[Bareback Gulch] Home on the Range?[OPEN]

Flying overhead, Ezio Darkclaw had missed the tiny town several times. But not today. Somehow, with the clear sky and and the sun on his back, Ezio had seen Bareback Gulch. He swore it hadn't been there before...Heck, it looked almost as if it'd been built in a day. He wondered what sort of creatures in their right mind would choose to live in a place like this. It looked almost like a ghost town...and perhaps it was.

Ezio swooped down, landing just outside the town and half hiding behind a rock formation. He stared up over, looking for signs of movement, signs of life. It'd been awhile since he'd spoken to anyone, after hiding out in Roughrider Ridge. He'd hidden from anyone he saw, near or far. He wasn't exactly hard to spot from a distance, given his size and somewhat shiny scales.

But he needed to ask some questions. Someone who was unbiased, who wasn't a Dragon. Someone smart, and probably not a Griffin...what if there were Griffins here? What if this town was full of Griffins? That wouldn't do at all...

Sliding down behind the rock, he hid behind it, not noticing that his tail was stretched out in full view. He debated with himself the pros and cons of letting himself be known, where he could fly to to get away in case of attack. Anywhere he went, there could be Griffins...and what if there were other creatures, worse creatures?

There was nothing for it. He was going straight homeâ€â€Âwell, not home, exactly. Just his temporary home; it wasn't going to be permanent, right? Then again, he'd come all this way...

• 1 month later...

'Horrible!... Horrible idea Clay! Hardly anypony lives out here!'

An argument could suddenly be heard in the distance, making its way up a path leading towards the rundown uninhabited looking town. Whoever was arguing though sounded rather tired and somewhat annoyed. As the path curved around a rock, a pony pulling a cart suddenly came into view, but no pony else was yet visible.

'Why did I decide to come here first?' Clay asked himself perhaps for the tenth time since he had entered the Roughrider Ridge area, his face showing a slight look of disbelief as he looked up at the sky perhaps expecting an answer, but finding none. A few more seconds passed before he came to a stop and hung his head as he voiced the response to his own question, the same one he had given himself for perhaps the tenth time as well.

'Because you wanted to expand your business clientele beyond Ponyville and Fillydelphia, that's why… *sigh*' He looked forward towards the town up ahead. 'But it's not like anypony out here is going to want to buy anything. I mean, look at that place. Its looks like a ghost town and I doubt ghosts have any interests in buying a pony's wares. Hmm, or maybe they would...'

Clay stopped talking for a minute and then looked back up to the sky again, a somewhat more calm expression on his face than before as he let out another sigh and then looked behind him at the cart he was pulling. A green tarp covered the cart, keeping its contents hidden from the harsh weather he had encountered while travelling. 'No, somepony is bound to appreciate some of these. Besides, I heard mostly griffons and diamond dogs live out here. I'm sure at least one or two of them will have an eye for quality.'

Suddenly, with a more determined look on his face, the self-arguing pony began to pull his cart again as he looked up and down the ridge walls that enclosed the gulch. 'Why anypony would live out here though confuses me, nothing but rocks...' He looked forward. 'More rocks and a few dried out trees…' He looked to the left. 'A shiny blue silvery rock shaped like a tail…' He looked to the right. 'And…' He lowered his head close to the ground as he kept walking, stuck his tongue out and gave the ground a quick lick. '*ptoooey* soil so deprived of silicate it wouldn't make anything close to a decent clay deposit. If it weren't for that odd rock formation, I'd say this place was too dull.'

Clay walked three more steps before what he had just told himself finally hit its mark. Suddenly stopping, he turned his head to look back at the large shiny blue object he had just passed. He did a few back and forward movements with his cart to turn it around and walked towards the strange object.

'What the hay is this?' He gave it a slight poke with his hoof.

Ezio heard a voice echoing through the mountains, sounding closer and closer. He watched the town, but didn't see anyone exiting itâ€â€Âso that couldn't be the source. He ducked behind the rock, hoping that he wouldn't be seen. At least, not yet. Not until he was readâ€â€Â

Feeling something against his tail, Ezio whipped around, snarling in defense, unsure of what it could be. His teeth snapped down close to the creatures face, until it could register that this was, in fact, NOT a Griffin. Wings, yes, gray, true...but no beak or claws, he quickly observed.

Ezio raised his head, cocking it to the side as he stared down at the gray creature before him.

Clay froze in place, only having barely heard a snarling sound and turning his head just in time to see a pair of sharp teeth snap inches from his face. Now as the dragon observed him, cocking his head, Clay's mind raced through scenarios where he might escape without being extra crispy.

'That was a dragon's tail…' His thoughts pointed out. 'Yes it is…' He managed to mumble to himself. 'Fly away! Can't, cart too heavy and he'll catch me. RUN! Still attached to cart… Then unhinge yourself, grab a pot, throw it in the opposite direction and RUN! That might be work…'

Clay's hoof gently began to reach for the underside of his belly where the buckle of the strap was. As soon as he felt his hoof touch the metal of the buckle, with one quick flick he undid the buckle and began to back away towards the tarp covered cart. Still keeping his eye on the dragon, he flipped the tarp off the cart to unveil a varied assortment of ceramic wares. He began to rummage blindly through the pots feeling the lips and handles as he kept his eyes focused on the dragon. Finally finding one small one, he grabbed it and raised it over his head ready to throw it and run.

'Wait! Not that one! It's one of the better pots! Look for the other small one, the one with a fish on it!' Oh pony feathers, why did he look at the pot instead of just throwing it. He gingerly set it down on the ground and began to once again rummage blindly through the cart, his eyes not leaving the dragon again. Suddenly, his eyebrows rose as a question formed and found its way out his mouth.

"Wait… Why haven't you eaten me yet? Not that I mind, mind you.'

Ezio watched curiously as...whatever it was, rummaged through...whatever he'd been dragging along with him. But he kept staring at him. It was a bit unsettling, at that. Maybe he'd just never seen a Dragon before...they might not be common in this part of the world, which was good for Ezio.

The creature raised something above his head, and then set it on the ground. Perhaps a custom, in these parts? It was rather strange... But then he spoke, directly to him this time. So he had been the one Ezio had just heard.

'Oh, I, uhâ€â€Â' He supposed it was customary for most Dragons to eat anything they saw moving. How weird it must seem, for him to not immediately attack. He decided to go for a tactical, and somewhat smart alec approach. 'Is that a problem?' he asked, straight-faced.

'Problem? No, no problem at all! If anything, it is a pleasant surprise!... Umm, very pleasant, yes.'

Clay immediately answered with a slight hint of surprise mixed with nervousness in his voice as he subconsciously took a few steps back, blinking furiously to prevent the sweat from his forehead from getting into his eyes. 'It's just I've never seen a fully grown dragon before and only heard rumors of how they're mindless aggressive beasts that eat ponies in one bite. But…' He paused for a second as his expression became less and less 'shock' and more mild 'curiosity' as he became slightly lost in his train of thought. Bringing one hoof up to his chin, he looked at the pot he placed on the floor and then up to the dragon, as if connecting dots that suddenly became clear.

'Actually, now that I think about it, I never heard of dragons being able to talk so I suppose my earlier question might have gone unanswered if that was true and I would have already destroyed a perfectly good pot trying to distract you and then running away. Hmm, guess those ponies never met a dragon either. And…'

He suddenly stopped and looked down at the pot that still lay on the ground. Staring at it, he let out a slight snort through his nostrils and picked up the pot and gingerly put it back in the cart as he looked at it pitifully.

'I doubt you would have fallen for it, you strike me as being brighter than that... Good thing though, I'd hate to waste a pot on something that wouldn't have worked… Or being eaten for that matter.'

His demeanor was suddenly more calmed down and relaxed, perhaps content with the justifications and realizations his thought process gave him.

'HEY! If you talk, then you must have a name! I'm Nimbus Claypot!' He extended a hoof out for a hoofshake out of habit. 'What's your name? If you have one I mean.'

Ezio listened as the animal chattered on. He sure could talk a lot... How did anyone get anything done around here if all they did was talk all day? Maybe that's why the town looked so bleak... everyone must have just stayed inside and talked all day instead of working or fixing things.

He looked down at the limb Nimbus finally offered. Hm, must be something wrong with his leg. Maybe he stepped on a small stone, or something... It wasn't really Ezio's concern.

'I am Ezio. Ezio Darkclaw. And I'm not a full grown Dragon, for one. They've got to be at least twice my size. And I highly doubt thatâ€â€Â'pot' did you say?â€â€Âwould have done you any good. Not even sure where you came up with such a notion.... But you said you haven't seen a Dragon before? Not even one? And what sort of a creature do you call yourself?"

If there weren't Dragons around here, all the better for himself. It meant he'd be able to stay in his temporary residence for...well, awhile longer.

• 4 weeks later...

Clay lowered his hoof to the ground and kept looking at the Dragon. Although having a conversation with a dragon was something he did not expect and in turn was rather disarming, he made a conscious effort to hold on to some shred of apprehension just in case things turned for the worst.

"Nope, not a single dragon in this region... Well, I guess I couldn't really say region seeing as I have only seen the parts I have traveled through and they haven't been very picturesque." Clay kept looking as the dragon as he spoke and made his way around the cart back to the front, not entirely ready to hitch himself back up but more or less making sure his pots were not damaged during his frantic blind 'stick you hoof in the cart and see what you pull out to throw" plan. Once he was sure that his wares were unharmed however, with a quick flap of his wings he took to the sky and began to hover slight at eye level with the dragon.

"I am a pony, Mr. Darkclaw, a Pegasus pony to be exact and a talented one at that. These pots here are my art, made by my own hooves, tail, wings, and muzzle." He gestured to each part as he continued to hover at eye level while looking at Ezio. "Also, I sculpt clouds into shapes just for fun when I am not too busy." As soon as he said this, Clay lazily flew to a low hanging cloud and took off a small bit off it, the size of a watermelon, and hovered back towards Ezio's eye-level as he fiddled with the cloud in his hooves. Then, with a content grin and a slight exclamation of "Ta-Da!" he let the cloud escape his hooves to float lazily in front of them. The cloud now looked like a rather large apple with steam and all.

"See? I'm actually hoping to sell my wares at that town up ahead, but the more I look at it, the more I think it might be a lost cause." Clay's attention no longer on the cloud, he focused on the dragon in front of him, resuming his lightly guarded apprehension of the situation. Yet, we slight and sudden arching of his brows, he quickly let out a grin as he addressed Ezio again.

"Actually, do you happen to know anything about that town up ahead?" Clay gave a quick nod toward the town that was quickly followed by a short pause as he brought on of his hooves up to his muzzle. "And now that I think of it... You were hiding behind that rock. Is or was there a particular reason?"

Ezio took in the creatures words. Hm, no Dragons nearby? Well, that wasn't exactly what he'd said... but from his reaction, if there were any other Dragons nearby he wouldn't have been so surprised to see one. He kept staring too, even as he made his way back toâ€â€whatever it was that carried his other pots. Then Clay flapped his wingsâ€â€Ezio just noticed themâ€â€and made his way closer to the curious Dragon.

Hm, a “Pegasus Ponyâ€Â, he'd called himself... well, Ezio knew for future reference. He watched as the creatureâ€â€no, Pegasus Ponyâ€â€flew up to a low hanging cloud, bringing part of it back with him. After a few moments, the newly sculpted white fluff hovered between them, though Ezio wasn't sure what it was. He wondered if he could make fun shapes with clouds as well. He'd never tried it, but Clay could, why couldn't he?

Ezio turned his attention back to the town as Clay addressed it, making a quick sweep with his eyes to make sure nothing had made a movement while his attention had been otherwise occupied. “No, I don't.†he addressed the question. “Only that it seems deserted. I haven't seen anything go in or out of any of the buildings.â€Â

But his attention was brought back to the Pegasus Pony by his comment. “I was not hiding.†He cleared his throat for a moment. “I was observing.

Clay kept hovering at eye level as Ezio answered his questions. However, he suddenly found himself struggling to keep his face from betraying the disbelief he felt at the last answer, a raised eyebrow refusing to go down. “Come on clay, keep a straight face. If he says he’s observing and not hiding like it looked like he was doing since you didn’t even see him at first, then who are you to argue it. He’s a dragon and you’re a pony, plain and simple.†After a minute of silence and finally being able to subdue the rogue eyebrow, Clay finally asked his next question.

“So um, if you were hidi… err, “observing†the town…†He raised his forelegs in the air and used his hooves to mimic quotation marks, causing the little pony in his head to facehoof. “Who were you observing for? Another dragon? I am pretty sure almost only Griffons live there… BUT!â€Â

Clay slowly hovered back to the ground and began looking for his satchel with he had decided to keep in the cart for this trip. Finally finding it and pulling it out in his mouth, he quickly set it on the floor and stuck his head in to rummage for something. As he did, all sort of small objects rolled out as they were pushed aside by his muzzle; a rolled up pottery tool kit in an apron he hardly ever used, three apples, a few pencils… Finally, after a few seconds of searching, he finally brought his head back out holding a small notebook in his mouth. Putting it on the floor he opened it up and began to flip the pages with his hoof.

“Ah, here we go.†He finally found the page he was looking for and began to read out loud. “Small town in Bareback Gulch located north of yada yada yada… Said to be home to griffons and diamond dogs, some ponies do live here and yada yada yada…†Finally he stopped and closed the book with a resounding satisfaction. “I’m not sure if this is the town I heard about, but I doubt there are many small towns out here.†He began to fly again and stopped and begun to hover as soon as he was at eye level again. He strained his eyes and brought up his hooves to his head to form a sort of visor to shield his eyes while he looked at the town in the distance.

“Say, not that I doubt your claims of “observing†the town and I’m sure it has its benefits…†He strained his eyes a little bit more trying to spot any movement. “But, if nopony or such has come out since you’ve been here, could you not just assume it’s safe to go take a look? You know, up close and personal like?â€Â

The Pegasus Pony stared at him for a moment, which Ezio didn't like at all. He could feel a defensive growl rising in his throat, but he subdued it as the other began to speak.

“I was merely observing to see what type of creature might live there. Although so far it looks like nothing lives there. Who would want to, anyway?†Ezio answered, watching as Mister Darkclaw rummaged through a bag.

Ezio listened as he rambled off a bit about the town before them.â€ÂGriffinsâ€Â, he'd said. And also some creatures called “Diamond Dogs†and also “Ponies.†Mister Darkclaw had called himself a Pegasus Pony... That must have been what he meant. So, Griffins, Pegasus Ponies, and something else called Diamond Dogs... The Griffin part worried Ezio a bit, but he still handed seen any signs of anything living here. Perhaps the Pegasus Pony had the wrong town.

“What's the point of going closer if there's nothing there?†Ezio replied, as if it were obvious. He folded his arms across his chest. “Obviously there must not be anything interesting there if all the residence are long gone.â€Â

Clay continued to hover while he looked at the town in the distance, taking a few seconds to digest Ezio’s comment about the town. As he did though, a smile began to form across his face as his eyes narrowed.

“Curiosity, Mr. Darkclaw, plain and simple curiosity! If someponies decided to set up a town in this of all places, they must have had their reasons to put such an effort. And, I doubt they would just up and leave, throwing away all that effort they put into their town…â€Â

Clay held his narrowed gaze on the town as he continued to smile and brought up a hoof to scratch his chin.

“Well, I will admit it does look like they hardly put any effort into it…Hmm… But be as it may, Mr. Darkclaw, curiosity calls! You have been observing it for a while, I’m guessing it was not just to enjoy the scenery but to probably venture in. Come on, aren’t you curious about why this town looks so deserted? What could have happened to it? I know I am!â€Â

With that, Clay began to lazily fall to the ground and landed right in front of his cart with a content look on his face as he made up his mind and began to hitch himself up to it again.

“Besides, I came all the way here to sell my art, my pottery! Even if I have to peddle it to ghosts. I am not going to turn back just yet.â€Â

He finally finished hitching himself to the cart and began to tug at it until momentum built and the cart began to move forward at a casual trot. As he pulled, he looked at the seemingly, thus far, none hostile dragon and began hatching a small plan.

“You know, Mr. Darkclaw, if the residents just up and left and this is in fact a ghost town. Maybe they left some of their possessions behind. Perhaps a few GEMS laying around…â€Â

Clay wasn’t sure if adolescent dragons collected gems and treasure, as he had heard dragons were keen on the habit. But maybe that was enough to persuade the dragon to venture into the town and find whatever it is that he seemed to be looking for. Clay, although he may not give the impression, was more aware of things than he led on. He knew all actions had a purpose, whether it be a pony or a dragon, and this particular dragon had been there for a specific purpose.

He pondered just what that may be as he continued to move at a leisurely trot towards the town.

[OOC - Sorry, recently it's taken me longer to reply than I am comfortable with. It has been a rather hectic month to say the least but I will try and cut down on the time between posts.]

Ezio debated with himself. It seemed as if Nimbus was trying to bait him into going into the town by taunting him. Well, he shouldn't stand for it! He was a big, strong Dragon. At any rate, if there WERE Griffins there, they'd probably be more afraid of him than he was of them. Dragons were much bigger and stronger, even he'd grown to be bigger than the members of his family. And he knew where all the caves in the area were, so he could always hide if they wanted to pick a fight and there were too many. Nimbus would probably be able to talk them out of it anyway, or at the very least, keep them occupied with his chatter until Ezio could get away.

So he followed after, not sure what the importance of gems was. He walked on all fours, as he was accustomed to, and held his head high. He resisted the urge to lower it closer to the ground and attempt to hide in plain site. That wouldn't do any good except to make him look foolish. His tail swished back and fourth as he walked, and his scales gave off a gleam in the sunlight. The town loomed closer, and he took a gulp, and puffed his chest out in what he hoped was an impressive looking manner.

“What's so special about gems?†he asked, as they stepped passed the first few buildings.

Clay simply continued his leisurely trot towards the town as he pulled the cart behind him with all his wares. He could hear Ezio walking behind him so he knew he was now heading into town with a dragon in tow. If there was anypony or anyone in town, this was sure to turn some heads. He was rather content about his plan to mention gems to Ezio, which was the case until he heard his question.

“What’s so special about gems?†Clay stopped walking as he was caught completely off guard by the question and turned around to look at Ezio. “I… What’s wrong with your chest?†He raised an eyebrow as he noticed Ezio puffing out his chest. The image of a pigeon suddenly came to mind and he immediately began clearing his throat to try and avoid laughing a bit.

“Well I, *snicker* ahem, excuse me… Actually, I do not rightly know to be honest. I had heard rumors that dragons like to hoard gems and treasure, and that they even eat the gems. That gems are like a delicacy for dragons.†He tapped the end of his chin as he considered what he had just said. “Actually, considering you’d be eating gems, that would be a delicacy by anypony’s standards. Hmm, perhaps dragons have as varied tastes and diets as ponies and griffons do. If I may ask, what do you like to eat Mr. Darkclaw?†He started trotting again and began making his way to more lonesome buildings up ahead leading into town.

A minute or two passed, as so did another lonesome building on the outskirts of the town.

“To be honest Mr. Darkclaw, the more time I spend talking to you, the more I realize you are proving the opposite of these rumors I’ve heard. A fact which has turned out to be a rather pleasant surprise.†He craned his neck a bit as he passed a building, trying to get a glimpse through its dust covered window.

“I doubt anypony will believe I’ve had a rather civilized conversation with a dragon. Especially the part about you not knowing about gems. I mean, honestly…†He pulled his cart over to a small patch of pebbles and cobblestones and slightly began to rummage through them with one of his hoofs. After a minute he headed back to the road carrying something in his mouth which he quickly spat onto his outstretched hoof.

“Honestly, would you eat this if given a choice?†He held up a piece of turquoise, offering it to Ezio. As he did, he looked over at the town. The buildings where getting closer together and he had yet to see anypony or anyone.

The question about his chest caught Ezio off guard, and he slowly released the air he'd stored up out through his nose. Perhaps attempting to look bigger or stronger wasn't a custom in these parts... Although if there were Griffins, surely it must be. Of course, there wasn't any proof that there really were Griffins here... But who was to say there wasn't? Actually, nobody, because as far as he could tell, the town was still deserted.

Then the question about his diet popped up. Ezio paused for a moment, pretending to clear his throat while he tried to think of the proper way to explain that he wasn't exactly what you'd call a vegetarian. Although he could eat other things besides meat, it was the type of diet he'd been raised on, and preferred.

But Clay was soon going on again, and Ezio didn't have much better to do at the moment than listen. It did peek his interest that he acted differently from other Dragons... He wasn't sure whether that was good or bad. Although, it seemed that all Clay had heard were rumors. Still, from what Ezio had seen, he supposed he would come off as “different.â€Â

Then Clay paused, and Ezio stopped as well, watching as the peculiar Pegasus dug through his carrying device again. When he brought back the blueish green stone, Ezio had expected something a bit more... exciting. THIS was a Dragon delicacy? Ezio took it in his claw, swiveling it around to examine all sides. What was the draw to it? What was so special about...

“It's a rock.†he stated.

Clay simply smiled and watched as Ezio took the piece of turquoise from him and swiveled it while he appraised it. He was admittedly testing Ezio, in a sort of nonchalant method. There was no ill intent in this, only his own curiosity imploring him to see just how many of the “milder” rumors were true and cross-out the ones that weren’t. He was certain the gem rumor was one of the truer rumors, seeing as it was the only rumor he had heard that practically never deviated from its telling. And as such, Clay was certain Ezio would take a bite out of the turquoise he had offered him.

“Yes, it’s a rock. Well, a piece of turquoise to be exact.” Clay replied to Ezio’s statement as he began to pull his cart once again. “Not much appeal to it other than that it looks pretty. It would never even occur to me to take a bite out of it. Undoubtedly I would break my teeth if I did that.” He turned his head around and gave a toothy smile to Ezio as he showed off what he was referring too. “I wouldn’t be able to sell or make my pots if I didn’t have any teeth.” He let out a chuckle and then quickly stopped again and looked over at Ezio, bringing up a hoof to his muzzle for effect of being in deep thought.

“But then again, I don’t have that powerful looking jaw and those sharp teeth like you do. Maybe you should try giving it an experimental bite? Never know, you might just like it and never realized it. Plus, I have some water if you don't like it and want to wash out your mouth. Oh, and apples if you want some.” Clay offered in a somewhat compromising tone, uncertain if Ezio would allow him to satisfy his curiosity.

Also, since they were already within reach of the town limits and had yet to see anypony or anyone, Clay was admittedly becoming more disheartened about his endeavor into this region of Equestria. The chance to converse with Ezio, and not be eaten, was a welcomed distraction and Clay simply stood there and smiled as he waited to see if Ezio would try out the turquoise.

• 2 weeks later...

”Hmmm...” Ezio surveyed the “turquoise” he still held in one claw as the pair moved along. It didn't seem especially unappealing... but he'd never tried to eat a rock before. Although, where he came from, rocks weren't generally this colorful. Just normal boring brown and gray rocks, in varying shades. Now, this one here—it was blue. Or perhaps green... It was difficult to tell.

In any case, Clay had made a good point. Ezio had never found anything his teeth couldn't bite right through. He did have quite an impressive set of jaws on him, being a Dragon and all. “That is true.” he said as confirmation. Perhaps Pegasus Ponies couldn't eat rocks, but technically there was no reason a Dragon couldn't. Though he didn't particularly want to be associated with the habits of other Dragons, eating rocks wasn't necessarily a bad thing.

So, with a bit of reluctance, Ezio stretched out his tongue, placing the blueish green rock on it and curling it back into his mouth. He moved it about experimentally for a few moments, testing the texture and consistency. Then, with a cracking sound, the turquoise was shattered into several pieces by Ezio's sharp teeth. A few more chomps, and the rock was ground-down enough to swallow.

Ezio found it surprisingly satisfying... Of course it was unlike anything he'd ever tasted before, seeing as he'd never even thought to eat any type of rock or stone. It was a bit sandy and salty, with perhaps a fruity hint? At any rate, he supposed he wouldn't be objectionable to trying other colorful stones in the future.

“Well... It wasn't that bad.” he said, trying to act nonchalant.

“That is true.”

Clay’s ears immediately perked up at Ezio’s words and he quickly turned his head slightly to observe him out of the corner of his eye. He was trying his best to keep it discreet, keeping in mind how he would feel if somepony just gawked at him while he tried something for the first time.

As they continued their way into town, Clay watched Ezio as he placed the turquoise on his tongue and pulled it into his mouth. The sound that came out of Ezio’s mouth made Clay flinch. He could only imagine what would happen if he actually ever dared to try something like that. He would definitely hear a cracking sound too, but not from the rock.

“Well... It wasn't that bad.”

“So they do eat gems. Mark that one off the rumors list.” Clay thought to himself as he looked up at the dragon.

“Hehe, like my teacher used to say, ‘Try it once and see if it works. No true lasting mistakes are ever made, just the beginnings of improvement instead.’ Although I will admit I had plenty of opportunity to improve.” He let out a hardy chuckle before jumping on to the next question.

“So Mr. Darkclaw, how did it taste?”

But before an answer could be given, Clay came to a stop and raised a hoof towards Ezio, waving him to stop walking. They had made it into the center of town and could walk no further. He hadn’t even noticed how fast they had approached the end of the road.

“Hmm, I have not seen a single hair or feather of any creature here” He could not help but unfurl his wings a little as if ready to take off at the first sign of trouble. He unhitched his cart and walked a little in a circle around it, observing the empty and decrepit looking buildings around them.

“Well, no sense waiting to find out, right Mr. Darkclaw?” He addressed Ezio as he did one final circle around his cart and stopped next to it and began to take a few pots out from it and set them on the ground. He quickly spotted a small sack he had completely forgotten he had.

“Here you go Mr. Darkclaw.” Clay placed the small sack at Ezio’s feet before trotting back to the pots he had taken out. The small sack contained a little more than a few hoof-full’s of gems like Garnets, Rubies, Obsidians, Turquoises, Emeralds and such. Small things he had found in his travels.

“I was going to use those gems for décor to use on my pots for when I got back to my workshop. But if you liked the turquoise, I would imagine you would like these ones even more.” He gave him a wink before turning towards the center of town and taking a deep breath.

FILLIES AND GENTLECOATS! And ghosts if any… COME ONE, COME ALL AND FEAST YOUR EYES ON THESE MARVELOUS POTS I HAVE BROUGHT TO SELL ALL THE WAY FROM THE SADDLEVAIL PLAINS!”

Clay’s voice echoed throughout the town.

• 2 weeks later...

”Well, it was kinda of like—“ Ezio began thinking of how to describe the taste when Clay stopped him. Ezio watched as he began to place some of the contents of his cart onto the ground. Then he remembered that the Clay's question had remained unanswered. “I don't know, I guess it was a bit.. sandy, which I suppose could be expected from a rock. A bit salty too, and maybe a tad fruity?” He rubbed his chin thoughtfully.

He accepted the bag Clay then offered him,opening it up and scanning around inside to determine the contents. “Oh, well thank you.” He pawed through the gems curiously, finding himself craving the delicious looking—wait, delicious? Surely, they did look shiny and tasty—tasty? Ezio hadn't seen too many gems or pretty rocks in his short lifespan, but he suddenly felt himself, perhaps, hungering for the ones he now held.

He shooed the thought away, however, glancing around as Clay made his rather loud announcement. Ezio was nearly convinced this place was deserted, but he waited to be sure.