[Canterlot] A Royal Pain - Act 1: Put up your Dukes

(OOC: Once again it's thurdsday night, but this ttime I'm writing this up before I set off.)

Blueblood was torn by the question in several different directions. Part of him was annoyed that they were even asking, he was contributing the money, shouldn't that be enough? That same part of him was also unhappty at revealing he had any 'common' skills, and that his magic actually had a use beyond cosmetics. Years of harping by his mother about how undignified it was to go waving your horn around at the drop of a hat had cut deep, and her virulent denial of his cutie-mark as a mistake and somehow his fault, and everything that came from it still haunted him.

But the other part of him, the part that had decided to go on this quest in the first place, break with his mother over it, pushed him to reveal it. The truth was, however well he hid them, he did have some spells that were useful for survival and exploring, in line with his cutie-mark. What finally decided him was the fact that they were talking up thir skills, and he wanted to show off something himself. It just felty wrong to let them outdo him.

"Firstly, while I may have some useful abilities, they are not the sort of thing I want bruited about. So you will keep them strictly to yourselves. Is that clear?" His glower made it quite clear that he'd foind many unpleasant ways to make his displeasure known if they didn't. "While I may not have put it to practical use, I am something of a student of geography, and history. I have studied those reports and information on the Punda Milla that have passed through the Royal Society, in my role as the Royal Patron, including what little is known about their language, the northermost tribes at least. Thsi wasn't my father's first trip there, so his journals also had useful information, and I have studied those assiduously.

"Obviously, the dialects where we're going will be considerably diffrerent, but the mobility of and frquent contact between the various tribes will help. Even the southern tribes will have some-pony who can speak the nortehrn dialects, and much of what i've learned is the lingua franca they use as trading talk. While the northern tribes are also likely to have ponies who speak Equesrian from their contacts with traders, we can't count on it in the south where we'll be going.

His voice lowered slightly, and he looked around as if seeing who might overhear. "I have a good sense of direction, exceptional actually, and one of my spells allows me to Imprint a map of places I've been to. It's embarrasing really, I've had to work hard to get any practical spells for my role in life, cosmetic charms and mostly, but I gained several other mostly useless spells without any effort. They might be of use in this particular situation though. Endure Elements maintains a comfortable environment about me even in hostile conditions, Wilderness Step allows me to walk through rough or obstacle covered ground at full speed... Actually those two are rather useful at some of the more packed cocktail parties I patronise.

"Actually, so does Purify. While I'm sure it's original intent was to purify food and water for eating, it does a similar job on alcohol. It is sometimes useful to be able to match drinks with some-pony without suffering the consequences. The ones which really don't have a purpose are Compass, which finds things, and Firelighter, which does exactly what it says. You can see why I don't want those sort of spells being common knowledge. A gentle-pony shouldn't concern himself with such things, but I didn't really have a choice. As I said, they came to me almost unbidden.

"The one thing I don't mind being generally known, apart from my geographic knowledge, is my horticultural abilities. A lot of my mother's most rare and expensive blooms have come from Uyanazi, and I have learned a lot about them. Those are skills appropriate to a noble. In the process I studied the more mundane plants of the region, and their uses, purely for completeness. That, I don't want let out. Horticulture is acceptable, agriculture is for farmers, not the nobility. I should be able to identify food and a few medicinal herbs though."

Fire nodded her head respectfully, "I assure you my Prince, that as a member of the Royal Equestrian Army, I strictly uphold the tenets of confidentiality. What you say to my companions and I will stay here and remain here.", she took a quick sip from her glass, "Still, you do hold some pretty impressive skills in your hooves. Even the lesser spells, like the cantrips can be incredibly useful. I've heard more than a few mages swear by them. And the 'Endure' spell, I'm rather familiar with it as my armor had been enchanted by such a spell. While our natural coats are handy during the winter, it can be an unpleasant experience one must endure when summer approaches and you are required to wear heavy armor along with a proper dress uniform."

She took up another one of her appetizers and tried her best to eat it like a true lady. Who the hay designed silverware anyways? They were clearly made made for creatures who did not possess simple hooves, and it took her a good deal of concentration to keep from looking like a little pig. While in the ol' mesh hall, she and her fellow guards and service-ponies would eat from bowls. Simple and natural, but she was trained in proper dining room etiquette. And what's with Blueblood? The papers, gossip and general chatter generally presented him as an overgrown brat, forever clinging to the tails of his famous aunts. He was far more complicated than what she would have ever guessed him to be. Did he purposely hide behind this false, simpering personality in public for a reason?

"Also took a few more advanced first aid classes during the slow season and I am fully certified for 'Wilderness Advanced First Aid' or 'WAFA'. I just pray I do not have any need for such skills.", she glanced up as the servers shuffled over to their table with platters on hooves, "Looks like our meal has arrived."

Dunder listened to the other ponies around the table. Muggo' had the tight idea. If this Unicorn was going to be a dunderhead about fighting with a blade, he could make himself useful as a support role. Anyway, if worst came to worst, Dunder could still give the unicorn training. Anyway, he had mastery with the longsword and wasn't one much to teach martial arts badly. He would keep this in his saddle bag and only bring it up if needed. He didn't think there was too much to worry about with Blueblood, this pony seemed like he would at least know a little bit about something useful.

To be honest, Dunder was surprised with the set of skills Blueblood supposedly had. Though, he just nodded with a hoof on his chin at the pony as he spoke. He was actually thinking this pony wouldn't be too bad of a dead weight, as long as everything he said was true. But there wasn't much going agianst him, the stallion's father was an adventurer where these kinds of skills were required. Also, if Blueblood cared about his father this much, then it would be likely he wanted to take after him.

When the trey arrived, Dunder looked at the ponies and the platters, thinking this would be an excellent time to have some fun teasing Blueblood, "As a chef, this food seems like it would be good!" He said happily as his plate was served to him. He wasn't one to be critical of such things as food, but he was just going to do it once just to tease.

Muggo' Ale would be the first to admit he was surprised by the unicorn's admissions to his abilities. No longer a waste of space, Blueblood had gone from tag-along to asset in just a few words. From navigation to being a sort-of medic. He couldn't imagine why the prince would consider any of these talents and spells embarrassing or a waste, but then again, there was a lot he didn't expect from Canterlot culture. Everything just seemed totally backwards to him. He knew unicorns who would be proud of the abilities Blueblood had just described.

"Aye sir. Me lips be sealed." he assured Blueblood. If, for some reason, he didn't want it getting out, well, Muggo' wasn't going to spread it around.

The food was served, and Muggo' looked down at the place setting. The food was fine, delicious looking in fact, but the place setting...it was designed for Canterlot, which he was starting to see was a unicorn-dominant city. Still, he'd do his best to be polite, so with a delicate grasp of his fetlock he managed to hold one of the forks and get to work on eating. After a few bites, he looked up at Blueblood.

"Somethin's been on me mind, b'y. Ya might have answered this before an' I might have just been distracted or not heard ya, but why us? Why now?" he asked. "I mean, this is yer father we're talkin' about? An' by me guess, missin' for a bit o' time. I get that, as one o' the upper crust, ya can't go stompin' around Uyanazi lookin' for him, but why only send an expedition now? Unless ya sent one before, an' it was the journal that was the key." he said, the last bit more to himself than as part of a question.

Blueblood was relieved, even if he didn't show it, that Firewalker had specifically stated they'd keep it quiet. There was also the fact that it felt decidedly odd to have his 'mundane' spells considered something of other than an embarrassment. While he was willing to admity they would be useful for what was coming, admiting such things to most of his coterie would have gotten back sneers at the very least. Not directly, of course, but the kind of behind your hindquarters, juicy scandal that it could provike would be far worse.

To Dunder's remark, he simply replied, "Considering that Gustav Le Grand is one of the most celebrated chefs in Canterlot, or rather all of Equestria, that seems rather obvious. For most ponies, the waiting list for a table is three weeks long. I, of course, have one at my disposal whenever I need it."

Having used that comment to demonstrate, once again, just how well connected he was, he settled down to enjoy his meal. After a few mouthfuls, Muggo Ale asked his question, which hit the unicorn stallion like an oncoming moon.

"If you wish to address me properly, Sir, Your Grace, or Prince is acceptable. Boy, isn't!" But that response was just something said on automatic pilot while he tried to deal with the memories the innocent question brought up.

"In answer to your question, it was a number of years ago, and when my father's expedition was overdue, my mother offered large rewards to any-pony going to Uyanazi for any evidence leading to discovering my father. While there were a few leads, they all panned out into dead ends. You probably don't realise how vast Uyanazi really is, or how little of the part nearest Equestria has been explored even today, let alone the far south. Until I recieved the journal, I had no idea where in Uyanazi to begin looking other than somewhere south. As if you were trying to find a pony in southern Equestria who could be anywhere between Phillydelphia and Hoofington. Worse, as that area is well populated. Eventually mother just... lost hope, and I did too.

"Not that I could have done anything about it. I was only a colt at the time, and there I was suddenly Duke of Canter. My mother was regent, but I had to take over the dignities, the social responsibilities, maintaining the continuity of the Dukedom no matter what I..."

He was shocked at just how much he was letting out, but the question, and his resurgent personality he'd suppressed for so long under traiining and endless practice, had combined to rip the scab off an emotional wound that he'd managed to ignore for years. When his father had first vanished, ghe'd been despnate to go find him, and would have done just about anything, but his mother had other ideas. She'd madse it quite clear that as the sole remaining Blueblood, his place was in Canterlot, maintaining his status, not galivanting off to the ends of the world to get killed.

He'd fought it at first, but repeated hammering home of her position had forced him to tsuppress his desires, turn it to becoming the best and most noble noble of the nobility, to do the job his father could no longer do. And that was what he'd done, playing the game of high society, and learning to do it better than any-pony else... until now, when those long buried emotions and feelings suddenly sprung up to hit him between the eyes like a rake in the grass. To his horror, he felt his eyes start to prick. He hadn't cried since the day after his father was finally given up as lost. A noble didn't cry, and the Duke of Canter certainly didn't. He had to leave, find a place to get his raging emotions under control. He used every ounce of the self control he'd spent years building, and ground out.

"I... feel the need for some fresh air. Continue, and try the eclairs for dessert, they are uncommonly good."

With that he got up on all fours, and headed for a secluded part of the verandah.

Fire was able to stifle at gasp the moment Muggo' referred to the Duke of Canter as a 'boy' or 'b'y'. She knew he did not mean to be insulting, but was most likely using it as a friendly term of acquaintance and acceptance. Over the time they had spent together, the Pegasus gained a few nicknames from the older pony, all which could and would not be spoken out-loud in such royal company. Still, she blamed herself mostly for such breech of protocol, if only she had spent the time to go over a few rules of proper etiquette with them before the diner. Thankfully the good Prince wasted only a second to correct the native Fillydelphian before moving onto more important issues. In the old days, Muggo' would probably have been sent to the stocks for the day for such insolence!

As Prince Blueblood got up from his chair and slowly walked away, the young Pegasus glanced back and forth between the departing Duke and her companions. The two stallions almost immediately noticed she was going through one of her nervous ticks she had when she was confused or was conflicted over an issue. When this happened, both her right eye and ear would shake simultaneously. They had pointed this out to her in the past, but she was steadfast at denying this, much like the nervous 'squeaks' she would sometimes make.

She waited for a moment and took a few bites of her food, and a quick sip from her mug before getting up, "I'm just going to check up on Prince Blueblood and make sure he's alright. You two stay here and be good. And hooves off my food.", she added before slowly cantering off.

She followed the royal stallion over to the verandah,but kept her distance and said nothing. While in the past she would have preferred that her parents would have vanished into the middle of nowhere like Blueblood's father, however she knew she was very much in the wrong when she was younger. She mistook her parent's love and protection for what she felt as their desire to control every aspect of her life, to make her into what her father and brothers were. Fire Walker watched the young prince brood for a few minutes before she slowly started to turn back and head back to the dining area. Hopefully she did not make enough noise to startle or alert the pony.

Dunder chuckled at Blueblood's remark about the restaurant and Gustav. "Fancy food doesn't mean good food." He murmured before taking a bite of it. The food tasted just as Dunder would have expected. Not really food for the purpose that Dunder made, to fill, but to serve the purpose of being expensive and making sure the ponies tasted it. Dunder didn't hate the taste, but he was not at all fond with it either. Anyway, it's not like he was paying so he wasn't in a spot to criticize the food or not eat it.

When Muggo' called Blueblood, "b'y" Dunder didn't even notice until the Prince got upset about it. It had been drilled into Dunder and probably Fire's and most definitely Muggo's brain that every male pony was "b'y." When Blueblood got upset, Dunder looked up from his food and gave the prince a cold stare. Had this been elsewhere, the stallion pegasus would have perhaps knocked the unicorn around a bit for snapping at Muggo' one of his dearest friends, but still. This was Canterlot and he wasn't going to mess it up for his companions. And he was most definitely not going to mess it up for his pay either. Imagining the bag of bits in all of its glory wasn't a sacrifice worth getting in Blueblood's face about.

Anyway, listening to Blueblood's account of his father going missing and about how it impacted his mother and himself was strangely touching. After a story like that, it was hard to be any more angry or hostile at a pony. When the unicorn stallion left Dunder didn't comment. He knew that saying anything would be pretty out of place. When Fire left, he didn't comment either, knowing that it was probably for the best that she got check and make sure Blueblood wasn't having a meltdown or something.

When Muggo' and Dunder were alone, the pegasus turned to the earth stallion, "Nice job, man, calling Blueblood a boy and getting him upset." He said with a chuckle.

Muggo' winced a bit at what Blueblood said. "Sorry b- Yer Grace, force o' habit." he apologized, and quite sincerely. "Me brain's hardwired to call any stallion b'y. Think of it as a verbal tic, not tryin' t'insult ya." he explained. And it was true: from his best friends like Dunder to complete unknowns on the street, Muggo' just instinctively referred to stallions, and even some of his close friends that happened to be mares, as "b'y."

With Blueblood answering his question, Muggo' listened politely. So they'd tried, but given up. As somepony to who family was everything, it truly tugged at Muggo's heartstrings to hear the story.

He nodded respectfully, having seen him obviously fighting to keep some emotions in. "Take yer time, Yer Grace." he said gently.

After a bit he looked over at Dunder and chuckled. "Not me fault, b'y. Happens without thinkin'." he said with a chuckle, taking a sip of his drink. He looked idly around the room until he saw Fire Walker coming back to the table. "How's he doin'?" he asked once she was sitting down at the table again.

Blueblood stood on the verandah, looking out over the central plains and taking deep gulps of air as he fought to regain his composure. It wasn't easy, Muggo's question had peirced his heart with it's horn, and ripped it free. Worse still, it appeared that the earth pony was a better reader of character than he'd imagined, and hadn't been fooled by his fiction. However, he'd spent years learning to control his emotions, to show the world only what he wanted it to see, and eventually rewcivered at least some fo his eqilibrium.

He manifested a pocket mirror and exmained his face in the light from the restaurant behind him. It was one of the few conjurations he could manage, and little more than a polished hoof sized sheet of of silver. Not for him the more advanced unicorn magics that manifested complex objects containing multiple, once living or even living materials, even holding this for more than a few seconds put a distinct strain on his magic reserves, but it was invaluable for checking his appearance without making it obvious.

He was a mess, eyes reddened and with a distict sniffle. His magic quickly turned to reducing the ravages of his loss of control, minor glamours and cosmetic spells hiding and reducing the puffiness and bloodshot appearance of his eyes, while his slightly disheveled mane was teased back into it's perfect coiffure. Ready to face his public again, he turned to go back into the restaurant to notice Firewalker proceeding him. How much had she seen? How much did she know? He would have to watch her for any indication that she'd seen his discomposure.

"Ah... much better. So, do any of you have any further concerns you wish to raise?"

He settled back down to his meal, and managed to eat normally, finishing his meal though he wasn't really feeling that hungry any more. He had a second glass of wine, more than normal. He also decided that he deserved a break froim his diet, and when the waiter came, he ordered one of Le Grand's signature eclairs a la mode, with rosehip and vanilla icecream as the side.

Fire Walker returned to the table before Bluebood, "He just has a lot to think about.", she started to finish off her meal, "I could only imagine what's going though his head about now, but I do hope that we are able to find his father safe and sound. Funny.", she pushed her empty plate away, "You two loveable goofballs know nearly everything about me and my family, and ofcourse there's Muggo's clan, but what about you Mister Dunder? I don't think you've ever mentioned your family before. Least while I was sober.", she smiled as the servers took her empty plates and ordered, by prince's own decree, the famous eclairs a la mode, and silently hoped there would be time to get a bit of exercise before they left to foreign lands.

Once the Prince had returned from his break at the verandah, the three ponies were enjoying their desserts, "You were right, these are incredible! As for further concerns?", she quickly wiped away the icing from her cheek, "Not that I can think of. I've already told those in the 'need to know' such as my captain and my folks where I'll be heading, no real details though, and nothing about you, Your Grace.", she glanced back at the others, hoping they had something to ask..

(Probably want to wrap up the whole dinner thing with these posts and maybe skip ahead a few days to the start of the trip?)

Dunder chuckled again at Muggo's comments "Eh, I know... I just wish he wouldn't have taken it so personally, though." he said before shifting his gaze to Fire who was now returning and resuming a seat on the table. While she spoke and addressed him, questioning his family, Dunder started t look the slightest bit uncomfortable. He looked down at the table for a moment before looking back up at her, "Nothing special, just two parents an older brother and two younger sisters..." He said and shrugged. "Earth dad, pegasus mom... you know." Dunder said before looking up and seeing Blueblood coming back.

When Blueblood asked his question, Dunder just shook his head before going back to finishing off his meal. And then ordering two eclairs which he ate without a problem. Big ponies need lots of food, right? Anyway, those eclairs were too good.

[Not sure really where to start the timeskip, so if you want me to start somewhere I can.]

"S'just the kind o' life he's used to, b'y." Muggo' pointed out to Dunder. "Ya an' I, we're used to takin' it easy. We slum it compared to the ponyfolk here. Consider yerself lucky that we're even here...this coulda all been arrange by mail." he said, sipping from his whisky. It was true, they could have just corresponded back and forth to organize the adventure.

Fire Walker asked about Dunder's family, and Muggo' realized that he too didn't know all that much about his friend, beyond stuff about Dunder himself. He finished off his food, chancing a glance back at Blueblood while he waited for the pegasus to answer Fire's question. He felt bad, not having expected his question to have cut as deep as it had appeared to. There was no way to properly apologize, so he'd find some way to make it up to the prince. Finding closure on his father would be a good place to start.

The bartender ordered an eclair of his own, and quite thoroughly enjoyed it. Blueblood had not been understating the talent of the chef of this restaurant, and though the food had been stellar, as was the drink, he doubted he'd ever come back here. It was far too removed from Muggo's element, and besides...the bill probably figured into the kind of bits he had after a week of working at the bar, gone in a few hours.

"No questions or concerns from me end. Seems straightforward enough. 'Course, Finagle's Law..." on habit, the pony knocked his hoof gently against the wooden table. A kind of superstitious "ward" against taunting Finagle and his Law: Whatever can go wrong, WILL go wrong. "Anywho, I'm all set an' ready to go. Got me father an' second to watch the bar while I'm away, an' they know it'll be a time." he added. In short, he was ready to go.

As his telekinesis dabbed a napkin lightly on Blueblood's lips, he pushed forward the empty dessert plate and stood up on all fours. A waiter came and asked if he wanted coffee and mints, but he just shook his head.

"Very well then. I will arrange your passages, and such other things as are needful. I will have the details delivered to the previous address. As I said, be ready to leave in three days, first thing in the morning. For now, farewell."

He nodded his head, and turned to leave.

&&&

The trio heard nothing further from the Prince for the next tow day, but on the third, a set of three folders were delivered to Firewalker's postal drop. In them were a set of boarding passes and instructions for boarding the Cupid, and in the case of Firewalker and Dunder, a letter from the office of the Royal Guard. In Firewalker's case, it was a reactivation notice, and an assignment to Order IV of the Honor Guard, to act as personal protection detail for Duke Blueblood. In Dunder's case it was an acceptance to the REA and a similar assignment.

(OOC: I'll let everyone react to that before I do a post for the air-ship port.)

Fire Walker smirked as she glanced down at the 'reactivation notice'. She knew things would be different now that she was on the 'clock' so to speak. The mare would need to snag her proper uniform from the barracks, and she would see about getting Dunder one as well. Thankfully she still had his measurements from the previous' days stop at the 'fancy dress' store. Still, there were things she needed to do while on his mission. Documentation was a must, as anything of importance would need to be relayed back to her superiors. Thankfully for Bluebood's sake, only her Captain would be seeing these reports and considering his own private ties to the 'Royal Family', he would keep it away from the press. Still, she knew very well why the Duke had her 'reactivated'. As a proper serving member of the R.E.A she could not drink, she could not party, or make a general foal of herself. She had to act as if both of the princess' were at her side.

It did not take her long before she was dressed in her golden armor, and with a promise that the needed equipment would be sent to the air-ship dock, she left the barracks with the Pegasus' armor strapped to her back. She arrived in their room with a rather large smile on her face, "Hey Muggo! Dunders! Or should I say, 'Airpony Basic' Dunder.", she slid the light silver armor onto one of the beds, "You're officially in the R.E.A, at least for now. If you're ever still interested in properly joining, they'll still need to run you through all the tests. You could always join the 'reserved' brigade, so this won't be full time for you. Just when Equestria really really needs you! So come on!" she bounced, "Put the armor on! I want to see how you look!"

She also placed the papers on the other bed so Muggo could read them, "We still have time, but we should get ready to scoot very soon!" It was obvious to both of them that the mare was very excited to be on this mission, and she was eager to help the stallion into his armor...

(I don't want to break the posting order, so I'll add Fire's reactions here.)

The mare gasped as she backed away and got a good look at the armored stallion, "Now this better not leave this room! But gads.", she sounded less like herself and more like a lovestruck school-filly, "You make my captain look like a blue haired old maid..Seriously..When we get to where we're going, I have a feeling Muggo and I will be spending most of our time chasing all the Zebra gals away from yah.", she let out a chuckle, but the two ponies could see she was crying just a little, "Er...iron dust...Yes...Got in my eye..Nothing to see here!", her own armor was looking quite fetching.

"My brother Sky has been helping the blacksmiths between classes. Guy got an anvil and hammer cutie mark, so you know what's going to be doing when he graduates. He's not making armor yet, but he made sure Dunder and my armor was looking extra spiffy. Guy did a heck of a job! ", she sighed, "After him, I have just one brother and one sister who haven't joined the R.E.A. yet.", she smiled proudly, "They already sent the rest of Dunder and my gear directly to the airship..Eeeee!", she bounced, "Air Ship! This is so exciting!"

Dunder was sitting back in the room. He was just laying on the bed, staring up at the solid white ceiling probably worth more than all of Dunder's swords combined. He was thinking about the journey ahead and everything that was going to happen. He was swelling with excitement, but all that excitement would be saved for the airship ride over to the Unyazi when the other three ponies were going to be locked up with him.

He was laying on his and Muggo's bed, flat out. His long tail and mane unkept and messy while he laid on the bed. His forehooves crossed on his tummy and his eyes open and staring at the ceiling. He felt rather comfortable and relaxed, but when Fire barged in, he sat up and stared at her, "Ohey!" He said, completely not expecting her to drag in some armor and throw it on the bed for him. She called him, "Airpony Basic" which pretty much meant private. He supposed that wasn't too bad. Anyway, he wasn't going to be made an officer without some sort of ridiculously good reason.

He listened as he slid the armored silver saddle on. "I'm packed anyways, so..." He was glad it was Silver, to be honest, he didn't like the gold one at all. With it on, he stretched a bit, striking a post for Fire, "How do I look?" He asked with a small smile.

Three days had passed. While Dunder and Fire Walker stayed in Canterlot, Muggo' Ale had taken an express train down first thing in the morning after their meeting with Blueblood. He had to pack some proper adventuring gear, inform everypony of just how long he was going to be gone for, left his father and second, Meadow Runner, in command of the bar, then grabbed the next train back up to Canterlot the next day...after a few strange looks from the ponies at the stations. After all, most people who travelled by train brought clothes in their saddlebags...not the mix of gear he had. But he crossed through without any incidents, and was trotting his way back to the hotel where the three adventurers were staying.

He walked in, still having a key to the room, just as Dunder was striking a pose in his new armour. "Not a bad bit nice, b'y. Yer starn's nice an' shiny." the bartender teased with a chuckle. Dunder's REA armour was fresh from the forge it would seem, or at least was refinished recently, because it didn't seem to have any appearance of battle damage to it. Even Fire was wearing armour, which made Muggo', in his dark brown waist-coat, feel a little out of place. "An' that applies to ya too, Leftenant." he added, grinning at Fire Walker. He had a strange way of pronouncing "lieutenant", which came from his father and he'd never quite understood why.

Then again, he'd never really asked.

" 'm I goin' to have to take orders from the two of ya?" he asked. "An' by the by, congrats, Dunder. Ya look good in that armour, like it was made for ya." he added, shifting his saddlebags a little. He looked mostly the same as he did on his adventure through the griffon lands a few months back, down to the grey tweed bakersboy on his head, the same canvas saddlebags, the same vest. The only difference was a stout sword, with a slight leaf-shape to the blade, lashed across the top of his bags with the hilt tied to the sheath, so that it was technically "safe" for travel. While he was sure two pegasi decked out in REA armour would easily be able to explain away a blade at their side, he had to keep his as neutral and out of the way as possible. "We ready to go then?" he asked, looking at his companions.

Canterlot air-ship port was built into a saddle between two of the lesser alps of the Canterlot range, well out of sight of the shining castle. it was an impressive sight, whether you cam by the dedicated rail spur, one of the several wide roads that lead from the outskirts of the city proper, or by flying chariot. A lot of the terminal buildings were hollowed out of the mountain themselves, enlarged caverns of old mine workings that were lit up like day from light funneled from the outside through the veins of quartz and gemstones that still ran through them. But it was the extrior that first caught your eye as you approached, ledges supporting piers that jutted out from the steep cliff face at several levels. There were exterior buildings, pavillions for boarding passengers that llooked more castle-like than the royal palace, and balloon elevators floated up and down between levels teathered to funicular tracks.

Wide baffles and an unceasing pegasus weather patrol maintained near windstill conditions, allowing rows of air-ships to anchor safely between the piers. Chubby tramp freighters and big cargo haulers on the lower levels, and off to each side the smaller private docks and slipways for private yachts and patrol boats. But the top row of docks were for the passenger liners, the ships that carried the great and the good, or at least the wealthy and moderately pleasant to the four corners of Equestria. Prince Blueblood arrived by flying carriage, landing at the VIP building at one end of the saddle. He was escorted down via an internal lift to the top level terminal halls, and whisked therough the formalities to the VIP lounge that served the hall.

It had an outside view, a cupola that extended out and gave an excellent view of Dock 3 and the White Horn Line Reindeer class air-liner Cupid. It was a fast passenger liner, not a cruise liner, but it was quite luxurious, even in the regular berths. Setting out mid-morning, it could make the trip to Baltimare by early evening, and stop over to exchange passengers and cargo for the run to Manehatten the next day. It would dock there only to set off in the evening for Corralwood Corral and reach there the next morning. Like Comet, Dasher and Dancer, itt's sister ships, it followed the Seasaddle Bay circuit, coming back via Hoofington.

The Cupid itself wasn't the biggest air-ship he'd seen, the Cloudwing Line Alicorn class cruise liners Celestial, Lunar and Cadence took that honour, but it did dwarf the private yacht he'd watched launch from one of the private slips not to long ago. Least said about what else had happened then, the better. The Cupid's gondola alone was over 80 pony-lengths long,with three enclosed decks and one open top deck between the gondola and envelope, and the envelope was over twice that length, decorated with the distinctive image of a cloudscape and Princess Cadence firing bolt of energy from her horn that bore a resemblence to an arrow with a heart shaped tip and fletching.

The motive power came from twin five stroke arrays of wing sails fore and aft, located with the engines on the lowest level. He could also see movement in the control cabin on that level, and the open side doors where cargo and stores were being loaded aboard. The upper two levels had rows of windows, and bigger, two story ones amidships, where the main dining hall and ballroom was. The lower level was crew spaces and some of the passenger cabins, while the upper level was all passenger cabins and smaller social areas such as the library and music room inboard. The bigger windows at the bow indicated the half dozen luxury suites, or which one was his. He'd secured a standard double cabin on the top level for Muggo Ale and Dunder, and a standard single cabin for Firewalker.

While there were no separate 'classes' his luxury ticket meant he'd be sitting at the Captains table and eating fancier food. It also meant he had access to the forwardmost section of the open deck, which was the VIP area, laid out with seating and tables and on-call service. The rest of the open deck had seats and areas marked out for activities and games, with netting for some of the more enthusiatic ones. Speaking of enthusiastic ones, there were windows in the VIP lounge that looked out over the terminal chamber, and down there he could see three familiar figures. He decided to go down and meet them.

(OOC: I'll give more imnterior detail and boarding procedures as we go on. For the main hall think that one on the Titanic, and the regular rooms are equivalent to a three star hotel, Bed, basin, closet, seat and desk with a light.)

Fire Walker glanced out of the window of their taxi as they got closer to the air-ship port. It was not the first time she had visited the port, but she could not help but gasp as at the majestic beauty of it all. "Dunders! Look!", she tugged at the stallion like a little sugar-filled school-filly as she tried to get his attention, "We're gonna be taking the air-ship! Isn't that so exciting?", she gave both the ponies a sort of grin one would make only while basked in a state of total ecstasy. "This is so...", she realized she already used 'exciting' once already and had to come up with new word, "Gaze-mazing!", not wanting to leave the earth pony out of her 'excitement', she quickly leaned over to Muggo' who had been sitting across from two, and gave him a friendly hug, "And to think...This all started by finding some random notebook in the middle of nowhere."

(Short post..working on my days off now...bleh.. Muggo's post should end with them meeting Bluebood)

As Fire complimented Dunder in the suit of armor, Dunder couldn't help but blush a little and smile nervously, he wasn't used to being complimented in clothes. Usually ponies thought his outfit was goofy. As Muggo walked in and complimented his flank, Dunder grinned, "Well, at least I know my flank was the first thing that caught your eye." He said and winked at the earth stallion.

The sight of Fire tearing up a bit caught his eye, "and you, my lovely Fire Walker, look very lovely in your own armor." He said as he approached her and gave her a small kiss on the cheek.

After packing up and etc.

Dunder was sitting next to Fire, his swords packed away and laying across his lap as they rode in the taxi in silence, but when Fire broke the silence and tugged him, he glanced back over to see the airship in all of its ornate magnificence. Dunder smiled and watched it in awe, "Wow! We're going to be riding in that??? Looks like it took the whole treasury twice over to make that darned thing..." Dunder said with a smile. the air boat looked like it was going to be a floating palace, and to be honest he expected no less from the Prince.

Muggo' Ale shook his head. "Ya goofballs," he teased, getting his gear set off close to the door for the next day, which came quickly enough.

----

Muggo' let out a low whistle when he caught sight of the airship out on the horizon. He had an appreciation for sailing vessels, whether they sailed the air or the sea, from living near the Fillydelphian waterfront his entire life. The sight of the Cupid, moored alongside the terminal, was a sight to behold. It was a sleek vessel, obviously built for speed, but it didn't seem like it would lack for comfort, not one bit. He had to admit he was quite excited to be aboard. "Well, would ya look at her. That's a thing o' beauty, that is. 'Course, the airship's nice too," he joked. He knew his companions would get the subtle joke...whoever they hired to do the art on the envelope had done a stellar job of capturing the Princess' beauty. Of course, he would never have made the crack with Prince Blueblood there, lest he accidentally offend him. He'd done that once already and that was enough times for him. The bartender laughed at what Dunder said. "Wouldn't surprise me, b'y. Lap o' luxury's the name o' the game up here," he pointed out.

The taxi dropped them off in front of the terminal and Muggo' stepped out with the others, grinning happily. "Well it was on this Monday mornin', an' the day be calm an' fine..." he half-sang, half-said quietly to himself. It was a sea shanty his father was fond of, and seemed to fit for the situation, given that the song was about a boat cruise. Except, around a bay, not across the ocean.

"So, where do ya think we'll find our host?" he asked. Muggo' wasn't exactly expecting to see Prince Blueblood sitting on one of the benches in the terminal, flipping through a Daring Do novel or something to pass the time, though the image was certainly amusing to him. If it turned out that the Prince was wearing one of those gaudy, floral-patterned shirts, the poor earth pony would probably pass out from laughing so hard.

Of course, it wasn't to be. Prince Blueblood was making his way over to them to greet them. Muggo' tipped his hat to the unicorn, smiling warmly. "A fine an' good mornin' to ya!" he greeted pleasantly. He had been about to let out an addition, his customary greeting when he was feeling bright and happy, but he figured that'd be pushing the familiarity thing. He was still testing the waters as to how friendly he could act around the unicorn, and calling out 'How's ya gettin' on?' might be a bit much in his mind.

"Good morning. I'm pleased to see you're all here and on time."

He himself was in an immaculate tweed jacket with an earth brown shirt and red cravat, a red rose in his lapel. "I had considered calling in a favour from one of my many friends, and obtaining the use of a private yacht, but the few that are outfitted for the long journey to Coral Corral aren't as fast as the Cupid."

It would have also meant he could have saved money on the tickets, so he'd made an effort, but it was the plain truth.

"Miss, I mean, Leiutenant Firewalker, I assume you and Airpony Dunder Blust are satisfied with your new situations? Considering our conversation at the restaurant, I decided since you were doing the job of an Honor Guard close protection detail, you should recieve the recognition, and the salary for it." Which came out of the Palace coffers, so the gesture had cost him nothing.

"Getting you reactivated and transferred to the Honor Guard was easy enough for someone with my connections, but I had to call in a number of favours to get your friend inducted, even with his aptitude scores. Going directly into the Honor Guard is not the usual way of things. I sincerely hope I won't be dissapointed for my efforts."

'Air-liner Cupid is now boarding. Will all passengers please report to dock 3 with their boarding passes ready." A tannoy system repeated the message, and a hanging flight board in the middle of the hall glowed with unicorn magic as one of the lines of text flipped character by character to show the same message.

"It seems they are ready. Shall we go?"

"My thanks your grace, you are a miracle worker.", she added with a proper curtsey and started to wonder if 'furlough' was a poor choice of words to have used in the past. She was still considered part of the R.E.A and while not walking the streets, she had been called in more than a few times over the years for certain missions. Maybe she should now refer to herself as 'freelance'? And she also started to wonder just who Prince Blueblood had asked to get Dunder into the Royal Equestrian Army, would her father know of this? Would he wonder who this 'Dunder' was and what he was doing with his daughter? She had intended for the two to meet one day, but she was worried that the former Drill Sergeant would be a bit too much for the poor brown Pegasus stallion. All the questions he would ask! Her mind did a quick back-tracking of what the Duke had said before. 'Honor Guard'? She was now part of the Honor Guard? It made sense, considering she was serving alongside a prince, but when she returned to proper duty, she would now get a chance to serve both the Princess' directly? She quickly pulled out her needed paperwork from her saddlebags.

"Yes, your grace, I am ready.", she followed behind him at the proper distance required for such nobility. She also remembered that her head must not be higher than the prince's, nor should she look at anyone else as they walked along. She needed to focus on the prince and be wary of his safety. Thankfully Equestria was still considered 'in peace' even after the Changeling invasion, but there would always be some crazy pony out there hoping to make the papers.

Dunder dismounted the taxi and quickly took the bag and used a wing to carry it as he followed along after Fire and Muggo'. He stayed silent, Muggo' singing some old shanty like he always did, and Dunder enjoyed the stallion's singing. The stallion always seemed to have another thing to sing... and he was pretty good at it.

When they approached Blueblood, Dunder hanged back and began to look off, letting his mind wonder until he heard his name and official title. He looked at Blueblood, listening to everything he said, knowing it would affect him. He was excised to hear that he would get paid for hopefully just doing what he was going to but being a formal member of the R.E.A. Hopefully he wouldn't have to take orders from Blueblood.... that could not end well. Probably one of the reasons why he was never accepted on his own, opposing orders if he didn't think the pony should be in charge.

As they followed along, Dunder didn't keep his head low, in fact naturally standing about as tall as Blueblood as he walked along casually.

Muggo' Ale felt a bit out of place again, though this time it was because, of his two companions, he was the only one without any sort of military background or title. He wasn't well trained in the art of war, just barroom brawls. But that didn't matter all that much to him.

He did feel a bit more at home seeing the Prince's attire though. A tweed jacket. Given Muggo's own hat and vest of identical material, he almost felt the need to compliment Blueblood on his choice.

He let Fire and Blueblood speak, while looking idly about the room, until their boarding was called. "Aye, let's cast off," the green coated earth pony said with a smile, unable to properly contain his excitement. There was no doubt that Muggo' was ready to board the vessel and make for Unyazi. Even just being aboard the Cupid would have been great.

He trotted between Dunder Blust and Fire Walker, though he kept back a bit. They were soldiers after all, and they would be needed closer to Prince Blueblood. He chuckled a bit when he noticed Dunder had his head held high compared to Fire, bringing him up nearly even with the Prince, who won out on net height by having a horn. It was quite the amusing sight...and rather heartwarming, to see his two friends in their gleaming armour, getting looks of admiration from those around them.

"Don't look now b'y, but I think there's a mare there starin' at yer shiny starn," Muggo' informed Dunder with a chuckle, keeping his voice a little low.

Outside, the boarding cupola nestled underneath the nose of the dirigible, with piers stretching out on either side of the gondola to about midships. A longer pier extended out underneath the keel, but that was for laoding cargo and supplies. Several ponies were working to winch up a pallet of crates into a wide loading door in the side of the bottom deck. However, the passenger boarding ramps were on the level of the open deck above, and nestled against it to provide access to the boarding gates in the coamings.

Blueblood was met at the entrance of the boarding ramp by a grizzled grey unicorn with a neatly cut white beard and mane, a billed cap, and a naval style tunic with broad gold stripes on the fetlock cuffs. His cutie-mark was a ship's wheel. "Prince Blueblood, sir. Captain Shipshape at your service! May I say it's a great honour to have you travelling with us."

"Of course you may." Blueblood replied. "It is the truth, after all."

The Captain didn't seem phased by this piece of self agrandisment. "If you'll come this way, I'll show you to your suite personally."

He lead them along one of the piers, and turned off onto a gangplank that connected with the forward section of the deck. Towards the rear was a godown, a cabin with the forward side sloped, and an entrance facing the stern. It lead down some shallow steps, easy to navigate for quadrupeds, and down onto a cross corridor. To either side, a corrior ran backward, lined with caboin doors at intervals. The ones on the outbaord sides were spaced far further apart than the ones that ran back along the centre line.

The Captain turned a key with his magic, and opened the door in front of them. "The Prow Penthouse."

It was impressive. Not actually that big in absolute terms, but for an air ship it was large. A short corridor led into the main living space. The forward view was a wrap around window that stretched ariound the entire prow of the ship, and the living area was luxuriously decorated. The corridor was explained by the fact that a bedroom with a curtained four poster bed sat against one side of the back wall, and an en-suite bathroom sat against the other. An ice bucket with a bottle of sparkling wine was resting on the occasional table in the middle of the living area. His luggage had already been placed inside.

Blueblood looked around. "Adequate, yes, this will do nicely."

He turned to the trio. "Feel free to get yourselves settled in. I believe I shall be safe enough for the moment."

A steward appeared, as if by magic and said "This way please."

He led them back only a short way, to two of the central cabins next to each other, one for the guys, and one for Firewalker. These were more what you'd expect on an air-ship. The windowless boxes had electric lighting, a bunk bed, a writing desk with a chair and it's own lamp, and a wash basin. It was clean and nicely decorated, but a far cry from what they'd seen up front. The bathroom with showers and toilets was common to the row, and mid way down it. Rather than champagne, there was a wrapped chocolate on each pillow, but their luggage had also been delivered.