Peachy's Portrait event! - (Sign up is now closed)

CaptainMcDerp

peachyredrawapp_zps0pjqildc.png

Spoiler

"Alright and... done!"

Peachy backed up to admire his work. A portrait stand sat by the counter in his art store. It was a simple wooden table with a lovely shine that reflected almost as well as a mirror. It reflected so well in fact, that Peachy realized a hair strand was sticking straight up into the air from under his hat. It seemed he neglected to groom his mane this mourning. No matter. Nothing a quick little smoothing over can't fix. After correcting his messy mane, he squinted at the simple paper sign sitting on the table that read, "Peachy's portraits," with the appropriate price underneath. It was just a little bit crooked so he gave it a gentle nudge with his hoof before deciding all was in order. The sign up sheet sat right in the middle, and behind the stand were all the painting supplies he needed. A canvas, a selection of top quality paints, and an old paint covered blanket underneath to protect the carpet from stains. This was more for fun and promotion than anything else. Peachy certainly didn't need the extra money, so all the proceeds were going directly his favorite charities.

"And done."

He sighed. Though it was less out of relief and more out of annoyance. It seemed his perfectionism was getting out of hoof again. Despite his awareness of the issue though, he still couldn't help but glance at the rest of the store to make sure every little thing was ideal. For an art shop, it was rather vast. Shelf after shelf sat in parallel rows upon a luxurious red carpet. Art supplies were delicately sorted in a vibrant rainbow of colors while high quality books, canvases, and anything else an artistic pony could want was readily available and visible upon walking through the royal blue, gold trimmed double doors. On the walls were his biggest pride. What made his beloved store so unique. Hundreds of beautiful paintings hung from the wall with the artist's name and price. In his store, up and coming artists were free to set their work up for sale, and the result added much more variety and engagement with the community.

And of course, in preparation for those who will be waiting to get their portraits painted, chairs and tables were placed by the massive arching window to the left of the doors. It provided a splendid view of the street outside and let in lots of sunshine, which contributed light for anyone interested in playing one of the assorted games on the tables. Magazines were also placed on the tables as well. And if neither of those were appealing, there was a large bowl of assorted baked goods sitting out on each table. He didn't make them himself of course. instead he purchased them from one of the best bakeries money could buy.

He walked outside and his horn glowed green as he levitated the sign outside from "closed" to "open." The exterior was quite a sight, as was all of Canterlot's exquisite architecture. Above the doors was a concave blue striped awning flanked by elegantly swirled rails on each side. "Keen's Art Store" was written in elegant poem script calligraphy overhead. The building itself was a traditional grey brick while the roof ended on a royal blue gold trimmed dome. Above the main structure was the tallest point. A tower with a checkered turret that ended on a sharp point, and a balcony circling underneath. Peachy sort of felt like the checkers clashed with the stripes, and planed on refurbishing it pretty soon.

The windows were his personal favorites, with elegant rails sprouting out from the building and cradling the sills of the huge arched windows like vines. Around the tower were octagon windows. They lacked the rails but were still fabulous in his book. Peachy always loved a generous amount of windows. It gave an open and airy feel to his shop as well as the upstairs living area.

With a hearty sigh, Peachy walked inside of his store and returned to his stand. He didn't realize how tiring all that was until he sat down. Running the store all by himself had always been pretty taxing, but it was starting to get exhausting as he's had less energy lately. At least the customers will come in soon and enliven him. Something about being in the company of others was greatly motivating. He trotted over to the counter and pulled out the drawer to retrieve his red quill pen. The first thing he noticed was his old "Now hiring" sign. He gaze at it for a moment with a slight raise of his brow. He never actually displayed that thing. He wasn't sure why but every time he set it up, he would just take it down before anyone saw it. Peachy was starting to feel like an assistant would be very helpful though. There was just something... intimidating about it. It was a frustrating and confusing thing to place for somepony who thrived so well socially. Either way he gave a sharp, dismissive snort before levitating the quill out of the drawer and shutting it with a quick kick. After sitting behind the portrait stand, he displayed the first smile of the day in anticipation for his first costumer.

y4vLcjk.png?1

“So have you figured out what you’re going to get mom?”

Two Pegasus ponies slowly made their way through the sleepy section of what could be considered Canterlot’s ‘art district’. The eldest of the ponies, took note of what appeared to be an new dress shop that had opened up since the last time she had been in her former hometown and made a mental note to visit it once she helped her little sister find something suitable as a gift for their mother’s birthday.

“Ugh. Not yet.”, a blue filly let out a dramatic groan, “I can’t get her another book as she’s got a ton of those.”, her eyes bounced around the assorted store fronts, hoping one would give her an idea. “Umbrella store....Statue store. Keen's Art Store...Er...nothing yet.”

The mare stopped in her tracks as an idea popped up in her head. “Windy.”, she addressed her younger sister, “Let’s stop at this art place. Maybe I could see about getting Miss Presteza something here as she was a little down the last time I saw her..And geez, maybe something for Zelda.", her old friend had been recently dumped by her colt-friend and had buried herself in her work. Nothing like a fun little art-gift and a bottle of wine from the 'Whiny-Whiny-Wine Company' to help ease the pain.

"Fine whatever.", the little blue pony known as Wind Walker groaned once more. "Maybe I'll think of something while we wait."

The pair entered the charming little building and started to check out the assorted goods. One thing caught the filly's eyes.

"Peachy's portraits", she read out-loud. "Hey Fire, maybe I should get this artist fella to draw a picture of me for mom? What do you think? The money goes to charity!", she bounced a little as she shouted over a tall display case. 

The mare made her way towards her sister, "That sounds like a good idea. Just make sure your hair isn't so messy.", she trotted over to her sibling to make sure she was neat, "And this has to be serious. No goofy expressions.". Once the little pony was passable for an Peachy Portrait, the red mare pulled out the right amount of bits and hoofed it over to her sister. "I'll be checking out a few things, so please behave yourself and act like a little lady."

Once her older sister was out of the picture and the right bits were secure, Wind Walker made her way over to the artist and placed her bits on the table.

"One portrait please.", she asked ever so innocently.

He never knew what to expect when the doors first opened, and that was one of the most wonderful parts about this business. A little blue pegasus filly would be his first costumer of the day. She didn't seem to give a single glance to anything around her her and headed straight for the portrait counter.

"One portrait please."

He couldn't stop smiling even if he wanted to. This little pony was just absolutely darling! He levitated the bits and placed them in his pocket. "Of course, sweetie! And since you're my first costumer, we can get started right away." He motioned to the chair that sat just behind the canvas. "Have a seat and I'll get to work."

As he took his place on the stool in front of the canvas and began to assort all the proper paints together in preparation. He was trying his best not to gush over how adorable she was. He imagined that would be pretty frustrating, if not demeaning. However, before Peachy could think of a proper conversation topic, he realized he hasn't even gotten her name yet.

"Oh my, It seems I neglected to add your name to the signup sheet. I do apologize. It appears my thoughts are still rather disarranged this mourning." He levitated the quill over to the sheet before glancing at her with a wide smile. "So what is your name, darling?"

The little filly bobbled her head up and down and quickly made her way to the chair, nearly knocking it over in the process. Once she found her seat, the small pony spoke up, “It’s Wind Walker!”, she stated rather dramatically, “My mother’s birthday is coming up, so I thought it would be fun to get a picture of me done* for her. Not sure what sort of pose I should do. Maybe something cute?”

The little filly stood up on her chair and struck a pose...

y4vLcjk.png?1

“Windy!”, the red mare’s voice could be heard from somewhere in the store. “Remember. Don’t stick your tongue out. This is for mom.”

“Oh right!”. She shifted into a more dramatic, –action- pose with her wings flared out. “Something like this?”, she returned to a sitting position and sighed, “Not sure what to do...And hey!”, she glanced at the unicorn with an inquisitive look on her filly face, “Didn’t you do pictures at the Donut guy’s shop? I’m pretty sure my, er, our friends Dunder and Presteza got to have their pictures painted by you...At least I know Dunder did as he's very proud of his picture...But Presteza said she got to see a Beachy Bean paint pictures at the place where they make donuts. Which is kind of weird."

"But in a fun weird way.", she corrected herself as not to appear rude.

Spoiler

OOC: Crappy grammar on purpose, as kids tend to stumble a bit with their wording when they’re excited.

MRxf2Yw.png

He had sonnets and ballads. He had epics and odysseys. He had novels and books.

...All in the works, of course, but he still had them.

But no portraits!

It was a glaring oversight, Dawnguard had realized when the thought had first occurred to him a few months ago. When the history books recorded his valiant efforts to save Equestria - during a momentous and Righteous Inducing battle that would undoubtedly end with his timely intervention at the very last second to reverse the tide and ultimately sacrifice his life in one final, gallant attack that forever freed the country from oppressive Roiling Darkness - they would need an image to go along with the awe-inspiring words...a knight in shining armor, glowing golden like the sun itself as he fell, defeated yet victorious in his ultimate sacrifice.

...And with a flowing cape. Maybe a deep, royal purple.     

And indeed, it was this glaring oversight that had sat with him for months, before an off-duty day had finally arrived, prompting the white Pegasus to hit the streets of Canterlot in search of...he wasn't entirely sure. Dawnguard supposed he could simply find a photo shop to take some pictures...but that was so unmajestic! A hoof drawn portrait would be so much better, so much more...righteous. All the great heroes had painted portraits after all, it was a sign of their greatness! To be forever beholden in art rather than a simple snap of the shutter.

Which is exactly when he passed by a store, and immediately fluttered backwards to read the sign more closely.

"Keen's Art Store?" Dawnguard questioned no one, head tilting slightly as he studied the hanging sign. Hmm...perhaps an art store might have an artist working at the counter? He had been wandering around Canterlot for almost an hour now, accosting random citizens for information on the various shops in the area, but never before had he noticed this shop. It was at times like these that Dawnguard wished his dear cousin Earth Writer lived in the city. The Unicorn was a stallion of the arts - he would have undoubtedly been able to point Dawnguard to at least four different artists in the same time he was potentially finding one. 

...Even if his cousin had difficult recognizing the Avenging bloodline of heroes coursing through his veins. 

Still, Earth Writer was not here, and this was as good a lead as any. "Be still, spear hoof," Dawnguard commanded in a low tone, curling the hoof in front of his face as he faced down the entranceway, "for not all quests need end in bloodshed and tears!...just, most of them." Especially if the artist he eventually found turned out to be a dastardly Changling of Evil in disguise...or, or, a secret WRAITH spy who had mysterious mind controlling powers, who decimated every last force in the REA except himself, leaving him the sole defender of a defenseless Princess.

Yes...yes, that sounded like another exciting chapter to add to his autobiography. 

Of course, the immediate thing Dawnguard noticed upon entering was the myriad of paintings strung up on almost every wall imaginable. Even more than that was the plethora of different styles, as if each painting had been done by a different artist and displayed all together. It gave the shop a unique look of Steaming Hot Artistic Justice, though it would make things a bit difficult in discerning which artist to track down to attempt and ask for a portrait. The shop was also very light, windows all around the walls letting in copious amounts of Celestia's Righteous Sunlight, and a table had been set up with several baked goodies to - presumably - consume.

In fact, there was so much in the shop that it took Dawnguard a while to focus on the most important facet. That quickly changed as he noticed the easel and painter tools and posing filly and pink pony and power rising and can't, control!

"My quest is completed!" Dawnguard cried, wings spreading out to give him a quick boost towards the painter. Yes, yes, there was no mistaking it - the pink pony was most assuredly set up to draw the blue filly, who was set upon a stool in preparation for a portrait. "Most noble of Artistic Patrons," the white Pegasus intoned, wings flared as he thrust Daybreaker towards the pink stallion, sure to arrest his attention, "I require a majestic portrait of myself, to inspire all future generations of my righteous deeds, and to forever capture the visage of a Chosen Hero of Light as I forever fight for Avenging Righteousness and Justice!" He'd chosen the perfect patch of sunlight, and his spear caught and reflected some of it back down to his armor as he thrust Daybreaker upwards, a furious pause in words as he posed and shone and glittered under the searing rays of Light. 

"...I was also thinking of wearing a cape," Dawnguard added after a moment, breaking pose to rest his spear against his shoulder and discuss options with the two ponies. "Maybe...maybe like a deep, royal purple." 

wq4uXWhl.jpg

It was a very calm day in the art district of canterlot, birds were chirping and flowers were blooming. Not much could really be considered out fo place in this serene scenery save for a statuesque equine calmly walking down the street. Basira always had a good time in this lovely land. It was going to be a shame eventually though as this may be her last visit for a while, considering her recent change in position back in Saddle Arabia she may wind up having to ask her children to come visit her instead. When all the arrangements were in place, leaving the country for the next ten years will likely be a time that she'd have to cherish more and more with the trips' decreased frequency. 

The horse had forgone most of the traditional garb certain delegates of her land had wore the last time they had appeared in this country. Instead she was in her natural state with only a pair of earings on her. It was probably best to be thought of as just another foreign tourist in the area, it wasn't like anypony would believe her if she told them what her upcoming job was. 

The soft cliping and clopping of her hooves and shoes on the cobblestone-ish paths that adorned Canterlot became was hard the only sound she was treated with as she strolled into the art district. This place always had a liveliness to it that only those with a spark of creativity could tend to insight. Seeing on how this would be the last trip to equestria she had made in a while, Basira thought that maybe a self portrait by someone in this place would be the perfect keepsake. Her eyes's feel a neat looking and classy little shop that seemed like the perfect choice. Through the window she spotted four ponies. One held an aura of sophistication and a charming panache, the pony he had been painting was a small blue filly who was being watched by a red coated pegasus. The kind of look an older sibling gives there younger one when they're watching them like a hawk.  The last one was an excited looking stallion with a youthful vigor and charm.

The mare gave a slight shrug to noone and walked towards the door, ducking a bit so as not to hit her head on the frame. "Ouch.." She hissed to herself, failing. Seeing as she could tell that her turn would have to come later she elected to say hello to the fiery red pegasus when things with her (presumed) sibling were calming down. "Good afternoon, How has the walk of life been treating you today?" 

wk_Z5s8d.png

The streets seemed to be much more lively here than in Manehatten, as Star walked among the other ponies, she though about how her business hadn't been getting many coustomers, and decided it was time to do something nice for herself to relax, yet she didn't know what.

As the dark mare walked throughout the streets, she passed many different shops, but only one caught her eye, "Portraits? Maybe this is what I'm looking for?" Starshine walked in after a tall mare, she was very pretty, and led Star to wonder what she would look like tall. She then browsed through certain art, contemplating what she would be doing in her portrait, something simple seemed fitting enough. As Star made her way around, she eventually found herself before a peach colored unicorn, and it was obvious to her that he was the master behind these portraits. Star sat in awe as he finished up, it was amazing to see the portrait of the filly and how impressive it looked, she was definitely going to tell her friends about the artist.

After seeing the portrait, Star had made up her mind, and decided she would be getting a portrait, even if she had to wait in a ten mile line. She might have to wait for longer than anticipated, as a snow colored stallion was babbling on about what he wanted for his portrait. Though Star couldn't blame him, she could hardly wait for her portrait and was containing her excitement as best as she could.

Star treated the place as if it were a library, and remained quiet. She wasn't sure what to do, she didn't want to bother anypony and wasn't quite comfortable with bothering the artist. Star finally mustered up the courage to talk, and slowly trotted over to the unicorn and Pegasi, "Excuse me, I'm sorry if I happen to be interrupting a conversation, but I would love to say your art is quite lovely. By the way, I'm Starshine, but most call me Star." Well, she couldn't belive it, she had made a fool of herself without even trying. Star had just prounced into a conversation like she owned the place, and she couldn't wrap her head around it. She was anxious as to whether or not anypony would tell her to move out of the conversation.

"Wind Walker." Peachy repeated as he scribbled the words onto the paper. He couldn't help the corners of his mouth from widening upon hearing that the portrait would be a gift for her mother. How sweet! He didn't think he would be assisting someone with a birthday gift first thing but it was a welcomed surprise. When Wind Walker struck a pose, Peachy levitated the brush and dipped it into the proper shade of blue on the palette. Just before he pressed the brush to the canvas, a new voice rang out, correcting Wild Walker's decision to stick out her tongue. He glanced in the direction of the voice to see a red mare. Peachy had to wonder if they were siblings since she referred to Wind Walker's mother as 'mom'

Once the filly struck a new pose, Peachy got back to work. To his surprise, she alluded to the time he was painting portraits as Joe's Donut Shop. Ah yes, Dunder and Presteza. He couldn't forget those two, especially since he and Pressy were old friends. He chuckled upon hearing of Pressy's supposed claim of a 'Beachy Bean,' being present as well.

"I'm fairly sure I painted Presteza. But perhaps this 'Beachy Bean' was another artist who thought it was a good idea to set up there in my absence? I'll have to ask her about that."

Come to think of it, he really should get back in touch with Pressy. They haven't spoken in awhile. He wasn't proud of his tendency to neglect relationships. Hopefully he won't forget his resolve to at least send her a letter. The friends he's made over the years deserve more attention. It's not really fair to them.
His eyes widened when he realized his smile had escaped him. Confound it! He never wanted his gloomier moments to be so evident on his face. Hopefully no one noticed before he corrected himself. He sent a quick glance around the room with his newfound, if not exaggerated, grin. He wasn't usually this quiet either. Oh his poor little client, sitting there without a single conversation topic to pass the time.

"Is that your sister?" He asked, pointing to the crimson mare."I've always wondered what it was like to have siblings. I can never tell if should feel lucky or envious."

A loud 'thud' caught his attention and he noticed a tall mare bump her head on the doorway. He winced at the sight and called out, "oh watch out, dear!" He was fairly sure she wouldn't be able to hear him but he was acting on instinct more than anything else. She seemed alright though, and started greeting Wind Walker's (assumed) sibling. That was nice. It seemed like everyone had someone to talk to. He soon returned to his job of painting the portrait, and just before he applied the final touches to the painting, a resounding and boisterous voice range out through the store.

"My quest is completed!"

Peachy turned just in time to be face-to-face with a spear. He jolted back a little and raised his brows as he looked on at the shimmering blade. Though his eyes remained half lidded, he couldn't help but feel a little nervous by the sudden turn of events. "Quest?" Was all he could muster in a soft, almost inaudible tone.

As he heard the rest of the stallion's words, Peachy's bewilderment was soon mixed with amusement and a smirk graced his features. 'Most noble of Artistic Patrons?' He can't say he's ever been addressed in that manner before. He'd be lying if he said it didn't provide a little boost to his ego. Rather it was warranted or not was another story. The stallion went on to request a portrait to 'inspire all future generations' and 'capture the visage of a Light Hero' and something about 'Avenging Righteousness and Justice!' Peachy's smirk became a cheeky grin at this point. What a character!

As the stallion settled on what kind of cape he should have, Peachy took the moment to add the very last details to Wind Walker's painting before glancing back at the stallion. "Oh yes a deep purple would be quite dashing. However," he cocked his head to the side as he examined his armor. "I'm noticing a certain trend of cyan accents in your equipment. I imagine a cyan cape to be an alluring choice, considering the color scheme?"

Peachy turned the canvas around to show Wind Walker. "And your portrait is done! I hope you find it to your liking, sweetie."

"Excuse me,"

Peachy looked in the direction of the voice to see a pink-haired mare. How did he not notice her earlier? She must have been quiet as a mouse while she approached him. And speaking of a mouse, the poor dear seemed so timid and uncertain as she complemented his art and introduced herself. There was absolutely nothing to be nervous about. He adored feedback from others, especially positive feedback. What was there to be scared of? He had to remedy this situation immediately.

"Thank you, Starshine! I am most flattered. You aren't interrupting anything at all, my dear. Anyone's welcome to talk to me at any time they want to. I promise I don't bite." He ended his sentence with a wink.

Starshine was a lovely name. It rolled right off the tongue and came equipped with a nice nickname as well. He wasn't exactly proud of 'Peachy,' but it was starting to grow on him. A little anyways. Speaking of names, he hadn't gotten the name of the handsome spear wielding guardpony yet. He turned back to him with a rueful grin.

"My apologies, but It seems I've neglected to get your name, dear. What do I call a distinguished stallion such as yourself?"

Slowly, in a manner of dignity peculiar to it's class, Canterlot was beginning to draw a crowd within its city walls.  With the Grand Galloping Gala approaching, many from Equestria and beyond were beginning to converge upon the city, hoping to acquire lodgings before the rush filled all the rooms.  These currents had already drawn in one Sultan from the deserts of the far South; but there were now also visitors from the frozen North...

With every step upon the cobbled stones, Halvard of Clan Breen was feeling less and less sure of their reality.  True, they felt solid enough, but their polished whiteness, and the whole wealth of the city they upheld, was beyond belief for the caribou bull!  As Vakstyra and guardian of Whitescar's roads, he had caught glimpses of the riches of the southern countries, brought to his homeland by raiding or trading, but those were mere table-scraps to the bounty amongst which these Equestrians lived.  All through his ride here, he had taken stock of the fruitful fields that surrounded the mountain and supported it's populace, growing practically as green as the leaves with envy at the seeming effortlessness of equine agriculture.  As one who had grown up with scarcity taken for granted, the sight of all this abundance struck him with various emotions that he was not able to sort out yet.  For though he had come with Jarl Sigrun and her protege as part of a diplomatic envoy to show the less brutal side of caribou culture, he could not stop the first thought that came into his head, *What a city to sack.*

Old cultural habits dying hard, perhaps.  There were other, smaller shocks that he had not been expecting.  His Clan, the Breen, set themselves apart from the rest of Whitescar by dying their coats of fur blue, which among the browns and grays made a striking contrast.  Here, among every conceivable shade imaginable?  Not so much.  From a distance, you might mistake him for an oversize pony, if it weren't for the antlers.  Coming up closer, of course, one would see the build and stature was rather bulkier than a pony's.  His figure was made all the more impressive by his armor, a shiny breastplate inscribed with the runic initials HB for his name and clan.  More for show than for function, of course, but it had been a gift from Sigrun for him, as he had otherwise no gala appropriate wear.

Currently, he was walking the streets of Canterlot along with Limi, Sigrun's protege and adopted son.  Which, given his own relationship with the Clan Askr Jarl, sort of made him Limi's step-father.  The two of them barely knew each other, though, which was probably why she had left the two of them alone together.  Halvard was a little lost for words, though, for talking to the young bull beside him, though much of that was probably due to the unfamiliar environment.  Limi had been south before, while he had not, and the older male was a little self-conscious about making statements that might sound too stupid, or too aggressive.

He couldn't help but notice the crowd beginning to pack into the art studio, though, and he had to remark on it.  "Hm... it seems the arts are much valued in this city."

oedrVXf.png?1

The little filly nodded her head when the artist asked about her older sibling, “That's my sister, Fire Walker! She's good friends with Miss Presteza and erm.", Wind Walker was able to lower her voice. This might have come to an surprise to some in the gallery. "She is looking to get her something arty, but I know she probably isn't going to get the best gift since she doesn't know much about art.", she was know in a low whisper, "Maybe you can give me some ideas to help my big sister. Something to help a really cool painter pony who is feeling a little blue."

The blue Pegasus pony's ears perked up when she overheard a silly stallion as he spoke in an 'old timey' sort of way, while entering the art store. It sounded like the awful acting his bother Sky and his geeky friends would get into while playing their O&O table-top role-playing game. 'Curse thy base villain!' or 'Zounds! My hunger for mead and wheaten bread is fierce! Bring me an ale, wench!'. He must be some big old nerd with nerd glasses and nerd zits. Nerd.", she turned away from the artist to see what this obvious nerd looked like. And eh, he wasn't too bad looking. He was a bit too skinny to be a real R.E.A. officer. And that spear! The filly glowered at the stallion as his pointy weapon got just a little too close for comport. If that thing so much as tapped the tips of her lovely blue wings, she would find a place to stick that spear, generally reserved for soft tissues. And while a few snarky words wanted to leave her mouth, the filly promised her sister that she would be a good pony for the entirety of their shopping trip! No swearing at stallions for her today!

Wind Walker's jaw nearly hit the ground when she caught sight of the Saddle Arabian Horse. At first, she assumed this was yet another Alcorn just by her size and beauty alone, but after noticing her lack of wings and a horn, she correctly guessed that this new customer was a horse. "Wow.", she gasped before she returned her gaze back at Peachy. "I do hope you have colors pretty enough to match her."

This gave the artist enough time to finish her picture. "Wow, that looks really awesome! Thanks!", the small pony bounced off her chair and gave the stallion a quick, and friendly little hug before taking her picture. "Thanks again, Mister Keen! I'll make sure my sister finds a cool enough frame for this!"

IXXrmiw.png

Fire Walker was having less success in her quest to find something for her old friend. "Mop Brush? Stippler Brush? A Dagger Striper? Where the heck are the regular old paint brushes?", she mumbled to herself as she ran a hoof through the ten zillion or so brushes for sale. The red mare could not help but thank the perfect and very sunny side of Queen Celesta's backside that she had already found the right gift for her mother. That was taken care of! But now she needed to find something for her old foalhood friend.

A friendly voice popped up from behind, which the officer responded back in kind, "Eh, it would be nice if my walk would have provided me insight on the best gift to get an friend who is an artist. I do hope you..", she turned and noticed the Sultan of Saddle Arabia standing right next to her! "Oh", she gave a proper bow, "Your Royal Highness!". She was rather surprised to see the Sultan without any sort of royal guard. Maybe they were standing outside of the building? Had she missed any bulletins? You would have think they would have made a bigger deal that Sultan Basira El-Amin was visiting Canterlot.

"Lovely day we're having.", the officer spoke in a standard, but polite Canterlot tone. "Have you come to have your portrait done?" That was also very odd. The good Sultan probably had some of the best artists from kingdoms all over the world, but she comes here? Odd. She was here at a little paint store. Two doors from what was probably a check cashing place. And a mane and hooficure salon.

MRxf2Yw.png

Ah, cyan, of course. A discerning eye equated to artistic mastery!

"Cyan, cyan," Dawnguard murmured, eyes going a little vacant as he imagined what it might look like. Yes...yes, the Artist of Peached Colors might have a point. He had been fixated on purple because, really, all the great heroes wore purple. Purple was the color of royalty, righteousness, Justice...a darkened night sky only fairly lit by the setting sun, Light nearly encompassed by Darkness yet still holding on! And yet, perhaps the deep purple would clash with the cyan of his breastplate?...and he couldn't very well request to be drawn with a purple star, no, that would be ludicrous! The honor of being allowed to wear REA armor was an honor not to be tarnished or messed with, no matter how badly the colors might clash with his envisioned portrait.

"You may be right, most Discerning of Righteous Artists," the white Pegasus conceded, rubbing his chin with one hoof, "perhaps a cyan colored cape would better capture the righteous bloodline of heroes coursing through my veins!" 

...And maybe...maybe a cap, like the one his father wore. 

Yeeeesss....

'Lo, but wait! His fated patron of the arts was requesting his name! Dawnguard fairly beamed at the pink colored Unicorn, falling back a step to curl one hoof in front of his face. "You've a keen eye, my friend," the REA guard intoned, head bent under the reminder of his fated destiny, "for a distinguished stallion such as myself holds many burdens. A Chosen One, Hero of Light, fated to bring all Injustice to heel under the raw power of my Mighty Spear Hoof, through which the blood of heroes flows! I, am..." Dawnguard abruptly thrust his spear hoof into the air, the shaft of light once against catching his armor to glisten and gleam inside the building.

"Private First Class, Dawnguard!" 

...Nailed it. He was getting far better at these introductions...especially when he remembered the very first time he had attempted one and ended up tripping over a rug. 

Which is when a new voice made itself known, causing Dawnguard to whirl around and catch sight of a slim mare with tendrils of fiery pink mane spilling over her blackened coat. The contrast was almost similar to the silver and dark blue Pegasus he'd served under during Winter Wrap Up in Ponyville, ponies fated to forever hold the battle of Good and Evil written upon their very essence. "Cease your apologies, fair maiden," Dawnguard cried, "for there are no offenses to be forgiven!" The Artist of Peachy Goodness was mostly agreeing with him, causing the white Pegasus to nod along with his words. Never did a fair maid of gentle eyes and soft voice oft interrupt, for their presence often brought with them the tidings of springtime after winter. 

Hmm...springtime after winter...that was a good one. He'd need to pencil that into his odyssey. 

"And what of you, my fated artist?" Dawnguard continued after a moment, whirling back towards the pink Unicorn. In the back of his mind he was still deciding on exactly how he wanted his portrait to look, whether he wanted to include a cape and cap, and perhaps have the sunlight bearing down upon his back to cast the faint of glow of large wings spreading beyond the reaches of the sky to engulf the building darkness in a searing pillar of Light and Goodness - but in the meantime, with the little filly's portrait done and no other ponies stepping forward for their turn, Dawnguard could learn more of the artist that would forever capture the heroic bloodline of heroes into painting. "What sky-given name was blessed unto you as your birthright?" 

wq4uXWhl.jpg

Well... there went her attempt at keeping a low profile... although Basira figured that the theatrical blonde pegasus talking to the proprietor of this establishment was more than capable of keeping the attention off of her. The tall mare raised a hoof to her muzzle hissing out a hushed, "Shhh." before smiling nervously at the crimson pegasus before her. She had been hoping to downplay her new status and enjoy her time in Canterlot as she visited her children, but it seems fate had other plans for her. She had hoped that Fire's slightly raised tone hadn't disturbed the scene, so in the hopes of brushing past this little stumble in her day... 

"I have actually... it seems there is a bit of a line forming however so I'll be waiting until there's an opening." there was a momentary silence, Basira couldn't help but feel she might have made a mistake in assuming she was not as recognizable as she thought. She had only been chosen as the Sultan of her homeland fairly recently: her reign like her predecessors would really only last a paltry ten years, so she thought that maybe the ponies of Equestria may have not heard of her save for some of the members of the upper echelons of their society. Perhap's that was it, now that she got a look at Fire's movements she could see a sort of poise that many noble born equestrians couldn't seem to shake... although she got credit for her effort as she managed to hide it well enough for her demeanor betrayed a feeling of strength not many of the nobles she'd seen in this land have... also unlike some of the upper class ponies she'd seen when she entered Canterlot; Fire's nose wasn't pointed to the sky and her eyes weren't always shut. 

"You seemed to be muttering something about... gifts for an artist? Maybe once there is a drop in Syd Keen's conversation with his next customer you could ask him what he might like. He is an artist too isn't he?"  

When she witnessed the smaller blue equine heading back towards her sister, her face brightened up and she inclined her head in Wind's direction, "As-salam Alaykom. Young one... It's nice to meet you, May I ask your name?"

XqEzCsl.png

Lími of Clan Askr remained just as silent as Halvard as he trailed behind the older bull. A caribou should be beyond such feelings according to Lími, but nonetheless, he found the concept of his foster mother finding another mate after all these years to be especially awkward. What did Jarl Sigrun see in the Vakstyra of Clan Breen that Lími could not? Not that the young bull questioned Halvard’s honor or anything of that nature; he just didn’t know whether this caribou was worthy of standing by his mother’s side... and whether Lími’s heart could ever accept Halvard as a stepfather.

Then again, it wasn't like Halvard would get a chance to exercise any significant paternal authority on the younger caribou. Not only was Lími an adult, but was also no longer an inhabitant of Whitescar. Canterlot was his new home for the time being, where the caribou immigrant planned on settling into a new life free of strife and brutal winters. As it just so happened, a Grand Galloping Gala was around the corner by the time Lími moved into his new quarters. On Sigrun’s advice, the young bull found himself in need of a proper formal outfit.

Such was why Lími wore princely attire on the Canterlot streets today, having been advised to use this time before the Gala to get used to wearing it. Unlike Halvard, Lími bore no armor; Sigrun knew better than force her adopted son into looking the part of a warrior. In lieu of a breastplate under his cape, Lími garbed himself in a fancy tunic of an earthen hue, suitable to be worn by a Prince of Deer. That is, he looked just like the epitome of a virtuous lord, from a bygone era of chivalry.

Like Halvard, Lími noticed a crowd forming around an art studio. “Canterlot is a city that prides itself on being cultured,” he finally broke his silence; “Jarl Sigrun... she values them too. I- I can still recollect the day when a pony artist came to our Keep. My mother... was most insistent that I join her so that we could be painted together. That day, it seemed like it was so long ago....." Quite so, for the caribou had been but a mere adolescent on that fateful occasion.

Halvard knew that his time together with Lími was short.  Therefore, when this opportunity arose to perhaps show interest in something that the younger bull also valued, he wasn't about the pass it up, whatever his own feelings.  As a point of fact, they tended to the positive in any case; he had seen the picture given by the traveling painter, and was duly impressed, though his appreciation was most certainly that of the laybou.  "I have seen that picture, yes.  It's quite good; and I'm sure the fact that she appreciates it says much about her suitability for diplomatic envoys.  The Player knows we've had too few of them in recent years; embers and ruins do not a gift of friendship make."

Drawn as much by his own curiosity as anything else, the Vakstyra bull walked closer, squinting to read the non-runic script.  "Hm.... 'Peachy's Portrait's...' ah, the artist has set up shop!"  An idea had now come into his head; if nothing else, this would make an excellent gift for Sigrun.  "What do say, Lími?  I'm sure Sigrun would love to have a portrait of you in that outfit; it would make a fine image... hm..."  Seeing a reflection of himself in the glass display window, Halvard tilted his head.  The Jarl had called him handsome, though he himself had until lately never really thought about his appearance.  He wasn't sure if he could see it.  "I think I may get one myself, come to think of it..."

Having made up his mind, he made his way to the door.  He remembered to duck his head, but his antlers got momentarily stuck on the doorframe.  With a grunt of effort and embarrassment, he pushed through into the shop, which was now starting to get rather crowded.  Let's see... a tall mare, one that could stand eye-to-eye with most any caribou, an armored guard, and what looked to be... mother and daughter?  Ah, and there behind the easel, that must be the artist himself.  "Good sir!"  Halvard called out in a not-quite-indoor voice.  "I presume that you are the 'Peachy' referred to on the sign outside, yes?  If you are not too busy, I have business for you."

XqEzCsl.png

Ah, so Halvard has indeed seen the family portrait in question. He must have been closer to Jarl Sigrun than Lími realized. Judging by the blue-coated bull’s comments, Halvard at least aligned himself with the forces of progress in Whitescar; the same forces supported by Sigrun. For that alone, Lími’s respect for Clan Breen’s chieftain grew... although it’d be a long time yet before the younger bull would acknowledge the other as “father”.

Lími conjured a look of embarrassment on his face when Halvard suggested acquiring a particular gift for his mother from Peachy’s Portraits. “Yes... “ the Askr caribou looked as if he was staring at something a thousand yards away; “I’m sure the Jarl will be most pleased indeed if I present with a new painting of myself.” After all, it would be the first time that a visual medium captured Lími’s physical essence since his growth spurt.

Having no counter-arguments in opposition to entering the crowded establishment, Lími silently followed behind Halvard as they entered the shop. The young bull’s antlers weren’t as tall as Halvard’s, so he didn’t have to mind his head while trotting inside. Being of the naturally shy sort, Lími stayed silent and cast his gaze from side to side while Halvard did all the talking.....

KalimeBannerNew_zps069cf7ee.png

A Diamond dog was probably the last creature you expected to walk into a portrait studio, but her Dad was having a birthday soon and she wanted to give him a present, he'd asked her only for a picture of herself to keep close when she went so far away.

And so here she was at Peachy's portraits, grinning from ear to ear as she pushed the door open with her massive paws, Oh.my.DOG! So many Ponies!

"HI PONIES!" Kalime exclaimed, before waving, greeting each pony as she passed them. "Hello pretty little blue Pony! Hello pretty red pony! Hi white Pony! Hi Black Pony~" She didn't know names and just called them by coat color, waiting till the others had placed their orders, before putting her massive paws on the counter, leaning in a bit towards Peachy.

"And Hello Pretty Peach Pony~ Kalime would like to purchase a portrait please! She can pay in bits~"

LongCashBanner_zpsd13db7c1.png

While not there to sniff out a portrait, the Purple maned Unicorn was there for one reason and one reason alone, to check on the overseer of this talent hub, Peachy Keen himself, once the stallion had entered, he approached the table from the side, gently placing a hoof on Peachy's shoulder, smiling softly as he did so. 

"Want me to tame the rabble?" He asked teasingly.

Ah, so they are siblings. Peachy had a knack for guessing that sort of thing, though this time it was a little too obvious to feel very accomplished. Firewalker, huh? That sounded a little familiar. He felt like he's heard the name before, but he didn't remember seeing her before now. It wasn't until Wind mention she was good friends with Presteza before he realize he's heard the painter mention her before. Sometimes Equestria doesn't feel all that big, does it?

When the filly told him Fire Walker was looking to get Pessy a gift, he felt glad that she had a least some friends who didn't practically neglect her. Perhaps he should send a gift too? Would that be too obvious?

"Maybe you can give me some ideas to help my big sister. Something to help a really cool painter pony who is feeling a little blue."

Those words left a sting in the pit of his stomach. Blue? What is the source of her dejection? Call him egotistical, but he immediately wondered if he was to blame for it. And if he wasn't, maybe he could have prevented it if he were more caring?
Never mind all that. His dazed grin was going to give him away if he didn't force his troubled thoughts aside to focus on the task at hoof. These ponies were in need of some artistic expertise. He placed his hoof on his chin.

"Hmm."

As he scanned the array of painting hanging on the wall. He wasn't sure he would be able to guess exactly with of these creations Presteza would most prefer, but he could make an educated guess. Since she was one for adventure, his eyes fell upon a collection of paintings illustrating some of the vast landscapes Equestria had to offer. There was a beautiful cityscape of Manehatten from the perspective of a far away hill, a quaint and detailed portrayal of Ponyville, and...

"Ah..."

Familiar settings could be adventurous, but not quite as much as the painting that caught his eye just by the farthest right window. Even from far away, he felt sucked in to the environment just from a simple glance. An airship was flying against the reds and purples of the sunset with mighty dragon caves sitting below. Dragons were seen on the ground and in the sky, with one in particular blocking the sun with their right wing, causing light to escape from the edges in elegant rays. The details were crudely painted and unrefined, but the sheer sense of lighting made it look absolutely stunning. Paintings that could transport one to a new world were something special, and this one certainly achieved that. With a satisfied grin, he pointed in the direction of the airship illustration.

"I feel like that would be the best choice." he said. "And you can tell your sister it's already paid for." He winked and levitated an opened package of professional brushes from his desk that he had been using. "As for art supplies, I'm quite partial to these, myself. You can find them over there near your sister."

When Wind Walker saw the painting she gave him a quick hug. It was a bit jarring, as he didn't expect it, but it was an adorable and rather heartwarming gesture nonetheless.

"Thanks again, Mister Keen! I'll make sure my sister finds a cool enough frame for this!"

"I'm sure she will, Sweetie. And thank you for the visit!"

Once his interaction with the filly ended, he turned his attention back to the armored pegasus. It seemed he found Peachy's suggestion for a cyan cape quite suiting. And when Peachy had asked for his name, he put on quite the theatrics when introducing himself. Peachy had to squint when the sunlight glistened through the window and bounced off his armor. It would seem as if the stallion had control over light itself. A feature Peachy was sure he'd love to possess, but the impeccable timing and placement seemed more well rehearsed than anything else.

"Private First Class, Dawnguard!" 

"Ah, a most fitting name I must say." Peachy said.

"What sky-given name was blessed unto you as your birthright?" 

The pink stallion smirked and pointed at the sign on his desk that read 'Peachy's Portraits.' "Though the full name is Peachy Keen." He added. "I certainly feel safer knowing you're watching over our lovely city."

Peachy couldn't help but try and feed his enthusiasm. Dawnguard was undoubtedly one of the most amusing ponies he's ever met.

A very commanding voice boomed through the shop, making Peachy turn his full attention to the source. A tall armored caribou was approaching him.

"I presume that you are the 'Peachy' referred to on the sign outside, yes?  If you are not too busy, I have business for you."

This might be the first time he's seen caribou before. Admittedly, he doesn't travel outside of Canterlot very often so a lot of things would be new to him. He felt a little nervous since he wasn't familiar with their customs. What if he says something wrong? He hid his unease behind a smile and spoke.

"Indeed, I am Peachy. And don't worry, dear. I'm never too busy." For a brief moment he scolded himself for calling the caribou 'dear.' What if it was misunderstood as 'deer' and saying such a thing was distasteful? Or they were of a high authority and his informal behavior was absolutely loathsome? He averted his eyes for a brief moment and noticed the younger caribou bearing elegant garments. He had an unmistakably timid disposition. Peachy hoped he didn't add to the discomfort with his careless words. "Are you here for a portrait?" His question was more or less addressed to the both of them and he put on his usual smile in the hopes they wouldn't take notice of his worries.

Before he got an answer from his new visitors, Peachy noticed a diamond dog enter the shop. He's only met a diamond dog once before during Ponyville's Winter Wrap Up. The memory of the sudden violent blizzard that befell them made him shiver. He's never been so cold since. Or scared for that matter. He usually avoided danger but it somehow managed to find him in the most unlikely of places. He's still a bundle of nerves once the snow starts to fall. Nonetheless, he pushed his thoughts aside to tend to his new customer. After greeting everyone in the shop, the diamond dog approached him.

"And Hello Pretty Peach Pony~ Kalime would like to purchase a portrait please! She can pay in bits~"

He couldn't help but gaze at her massive paws for a moment as they met the counter. "Alright dear. I will let you know when you're up next" He said as he wrote her name in the sheet.

He was about to speak again when he felt a hoof on his shoulder. It alarmed him for a moment until he saw a familiar face. Cashmere. When Peachy was in need of a skilled tailor, this was the pony he'd see. Though their relationship quickly developed beyond a mere professional connection, Peachy still attempted to keep his distance, though that wasn't very obvious with all the flirting going on between them. He'd be lying if he said their growing friendship didn't make him nervous. Not because he didn't like the stallion, that is far from the truth. Rather he felt that Cashmere deserved a friend who wouldn't neglect him for silly reasons. Cash never seems fazed by his aloofness though, which somehow left him feeling both relived and anxious at the same time.

"Want me to tame the rabble?"

He blinked through half lidded eyes and a jesting smirk met his face. "Are you here for a portrait or did you come all this way just to see me, darling?"

USG3AI7.png?1

"Oh. Sorry.", The red mare turned a slightly dark shade of red. While the royal Sultan stuck out like a sore hoof in a crowd of ponies and caribou....And a Diamond Dog? Fire Walker had thought she had seen everything, but a cute Diamond Dog? They tended to be such mangy creatures, but this one wasn't hard on the eyes. Being the polite sort of pony, she made sure to wave back before turning her attention back to the Sultan. "Yep. Having a girl's night out and I wanted to bring something for a friend. Oh.", she wanted to slap herself silly. "I mean two gifts. Both of my old friends are artists. One in the painty-paint sense and the other carves stone and rock. It would be rude to get one a gift and not the other." Hopefully her sister would get a few ideas from the artist.

"Wow, Mister Keen must have quite the reputation to gather up so many different people here...We just sort of stumbled upon this place during our meanderings..."

oedrVXf.png?1

The little blue pony watched patiently as the painter pondered what particular present they should get Presteza. After a few moments, the stallion pointed out a rather impressive painting of an airship. "Ooh! That should work! Pres..erm. my sister's friend likes to go on adventures like my sister....Fire even got to ride one just like your picture and she fought nasty old sky pirates!" Wind Walker took note of the brushes Peachy Keen showed off. "Well, thanks again...For everything!" She quickly made room for the next pony in line.

As she moved on, a rather strange creature called out to her. She looked like a dog, but she could speak and walked upright. She also wore some clothing. Wind Walker had heard of a race of dog people, but they were supposed to be really mean. She didn't look or sound mean. "Hey Pretty Pup!" she waved back. The dog-girl sure looked very huggable, but those giant paws would probably flatten the filly.

And speaking o pretty, her big sister was talking to the Saddle Arabian Horse! "It's Wind Walker.", she wasn't sure if she needed to bow, but managed to do a proper curtsy and nearly stumbled as she did so. "Fire Walker here is my big sister! Do you have any sisters?"

Spoiler

OOC: I'm assuming they'd probably want to wait until the portrait dries before taking it..

This was a nice day... Flora smiled to herself as she walked down the road leisurely. She didn't usually get a chance like this, to simply enjoy herself in a city after a delivery. She always traveled and delivered these things herself. Not that she didn't trust the mail service, but she was a bit... Protective of her plants, and she wanted to make sure they were happy and healthy when they made it to the destination. 

In any case, the green earth mare had the rest of the day to herself, and a walk seemed as good a use of her time as any at the moment. Eventually, she spotted a store for some kind of art, and a portrait sounded like a better gift for her parents than yet another plant...

After a moment of thought, she walked through the door, and almost ran from the crowd of unfamiliar faces presented to her. As it was, she gave a quiet "eep!" and hid in the corner until it was her turn or someone approached her. 

As hard as it may have been to believe, Halvard himself was feeling some trepidation about this cross-cultural exchange.  Jarl Sigrun had warned him that ponies were likely to be friendly and familiar, yes, but used to more gentle interactions than the more boisterous socializing typically favored by the caribou.  Plus, there was Limi watching.  Halvard didn't want to embarrass the lad, not while he was trying to get to know him better.

"Yes, we are both here for a portrait."  He nodded towards Limi, who had just come in.  "Actually, it was for a gift as well.  We have come with the Jarl Sigrun for the... Grand Galloping Gala, I think you call it?  I rather thought she might appreciate a picture of us in our finery."  Looking down at his ornamental, rune-embossed armor plate, Halvard chuckled, "I, for one, am usually wearing armor that has seen more practical use."

Nightingale hopped into the art store, head bobbing to the music that played into her ears.  

~"and let the beat drop"~

~"Uh!  Mhm~  Yeah!"~

~"Turn the beats up!"

She sang along, completely immersed in her song.  She danced into the side of the room, before noticing a cute little earth pony mare hiding in a corner.

She rapped, "Hello my name is Nightingale; I'm here looking for art on sale; you seem like a cute little mare; what are you even doing here?"

Flora gave another eep as the new mare approached her and spoke, introducing herself and asking why the green earth mare was there. She blinked a little bit at the rhyming in the speech, answering tentatively.

"Umm... I-i'm Flora Bloom... I am l-looking for a-art too, f-for my p-parents." She said softly, hiding her face as best as she could behind her mane.

XqEzCsl.png

". . . Are you here for a portrait?"

"Yes, we are both here for a portrait. . . ."

As hoped for by Lími, Halvard did the major verbal lifting for the two of them. Thankfully, it went rather well considering the potential follies in communication between ponies and caribou. However, although the young bull was usually one to keep silent when given the opportunity, he also wanted to make the minimum effort required to not come off as too unfriendly to the ponies around. "I am Lími... son of Sigrun," he bowed his head briefly to the painter, then gestured toward his counterpart; "And this is Halvard of Clan Breen. Well met, fellow Peachy."

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/16/2016 at 1:35 PM, PyroBlaze said:

"Umm... I-i'm Flora Bloom... I am l-looking for a-art too, f-for my p-parents."

She nodded, "That's chill,"

She prayed the look on her face wouldn't betray her true emotions, or her feelings.  She blinked real fast for a few milliseconds, trying to clear her head of the jungle.

Chill, 'Gale.  He kicked you out, and you're happier that way.  No need to miss him or the Manor.  He wouldn't let you do what you liked, so it wasn't worth staying with him.  

But-yet-part of her felt...saddened.  Part of her wanted a father to run home to, a stallion that would tell her how proud he was of her.  Part of her missed her father...even if he was nothing she would ever have liked.

He was nothing more than a workaholic that cared nothing for me nor my mother.  He's not worth my time, attention, or love.  He was no father...

She gave the mare a smile, "Th-that's cool.  So..uh...why?  What's the occaecae?"

"O-occaecae?" She asked, blinking a bit in confusion. "Y-you mean o-occasion? My m-mother's birthday is s-soon." 

Flora could tell something was bothering the mare, but she didn't feel like she should ask about it. At least not yet... Maybe if they got to know each other better...

Archived