thanked him for the extra bit of food, then chuckled when he asked his question.

"Good to think ahead, but I hope we don't have any need for weapons, b'y." he pointed out. Any violence on zebra territory could result in a bit of a diplomatic incident, much like if they ran into trouble in any of the griffon lands for instance. That, and he could imagine Blueblood probably wouldn't want to get involved in any sort of "scandal" while they were out and about.

(OOC: Sorry it took so long, but Thursday night is always movie night with friends, and I never get in before midnight, and yesterday I stayed out at the pub longer than I normally did, and by the time I got home it was late and I was knackered. Also, what Blueblood says is dependant on whether this is after the events of 'Joust a little Disagreement'. I guess I'm going to have to ignore it as they havn't resolved yet.)

Blueblood was served first, obviously, and he was pleased to see the others didn't try to barge in, though they did serve themselves rather than waiting to be waited on. Fortunately, no-pony saw that other than the waiter, and he was far too well trained to sniff in disgust at such uncouth manners. However, Blueblood's social antennae could detect it, and he realised he'd probably have to give a slightly bigger tip to make sure it didn't get out. When Dunder asked his question, Blueblood was a bit taken aback. Him, fight? With sharp pointy things and blood and all trhe mess and bother that accompanied it.

"No, I don't, the idea is positively medieval! Such overly energetic pursuits are considered undignified for the highest classes, such as myself. There are exceptions, such as Shining Armour, but he was a common guardspony before he married Princess Cadence. I'd be as likely to puty on a suit of armour and go jousting." He gave a chuckle, amused at the silliness of the idea.

Then he considered, if there were hazards that needed a blade (and _something_ had prevented his father's return) he would be relying on the ponies around the table to put themselves between him and it. Best to throw them a bale of hay. "I leave the work of guarding to the guards. All three of you have had combat experience, one of you as a guardspony yourself. It is probably better if I leave the fighting to the experts, though hopefully there will not be any."

Actually, that brought up a thought. While in Canterlot he only got a personal protection detail on formal occasions (Canterlot was considered a 'safe zone'), it was likely that he'd need to detach some Hoplon guards for his journey. He'd made something of a fuss about it in the past, having Royal guards assigned to him emphasized his status, and gotten onto the list of persons they guarded. For some reason, it wasn't apparently a popular duty, or so he'd heard, though that was ridiculous. Guarding a noble of status and importance was what these ponies lived for.

There was a problem though. Although their salaries would be be paid for out of the privy purse, he'd have to find additional lodgings, food, transport and everything else for them out of his already overstrained money-bag. But Fire Walker was a guard, if on leave, and Dummy... Dunder Blust was on record as having applied and being turned down as too hot headed. Reactivating the first would be easy enough, and getting her assigned to protection detail duty was a matter of pulling the right strings in the bureaucracy. He might well be able to do something similar for Dunder. He could even present it to them as a complement, something to enhance their loyalty. He would say nothing for now, and see what could be done.

"Old fashioned jousting can be rather intense and brutal, but dueling on the other hoof, can be seen as art itself.", Fire Walker added while glancing down at her food, "I used to watch the unicorns train over at the ol' proving grounds and it was truly a sight to be seen. They levitate their blades with their magic. Even saw a few that could do multiple weapons at a time. Even my good friend here.", she nodded at Dunder, "I doubt even the great Ponallavicini would probably find it hard not to be impressed when ol'Dunder breaks out his Rapier. It's a very quick and deadly blade, perfect for offense and defense. I'm skilled with my trusty punch daggers and the usual R.E.A standard pole-arm. Thankfully, we live in Canterlot, one of the safest and greatest cities in the world. While on duty, I have never actually found the need to draw blood with my blades. Generally a direct command and and an intimating glare will put most ne'er do wells in their place.", she took a short sip from her glass.

"Still, we must be warned, while our good Princess has a strong relationship with the zebras, there will be those who lurk in the dark jungles who will not be impressed by our god-rulers or the strength of our nobility. They live only to take what is not theirs, be it coin, treasures or even lives. We will need to be ready for anything, so while I do beg your pardons my Grace, I am curious on your magic...abilities. As your bodyguards, we will do whatever it takes to keep you safe from harm, but it would be rather useful to know what spells you possess in case of emergencies. Even a simple support spell such as shield or floating candle-spell could mean success in the face of disaster."

Dunder had to hold back a smile when Blueblood was going off on his obvious opposition to the idea of fighting. As well as the bogus reasons for doing so. Plenty of Canterlot nobles were used to the idea and styles of fighting. Obviously Blueblood had better things to do with his time. But, what Blueblood said next to justify it made Dunder need to agree. It'd be best if Blueblood didn't do anything to get hmself hurt and leave it to the trained and strong and brave ponies to do the fighting for him. But, as Muggo' and Blueblod said, it'd be for the best to just avoid any violence. It's what he hoped, the last trip was fairly peaceful...fairly.

When Fire started talking, he listened intently until he heard her praise. He ducked his head and smiled a bit while blushing and looking away. "Oh, please, Fire!" He said before lifting his head back up and smiling at her, "you are too kind. And think too highly of my abilities, I'm pretty good, but some of the classical masters who made my style would probably destroy me. But thanks." He said before giving her a small, friendly nuzzle.

He listened to what else she had to say. Indeed, Blueblood needed to be useful. Dunder would make him useful if the noble planned on being a dead weight, like he planned to do to society.

Muggo' Ale had been about to point out that Blueblood could use a bit of 'energetic pursuits' to liven himself up a little, but then remembered that the Prince had very little in the way of a common sense of humour, and decided to drop it.

"Aye, we've got ya covered in the guardin' department. A guardspony, a prospective guardspony, an' I, who's seen me fair share of brawls. Ya'll be safe, no worryin'." he assured the Prince. While his companions were skilled with their weapons, Muggo' was skilled with good old fashioned hoofticuffs. If it came down to a fight, which he sincerely hoped it didn't, Muggo' would probably go in with just his hooves, though maybe he'd bring a knife or somesuch along for utility purposes, or a makeshift weapon in a pinch.

In addition to what Fire suggested, Muggo' also spoke up. "Or anythin' else ya might be able to bring to the proverbial table that'll be of use. Skills ya might have an' all that. For me part I know basic first aid an' survival skills, an' how to handle meself with me hooves in a fight, but that's about it." he said. He took a sip of his drink, taking another moment to look around the room. He fought hard to keep himself from reacting, via grin or chuckle, to seeing a couple at a table a few behind Blueblood, where the stallion appeared to be much, much older than his mare companion. Such was the world of the rich, he figured.

He had to admit, not a world he enjoyed that much. Maybe it was because he was used to the raucous environment of his bar, but everything seemed too...subdued. There was very little laughter or cheer throughout the room, just a lot of hushed conversations. It almost made the room feel oppressive with how muted everything seemed to be. Still, he wasn't here because he liked the environment, he was here because, much as he found Blueblood strangely amusing and yet a bit too nose-in-the-air for his tastes, the stallion had a missing father, and to Muggo' family was everything. He was here because he truly wanted to help, be it to find the Prince's father, or get him closure.