[Canterlot] Take a Look, it's in a Book[CLOSED]

It was the first time Luna had ventured into the Royal Library on the castle grounds. She hadn't remembered just how large it was... So many books, it was overwhelming. It made her dizzy, just looking around at them all.

Which ones had she read before? What spell books had she studied? Did she have a favorite?

Oh, how were these books organized anyway? There were so many, it was hard to tell...

She grabbed one at random with a blue spine, setting it down on one of the nearby slanted podiums. She opened, quickly flipping each page in a whir. This one had a lot of words...

Opening to a random page, Luna stared down hard at the book. She tried looking at it intently with one eye, and then switched to the other. Maybe a spell...she didn't know any spells. She placed a front hoof on each side of the page. Then, with her right hoof, she ran it under a sentence, squinting her eyes as she followed along.

Frustrated, she pushed herself off the podium and slammed the book shut. Picking it up with her Unicorn telepathy, she whirled around, intending to toss the book across the large room. She made a half grunt, half yelling noise from the force of the throw, but as she turned and let go, she saw, to her horror, Celestia, just a few feet away. She gasped, but it was too late. She'd already let go, letting the sail through the air unhindered.

Luna winced as she heard the book smack into her sister, square in the chest.

The princess wondered how her younger sibling was doing, she had suggested the library but wondered if Luna had kept to her words and made the small trek to the room with its insurpassable amount of books and knowledge. It certainly would help her with her magic , that was a certainty, she just hoped her sister had the patience for it...because she herself never did when it came to the books.

Entering the library, she was a bit suprised when something deftly connected with her chest, feeling the weight of it, she assumed it to be a book and gently raised a hoof to rub the spot where it'd connected. Those books still smarted a lot, even now...but what in Equestria-

Blinking at her sister and the book now laying on the floor, she rose it from the ground with her powers and moved towards the night sky colored filly with a small smile on her muzzle.

"Having a hard time, huh?" She asked knowingly, a sympathetic expression on the older sister's face. She'd hated studying so much, it was so drawn out and boring and she...well...she'd have preffered being out and about.

There were two thumps, one as the book hit Celestia, and the other when the book hit the floor. Luna stood speechless for a moment, her mouth hanging open and her eyes wide. Coming to her senses, she stammered, "C-C-Celestia?! Are you alright?" She rushed over, even as Celestia moved her hoof to the spot. It looked mostly fine, perhaps a little reddened, though. Luna glanced at the book her sister offered to her. Celestia was seemingly fine, but Luna felt awful.

"Celestia! Celestia, I'm so sorry! I-I didn't even notice you there! Y-You're okay, right?"

Blinking at her little sister's worry, she smiled ever so faintly and nudged her sister's cheek with an affectionate air to her movements as she eye'd over the younger mare. Glancing briefly to the slightly reddened imprint the book had left, Celestia could only smirk in faint amusement at the shape. Celestia the book pelted princess.

Smiling to Luna she hushed her in gentle reassurance.

"Luna, Luna, I'm fine, don't worry little sister...a book can't hurt me that much and it was an accident."

Glancing to the book, she eye'd over the title and grimaced ever so slightly, oh dear, not that one. That one was a corker...looking to Luna she smiled softly.

"So...how's the study going?"

Of course it had been an accident, but a very foolish one...and somepony had gotten hurt this time. Luna was so foolish, and uselessâ€â€Âshe could never hope to be the ruler that Celestia was.

And she was still uncertain of her sister's condition, especially when Celestia grimacedâ€â€Âbut was that at the book, or because of sudden pain?

But she was thrown out of her concern by her sister's question. "Oh...uh...not very well at all." she blushed, embarrassed. "I was just considering leaving. There really are just far too many, er...books, here, far too many...and words, far too many of those too. I'm just not in the mood anymore."

Luna's face fell, and she scuffed a hoof against the ground.

Her sister's worry made her smile, she didn't like making her sister so worried over her actions because of....well....past times. Looking over the book as she settled it down on the stand, a small, thoughtful noise escaped her.

This was a very old book, perhaps a little too complicated for someone just fresh returned to magic though and with a soft flash, a few books soon flew from the shelves to rest upon the table the other book's stand was rested near. A few simpler books. A few more older and linguistic books aswell.

"Well if you want, we could study together? These dusty old tomes can get a little boring by yourself."

"Oh, well, I wouldn't want to trouble you!" Luna perked up at Celestia's suggestion. "I can manage just fine on my own, and anyway, I just told you I was planning on leaving. There's really no need for you to go to all that trouble. You really have far too much to do than to worry about me. Right? Don't you?" Luna grinned widely, even as her eyes were a dead giveaway that her smile was terribly fake. It wasn't that Luna didn't appreciate the help her sister offeredâ€â€Âquite the contrary, it was rather nice to get to spend some time with her sister, after being unable to for so long. But Luna harbored a secret that she couldn't keep forever, and she felt the time was drawing closer to when she'd have to reveal it to Celestia.

The fact her sister almost seemed a little eager aswell as reluctant to push her away from the studying, made Celestia just the tiniest bit curious and concerned. She knew her sister could hate her still...she was in every right too...but it seemed like she still wanted Celestia to stay. Something wasn't right...

Perking a brow she trotted a little closer to her younger sibling, looking over her with a faintly concerned expression.

"Is everything alright....?"

Luna felt her face grow hot as she blushed deeply. She pawed at the ground with a hoof nervously, glancing around the library even though there was nopony there except herself and Celestia. She felt her limbs lock and her chest tighten as she thought about what she had to say. Ever since she'd returned, the thought had lain heavy on her mindâ€â€Âbut she'd avoided it for as long as she could.

"Celestia..." Luna said, her voice shaking ever so slightly. "Celestia, I can'tâ€â€ÂI can't...can't remember how to read! Iâ€â€ÂI've tried, I really have. I thought it was just a phase and that I'd get over butâ€â€ÂIâ€â€ÂI still can't!"

Celestia patiently watched her sister for a moment, watching the heat flush over the filly's face until it welled up further and further, only to come as an outburst that caused the princess to blink in faint suprise at the other. She let this new knowledge sink in before a worried expression softly worked over the white mare's face and she took a few soft steps forward and rested her muzzle against Luna's in some attempt to calm her younger sister.

"Shhh shh Luna, Luna be calm...it will be alright....I'll help you, I promise I will."

"Celestia, it's just soâ€â€Âso embarrassing!" she flinched at her sister's touch, soft and comforting though it was. The truth was out now, something that Luna had kept hidden since her return. It just wasn't fair that she had to be at such a disadvantage. She had already lost a considerable amount of power after her defeat. She had no friends, barely any memoriesâ€â€Âshe felt like such a foal! Having to be babied and taught to read and write and perform magic again. She could have never imagined that a simple foolish act all those years ago would lead up to a life like this.

"I know you will." she said softly, nuzzling her sister. "But it's justâ€â€Â" she backed up a few paces, "â€â€Âit's just so hard!"

• 2 weeks later...

Smiling somewhat admirably at her little sister she was nuzzled before looking over the younger filly, ears flicking as she listened to the dark sky blue filly's plight as the stunning old mare herself patiently and respectfully remained quiet.

She didn't want to interupt anything Luna would want to get out and she was sure there was a lot the pony wanted to get out. But once she was done, the other took delicate steps forward and nodded.

"I know it's hard...but..we learnt to read and such together when we were younger...and you will again..." Trying to offer a soft, reassuring smile as she turned, hair softly wisping around her with every movement, before her horn started to glow and two small books floated from the higher shelf.

"But in this case it's just a fact of perking up your memories."

'But this is different now!' Luna gave an exasperated sigh. "I'm not a foal anymore! It's not fair!" she paused, considering her next words. This was Celestia's fault in the first place... banishing her for a thousand years, all alone... like she didn't even care.

But now she was being so nice. And, all things considered, it was more of Luna's fault... stupid, stupid, stupid. One little mistake had caused her a thousand years of a normal lifeâ€â€Âone free of pain and sorrow, and instead full of joy. But she had to go and mess things up. And all because of a simple mistake.

She watched Celestia move the two books from the shelf, and listened as she spoke. "Oh, I don't want to trouble you!" she said, her tone changing. "You've probably got lots to do. You don't need to worry about me. I'm fine here a-a-alone." she stammered on the last bit.

Watching her sister from the furthest of her peripheral vision, the word 'alone' struck a chord that made the older mare freeze up briefly. Book caught in mid air, it fell a good foot before her magic startfired once more and caught it before it smacked into the floor as she gave a soft and feeble sound.

Alone.

Her sister had been alone, completely, the isolation of so many years was a hard thing to weather...but...to be surrounded by ponies and slowly watch them wither and die. It made the mare resent her choices long ago.

Sighing through her nostrils she turned and offered a soft smile towards her younger sister.

"No, Luna, I have all the time in the world for you right now...." Placing the book down on the table she offered a firmer founded smile. "...Besides, I love spending time with my sister."

Watching her sister, Luna saw her words strike home. That had been what she'd wanted, right? Luna wasn't sure what it was that she wanted. She wanted her life back, she wanted things to go back to the way they'd been before...but knowing that that was an impossibility, it was difficult to decide exactly what to do now. She'd have to learn everything all over again...she wouldn't be able to bare anypony else knowing about her hindrances...but Celestia was so busy, she wouldn't be able to help all the time, and Luna couldn't study on her own.

Celestia's subjects needed her more than Luna did. She shouldn't be taking time out from her duties just to be with Luna. Sure, they were sisters... But Celestia had a royal duty. That should come first, shouldn't it? But Celestia said that she wanted to be with her sister. Celestia wouldn't lie to her...

Luna meekly smiled back, a sincere, small smile, but genuine none the less.

"Thank you, Celestia." Luna said, coming over to nuzzle her sister's chest, because that was as high as she could reach. She was delicate around the spot where the book had hit no long ago, knowing that it would probably still be sore.

• 2 weeks later...

A fond smile lit the older sister's lips as she nuzzled her sister in return, her chest did hurt, just a little though, it was quickly going away and she did enjoy any contact she could with her younger sibling. Nuzzles. Hugs. It all reassured her that her sister was indeed here in the flesh and wasn't just going to up and disapear into thin air...

She never wanted that.

Looking back over the books, a soft glow of her horn opened them up with a soft flick of their pages and she glanced back down to her sister with that same fond expression.

"You ready...?"

'I guess so.' Luna mumbled, tentatively making her way to the table and glancing over each book. Her ears slowly moved forward, drooping as she tried to make sense of anything. This really wasn't going to be easy.

Luna had never anticipated losing her memory once she came back. Everything seemed so new, and yet, she remembered it, somehow. Things she saw that she'd thought she'd seen before, but couldn't be sure. But Equestria had been expanded, so it was hard to recognize what had and hadn't been there before. And she couldn't study History books to try to find answers, because she could read in the first place. It was nice to be back, surely. But it was also rather bothersome.

• 4 weeks later...

The princess watched as her sister made her way to the table where she'd laid out the books, hiding the worry and concern behind a reassuring smile that had become plastered over her muzzle since Luna's confession and hadn't left since. She wanted Luna to feel happy and calm during this, if she stressed herself, she wouldn't want to learn anything.

And that wasn't on the solar princess's agenda one bit.

Making her way over with her sister, she raised a hoof to gently brush some of her multi colored, wispy hair back out of her face so she might see with both eyes instead of just one like most of the time. Honestly it was much easier when she was younger and this uncouth mane of hers was shorter.

That done, her eyes wandered over the books infront of her with a try at enthusiasm, she liked to learn, yes, but these books were so old and dusty it'd almost become a monotony to look at them sometimes. But it was for her sister.

And she loved her sister dearly.

"So, we have the recent history and such to look over, the new alliances and all that." Looking to Luna she offered a smile. "But it's a younger book so none of those boring large words that pony's have to twist their tongues to speak."

• 2 weeks later...

Luna glanced up as her sister came beside her, still unsure of her own abilities. She looked down at the book again, but staring at the words wasn't helping at all. Her ears moved from their droopy position as Celestia spoke. But Luna's head whipped around at her sister's comment.

“I speak fine, Celestia, as you can clearly see.†Luna said, with irritation in her voice. “It's just reading that I don't do so well.†Her tone changed on the last bit, to a calmer, quieter, and perhaps even sad, tone.