(Canterlot) Fudge Frolic(Open)

Lux

Sweet Surprise had goofed, worse than the time she got stuck in the taffy puller, and even worse than making that experimental blueberry candy that turned her whole body blue!

She thought that in the morning that she would help Mr. Cocoa by making some fudge for the customers. And so she set to making the different flavors of addictively sweet fudge. When Mr. Cocoa returned she realized whar Sweet had done and told her that he already made fudge before she woke up. Now they had double fudge, all the way, up to the sky! "Oh wow! Oh my. Look at that fudge! What does it mean?"

She felt bad that she made too much fudge, but as kind and wise as Mr. Cocoa was he had an idea: a buy one get one free fudge fest!

He and Sweet Surprise set to work making the signs and a banner that read: Buy One, Get One Free Fudge Sale" and hung it in the storefront window. Now all sweet had to do was wait for the customers to come.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Princess Cadence trotted happily along one of her favorite Canterlot boulevards, her multi-colored mane tied up and away from her neck in the warm weather. A soft breeze ruffled through the feathers of her wings, drawing a small smile to the mare's face as she moved along. What a wonderful day to be out and about in the bustling city! Shoppers everywhere, other ponies having daffodil sandwiches and the like outside charming cafes, some passerby nodding in friendly acknowledgement.

It was so pleasant and relaxing that Cadence nearly missed a particular sweet shop, one that had been mentioned to her at the Canterlot Royal Public Relations open house by none other than Sweet Surprise. Was this really the right one? The fudge that Sweet had brought to the event had been extremely delicious, and according to the signs the shop was selling even more of the treat! Her suspicions were confirmed when the alicorn saw the pony in question dashing about and keeping things in order, mostly around a giant pile of fudge.

"Sweet Surprise!" Cadence called amiably, waving a hoof in the air. "You're having a fudge sale? What's the occasion?"

Sweet was so busy trying to keep the fudge cool while cutting the fudge into manageable squares that she didn't see Princess Candence walk in. She did suspect that she as well as some other ponies from the Public Relations Open House would be coming as her free samples of fudge proved to be a big hit.

She turned quickly when she heard a voice call her name and met face to face with Princess Cadence.

"Oh hi Princess Cadence," Sweet said panting a little from running around as she bowed, "Nice to see you again. The occasion? Nothing much except Mr. Cocoa and I made a little too much fudge. So we'd rather give some away then let it spoil. I don't cry over spilled milk, but spoiled fudge is another thing. Anyway, how are you?"

Timid was out for a stroll through the city streets with his dog, Boney. He had somehow stumbled upon a shop offering a buy one get one free sale on fudge. Timid smiled as he trotted through the door and was immediately floored by the sight of Cadance in the shop. He immediately froze and said with a respectful bow, "Good day to you, your highness. Are you here for the fudge too?"

Then he noticed Sweet Surprise standing next to Cadance and he grinned from ear to ear. "Hi Sweet! It's good to see you again! I'm here to try your fudge! I didn't get a chance to before, during the event, because of circumstances beyond our control." It was always nice to talk to ponies that were friendly and not liable to turn on you and give chase.

Polaris had held out for a week (by Herculean effort) before giving into siren temptation, a fact of which he was quite proud. He'd steered well clear of the markets and streets of upmarket emporia that ringed the area around Castle Canterlot and Hoofburgh House, but really, it was becoming intolerable; nopony, but nopony should be a virtual prisoner in their own home. Yes, all right, a pony's home was their castle (literally, in some cases that Polaris could think of) but the sentiment shouldn't be taken so seriously, and in Canterlot, of all places.

The Duke of Manehattan had girded his loins (well, Sheaves had done the actual girding) donned his armour of exquisitely tailored dove-gray Hoity swallow-tail suit and hoofguards (again, thanks to Squire Sheaves) and sallied forth into the genteelly-teeming boulevards and squares of Canterlot, braced against the sight and scent of the delicious sweet treats that Canterlot had in surfeit. His mission for the day was to deliver some final reports and notes to his superiors in Castle Canterlot, and the slim sheaf of documents were tucked securely into the sleek lines of his clothes.

Along the way, he knew, sweet treats would assail him on every side, but he was the scion of the noble House of Fetlock! Mere chocolate cheesecake, meltingly rich and scrumptiously buttery, crowned with a perfectly-ripened lantern fruit, would trouble him not. The scent of sweet cherries, wafting from an Everfree gateau, a mountain of rich, dark sponge liberally splashed with kirsch and topped by a Marehorn of whipped cream, could not dissuade him from his steady course towards the alabaster towers of the Castle, oh no. Wheaton mess, redolent with all the promise of summer, packed in a meringue explosion of surpassing, airy sweetness...well. Sacrifices had to be made, or else it would be Doctor Red Crescent's Food Plan Number Seven, and weeks of misery. With difficulty, Polaris Fetlock tore himself away from the inviting entryway of a convivial cafe and plodded on. 'Perhaps,' he thought, suddenly cheered 'after I reach Castle Canterlot, and I've hauled my poor body up the five million or so marble stairs to the chancellery offices, the royal kitchens could oblige with something sweetly restorative. Yes. Something to look forward to, at least.' Thusly bucked up, he trotted out from the threshold portico of Hoofburgh House and gazed out over the maze of minarets and spires that made up the royal city.

The scent of roses filled his nostrils during the canter down the driveway – the gardens were still at their showy best, the trees and bushes bent near-double under the weight of blooms, their perfume so thick as to be near-solid - and some way beyond, up Princesses' Parkway, the grand causeway which ran through the city and merged gently with the Castle Canterlot grounds just a little further up the mountainside. This kept back the siren scents of Canterlot's bakers and confectioners, and as the high walls of the Castle compound hove into view, sparkling and white, the sunshine glinting off the Guards' uniforms as they patrolled, he allowed himself a little hope.

But then, ah, then came his downfall, spotted down a side-street some way away – a distinctive store, in the shape of a gingerbread house, and with a large banner draped over its frontage. Sweet Surprise's workplace, it had to be.

Fearing the banner was the dreaded 'Closing Down' sign that had done for many a perfect bakery and watering hole, Polaris turned from his amble towards the palace and hurried over, eyes scrunched against the sun's glare (or so he told himself). To his mixed relief and chagrin, the banner wasn't a 'Closing Down Sale' notice, no herald of impending doom, but rather a sale advertisement, for nothing less than fudge – which was surely Sweet Surprise's specialty. By now, the delectable aromas wafting across the street had the sweet-toothed Duke well and truly in their grasp, and so, original mission fallen and forgotten by the wayside, he trotted into the crowded coolness of the shop.

His weak eyes – which he was far too vain to correct with a monocle or eyeglasses – strained to resolve the shop's interior, turning ponies into coloured blobs not all that dissimilar from the mountain of fudge piled high in the centre – about the only object he was certain of, at least at first. As the shop bell finished its cheerful peal, Polaris carolled merrily: “Hallo, Sweet Surprise! Temptation proved too great, as you can see – especially since you're giving fresh, delicious fudge away! I held out against Everfree gateaux and Wheaton messes on my way to the palace, but your fudge got its hooks into me when curiosity got the better of me and I came over to look at the sign.

He shook his head ruefully, at his own folly, and a not-unhappy-at-all sigh escaped his muzzle as he turned his attention towards the craggy slopes of Mt. Fudge and gazed at its lofty summit with covetous eyes. “So much choice here...what do you recommend?” He waved a hoof over in Princess Cadance's direction, eyes still not fully used to the interior. "That pink lot looks delicious, I must say!"

Cadence chuckled at Sweet's description of the situation.

"I'm fine, just enjoying the day," she replied, looking more closely at the fudge. "I'd say you defnitely overstocked. I'd ask how you managed to do such a thing, but then you wouldn't be having this great sale now would you?"

Her attention was quickly grabbed by the arrival of not only just Timid Star, but Polaris shortly afterward. Two more faces from the CRPR event, how coincidental! The colt greeted her before speaking with Sweet Surprise, to which she inclined her head in return.

"That I am, this deal looked too good to pass up. But I can't seem to find the pink fudge Polaris is talking about," she added in a whisper, looking around. "I don't even think it exists."

After shaking her head with a benign smile, the princess moved further into the store to look at the other confections, occasionally leaning in to see whether or not another sugary treat would go well with the fudge. Of course so many sweet things could lead to a few problems, but who was to say that she couldn't store them for later back at Castle Canterlot? The cooks were amazing at seven-course dinners, which always left Cadence on her knees and full to bursting, but their desserts were a bit... lacking. She was hoping to fix that here, at least for a short while.

"Let's just say there was a miscommunication between me and Mr. Cocoa. We made the same amounts, but together, the fudge had been doubled," Sweet said to the Princess.

Just then Timid and Duke Polaris, ponies she met from the Canterlot Royal Public Relations Open House, arrived.

"Hello, Timid," she said with a wave to the pony. She was thinking about giving the pony a hug as Sweet was a hugging pony, but she was unsure as he was... well... timid and might run out of the store.

"And hello, Duke Polaris," she said giving an awkward bow. For being in Canterlot many years, she didn't yet get her royal ettiquette down. Sweet then looked at the Duke as he mentioned that the "pink looked delicious." Princess Cadaence mentioned it to Sweet in a whisper. The candy making was confused as while there was pink candy, the only other thing, or in this case pony, that was pink was Princess Cadence. "I guess Princess," she whispered to her.

"Erm... no pink fudge," she said to Duke Ploaris, "but I do have several flavors."

"So," she said to everypony in attendance, "Welcome to the Fudge Frolic! I have free samples of all the fudge here for you to try before you buy. There's milk chocolate, dark chocolate, penut butter, peanutbutter milk, peanutbutter dark, vanilla, vanilla chocolate, mint choclate, raspberry, blueberry vanilla, orange, apple vanilla, spearment, wintergreen mint, cherry, and my newest one daisy!" She stopped to catch her breath after saying all the flavor names. "Anyway, I made sure to put the named on that chalkboard there just incase. So, anypony want to try a flavor?"

Polaris was, to put it bluntly, confused. Sweet Surprise's declaration of 'No pink fudge' had rung with authority, but...Was he the only pony who could see a pile of – probably - fudge, enticingly rosy and tantalizingly hinting at the deliciousness therein? Perhaps she'd thought it funny to play a trick on him – although that was hardly professional behaviour for a shopkeeper. Maybe, since they'd met socially beforehand at the Public Relations Open House, Sweet Surprise felt she could take liberties.

He winced. That thought was...disturbing. Being friendly and being friends were two very different things, but then again, lots of ponies didn't seem to understand that. Perhaps that was for the best – it hadn't done Equestria any harm that ponies were open and trusting, after all - but Polaris was, by nature and inclination, a little more reserved, under the ebullient charm and manners. He liked to pick and choose his friends carefully, and if the price of a good circle of close and true friends was a few other ponies left by the metaphorical wayside, then so be it. Although...

Interrupting his ruminations at that very moment, however, and disrupting a kernel of thought which had begun to form earlier that week at the CRPR event, came a clear and flowing voice, coupled with movement of the pink fudge pile!

So many thoughts scrambled for the emergency exit in Polaris's brain that he found himself frozen in place for a moment. 'Nopony said anything about ambulatory fudge! That's definitely not on the menu Sweet Surprise just reeled off, which means...” He blinked several times, rapidly, mopping his eyes with his usual square of golden silk and circumspectly cursing the bright blaze of the sun outside for half-blinding him when he stepped into the store. “Change and decay! I have been mistaking some poor pony for confectionery! That coat colour's very distinctive, though, and I'd know that voice anywhere...' As realisation dawned, the armies of red-hot embarrassment began their march in earnest up from the depths of his hooves, aiming to splotch him with a red so dark it was almost black.

Polaris risked another look in fudge-pony's direction and groaned – but only for internal consumption. 'Gods and stars and sweet Luna above, I was thinking about eating Princess Cadance! I just announced to all and sundry she looked delicious! Admittedly, I thought she was fudge, but still...How in the name of the lunar light am I going to get out of this? And dear Celestia help me if Captain Shining Armour ever hears about it!'

Cadance!” Polaris exclaimed, and then quailed. 'Why? Why have my manners deserted me in my hour of need?' He clamped down on the dramatic inner monologue; there would be time for that later.

I mean, Princess!” he spluttered, trying to recover. It was quite a contrast to the normally urbane demeanour of the duke; the usual poise and easy delivery of his words had been blown away in his panic, althoughhis voice was still a treat to listen to, at least. “I'm so sorry! I got blinded by the sun when I came in, ma'am – under normal circumstances I never would have got so muddled as to mistake you for confectionery, I assure you!

Cadence smiled absently as Sweet Surprise shared her confusion, then listened with more rapt attention as the shopkeeper's speel began. Various fudge names were rattled off, each one evocative of a delicious-sounding treat. Tiny drools of desire threatened their way toward her lips, and she instantly quelled the urge. Despite how savory the fudge sounded, such behavior was hardly becoming of a princess... she'd drool over it later in private.

"The daisy fudge sounds amazing!" the princess commented, looking over at the board as her eyes widened with glee. "Actually, all of it does."

A blurted shout caught her off guard and she shied backward, her wings ruffling in surprise. She hardly ever heard her name burst from somepony with such conviction. Looking in the direction of the voice, she found none other than Duke Polaris once again, a look of extreme embarrassment on his features. Shortly afterward he seemed to admonish himself and added "Princess," explaining how he had been blinded before apologizing. Cadence's brow furrowed as she tried to follow his explanation, until realization dawned on her about the pink fudge and the stallion's reaction.

Laughter burbled forth from her chest until she couldn't contain it and let it ring out, high and clear as a bell. The thought that such a refined pony would call her both delicious and other food-related adjectives literally tickled the alicorn pink, as she became flushed from her mirth. After wiping tears from the corners of her eyes, Cadence trotted forward to stop a respectable distance from her noble friend.

"Duke Polaris," she cooed genially, "there is absolutely for which you need to apologize. If anything, I should thank you for such a fun mistake! It's a pleasure to see you again, really," she added, her eyes sparkling with the remnants of her amusement as well as sincerity.

Polaris watched in gloomy despair as Princess Cadance shied in surprise and shock, wings snapping upwards and outwards in a blast of air that ruffled his mane and tail. Rustication – fleeing to the welcoming embrace of Fetlock Hall, deep in the southern Equestrian countryside – was looking increasingly attractive, a notion only reinforced when the pink alicorn began to laugh, of all things.

It was a pleasant laugh, to be sure, high and pealing, like the palace bells, almost, but Polaris found his appreciation of the sound severely dented by the knowledge that it was directed at him. 'That's it,' he thought gloomily. 'I'll be the laughingstock of the entire Royal Court. The next train to Manehattan, I'll be on it! Or perhaps I'll charter an air-chariot instead. The luggage can follow on by train, but I'd like to be well shot of Canterlot before the laughter starts ringing from every parapet of the palace!' Two divisions of embarrassment rushed ahead of the main force and made camp on his face, a dark red glow spreading across his cheeks.

'Get a grip on yourself, Polaris,' he thought, angry at himself for losing his poise. 'It was a simple mistake, and I'm sure the Princess will understand. Almost sure, anyway. Hopefully. She's a nice pony.'

Polaris had to lock his legs in order not to flinch as Princess Cadance came closer. He swallowed, hard, bracing himself, and then nearly toppled over from shock at her next words, pleasant and gentle and far nicer than he'd expected. “A fun mistake?” he echoed, half an octave higher than normal. He cleared his throat with a discombobulated harrumph, and permitted himself a small, cautious smile. When you thought about it, it was rather funny - his smile got wider as he began to see the humourous side of things. “Well, it's good to see that you have a sense of humour, ma'am – even though I might have preferred to find out another way.

The blush was fading, now, but only slowly; two spots of high colour remained by his muzzle, stubbornly resisting the calming of the rest of him. “The pleasure's all mine, I assure you, even if we didn't get off to the best of starts today.” He risked another, slightly sardonic smile, relieved that the Princess seemed to be taking the fudge incident in her stride, and that she actually seemed to mean her pleasantry. “I see we have at least one thing in common, Princess – a dreadfully sweet tooth!” He gestured expansively at the crowded shelves piled high with sweet treats. “Now that I can see things clearly, I think I'll try some of that delectable cherry fudge our gracious host mentioned earlier.” He looked, somewhat apologetically, at Cadance. “I'm a devil for cherries, you know. And please, highness, do call me Polaris.

Sweet was happy that the ponies understood her long list of fudge flavors. She then noticed as Princess Cafence was deciding that Duke Polaris looked upset. Sweet hoped that it wasn't something she said, like the fact that there was no pink fudge.

Just when Princess Cadence mentioned that she wanted to try the daisy fudge, Polaris suddenly shouted the pink princess's name and began to apologize profusely for mistaking the Princess for a pile of pink fudge! Sweet tried holding back the laughter. after all, it was bad manners to make a pony feel bad. But when Princess Candence brought forth a laugh that was so melodic a pony would swear she was singing, Sweet couldn't help herself and quickly ran into the kitchen of the shop and started laughing! Although being in another room, the laughter could still be heard a little bit. Sweet laughed herself so much she collapsed to the floor.

"Ok. No more... stomach hurts from laughing."

She collected herself and returned to where the ponies were. It seemed Cadence and Polaria made friendly amends with each other. The Duke mentioned his selection of the cherry fudge.

"Ok then! One sample of daisy fudge and one sample of cherry fudge coming right up!"

Sweet zipped behind the counter where she pulled out two plates of precut fudge. Balancing one on her head and one on her back, the candy making pony slowly made her way to the two.

"Here you go! The daisy fudge plate is on my head and the cherry one is on my back."

Wow, did that just happen?, Timid thought to himself as he was rolling on the tile floor, completely incapacitated by laughter. "Ha ha, Polaris, you mistook the Princess for fudge!", he said, tears rolling down his cheeks. It was just too funny as Sweet left the room, barely keeping her laughter in check before losing it behind the closed door of the workshop. Even the Princess found it amusing as she laughed with them.

"Oh my, I...(hahaha)...can't(wheeze)...breathe...(giggle)", Timid said as he tried to get up on his hooves and ask for some fudge.

Cadence grinned a little as both Timid and Sweet caught the infectious laughter, her own entertainment only tempered by Polaris's lingering embarrassment. He did seem to cheer up a bit though, his smile returning as he steeled himself and mentioned that cherry fudge was what he sought. A treat favored by many, to be sure, just not one to Cadence's personal liking. She considered sticking the tip of her tongue out at the duke, but that was highly informal and she figured he'd had enough shock to his grace for one day. She opted for making a mock-disgusted face instead.

"I can't handle them myself," she admitted, levitating a small piece of daisy fudge from the tray on Sweet Surprise's head. "I prefer simple sweet things, I suppose my palette just can't keep up!"

With a gentle nip of the treat floating before her, the princess gave an appreciative mmmm. It was rather delicious, with subtle earthy hints that didn't disrupt the delicate flowery flavor. The sweet had been lovingly and expertly made, that much was obvious.

Polaris sighed, although tolerantly, and put on a hugely over-exaggerated, long-suffering face as the laugher infected both Sweet Surprise and Timid Star – who he'd not managed to notice either, blast the light differences, amongst the maze of shelves and displays groaning under the weight of sweet treats. At least Sweet Surprise had the presence of mind to vanish into the nether regions of the shop, where her laughter was muffled, before bursting into gales of merriment, and so she could safely be ignored for a little while. The colt rolling around on the floor, however... “Do stand up, Timid Star. You don't know what's been walked onto this floor, or by whom, no matter how clean a shop Sweet Surprise keeps.

Polaris was about to say more on the subject of rolling around on the ground like an earth pony, but at that moment the chocolatier emerged, and he felt a lot more capable of forgiving her; plates were balanced on her head and the small of her back, and the delicious smell of cherries and daisies, mingled with rich sugar, wafted and billowed from them both, piercing through the background aroma of chocolate. His mouth began to water, even as his magic lofted a large piece of fudge, but just before his teeth closed on the inviting morsel, the Princess admitted she didn't care for cherries, which prompted the duke to turn and gaze, nonplussed, at the royal alicorn for a moment.

You don't like cherries?” he exclaimed, morsel still bobbing invitingly in the air, half-forgotten at this revelation. “Not even sweet cherry tart, or, or, or kirsch? Gods and stars.” He shook his head, wonderingly, and then brightened, a slyly wicked smile curving up his muzzle. “Well,” he sighed, after a moment's thought, “It wouldn't do for everypony to be the same – and that does mean I can shamelessly monopolise the cherry fudge.

To prove his point, he bit deep into the floating piece still patiently suspended in ice-blue magic in front of him, appreciating the melange of flavours, the pervading sweetness tempered by the sharp bursts of intense flavour from tiny pieces of dried cherry, contrasting to perfection. “Delightful, as expected,” he commented, with a smile, absently lofting another piece off the plate. “If I could have a pound and a half of that, please, Sweet Surprise? Oh, and while I remember – how well does it all keep? I mean t'say, nothing sweet lasts very long in my presence, but I'm planning to host a party in a few weeks, down at Fetlock Hall, and I was considering putting in an order. Would it have to be made on the day and then freighted down post-haste, or will it stay meltingly moist and delicious for a while?

His gaze flicked towards Timid Star, who had managed to right himself and was now evidently waiting patiently to chime in with his own request. “Can I tempt you, Timid Star?” he asked, in part to show that all was forgiven, and in part to induct the young unicorn into the delights of sweet cherries. A luscious bit of the fudge turned idly over and over in a corona of powder-blue light, a little way in front of the colt, inviting him to take a bite.

Sweet watched as Timid rolled around on the floor in laughter before Duke Polaris mentioned the fact that the floor wasn't clean. At first the chocolate pony was a little put off by this. She stove to keep the store as clean as possible as a clean store meant that more ponies would want candy. But there was no telling what a pony would track in from the streets, so his comment made sense.

Sweet watched as Princess Cadence and Duke Polaris eat their respective fudge. It was always a pasttime she liked to do, watching ponies enjoy her creations. Seeing their eyes light up and smiles form on their faces made Sweet happy. She even remembered a pony swooning after eating a fudge.

"Well, I'm so glad you like the fudge Princess Cadence. Actually this was my first time making daisy fudge. i know ponies like daisies and fudge, so I thought about combining them. Do you want to try another or order some? And I'm happy you like the cherry fudge, Duke Polaris. I definitely have a pound and a half of it. As for how well they keep, fudge stays good for about a week. Now, to keep the flavor the best, I put a box in ice. The ice locks in the flavor, making it taste super delicious!"

Sweet was also waiting on Timid who finally got up off the floor and now was being tempted by Polaris to try some cherry fudge.

Timid didn't know what to do, he felt bad that he had rolled on the floor laughing at Polaris' error. He sat transfixed, staring at the offered cherry fudge enfolded in the glow of the Duke's magic. What should I do? He sounded annoyed at my outburst, yet he is offering me a piece of fudge? Is he forgiving me or being polite? I am not sure. Timid thought to himself as he swallowed hard, shaking nervously. "Uh, I am sorry, your grace. I haven't borne witness to something humorous in a turtle's age.", Timid said nervously in apology and rushed for the door. Retreating seemed the best option, but not before levitating a bag of chocolate fudge and leaving payment on the counter. "Thank you, Sweet! Let Polaris and the Princess share the free fudge from my purchase!", he cried as he fled the store like a Cerberus was hot on his hooves.

Cadence blinked and watched curiously as Timid Star hurriedly left the shop with his fudge, tossing a few bits onto the counter as he disappeared with embarrassment hanging about him like a cloud. It was mildly confusing for the mare, considering she'd been the first one to laugh. Granted, she hadn't rolled on the floor and was laughing more about the situation itself, but surely the fact that Timid was much younger allowed him a bit more forgiveness? Either way, Polaris had been rather agreeable about it all.

Her attention was drawn back to Sweet Surprise when she asked about the fudge. She would need to hide the treasures from Aunt Celestia and her notorious sweet tooth, but Cadence figured she could manage.

"I'll take three pounds," the princess whispered after leaning in, a light blush creeping across her cheeks at making the large order. "I'll find a way to keep it on ice and make it last." She turned to Polaris. "How is the life of a noble treating you in the short time since we last met?" she queried curiously. "Well I hope."

Polaris blinked in mild shock as Timid Star cowered before his offering as though it were the worst weapon imaginable before all-but-snatching a bag of fudge and casting some bits in the general direction of the shop counter, vanishing in an instant and leaving Polaris's cherry peace-offering tumbling forlornly at colt-level. His ears drooped, his posture slumped, and a heavy sigh filled the air. To comfort himself, he took another bite of the cherry deliciousness that he was, true to his word, shamelessly monopolising. The rush of sugary, tasty goodness helped somewhat.

Really, it seems as though Canterlot's experiencing something of an epidemic of 'run away' as of late,” he observed, voice deceptively light. “Then again, that's hardly surprising, given recent, ah, events.” Polaris coughed and looked away momentarily; he wasn't sure how well the Princess was coping with the memory of her wedding-that-nearly-wasn't. “Either that, or the Duke of Manehattan is a scary, scary pony,” he added, deadpan.

But to answer you, Princess – life is good, nonetheless. It's always a joy to come back to Canterlot after a long time away; to see faces old and new – like your good self, to get lost when somepony changes the city layout again, to find that my favourite cafe's expanded into a seven-restaurant spectacular, to fall in the fountain in Canterleigh Park after rather too much Chateau Lahoof and brandy with old schoolfriends – although I haven't done that since I first became an ambassador, and I'd take it as a service if you wouldn't mention it to too many people...and of course, to attend the opera.” He gestured expansively, enthusiasm all-but infectious. “I saw a truly glorious performance of HMS Pintafore on Tuesday, you know. The music and the sparkling dialogue together make one of the best recipes for laughter I know of.” A wry smile and a half-shrug. “Not the most highbrow of material, of course – I doubt one would find my fellow patron Prince Blueblood dead at a Pintafore production, for instance - but it's a perennial favourite of mine nonetheless.” He laughed, shortly, at that, eyes becoming contemplative and somewhat distant.

Having said all of that on the delights of the city, though, I have to confess I miss the southern Equestrian countryside. Canterlot is always changing, full of vibrant life, a shot in the foreleg, if you will, that gets you up and going if you're a bit down in the dumps, but the Strand is where I was born and the dear old pile of Fetlock Hall is my anchor and my castle both. I spent my childhood running through the Great Park and following the ponies around on the Home Farm there, I learned to swim in the Galloping River where it runs through the estate and met my oldest friends in the little villages that dot the duchy.” He smiled, vaguely reminiscent. “Even had super secret midnight raids on the Little Pantry with them and all. Yes, the Hall is my true home, that immovable centre that holds a pony fast, wherever they are, and I miss it greatly, on occasion.” Every word that Polaris had been speaking was underlined by a vast and unshakeable fondness for the place he spoke of, a deep and abiding love for his home and his duchy both. He coughed, suddenly self-conscious, the dark blush returning once more.

Your pardon, ma'am,” he murmured, with a half-bow. “The lands your aunts entrusted to my family are very precious to me.” To give himself a little time to recover, he glanced at the fudge board again.

Sweet Surprise, could I be a bother and ask to try some of the apple vanilla, too? Oh, and do you happen to sell truffles, by the way? Orange and dark chocolate, for preference – and no alcohol in them. I know they're not in the sale, but...” he trailed off with a mildly apologetic shrug and turned to the Princess, thinking he sounded rather gluttonous.

They're not for me – well, not all of them,” he explained. “Have you by any chance met the Skybright twins, Star and Shanna?

Sudsdenly Timid bolted out of the store like he had just seen a ghost.

"Timid! Wait come back," Sweet shouted from the door. Unfortunately he was down the road, unable to hear her call. "I wonder what got into him."

She then turned her attention to her two royal customers. Princess Cadence shocked the pony by ordering three pounds of daisy fudge.

"Th... three pounds! Wow... thanks Princess Cadence! I'll box those up and yours too Duke Polaris."

As she prepared the fudge squares for transport, Sweet listened to the duke tell his tales of his activities. Sweet sighed, wondering what life would be like as a noble pony. She always had a wild fantasy where at a fancy gala she would meet a royal pony who would wisk her off her hooves and take her to a castle. There they would have endless parties and the two would happily ever after.

Her fantasy was broken by Duke Polaris's request.

"Oh sure we have apple vanilla fudge. Let me get some."

With that the mare set down the two sample ones she had and found the tray with the apple vanilla ones.

"Here you go. As for truffles, I have truffle boxes. Many are assorted chocolates, but I have select ones, and I know I have orange and my favorite, dark chocolate. Do you want to try any other fudge, Princess?"

Polaris hid an indulgent, self-satisfied smile as Sweet Surprise snapped out of her reverie and bustled off around the counter. Watching ponies' reactions to his noble lifestyle never got old; he'd seen the gamut from repulsion - among the militantly egalitarian ponies - to starry-eyed fantasy; anyone from fillies to (impecunious) nobleponies seemed to be susceptible. It wasn't all roses and afternoon tea at half past four with Princess Celestia, of course, but it could certainly sound that way.

When Polaris had been younger, having a home that was so large that friends could get lost in its outer reaches, having to restrict games of Hide-and-Seek to particular wings and not being allowed to eat all the desserts on the sideboard at dinner were the primary complaints he had about life in general – a far cry indeed from a rock farmer's humble existence, for example.

Even as a full-grown stallion of high repute and the laurelled Duke of Manehattan to boot, his gripes hadn't increased in seriousness all that much; friends could still get lost in the far-flung wings of home, but rather than Hide and Seek problems, the overwhelming nature of Fetlock Hall tended to intimidate ponies subjected to its splendour for the first time. More than one pony the duke had hoped to court had been invited home and faltered when confronted with the physical representation of his power and wealth, a rather depressing fact. Regardless, he knew he walked a path strewn with roses when compared to many others – even his job saw him feted and looked after wherever he went, allowed him to see far-flung places on the taxpayer's bit, and resulted in a great many splendid gifts with which to stock the halls of Hoofburgh House and Fetlock Hall both.

He blinked himself out of his own momentary spot of reflection and took a cautious nibble of the apple vanilla. It wasn't a flavour he'd tried before – and, as it happened, it was lucky he took only a small bite. Taken individually, Polaris liked vanilla – especially in tarts and ice-cream, and he liked apples, too, especially in the summer. He'd been hoping for a picnic fudge, really, something to complement Canape's excellent rock toffee, a delicacy that Polaris had looked forward to since he was a young colt. Mixed together, however...

Oh, dear me,” he coughed, eyes wide in surprise. The two flavours caught in the back of his throat, cloying and sickly, and he coughed again. “Dear oh dear.” His face twisted through several rather interesting grimaces even as his magic rather jerkily fished a silvery flask out of an inner pocket and tipped a generous quantity of the liquid inside – smelling rather strongly of apples and pears - into his mouth. Some battle appeared to be being waged for a moment or two, before Polaris swallowed heavily. “I, ah, think I'll give the vanilla and apple fudge a miss, on balance. Not my best choice, I have to say,” he murmured, rather hoarse. “I'll have six boxes of the orange and dark chocolate truffles, please.

Cadence listened passively as Polaris regaled her with tales of both his colthood and his current circumstances, smirking a little as a dreamy look came into his eyes. Reveries were entertaining things to watch if you were an audience to one, and it seemed like the noble duke was far and away from the little chocolate shop at that moment. Surely fond meories were worth the metaphorical trip, though. Canterlot Castle had been rather fun itself when she was younger.

Between all the lessons and rather boring history sessions, the adolescent princess had wonderful times exploring the ancient structure and all of its little nooks and crannies. The rear pantry that few of the stewards thought to check, which provided many a mid-afternoon snack while dodging the hawk-eyed guards.The favorites, however, were the long winter nights curled up in the Royal Study that her aunts often frequented, snuggling under a blanket in front of a roaring fire. It was actually those lazy times that had built her appreciation for chocolate and milk, and by extension fudge. There was nothing better than warmth and a treat while looking outside to see the snow flurrying about.

Cadence realized that she'd been daydreaming herself when Polaris's choking brought her back to reality with a bit of amused concern.

"You weren't kidding about that sweet tooth," she teased, snickering innocently.

Sweet Surprise shook herself out of her reverie. There were no fancy galas that she attended, no formal trappings in her life. It was just her and this little chocolate shop on the corner of a street in Canterlot.

"Well, I'm just happy of my life now," she said to Duke Polaris, "I have this shop, I have ma ability to make yummy candies, and I have my friends. Of course running a larger shop or making candies for a fancy gala would be my best goal."

She then drew her attention to the running list of everything that the two ponies were buying.

"Ok. So for Princess Cadence I have three pounds of daisy fudge. For Duke Polaris there's a pound and a half of cherry fudge, six boxes of orange truffles, and six boxes of dark chocolate truffles. i hope I got everything correct. Did I miss anything? Is there any other fudge flavor you wanted to try?"

"A good diplomat never lies outright," he pronounced grandly to the Princess, one eye flickering shut in a wink for a fraction of a second. "Although if that's truly the case I must hold my hoof up to being a bad one. My sweet tooth is the only vice I will happily own up to, but, as I said, not all of the truffle boxes are for me this time. Starbright – or as I should really call her, Professor Starbright, of the University of Canterlot and the Astronomer Royal to boot – is in foal, you see. I chanced upon the Skybright twins – Star, who goes by 'Hoss' quite a lot, for no reason that I can fathom, and Shanna, if you remember them – at your CRPR Open House the other day, and they asked me to spread the news through the Court.” Polaris smiled, wide and conspiratorial.

It was rather an honour to be asked, actually. I've a great deal of respect for the redoubtable Professor, and have had ever since I first met her as a rather feckless university student - I helped her with some star charts of the Strand she was compiling of an evening and she could generally be counted on to let me snaffle a few of her midnight truffle snacks in exchange. I thought I'd repay the favour, since I've never seen her without a bowl of something sweet and wicked close at hoof, and I've heard all about the cravings mares tend to get at this sort of time.

Polaris cocked his head to one side as Sweet Surprise spoke, giving her words deserved and weighty consideration. “All present and correct, Sweet Surprise, but...hmm...better make that two pounds of the cherry fudge, on reflection. I shall wear my discreet earplugs when Doctor Red Crescent comes calling next – I'm on holiday, and I should be allowed to eat what I like, food plan or no food plan.” He nodded resolutely, looking very military for a moment. As far as the duke was concerned, he and Red Crescent were locked in battle, even if the doctor shrilly maintained that a diet of celery sticks was 'for his own good'. Polaris had only once expressed his own personal opinion of this to Red Crescent, and had been left with a two-hour-long lecture along the lines of 'Which Pony of the Two Of Us Knows Best: Me' and a persistent ringing in his left ear for three days.

And, if Cadance – her highness, that is – has no objection, I shall shamelessly steal a sample of that daisy fudge she's been munching on like there's no tomorrow and, ah, test it. For compatibility with picnics and that sort of thing. Cherry fudge is more for curling up in front of the fire with a good book, in my mind.” He beamed at the pile of neat boxes stacking up on his side of the counter, not caring a jot about the calories and fat lurking inside the luscious treats within.

I'm sure business is booming for you, Sweet Surprise – it's always nice to see ponies making the most of their talents. You'll soon be able to move to a larger store – or one in a more prominent position - of that I have absolutely no doubt. I shall certainly be telling my friends to try some of your culinary masterpieces, never fear! Now, as I mentioned earlier, I'm planning to host a party down at Fetlock Hall in a few weeks, and I may well ask you to help with the confectionery side of things, so you can at least fulfil that part of your dream, eh? My chef is very good, I'll be the first to say, but she and her staff can't do everything all at once, no matter how many ponies I take on. The kitchens are only so big, after all.

Rose Madder was never all that used to dieting. Growing up, she had an enviable metabolism that allowed her to burn all of those calories she put on with sweet treats and cheesy food. Whenever she got a bit pudgy, she had always found it easier to put most of her attention on exercise, running through the streets for an hour or two until she got winded. She could also explore new places in the city while she was exercising, an idea that made her feel oh-so-clever when she first thought of it. But she didn’t always go to new places, since Canterlot was only so big and she’d run out of them eventually. Sometimes she craved the familiar instead of the exciting and new.

So it was that she found herself walking through a district with lots of sweet smells. Perfume, flowers, food, all so appealing to her nose. Perhaps she could have a nice bouquet for lunch, or a whopping big pile of hay fries? Her reckless gallop slowed to a far more reasonable canter as thoughts of food made her stomach rumble at a volume she briefly thought the ponies next to her could hear. She would have to fill up on something before she ran back home.

The decision of what to eat didn’t take long. Rose soon emerged from a local restaurant with a warm, thick burrito tucked into her saddlebags. She wasn’t expecting too much from it, but she’d had it before and it was alright. Those burritos went down without much complaint and filled her up well enough to last. Still, she could use some dessert, and so she entered a sweet shop she vaguely remembered visiting in the months before. The fact that it was having a sale didn’t hurt, either!

“Helloooo!” she sang out as she pushed the door in. “I don’t suppose you remember me from earlier? I keep meaning to drop by again but I keep putting it… off.” She caught a glimpse of another customer in the store, a face everypony in the city recognized from the most popular and famous wedding in recent memory. Princess Cadence still looked stunning in the flesh, and Rose could see why stallions wanted her and other mares wanted to be her. But personally Rose was never really enchanted with the princess life, and the media had never really given many hints that there was more to Cadence than that. Maybe today Rose would be proven wrong.

“Your highness!” Rose said in surprise. “Fancy seeing you here!” Then she noticed the princess’s gentlecolt companion, a regal stallion wearing what looked to be fancy and expensive metal barding. “I have to admit, I’m a bit at a loss for words. I wasn’t expecting to see any of the upper crust here!” As much as the hype surrounding Cadence’s wedding exasperated her, she had to admit that very important ponies were still very important ponies. Every opportunity to network and get a patron of the arts to notice her was well worth taking.

Though Rose tried to play it cool, she suspected she was coming off star-struck. How fortunate that nopony could hear her quickened pulse. “Oh, do pardon me, your highness, I’m not familiar with your friend here.” She gave the Duke of Manehattan a small bow. “May I have the pleasure?”

Polaris had been just about to snaffle a piece of daisy fudge from Princess Cadance's plate when the cheery chiming of the shop bell alerted him to another's presence. Distracted, momentarily, from the sweet goodness – and wondering whether it was Timid Star come back to apologise, he turned towards the door, tilting his head and peering around the shelves and racks of sweet treats. He was just in time to catch sight of a pony with a rather unusual coat colour somewhere between violet and red – not that he could really talk, midnight blue and black amid Canterlot high society's white and blonde - passing through the entryway and carolling a greeting to all and sundry, one which almost comically petered out when the mare caught sight of the Princess.

Surprise – complete and total – reigned supreme on the pony's face for a few moments, but, credit where it was due, she soon recovered, and it was evident she'd learned something of manners and common courtesy by her address. He inclined his head gently to her in reply and acknowledgement of her bow.

Polaris, by grace of the Princesses Duke of Manehattan, at your service.” His eyes twinkled and a faint smile touched his muzzle. “Within reason, of course. The pleasure is all mine, I assure you, miss...” he trailed off delicately, waiting for her to furnish him with her name.