[Library] The Library[ENDED]

Zeph

Angel couldn't help but blush lightly at the sound of Inkwell's voice. she knew he saw that little spasm... she could feel it in her body. "...you saw that, didn't you?" why did she feel so nervous? Angel has never felt like this before... at least not to this extreme. she felt like a fish out of water, except that oxygen and death seem to have been replaced by embarrassment and shame.

"...let's go look at that book of yours..." the mare nodded slowly, hoping it would change the subject. the unicorn took a quick scan of the room to locate a table to sit on. I'm losing it... she thought as she trotted towards the table. Angelcake was once known as the perfect bounty hunter, never to have failed a mission, feared by all, friends and foes alike. but in this world, where peace and friendship flourished, Angel was nothing but a socially awkward pony with- "oof!" she faced down. it was a pile of the many books that rested on the ground. how did she not sense that? now not only was she awkward, but klutzy and distracted as well. at least that's what she thought at the moment.

Inkwell gave Angelcake a slight nod, hopefully slight enough that the librarian didn't see anything. Angel was quick to change the subject, though, and suggested looking at that Divination book. He gave her a smile and set it down on the nearest table, tucked away in a corner of the library. Just as soon as he was about to sit down and look at the table of contents, though, he heard a crash, and turned to see Angel sprawled out over an errant book pile.

"Oh dear. Um, need a hoof?" he asked her. She probably wouldn't want one now, since it would only humiliate her further to depend on somepony else's help, but he couldn't just leave her there.

ShadowMist had turned away, since the two seemed to be finding everything alright. She was putting away a pile of books, having already organized them into several piles according to the letter the title started with. It made putting them away easier, having to not run from shelf to shelf constantly.

But when she saw Angelcake, she rushed over. "Are you alright?" she asked.

She had intended to let the other two ponies be, but she wasn't about to just stand by when somepony had hurt themselves. Who would?

there she was,laying on the ground on top of a pile of books... could this day make her feel any more embarrassed with herself? both ponies in the room definitely saw this event. the unicorn huffed and almost immediately stood up on all fours. her face easily showed how disappointed she was with herself. "...I'm fine...thank you..." Angel muttered as she dragged herself towards the table where Inkwell sat.

once the mare had a seat, she gave ShadowMist a nod, signifying that she was better now, and did not need to worry anymore. Angel then let out a sigh. "...ugh... what a day..." she groaned, her eyes facing towards the general direction of where Inkwell was sitting.

In the meantime, Inkwell gently dropped the book on the table and opened it. The pages were quite thin, so the book turned out to have more content than he thought it would.

He decided to take a look at the page he opened it on, and almost immediately regretted doing so. He couldn't make heads or tails of the text on the page; half of it was written in magical jargon that he'd never seen before in his life. He couldn't even tell what sort of spell it was referring to. "Oh dear, I'm in over my head," he admitted. "I don't suppose you could help clear some things up for me, Angel?"

ShadowMist watched as Angelcake walked away, glancing over her to make sure that she was truly alright. She levitated the stack of books and placed it a bit closer to one of the shelves, so that it would hopefully be out of the way. Then she went back to work, putting away book after book. These two ponies were causing her work ethic to suffer, she grumbled to herself. But it wasn't their fault. After all, this WAS a public library, it was just that nopony in town ever seemed to treat it so.

ShadowMist was always surprised that the library could get so messy in just a day. There weren't all that many books there, yet Twilight Sparkle seemed to always need something out of each and everyone of them. That was an exaggeration, but when she had first come in it looked as if half the library had been torn apart. Didn't that pony know how to clean up after herself?

Although, come to think of it, the pony HAD grown up in Canterlot. There was probably somepony assigned to cleaning up the royal library.

As usual, ShadowMist quickly became lost in thought as she replaced spaces between books with more books.

• 2 weeks later...

Angel blinked softly. help? sounds like a rather complicated book. well, at least she could try. with a nod, the unicorn's horn began to glow a feint scarlet as she activated her vision spell. seconds later, the letters within the book glowed white. images of words soon passed through Angel's mind. "...my... these are very complicated spells... very powerful as well..." the mare nodded to Inkwell. no doubt there spells were hard, for she remembered seeing a few of these during her training in the Defense Force.

"...like this one..." the glow vanished from part of the text, leaving a paragraph highlighted for the colt to see. "...it lets you see into the future..." Angel removed her spell and the paragraph returned to its original ink-black color. "...you might have a hard time with this book..."

Inkwell tried to look over the book one more time, but he felt his eyes glazing over just looking at the various scientific-looking symbols in the book. He didn't even know what half these words meant! Synchronicity? Thaumaturgy? It didn't mean anything to him. He ended up pushing the book away and snapping it shut. "Ohhhhh, my head. On second thought, I think I'll just stick to drawing for the night," he told Angel, looking a bit abashed. "That at least I can comprehend."

He got out the book with the most references to exotic creatures' anatomy and began flipping through it, finding a rather excellent illustration of dragon musculature. With that image in his mind, he opened his sketchbook to the first blank page and began a process he liked to call "eyetracing," wherein he would try to copy a drawn image onto paper by sight alone. He'd gotten pretty good at it.

• 1 month later...