(Canterlot) Mending Hearts (Ended)

Lux

With Rose's consent, Heart Healer activated her magic. "I can assure you that anything you say here will be kept confidential."

As the pony explained her job, Heart could feel from her a sense of pride in her accomplishment. She knew of the book A Single Note, but she didn't read it. She had some books she was reading currently and several more writted on a to-read list.That feeling, however, was quickly replaced with uncertainty.

"So you're issue is finding inspiration for your new book, correct? Have you tried writing after your first one, or are you just working on some ideas?"

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rose sighed and pulled a pillow closer, setting it securely under her head. “Well, I guess that’s part of it. I’ve written down a lot of ideas, seeds if you will, for stories, but I’m not sure which one I wanna focus on now. So I guess I’ve just decided to make as many of them into short stories as I can. You know, publish a collection of them sometime.

“But honestly, I’ve been thinking a bit farther ahead, to what kind of writer I want to be. I was so focused on making A Single Note work that I hadn’t really thought about what to publish next. I mean, that book is so bleak and harrowing and shocking because I put my all into it.” Memories of the bad times that inspired the book surfaced in her mind, flashes of romance gone sour and rotten. “Even if I could write another book like that again, I wouldn’t want to. Shock gets hit pretty hard with diminishing returns, and besides, I don’t want to write the same story for the rest of my life. I’ve seen authors do that before and it always seems kinda sad to me.” The emotions that went with the statement were more pity and scorn than sadness.

“And I forgot to mention that I’ve got issues with family now that I’m kind of a big deal in the art world.” She frowned and started to feel coals of anger in her heart. “Pompous Trottingham blowhards trying to cozy up to me.”

Heart could the sense of frustration from Rose as she debated what to do with her writing. She wanted to develop her style of writing yet didn't want to be locked into writing like she did before. There was then that feeling of how others were treating her due to her fame: a deep simmering anger.

"I'm glad to hear you have some concepts in mind for future stories, and I understand that a writer needs to decide how they want to write. Since your first book did well maybe if you look at the way you wrote that rather than the topic that you wrote about it may help you. You mentioned that you didn't like the topic after writing it, how it caused stress. Does this have to do with the issues you're having in Trottingham?"

Rose shook her head. “Nah, that’s an entirely different issue here. A Single Note came out of my… awful love life. I’ve had the worst luck when it comes to romance. Five bad breakups in Canterlot alone.” She snorted and laughed, feeling a tinge of bitterness.

“But now my super-rich extended family wants to suck up to me, after what they did to my mom. I told them to stuff it, but they keep writing me over and over again!” The anger surged, but also mixed with doubt. “I don’t know what they want from me.”

Heart was shocked when she heard that Rose had not one, not two, but five breakups. she knew that sometimes relationships do not last and the best thing to do would be to have the ponies break up. But five breakups was astounding.

She then felt the hot resentment towards her extended family. heart surmized that maybe their constant nagging was leaving doubts in Rose's mind from writing out of fear that they would nag her more. Still, Heart didn't want to jump to conclusions yet. She needed to know more.

"So about your extended family, what if I may ask are they saying in their mesages. Are they just inquiring about your future stories or something else?"

Rose sighed and turned over on her side and stared up at the ceiling again. She felt the heat inside of her start to abate as she tried to focus on an answer. “Oh… it depends on which family member is writing. Most of them are just giving me advice and trying to point me in the ‘right and proper’ way to conduct myself as a member of the most illustrious and noble House of Maestro.” She started laughing at the thought, bending forward to hold her aching sides.

After a minute or so, she finally calmed down enough to talk again. “It’s funny because they’re not even part of Equestrian nobility, they’re just a bunch of rich, pretentious artistes. They disowned my mom because she became an herbologist and married a roofer. But now that my brother and I just proved that artistic talent skipped a generation, oh, now they want us back!”

She slammed a hoof into one of the pillows and sighed. “The only one who seems remotely nice is my cousin Staccato. He… just wants to get to know me, like a pen pal. Sure, his letters are as overwritten and flowery as the rest of the family’s, but he’s not judgmental and he actually read my book and loved it, controversy and all. Hard to believe he lives with the rest of those blockheads, huh?”

Heart Healer thought about what Rose said about her relatives messaging to her before speaking.

"Well it seems that your relatives at least have good intentions for wanting to write to you. Perhaps that their reasoning for showing you how to conduct yourself, as you said, is their way to show you that you care. Now, whether they want to see you back into the family remains to be seen. Do you want to be a part of their family?"

2z9ijom.jpg

Pony Joe nervously entered the building, shaking nervously. He'd been so excited to finally talk to somepony who might help him to get a grip on his disappointing life. At this point in time he had hoped to have fallen in love, travelled allover Equestria, and made a lot more business than he had. But the unicorn stallion was lonely, stuck in Canterlot, and making hardly any business at all.

He signed in at the front office, and took a seat with a sigh. He had brought his poetry notebook, and although the stallion often seemed a bit gruff he was really quite sensitive deep down inside. He wrote carefully, a poem about his life.

DREAMS

I'd been wanting so much more,

Something more than this.

All I have now is the store,

What else have I missed?

When I was young I dreamed of travel,

Far away from here.

Instead I've seen my dreams unravel,

I no longer hold them dear.

And I think I could be a good husband,

I could even be a good father.

But with my work I have been burdened,

And achieving this has gotten harder.

He sighed, closing the booklet. Could Heart Helper aid him? Only time would tell.

• 2 weeks later...

Rose rolled her eyes. “You give them way too much credit. They just don’t want a family member causing a scandal by getting drunk in public or something like that.” She shook her head and draped her foreleg over the back of the couch.

“I guess I could accept their offer. Staccato’s pretty cool, and the other folks in it my age aren’t too bad either. But they’d have to accept my family, too. They’d have to admit they were wrong. My brother’ll back me up on that. If they say no… then they can take their offer and shove it.”

"I would say to consider your choices carefully with what your relatives have to offer and your future with your other writings. I wouldn't let their opinions impact on your stories and what you choose to do with them in the future. I would also becareful not to burn and bridges prematurely until a pony such as your relative gives you a good reason to do so. And above all, when in doubt, follow your heart."

• 2 weeks later...

Rose tapped her hoof and thought it over. Much of the anger she'd felt before had exhausted itself, and in it's place was a thoughtful assembling of puzzle pieces. The situation might be more delicate than she had imagined, so a fiery rejection letter was probably not the best thing to do. "Okay, I'll explain myself in writing. Be polite, but firm. After that I guess it'll be up to them what they do." And she couldn't be held responsible for any drastic actions they might take.

"Well, that's one problem solved," she said, slumping back in the chair. "But I still don't know what to write next." She felt like taffy being pulled in a dozen different directions at once. "I dunno, what kind of book would you like to see?"

Heart Healer smiled at Rose's plan. The pink mare could feel the anxiety lift from the other pony.

"That is a great idea to express your thoughts in words. And the fact that you are choosing to be polite yet firm also is good. You don't want to burn any bridges if you don't have to. As for your writing, I can't really recommend anything spesific. I usually like reading some classics and even a little romance, but really anything I can pick up and read I like. I would just think about your experiences in your life and what you like to use those for your writing. i heard from writers that these make good topics for stories."

30jk84h.jpg

Spin Tale grunted as he slowly trotted into the Mending Hearts Clinic. The red-coated earth pony had not been in the best of moods throughout the last few months; not since he graduated from Canterlot Univeristy with a Ph.D in history and a load of student loan debt to show for his efforts. While Dr. Tale's new position as curator for the Canterlot Army Historical Society did its part to help pay his loans off, he had not been certain that his meager salary would be enough in case of a financial emergency. Combined with lingering frustration over his failure to land an associate professorship with a history department among one of Equestria's universities, the young doctor had fallen into a sort of depression. It did not help that Spin was no longer in contact with most of his university friends.

Many of Spin Tale's friends no longer lived in Canterlot, but Dr. Tale felt no need to needlessly burden his remaining friends in the city with his personal issues. Thus, he increasingly avoided maintaining contact with nearly all of his old associates, as the doctor assumed that they wouldn't involve themselves in Spin Tale's affairs if was out of sight and out of mind. Eventually, Dr. Tale was left with only his miniature wargaming buddies to serve his social needs. The doctor did his best to hide his worries, but even his miniature wargaming pals started to sense something was wrong when Spin no longer cared to throw hissy fits after losing matches; something he was quite infamous for.

And so upon their recommendation, Spin Tale closed his small museum for the day to come to the Mending Hearts Clinic. The stallion was unsure if its owner, Heart Healer, could help resolve his issues, but he figured he owed it to his pals to at least try something to make himself feel happier. With that thought in mind, the doctor signed himself in at the reception desk and moved over to the waiting area. Noting that one unicorn stallion was waiting for his appointment, Spin Tale proceeded to gaze down on his blue tie and use his hoof to fix his brown mane, which he thought he didn't quite brush good enough this morning.

It would not be the last time that Spin Tale overworried about his mane...

"You're welcome," Heart Healer said with a smile, hapy that Rose felt satisfied with what she learned.

"As for the fee, the secretary will take care of that on your way out. I will say it's a nominal fee, so don't worry about that. Oh, and do feel fre to come back anytime."

As Rose made her exit, she waited for the next pony to arrive.

• 4 weeks later...

*Time-skip*

30jk84h.jpg

Hearing from the receptionist that it was his turn, Spin Tale made his way over to Heart Healer's office. He still wasn't sure if it was worth his valuable time being here today; afterall, none of his problems affected his curator performance in any way. For the time being though, Dr. Tale mustered the bravest face possible as he trotted into the counseling room, although a trained eye would still be able to pick up on his insecurities. Seeing the pink-colored unicorn who ran the clinic, Spin greeted; [colour=#ff6666]"Ummm, hello there Ms. Healer. How do you do?" [/colour]

The next pony to meet with Heart Healer was a stallion. He had the appearance of being important, not necessarily wealthy but official looking. Still there was that look of uneasy, not just in the fact that he was meeting with her which was a common train that all who sought to be counseled had. He seemed uneasy about himself, like he was uncomfortable in his own body. Taking these surface observations in mind, Heart rose from her chair to greet the stalltion.

[colour=#800080] [/colour]

[colour=#800080]"Hello there, Mr. Spin Tale,"[/colour] Heart Healer said as she looked at her list of ponies who were meeting with her to get the stallion's name correct, [colour=#800080]"Thank you for asking about how I am. I am fine. Please have a seat. Now I have to let you know that everything you say will of course be confidential. Also, I am an empath, which basically means that I can feel your emotions. This helps me to understand you more and to help you. I, however, will only do this if you will grant me permission." [/colour]

30jk84h.jpg

An empath? Spin Tale wasn’t quite expecting Heart Healer to have the ability to actually read emotions. For a brief moment, Dr. Tale pondered whether to give the psychologist access to his innermost feelings. After a couple of seconds though, the curator came to the conclusion that this was probably why his acquaintances recommended her in the first place. Therefore, he decided that he really had no reason to deny Ms. Healer’s request. [colour=#ff6666]“Uhh, yep I give you permission,”[/colour] Spin replied; [colour=#ff6666]“To be rather honest, I’ve never sought therapy or anything like this ever before, so I’m not quite sure where to begin.”[/colour]

There was a clear pause when Heart Healer mentioned her ability. It was one she asumed would happen as few ponies ever heard about her talend. Even her unicorn patients were amazed. She wondered if she should give some kind of lecture in the future about her talent. But this wasn't the time to think about lecture topics. Her main priority was the pony sitting across from her.

[colour=#800080]"Ok then," [/colour]the pink mare said as she activated her magic, [colour=#800080]"I think the best way to start would be for you to tell me a little about yourself. What was your foalhood like? How did you get your cutie mark? Where do you work? things like that."[/colour]

30jk84h.jpg

As what was asked of Spin Tale essentially amounted to storytelling, the stallion was more eager to oblige Heart Healer’s latest inquiries. [colour=#ff6666]“Ah, of course,”[/colour] the curator started while finally taking his seat. [colour=#ff6666]“I’m the president and curator-in-chief of the Canterlot Army Historical Society. We have a small, non-profit museum that I manage just several blocks away from where the city garrison’s based. Through the museum and the Society’s quarterly publication, I aim to educate ponies about how it’s really like to serve in the REA throughout dozens of generations.[/colour]

Now getting into his life narrative, Dr. Tale continued speaking. [colour=#ff6666]“As for my youth, I’d say that I had a good foalhood. I was born, raised, and went to elementary school right here in Canterlot. My father was a service-pony and my mother stayed at home, raising me. One day, my dad got crippled luring a wayward monster back into the Everfree Forest. I wanted to tell my classmates all about that exciting tale, and when I did,”[/colour] Spin Tale chuckled; [colour=#ff6666]“Well, I found I really enjoyed telling stories, and that’s how I got my cutie mark you see here.”[/colour] The stallion pointed to his cutie mark, a book with an image of a sword on the cover, for emphasis.

Heart listened intently about Dr. Spin Tale's life. It sounded and felt rather happy, not having any traumatic points that she could frequently associate with a problem. Yet there were two things she needed to delve into further that could be a source of issue.

[colour=#800080]"Well i can see that you really love to tell stories then. What i have a question about relates to two things. First how did you feel when your father was injured? Also are you satisfied working as a curator for the museum?"[/colour]

30jk84h.jpg

[colour=#ff6666]“How I felt when my father was injured?”[/colour] Spin Tale wasn’t quite expecting that question; his own distant past was something he never really looked back on these days, especially when he had more contemporary problems to deal with. [colour=#ff6666]“Well uhh…. I was shocked when I found out the news, as any son would be. Over time though, he became adjusted to his paralysis, and so did mum and I, and life went on normally, more or less.”[/colour]

Heart Healer’s second question was expected, however. It was part of the reason he received the recommendation to come to the clinic afterall. Of course, it wasn’t the curator job itself that Spin hated (even though he still wished above all that he had a professor position instead)… far from it. With a sigh, Dr. Tale continued; [colour=#ff6666]“I enjoy doing what I do very much, don’t get me wrong. It’s just that well… being a curator is more than simply giving tours to visitors, answering their questions, and setting up exhibits. There’re loads of bills to pay too, you know… and sometimes I find myself stressing out over it all.”[/colour]

Even with the tragedy of his father, it was clear that Dr. Spin Tale's foalhood was a relatively happy one. Typically emotional trauma happened in the past, having it fester throughout the years as the foal became an adult. The problem, the reason why he was here, was due to something recent. Recent events were typically easy to discover and resolve, however they sometimes could be as traumatic as the prior events since they were fresh in the pony's mind.

[colour=#800080]"Why do you think you feel stressed about your job? I know you mentioned the money, but is it something else like time, recognition, or aspirations for something else?"[/colour]

30jk84h.jpg

After a brief pause to reflect, Spin Tale answered Heart Healer’s question. [colour=#ff6666]“To be rather honest….. being the museum curator for the society wasn’t exactly what I planned to do after I graduated. See, when I first got my Ph.D, I really hoped I would find an assistant professorship at a university’s history department somewhere. However, there just isn’t really any demand for new history professors these days.”[/colour] After loudly exhaling, Dr. Tale continued; [colour=#ff6666]“I still inquire about open positions here and there, but so far, I just haven’t had any luck.”[/colour]

Heart thought about what Dr. Spin Tale said about his current job. While he wasn't upset with his job, it left him clearly with much to be desired. Heart understoond that this could cause stress on one's life as they look at what they could have abnd what they had now.

[colour=#800080]"I believe I know where the source of your stress is. You are still looking forward to what you could be doing but are now in a job that while it uses yor skills isn't your ideal. So you want more but need to settle for less. Am I correct in assuming that this is true for you?"[/colour]