(Canterlot) Mending Hearts (Ended)

Lux

Question Mark nodded eagerly. "Oh yes I do, I mean they're awesome. They can teach you some much, and don't require anypony. You can read about anything you want, and aren't forced to learn about stuff you already know or don't care about." He paused and blushed lightly. "S-so yeah, I really like books, all types really. Um... what's it like to be able to use magic? I've read some books on the feeling and stuff... but um... I'm curious." He wasn't sure if this was proper conversation edicate, but he felt strangly... calm. He was still afraid, but he was no longer tempted to just leave the room.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More and more Question Mark appeared calmer and more willing to talk to Heart. He was very interested in explaining why he liked books and wasn't afraid to share it.

"Well, I like being able to do magic, but then again I never knew what it would be like without it. My particular magic, being able to read the emotions of other ponies is mostly a gift, but sometimes it's a burden. This is due to feeling every emotion a pony has like hate and sadness. I hear some empath ponies have gone in sane because the emotions of others have taken over their body. But I digress. What is it like being an eart pony?"

"That sounds... different then I expected." Question Mark said with a small frown. "Being an earth pony? It's nothing special really. I mean pegusus can fly, and unicorns can use magic, but we can all walk on the ground. It seems kinda... unfair that we don't have anything special like that." He mused softly touching his hoof to his chin. "It's like being you I guess, but not being able to use magic, ever." He nodded, satisfied with his answer. "So um... do... you ever um... Oh! What do you do for fun?" He said the last question with some mesure of pride at his ability to think of it.

Heart was pleased that she no longer neded to guide the conversation as now Question Mark was generating his own questions. A little more mock conversation should boost his coinversation.

"Well, I don't have too much free time due to my work, but I like to take walks in town to enjoy nature and to clear my mind after a busy day. I also as I mentioned like to read. Other than that I like listening to music, going shopping with friends, and going to plays. So, what do you like to do?"

Question Mark shrugged. "I like to read... um... and..." He stopped for a second and thought. "And... I find lost stuff?" His voice had trailed off as he realized that he really didn't have any fun activities he could share with Heart Healer. "Um...I really don't do to much, I mostly stay at home most of the day when I don't work and read... I also like to visit other places, but I don't get to very often..."

His eyes shifted slightly to the side of Heart Healer as he struggled to think of another topic, but his mind was drawing a blank, and he slowly felt discomfort settle in where confidence used to be. "Er... could... um... do you have... many friends?" He finished meekly.

Heart Healer noticed that Question Mark was starting to waver when asked if he had any activities he liked to do. There was a positive and negative side to this. On one hoof, it was a blow to his confidence in carrying on a conversation, but on the other hoof she hoped that he was now aware of the fact that perhaps by finding other things to do he could meet more ponies and thus make more friends.

"Well, if you find new activities, then that can help you not only be happy but meet other ponies. I have a few good friends and a couple of acquaintances. Not too many though, and I wish I had time to meet them more."

Heart paused. She could ask if he had any friends, but she already knew that answer. That question would also invevitably lead the two back to where they started with no progress. Heart decided on another path.

"You said you work at your father's cafe. What is you favorite food?"

Question Mark perked up at the question and took a few moments to think about it. "Well... I don't usually eat at the cafe... it's really expensive, but I like the salad... it's cheap and filling." He nodded to himself. "I don't know if it's my favourite, but it's the most financially sound choice... plus it doesn't taste bad either."

He touched a hoof to his face in thought. "I'm guessing this job pays quite well, so I would assume cost has no cause on your favourite food... but in keeping with the conversation's tempo... what's your favourite food?"

A sudden wave of understanding pulsed through Question Mark as something occured to him. This 'pointless' conversation that he had been avoiding, could be seen as a learning experience, even today he had gotten some information about a unique type of magic that he wouldn't have learned about otherwise, plus she hadn't laughed at him or belittled him yet... I seemed that coming here had been worth more then just for study...

Heart Healer smiled as she saw a flicker of understanding on Question Mark's fact. He seemed to realize that conversations were an important tool in making friends with other ponies and that they are not a stressful or pointless as he first made them out to be.

"I like salads myself, especially ones with neat things like peapods or orange sclices. I also have a bit oif a sweet tooth so I like things like cakes, pies and chocolates. So, here's an interesting quiestion: if there was nothing holding you back and you could do anything you want, what would it be?"

Question Mark stopped and stared at the unicorn, his eyes frozen in a mix between hope and abject dispair. "What would I do if I could do anything?" He said softly, shifting his gaze to his hooves. "I-" His voice cracked as he serched his brain for any answer to give her. "I want to... be a detective, and have a family and friends... I want to be normal." His voice shook for a moment, before straightening itself. "But I'm not, I'm not a likable pony, I'm not attractive, funny, smart, rich or anything. I'm a outcast, and I'll stay that way, it doesn't help to dream of something that will never come to pass. I don't-" He stopped himself and screwed his eyes shut. "I've always thought I'm not good enough, for anything. I've been told so many times that I'm wrong, but it doesn't go away. I don't know what I'm suppose to do, I want to love, to be loved... but I'm not good enough for it." The stallion felt one sole tear trickle out of his eyes before he opened them again, staring at Heart Healer in wonder. "It's me... I'm the problem, not everypony else. If I try harder to meet ponies... I-I can do it, right?" His voice was excited, with a slight hint of pleading to it.

Heart Healer could feel the pony's anguish. He wanted to feel love, to be accepted, but he was caught in a neverending cycle of self doubt. She felt a tear forming in her eye as the sadness washed over her.

"I think we can end the role playing conversation for now. You did a wonderful job asking questions and responding to them. Although I'm not an expert, being a good detective involves investigation. You are investigating into why and how something happened. The same can be said about regular conversation. You are investigating into another pony's life, only this time to get to know them more. It may take a little time and effort to talk to ponies, but with practice you will become better communicating with them. For example: who do you see as the qualities of an ideal friend?"

Question Mark sniffed and slowly looked around the room, as if his answer would be there. "I- They'd have to be smart I guess, someone I could have a conversation with, and wouldn't stare at me weirdly when I talk. And they'd have to be..." He hummed and looked at his hooves. "I guess anypony who would accept me for who I am, and be able to put up with me not always being... average I guess." He shook his head slightly at the thought. "Like I said, it's useless to dream of ideals... but I think that would be it." He looked up with a hopeful smile "Do you really think it's just like being a detective? Like a pony detective? That could be interesting way of seeing it... do you really think I could be better?"

"Well it is very detective like, although you're not searching for something that's lost. You're ... finding friendships by inverstigating into the lives of other ponies. And yes, I definitely think you can be better. We all have a chance to change our lives for the better. The trick is looking at what we want to change, find out what we would be willing to do to get that change, and going forward. So you seem like you want to change your life. Can you think of ways to do so?"

Question Mark tilted his head to the side as he thought of the question. "Well... I guess I should talk to more ponies... outside of an office of course. And maybe "chat up" as my dad calls it, the customers in the cafe more, and try to be intested in what they are saying." He smiled slightly. "Maybe I'll get out more, and stop spending every night at home." He looked up at Heart Healer with a puzzled look. "Those are all good ideas right?" He scuffed the chair slightly with his hoof. "And I'll... try and stop being so scared of everypony."

Those are all very good ideas, Question Mark. The main thing to remember is that ponies are interested in ponies who are interested in them. If you show an interest in what they think or like or do, then they will like you. Remember that many ponies are friendly and as such you shouldn't be afraid of them. Just talk to them like you talked to me."

Question Mark nodded his head in agreement with Heart Healer's words. "Yeah, you're right. I think... no I know I can do that now." He smiled, a real smile for once. "Well, I guess this was a lot more then a simple learning experience about magic and psycology. Um... thanks a lot, I really think that this helped, and I'm really greatful, for everything."

"You're certainly welcome," Heart Healer said with a smile, "I'm glad to see that I inspired you to try and make new friends. Do you have any other questions or concerns that I can help you with?"

Question Mark tapped his hooves together in thought for a couple moments before shaking his head slowly. "Nope, I don't think there is right now. Um... but if anything does come up, you wouldn't mind me coming back right? I kinda like this place." He punctured the statement by looking around the room. "And... if I see you, on the street, would you... mind if I said hi?"

Heart Healer was happy that what needed to be addressed was covered in today's session with Question Mark. The task was for him to take the lessons he learned and apply it to real life.

"You may certainly come back if there is anything else you wish to talk to me about. All you have to do is talk to my receptionist and she will give you a time and day. And I'm also glad you like the place. I try to make is as comfortable for ponies to meet with me as possible."

Hear then heard Question ask if she could say to her. She hoped she wasn't that unapproachable.

"Of course I'll say hi to you if I see you on the streets. Even know this is a big city, there's a good change we'll meet again!"

Question Mark nodded with his eyes closed, before opening them with slight relief. "That's great, I thought... you know differences between work and life would stop us... interacting on the outside." He smiled softly and got up from his chair. "I think I'm going to go out tonight, maybe meet someone new..." He nodded and made his way towards the exit. "Oh and Heart Healer... thank you."

"Well, while it's one thing to keep a division between work and life, it's another thing to not say hi to a pony."

Heart Hearler then saw Question Mark with a satisfied look on his face get up and leave. He then added that he was was going to take the leap to try and go out into the world and meet other ponies.

"That's the spirit," she said with a smile, happy that he translated her words into action. Not all her ponies did that, often heeding her words but floundering with the execution of what they should do.

Heart then waved to Question as he left the office. She then waited for the next pony to visit her who needed help.

Welp, here she was. Rose stood in front of the door to Mending Hearts Clinic. The décor up front looked reassuring and welcoming, with light pastel decoration and a cute little heart motif. “Come on in,” it seemed to tell her, “you can tell us anything.” Who was she to distrust this friendly little building?

The implications of what she was thinking made her giggle. As if buildings could talk! She sighed and sat down next to the door, looking over the streets. Not a whole lot of things going on. There was another apartment building visible around a corner. She could see an earth pony sunbathing on one of the balconies. A Pegasus flew through the air right in front of her, blowing her mane to the side. After she rubbed her eyes and straightened it out again, she looked down at the cobblestones on the street. Pinkish-gray as usual, though somepony appeared to have fit in a brown stone in a regular interval. Rose imagined lines running through the brown stones to form a triangular or maybe hexagonal pattern.

She had extrapolated the pattern down to the apartment building when she violently shook her head. All she was doing was procrastinating again! Like many other ponies in need of therapy, she had doubts about whether she needed it, fearing the process of sharing herself with a complete stranger. Did she even really need to do it? Had she ever needed somepony else’s help to sort out her emotions and make sense of her life?

An earth pony pushed open the door and walked past her. He looked… contemplative? Troubled? Whatever he felt, it was clear that he didn’t get an easy fix. With a sigh, she got to her hooves and pushed the door open and walked into the waiting room. She figured she might as well get things over with.

The determined face she put on for the benefit of the receptionist couldn’t disguise the morass of confusion and doubt in her heart, even for ponies who couldn’t sense emotions like Heart Healer could. “Bad day?” the receptionist asked Rose as she signed her name on the sheet on the counter.

“Yeah… you could say that,” Rose replied.

The receptionist nodded. “Well, you came at the right time. Heart Healer can see you now.”

Rose looked at the door on the side and took a deep breath, then pushed the door open, looking into the counseling room. “Heart Healer?” she asked.

Heart Healer didn't have to wait very long for another pony to show up. It was a double edged sword seeing ponies come in. On one hoof she'd be happy if no ponies appeared as it meant that they were mainly happy. On the other hoof, not having ponies meant that her job as a counselor was obsolete. So as long as there were ponies with problems, she'd be there to help them.

The new pony was a unicorn mare with a cutie mark representing a rose and a scroll. She guessed that the scroll had to do with something writing related. Like most of the ponies that came to her office, she looked depressed, mixed with confusion, and a dash of uncertainty being there.

"Hello," the pinki unicorn said hearing her name, "Yes, I am Heart Healer. Please take a seat. What's your name?"

Rose twitched a bit when she heard Heart talk. "Yeah, okay." She looked around the room and saw a couch, probably for Heart's patience. "I'm Rose Madder. Nice to meet you." She shrugged and climbed onto the couch, tucking her legs underneath her body. It was comfortable, but it would take more than that to relax her.

"There's a lot going on in my life and I thought I could use some advice in dealing with it," she explained. "It's kind of a long story. Gimme a sec, I need to find out where to begin..." She tapped a hoof to her horn a few times, trying to get her brain to work. The haze of confusion - or perhaps it was a complex knot of rope - in her head was getting in the way of her thinking.

The pony was eager to start to talk about her life issues. This was a rare occurrence as most ponies required a little encouragement before they released their actual feelings or problems. Yet Rose was prepared, maybe a little too prepared. The minute the unicorn thried to explain her troubles, her brain froze. Heart had seen this happen before when so much was happening with a pony that it literally overwhelms the poor pony.

"I can see you have much on your mind, but how about we start by you telling me a little about yourself. Now I am an empath, which means that I can feel your emotions with your magic. Would this be ok if i used this magic? I promise that it won't hurt you."

Rose took a deep breath and looked into Heart’s eyes. “Okay. Yeah, let’s start simple. You can go ahead and use whatever you want. Just so long as, you know, I get doctor-patient confidentiality I think we’re good.”

She tapped a hoof on a pillow on the end of the couch as she concentrated on putting words together in her mind. “Well, I guess I should start with what I do. I’m a writer. I’ve published a novel. A Single Note. You may have heard of it, it got a few awards from some underground publications.” A hint of pride crept into her voice, and she smiled a bit before continuing. “And now I’m trying to figure out what to do next, is basically the root of the problem.” Uncertainty buried that proud feeling once more.