(Canterlot) Mending Hearts (Ended)

Lux

If there was one thing that Heart Healer knew from her psychological skills and her empath ability, it was the effect a certain event could impact a pony's life. Even tough the event with the robbers may seen trivial in a pony's life, the fact that Telki could not control her magic led to a domino effect for the rest of her life. What she needed was to trust her ability, and Heart knew exactly how.

[colour=#800080]"It sounds and feels like that one event caused you to have a breakdown, causing you to question everything you thought you knew about your ability to perform magic, am I correct? I can tell you first of all that no pony is perfect. Now I want to try something."[/colour]

The mare then went to a shelf in the room and produced three different coloured balls. She then set them down on the floor next to her.

[colour=#800080]"Ok Telki. I want you to practice your telekinesis ability with these balls. I am going to standing here and you are going to revolve the three balls around me like a ring. So please give it a try."[/colour]

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"[colour=#ff8c00]Well it wasn't a breakdown if you mean me losing control of my magic. I knew exactly what I was doing and why i was doing it[/colour]." Telki was a bit puzzled with the way the conversation was going. Telki left the remainder of her thoughts unsaid, instead deciding that acceding to what Heart Healer asked for might perhaps reveal something new to her.

With eyes fixated on the 3 balls, she focused on them; without warning 3 beams shot out of her horn, each grabbing a ball. The balls were then lifted to Heart Healer's chest level, spread out equidistant from each other, then made to revolve around her, suspended in midair by beams the converged over Heart Healer's head. It was as if she was standing in the middle of some giant foal's mobile made of bright red energy.

"[colour=#ff8c00]Is this good enough?[/colour]" she replied somewhat cheekily, and the balls started to move slowly up and down while in revolution, as if slowly nodding

Heart Healer was please to see that Telki was able to levitate the three balls independently and move them.

[colour=#800080]"Ah very good. You are able to focus on them when they are moving around a stationary target. As for the cause of your breakdown, it is not that you used your magic but the guilt of using it on others. Now let's try you doing the same thing but this time I'll be moving around." [/colour]

A nigging feeling that all this was part of some grand test was beginning to well up in Telki's mind, but yet she had no idea what the ultimate outcome would be, but still a test is a test and any attempts to tweak the results would probably not be a good idea in the long term.

"[colour=#FF8C00]Well ready when you are[/colour]" she said cheerfully, all the while shifting her stance subtlety to give her more stability

Heart Healer began to casually walk about the room making sure that she stayed in eye contact with Telki. Occasionally she would change directions to make things interesting but also as just her normal walk.

[colour=#800080]"So Telki, from what I gather you ended up ising your ability on some robbers but now you are worried that you will hurt another pony, it that correct? Can you think of any other time that your magic has caused harm to others?"[/colour]

"[colour=#FF8C00]Well....now that you mention it I don't really remember any of those ponies complaining that I hurt them, and I do try to be gentle. To me its like wrapping them with something so they cant move, and i do try to avoid their noses; still not sure if they can breathe through the magic energy yet.[/colour]"

Through all this, Telki tried to keep her eyes fixated firmly above Heart Healer. Trying to match the mare's movements, and keeping all 3 balls suspended (she had by now stopped making them move up and down and they were also orbiting slower), all the while thinking up responses was dividing her attention; and she knew a momentary loss of concentration would send the balls tumbling back to the ground.

• 2 weeks later...

Being a psychologist, Heart Healer knew how one event could haunt a pony for the rest of their life. Being that Telki after that incident with the robbers didn't harm any other pony meant that it wasn't an issue of control but that event.

[colour=#800080]"So you only had that one event that made you afraid that you would hurt another pony and that you were actually using a restraining measure in the future. It appears that you are making a conscientious effort to not harm ponies again which is very admirable. When using your magic do you always think of that event or just periodically?" [/colour]

Before Telki could respond, a sudden thud was heard as a book fell from the shelf behind Telki. Heart Healer Healer had when speaking to the unicorn been inching the book off the shelf so subtlety so that it was undetected until it fell. This was to test the element of surprise on the pony's concentration.

Telki's mind had already settled into some kind of rhythm, the balls orbit smoothened out but she still had to pay close attention to Heart Healer's movements, if nothing else but to keep the balls floating in orbit instead of periodically bumping off Heart Healer like a clunky belt.

"[colour=#FF8C00]Well I do-[/colour]" she had started to respond, before the thump made her snap her head back, breaking her concentration and causing the magical energies to retreat back to her horn; leaving the balls suspended in mid air.

By the time she remembered what she was supposed to be doing, Mistress Gravity had already taken firm control of the balls and perhaps fortunately, Telki reasserted herself in time to prevent them from hitting the floor.

She would have tried to continue, but somehow she just knew that it was not the words she said that would be important here, but what the outcome of that little test was.

Just as she suspected Telki lost concentration as the book dropped. It was however not a complete loss as the unicorn was able to keep the balld from hitting the ground. The pony however felt dejected that she failed to keep the orbs orbiting.

[colour=#800080]"You performed wonderfully Telki. I apologize for the last part as that was meant to test whether you were able to maintain control, and I must say you did. Most ponies end up dropping the balls when they hear a distracting noise, some even letting them spin out of control causing them to fly about the room. You on the other hoof were able to keep them aloft, so should not feel saddened by the fact that you did not keep them in orbit when you heard the book fall. From what I can see you exhibit a great amount of control with such a complex magic and [/colour][colour=#800080]aside from your one time that you used your magic on others you have not done so after that. [/colour][colour=#800080]Therefore it is my opinion that I don't think you will harm a pony intentionally. Now accidents do happen, but for those times you must simply see them for what they are: accidents. Do you feel better now that you know that you are no longer harming other ponies?" [/colour]

"Well...now that you've put it that way..." Telki beamed, realizing that no matter how skilled you are, mistakes do happen. "[colour=#FF8C00]I guess you are right after all; I shouldn't worry about it, after all I am pretty good[/colour]"

She levitated the balls above Heart Healer's head, made them spin harder till they were seemingly a multicoloured ring, then set them down on the table in a neat triangle with a flourish.

"[colour=#FF8C00]Thank you Heart Healer, you really do live up to your name. i feel so much better about myself.[/colour]" she beamed. "[colour=#FF8C00]Don't worry I won't stop practicing, its how I earn my bits after all[/colour]"

(alright I think we can bring this to a close, if flameddrago or somebody else dosn't stop by after a while I can always retcon the ending)

(Sure thanks for the fun!)

Heart Healer was happy to see that Telki was accepting of her advice and that she was able to break through that one bad moment. To prove this she showed off her technique which made Heart smile.

[colour=#800080]"You're welcome Telki. I'm glad you feel better about your talent and yourself. And yes, my door is always open in case you need to speak to me again. [/colour]

As she bid the unicorn farewell, the psychologist prepared for her next pony to see.

Telki bid farewell to Heart Healer and stepped out into the bright lights and bustling streets of Canterlot, her hope and optimism in life refilled and she was brimming with optimism once again.

Cheerfully skipping down the streets, she stopped to ponder, momentarily, where to go and what to do next before giving it up in favour of just going wherever her feet led her. Normally she would just wander around taking in the sights, but from today she had a purpose, a goal to bring out the very best in her already formidable magical powers.

The future never looked so promising

• 1 month later...

(OOC: This thread is now closed. Fear not, there will be another one similar to this soon. I'm giving this character an overhaul. Thanks to all who participated so far.)