Harrington Sleuth [Final]

Roleplay Type: World of Equestria

Name: Harrington Sleuth

Sex: Male

Species: Pegasus

Coat Color: Red

Mane/Tail/Markings Color & Style: Brown mane and tail with thin black stripes running vertically; the mane is styled in a bit of a mullet and his tail is long and straight.

Eye Color: Dark yellow

Cutie Mark: A magnifying glass focusing on a hoofprint; got it in school after solving a petty theft

Physique: Tall and average build, wingspan slightly longer than average

Origin: Baltimare; currently travels around Greater Equestria

Motivation: Harrington one day hopes to be an official investigator, preferably with the Royal Authority in Canterlot. For now, he travels Greater Equestria to aid anypony who may need his services, and he figures there's always somepony who does. No matter what the case, he wants to see it through to its solution. Even when it doesn't seem the solution is in sight, there's always something to turn it around.

Likes: Mysteries, mental challenges (a nice game of chess now and then especially), meeting new ponies and learning their stories, the latest discoveries in Equestria

Dislikes: Crooks (especially when a crook frames another pony), ne'er-do-wells, false accusations, willful ignorance

Character Summary:

Harrington was born and raised in Baltimare and only recently has started off on his own in his travelling caravan. His mother is a detective in Baltimare and his father a mailpony for Baltimare's post office. From the time he was a foal, they noticed he had a natural curiosity about everything he didn't understand. This carried over into his school, where some of his classmates started calling him "Nosy Harry" because he wanted to know more than they wanted to tell him to the point where he would try to find out himself. He was reprimanded frequently for eavesdropping in on teacher conferences, which taught him to choose his methods carefully.

He got his cutie mark from an incident that occurred in his school. One day, most of the class noticed their lunch money was gone from their saddlebags. Harrington took it upon himself to figure out the culprit and, despite objections to "Nosy Harry" looking into the matter, he did so with gusto. After two days of tireless search in his spare time, he finally went before the class and announced his findings--the thief was the local barber's son, Six Bits. At first, everypony was confused, and some objected. Six Bits definitely had a reputation in the school.

He went on to produce evidence of his misdeeds: a few hairs that didn't match anypony's mane that could have done it, not even Six Bits. However, as part of that tireless search, he overheard somepony on the street talking about his nice new manecut. He went to the barber shop and was able to convince the owner to let him see who all had been to the shop recently. Combining the ponies that dropped in with the traces of evidence, likely planted, with the profile of the thief led him to his accusation. As convincing a defense Six Bits had for the rest of his classmates, he didn't quite convince his accuser. The straw that broke the pony's back was when he was asked to open his saddlebag. Seconds later, he broke down and confessed. Harrington's cutie mark appeared a few minutes after Six Bits was forced to return the stolen money to his victims.

Before he moved out of his parents' home, he took up several odd jobs, some of which needed his skills, in order to buy his own traveling caravan. He stores the essentials needed to survive as well as his tools of investigation, which have broadened to become as advanced as available to the public. He has yet to find the one place to call a permanent home, so for now, he travels about Greater Equestria, working when needed and relaxing and enjoying whatever town he's in when he can.

He is easily frustrated when he can't figure out something he feels he needs to know. In this state, he could resort to several tactics, some of which might even be outright immoral, but he draws the line at illegal. That doesn't mean he can't bend the rules within the bounds of the law. In one relationship in his later school days, he dated a filly for a short while, but she broke up with him because, as she put it, she felt like he was cross-examining her to find out something that wasn't there. This experience taught him that not everypony is hiding something from him.

Another experience that landed him into a bit of legal trouble was during a pass through Canterlot after he left Baltimare. He wanted to see what might be in store for him should he ever gain the privilege of residence in the kingdom's capital. During this passage through, the Canterlot guard was investigating a break-in at the Palace, and despite his conscious's resistance, he just had to look. He tried sneaking past the guard line to check out the scene himself, but a minute after his seemingly successful attempt, two guards shouted at him, realizing he was unauthorized, and he was only able to flee for all of five seconds before another pair of guards stopped him. He was taken in for interrogation, questioned and, afterward, let go after he paid several bits as a fine for the minor intrusion and since it was his first offense. He has avoided Canterlot since and only sees Royal Guards when any member of the Royal Family visits whichever town he happens to be in.

When he gets to know a pony, he tries to get to KNOW them. Anything and everything. He's naturally curious about everypony and, as demonstrated in his foalhood, can come off as intrusive. He hardly passes up a chance at a conversation and never declines a chance to solve a problem. He also has several hats in his caravan that he changes day-to-day and range from professional to whimsical.

As he did in his first investigation, when Harrington looks into a matter, he tries to gather all information from relevant ponies first, then look for physical evidence. He often prefers to use "good guard, bad guard" interrogation techniques. If he can't get any physical evidence, his "bad guard" side becomes especially pushy in questioning. Once he feels he has a solid case, which could take days, he confronts his suspect and gives it straight up--you are the culprit and here's how I know. He usually doesn't have to think too hard to refute any defense his suspect puts up, but in the event he does, he immediately goes back (if possible and not terribly inconvenient) and finds either something else decisive or something that gives decisive meaning to what he has.

This is a very solid application. I especially like that you added that part at the end, showing how his natural tendencies can put a strain on his relationships with other ponies.

One of the things I would be interested in is hearing how his relationship to the Equestrian Royal Guard is, mostly because I'd imagine that someone like him would get into trouble with them at some point in his life.

Also, his characterization is a little on the light side. I get that he's very driven and curious, but how does he go about conducting his investigations? Is he more trying to ease information out of his suspects with charm and wit, or maybe he's more the type who tries to break his suspects by confronting them with his theories until they have no choice but spill?

I think if you could flesh that aspect out a little, it would make for a more complete OC. I hope you him get approved, I love private investigator types. :)

Two minor things I'd consider changing:

Maybe extend "Celestia" to "members of the Canterlot royal family", otherwise you might run into a problem since it might be considered a previous relation to a cast character, which is forbidden by the rules.

The other thing is that "cops" don't really exist in Equestria, from what we saw. I think guards are filling that function for all intends and purposes.

It's a question of context. Of course everyone would know what you mean if you said "cop", but it doesn't make sense in context with the show. I just think it makes for a more consistent image that way, but I'll readily admit that that's more personal preference then anything else. XD

Good luck. :)