Want to App an Extended-Canon Species? (Last Ruling Update - 6/8)

Bellosh

As most of you know, we now permit players to write character applications for extended-canon species: those that either don't appear in MLP or are otherwise not listed in our species list. However, there are considerable limits on which extended species we'll allow into World of Equestria to ensure we don't get an influx of overpowered or special-snowflake characters. So when making your pitches, here are some ground rules to keep in mind:

1. Before making any sort of pitch, please check the Playable Species List to see what species we already permit or don't permit.
  2. Also check the Provisional Rulings down below to see what's been already suggested.
  3. It's preferred that you make a pitch only if you plan on actually apping that species in WoE.
  4. If your pitched species has traits that an ungulate would potentially have, it's more likely that RPH will approve it.
  5. We welcome species with a basis in real-world mythology, but RPH will be wary of OP traits like long lifespans or possessing other beings. Depending on their historically recognized attributes, mythological species may be allowed to utilize a magical ability present in an official WoE species.
  6. Please do not pitch species that are either fan-made or belong to an intellectual property not connected with MLP.
  7. The best species concepts are those understandable by players without RPH having to write Lore to establish gameplay boundaries. If your concept requires RPH to spend time figuring out how it can fit into WoE, it's already failed.

With the above pointers in mind, don't feel shy asking about an extended-canon species that you have a genuine craving to app. :)

-------------

RPH Provisional Rulings On Extended-Canon Species (Last Updated: 6/8)

Spoiler

Cultures in General: Character applications are not allowed to describe a culture that extends beyond a character's local community. If you really want to introduce a regional culture for WoE that is not described by WoE Lore, it will have to be done with the approval and OOC collaboration of your fellow roleplayers. Everyone has the right to reject or ignore any WoE culture-building not based off the TV show or our official site Lore.

• Abada: Yes - use this app as a basic reference. Abada magic is subtler compared to unicorns. Horns shouldn't be broken off for medicinal purposes.
  • Alpacas: Yes
  • BjornNo
  • Breezies: Yes
  • Bushwoolies: No
  • Centaurs: Yes
  • Draconies/DroniesNo
  • Fire Ponies: No
  • Flutterponies: See Breezies
  • GremlinsNo
  • HarpiesNo
  • Llamas: Yes
  • Moth PoniesNo
  • Nimbats: No
  • Orks: No
  • RaptoriansNo
  • Sphinxes: Yes 
  • Twinkle-eyed PoniesNo
  • "Wereponies"Yes - maybe call them "horsewolves" to maintain etymological correctness.

Uhhhhh, nimbats? Sadly Rose, I don't think we can let species into WoE if they were designed for commercially-owned IPs other than MLP. :ftired:

Edited by Bellosh101

Could we let  species such as sea ponies or Hippocamps back in? There were sea ponies in the comics and we allow comic characters

Seaponies/hippocampi are already in our WoE Lore. :D

What about MLP gen 1 stuff? Bushwoolies, Flutterponies, etc.?

I assume that Breezies are the G4 upgrade of the Flutterpony concept. As for Bushwoolies, the only thing I seem to be able to find on them are that they're "incapable of independent thought; thinking, speaking and acting as a group." To me, that doesn't bode well for the RP viability of a playable species.

Edited by Bellosh101

Seaponies/hippocampi are already in our WoE Lore. :D

I assume that Breezies are the G4 upgrade of the Flutterpony concept. As for Bushwoolies, the only thing I seem to be able to find on them are that they're "incapable of independent thought; thinking, speaking and acting as a group." To me, that doesn't bode well for the RP viability of a playable species.

They are also reallly annoying XD

Fair enough, and agreed on the Breezies being their spiritual successors. Hopefully we get another episode with them.

Hmm. So, Greek Myth has had a pretty heavy overall influence on things, with a lot of creatures coming out of that particular mythos.
Sirens in the movies were made to have an equine appearance.

What about a sphinx? Cat faced to avoid having humans involved? Possibly with some kind of Egyptian society attached, tend to be obsessive about some passion or other and like to make gambles, dares, and bets?

The only other thing that might jump to mind is a Fire Pony, something similar in appearance to a D&D Nightmare, sort of completing the elemental pony schema, possibly living in a lush volcanic valley lost to time, discovered again by modern ponies or forced to leave due to some great disaster. Abilities would obviously involve fire in one way or another, with a likely immunity.

What about a sphinx? Cat faced to avoid having humans involved? Possibly with some kind of Egyptian society attached, tend to be obsessive about some passion or other and like to make gambles, dares, and bets?

The only other thing that might jump to mind is a Fire Pony, something similar in appearance to a D&D Nightmare, sort of completing the elemental pony schema, possibly living in a lush volcanic valley lost to time, discovered again by modern ponies or forced to leave due to some great disaster. Abilities would obviously involve fire in one way or another, with a likely immunity.

It's funny that you mention Egyptian societies; one of our unique WoE locations is modeled after the ruins of ancient Egypt. I think it'd be sensible to give a cat face to any sphinxes in WoE and have them come from the Saddle Arabian continent, but other than basic physical description, you'll have to avoid assigning attributes to the entire species. Without official lore backing up, RPH is powerless to enforce anyone's cultural vision for an extended-canon species as the WoE-wide reality.

I'm going to have to shoot down the Fire Pony idea. The major MLP pony types were not made with an elemental schema in mind, and to the best of my knowledge, a Fire Pony has no basis in real-world mythology or even past MLP generations. To prevent players from creating OP species, we can't allow species that are made from scratch.

Edited by Bellosh101

Thing is, mythology-based MLP creatures have human features removed as part of the setting. Actual centaurs for example have human heads, but MLP centaurs don't. To fit in a MLP-style setting, a sphinx in World of Equestria would have to undergo a similar redesign.

Edited by Bellosh101

To echo Honeywing, what about Kirin (or Qilin)? They're pony-like in shape and structure, and I think they would fit pretty easily into WoE.

Edit: Also, wouldn't it make more sense for Sphinxes to have a pony head or something? MLP Centaurs don't have human torsos, but neither do they have a horse torso to effectively make them look just like a horse. Seems like it would make more sense for the hybrid-type species to still be hybrids, but just not part human.

Logo%20Lucius%20Orks%20forge.png

I fink we needz sum Orkz!

Ya can' 'ave no propa WAAAGH wifout Orkz, innit! 

Listen 'ere ya gitz, dis 'ere'z a right sorry sight it iz! Deez poniez got no dakka! Not 1! You 'umies don' know nuffin 'bout 'ow ta go makin' frendz!

A buncha squigz, you lot iz! Fixin' fer a right gud stompin'! Youz iz all soft!

Needz Orkz! Nuff sed!

WAAAAGH!

By Gork dat'z sum gud suggestin' tha' iz! Wif summor o' dat, I'll be warboss in no time!

*inhales and resists urge to go fanboy mode* Ahem, hello~ Okay, so, a good long while ago, back when Mane was still our beloved overlord...overlady? Overpony! I had made a small pitch on the Abada. Which I then took to talk with Dio about, and he took my little snippets of ideas and started working them into something amazing See Here.

Now understandably, Dio got busy (marriage, adminy things, moonlighting as a Bond villain) and it's not entirely finished. But I think the general idea is something that could easily work. I do know that Abada were mentioned very passingly in a couple of threads on site already as 'mythical' or 'legendary'. Which discouraged me for a short bit, but gave me a thought. In one section of the Abada's Culture section, it mentions that a griffons used to poach them for their horns (as they can be used medicinally, also explained some in the document). So it got me thinking that, perhaps that why they're thought to be a legend, is because that's what they wanted everyone else to think. Perhaps they went into hiding to live in peace for so long! And now that things are calming down, they're coming back to society c:

((Or I can be beaten to it apparently! Which is totally fine, but I'll leave my fanboying here anyway~))

Logo%20Lucius%20Orks%20forge.png

I fink we needz sum Orkz!

Ya can' 'ave no propa WAAAGH wifout Orkz, innit! 

Listen 'ere ya gitz, dis 'ere'z a right sorry sight it iz! Deez poniez got no dakka! Not 1! You 'umies don' know nuffin 'bout 'ow ta go makin' frendz!

A buncha squigz, you lot iz! Fixin' fer a right gud stompin'! Youz iz all soft!

Needz Orkz! Nuff sed!

WAAAAGH!

By Gork dat'z sum gud suggestin' tha' iz! Wif summor o' dat, I'll be warboss in no time!

...Boarkz? Hogz? Choppa instead of dakka?

• Like 1

Ya silly git, deyz gotz pleny o' choppa! Dey jus ain' go no way o usin' it proppa!

Oi, dat rhymez!

Anywat, poneez ain' no gud fer da up-close fightin'. Buncha tricksey bitters done beat 'em dey 'as! Or dey did, once.

Den dey gotz summa dem weirdboyz er summin ta blast em away. WUTEVA!

Datz 'ow I'z herd it. But iffin I knowz dem bugz, wen ya fink ya deaded em all, deyz come bak. 

Dakka iz magic!

Dakka iz WAAAAAGH!