Looking for love in all the wrong places. [ENDED]

"Oh my my MY, but standards have declined since my day", Glow smirked, first surveying the crowd in the ballroom, and now making her way towards the Lover's Bridge to entice some lucky stallion into spending the evening with her. "Look at the ordinary dresses on these mares. No glitter, no glamour. They would have been laughed from the party had this been a premiere party when I was still a star".

She slowly made her way through the somewhat secluded alcove, every one of the thousands of blue-green sequins of her dress glittered in the moonlight. Every chartreuse leaf accent on her dress was lit by the light of a firefly, just adding to the glitter. Glow didn't realize it, but her dress was a generation's worth of years out of style. She she looked completely absurd.

She struck what she thought was a provocative pose under a tree and waited for the stallions to come running to the "mysterious and aloof" unicorn.

{{{{{{Note from Scotchie, feel free to knock the *****'s ego down a few pegs, she's a cougar, a tease and a has-been that never actually was.}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Glow looked around in a huff. "None of these stallions have even so much as GLANCED at me", she thought. "They must know I out-class them".

She undid a small section of her dark blue mane and moved it over her eye in an attempt to be alluring. "I knew I should have shown up later. The stallions here are mere CHILDREN". She continued to stand apart from the crowd and silently judge them, from their dresses, to their pelt colors, to their choice of dates. Nothing escaped her scorn.

Another hour passed, and Glow was getting impatient. Did these stallions not have any taste? She put on her most languidly bored demeanor and amused herself by placing fireflies in more flattering positions.

Nearby, two lovelorn, and notably SINGLE fillies were singing. "Oh I do WISH they would stop their caterwauling". She rolled her eyes at a clearly established couple who seemed way too excited to be there. "Rubes."

She watched stallions go by, ignoring her, and made herself feel better via internal dialogue, cataloging the reasons why they were inadequate anyway.

"Pelt and mane clash"

"My what a HORRIBLE cutie Mark"

"Looks like a loser"

"Too plump"

"Too old"

"Oh he IS handsome, but his colors would not complement mine, not at all"

Monty was decked out in his best formal attire, a brown tuxedo and a creme coloured shirt with a red bow-tie. The jacket and shirt matched his stripes perfectly but the bow tie clashed beyond all belief and that was why he loved it. It was much like his mane which was styled in a permanent Mohawk.

After entering the gala through the front gate and taking in all the spectacle of the pomp and circumstance Monty had decided to wander around for a bit to see all of the Castle's grounds. It was not often that he would ever have the chance to see them again. The soft sounds of singing in the distance wafted on the breeze and struck his ears, he flicked them. He looked about trying to find the source but could only see an older mare standing awkwardly underneath a tree, her form was highlighted by slightly glowing dots. He chuckled to himself as he walked over.

After inspecting her dress for a moment he asked, 'How in Equestria did you get those things to stay put for you? Did you glue them on?' He then looked up at the mare. 'And doesn't standing like that hurt you neck?' he asks. 'Oh my, where /are/ my manners. Monty's the name!' He said extending a hoof to shake as he smiled widely which caused his right ear to flop over.

Glow sighed as the only stallion who was prepared to pay her attention to her all night approached. "What does this Stripey Nightmare want?", she thought, glancing first from his coat, to his insane hairdo, and the cherry on top, almost quite literally, a big bowtie.

He reminded her of that creepy Zecora lady she'd seen in her hometown of Ponyville a few times lately, a foreigner. Only substantially less creepy; this clown couldn't even scare that ridiculously timid yellow pegasus back home.

Still, attention is attention, and she had been standing here by herself such an awfully long time now. She sighed, mustered her most charming smile and and answered his rather blunt, and in her opinion rude, questions.

"Why, hello there Sir Monty", she purred, "it is fabulous to make the acquaintance of such a dapper gentleman, with such unusual and unique *ahem* style. My name is Glow. As for my luminescent friends , I merely ask them in such a manner, and they oblige." to illustrate for the zebra, the tip of her horn flashed a few times, and the fireflies left their posts and swirled around her horn. A few more flashes and they returned to the sequinned leaves on her dress. "And I have no idea what you mean about my neck hurting, sir, I've always held my head with grace the way my childhood acting coaches instructed me"

Now that he wasn't staring at her dress, she had to look up to speak to him, her eyes almost level with the bow tie she found ever so horrible.

"Are you enjoying your time at the Gala?"

Monty lowered his hoof the mare obviously didn't want to shake hooves. He chuckled at her saying Sir in front of his name before listening intently as Glow illustrated how she communicated with fireflies. She then proceeded to explain why she was standing in such an awkward manner. He shuffled back a little back so that he would not have to look down to speak with her. Judging personal space was not one of Monty's strong suits, although most ponies did not seem to mind.

He whistled before replying, 'That is a neat trick you got there! I wish I could do fancy stuff like that! All I have is my stripes and my bow-tie here.' After the straightened it and smiled again, his ear flopping over. 'Oh and my mane!' he ran a hoof through it and it bristled right back into place. 'I can never seem to get it to behave, ponies say it is because of my wild nature!'

Answering her last question, 'Yes the Gala seems to be a fun time for all! I mean just look at the crowds at the door, and have you seen the buffet!! There are even some Zebra dishes!!'

His mind skipped a little. 'OHH you're an actress?! That seems like a really fun job! What shows have you starred in? Can you sing?? I've never met an actress before!'

He was being very friendly towards the mare, ladies always love to talk about themselves and he was giving her lots of opportunity. He pondered why he had never seen her on stage before, he did love to watch theater.

"Interesting, very interesting", thought Glow "For all this joker's uncouth appearance, he clearly understands that as a charmingly beautiful lady, naturally the conversation should center around me".

She of course, gave his comments about his wild nature, and his mane the merest nod. She simply didn't care. She just wanted to get to the part about HER! "Oh yes, the food is simply divine, even the more, um, rustic dishes." She paused for breath before she launched into her life's story. She hadn't told it in so long that she wanted no interruptions.

"It all started when I was a mere foal, really. My sire and dam recognized my talents at a very early age, so naturally they wanted to see me appear on the stage, with my name in LIGHTS!

(((Narrator Scotchie here: This continues in this vein for quite some time. The short version, and the only details that are important (and not embellished by Glow's propensity to remember the past as this magical sparkly place where the entire land of Equestria adored her): She was born in Manehattan. She was an actress as a child, and was small and cute enough to do it for far longer than her age should have allowed (think Shirley Temple-esque career, but on the stage only, and popularity limited to Manehattan, really), and then Equestria's taste in little precocious girl stars changed from dark and almost sickly to curly, chubby and pink...a 20's to 30's dynamic. Since then she has forced/bullied her way into various community theater productions, until they made her stop, and nobody as asked her back yet. I have to fix a work crisis so will add more details in here when I am done.)))

She continued on, almost breathlessly, only pausing to make sure his attention had not flagged,

Oh, but of course attending the theater is *nothing* like the glamorous occasion of my youth. Everything just seems so *common* these days. The audience no longer in formal wear, the music popular and crass, oh and the tripe that counts for acting... It was just all too much to bear, so I withdrew from the stage at the top of my game and have lived the simple life in Ponyville until I finally am passed a script that is worth putting my efforts into". She smiled a little, somewhat sadly, and flashed her horn . "Of course, my name will always be in lights", she added, as the fireflies coalesced above her head, spelling her name.

Monty kept his eyes wide and bobbed his head along with the story Glow was weaving. He interjects an 'Ohh' or 'Ahum' every so often so that he seems interested in Glow's ramblings.

'How. . .How can she talk for this long and not breathe!!' he thought to himself. He watched her mouth move but after a while all he could hear was a drone that matched her vocal tone.

One of his eyebrows went up about halfway through when she looked to be slowing down but was just ramping up for the second half. When she had finished Monty was almost surprised he thought that she would go on until the Gala had finished. Monty briefly contemplated bolting as soon as she had finished. He was watching her face –

'Wait what was that? Was that a pang of sadness. Yes I saw it even if it was for a split second, it was there, unmistakable. . .' Monty thought as Glow made her insect friends flash out her name.

He began to rethink his initial impression of the mare. She may have come across as a bit . . . well pretty much completely self centered and insipid, but there was more to it. Years of interacting with ponies from all walks of life had afforded Monty with a keen sense of other ponies feelings.

Monty brayed at the spelling of her name, not wanting to make it to obvious that he saw her sadness.

'That right there is a pretty neat trick!! When it comes to magic I am completely lost.' He smiled and his ear flopped over. 'And I do have to agree that the theater is not what it used to be, I mean I don't remember the golden days, but some of the pictures and stories it sounds amazing.'

She was a little out of breath when she was done with her story.

Monty brayed. "My sweet Celestia what was that godawful noise!?" she thought to herself, and let her face show it for less than half a second.

She flashed the "return" command to the fireflies that she had brought with her to try to regain her feigned polite composure.

As this zebra's reward, she decided, she would show a little interest. He made it this far, and she wasn't quite ready to part his company. "So, what brings you to the Gala, and in particular this garden?"

Trotting through the grass BlindJester felt at ease after she took off those annoying shoes that made her feel as if she was walking on stilts. She basked in the moonlight and took a deep breathe of the night air as enjoying the outdoors. 'I hope there are other ponies around here so I won't feel totally bored' as soon as she finished that thought she heard a conversation going on and was excited to finally have other ponies to talk to after all.

BlindJester ran towards the voices hearing them grow louder and louder as she drew closer but then things went silent 'Shoot can't loose em now!' running faster to where she heard the voices last. Even though it was against her better judgement to run in unfamiliar places afraid she might mow some pony down but she didn't care this time Jessy just needed and wanted company, she got her wish but not in the way she'd like. She accidentally ran into what felt like a Mare, after running into a couple of ponies Jessy learned what Mares and Stallions feel like. "I'm uh sorry Miss I heard you talking and I wanted to come join you and I sorta just blindly ran into you" laughing at her blind joke she hoped she didn't injure the other pony.

Before Monty could answer, Glow was jarred by a collision by another pony, which dislodged her fireflies and sent them flying for the dewy grass below the bridge. "Well EXCUSE you! Somepony needs to look where she's going!" cried Glow savagely, not noticing that the orange pegasus could not, in fact, see where she was going at all. The pony tried to laugh it off, but Glow was infuriated. "I don't know WHAT your problem is, but you'd better scram", she hissed, looking at dismay at the scattering of sequins littering the grass where BlindJester collided with her, and then assessing the damage to her dress. "Some Ponies!"

After a few more moments of huffing and fussing over her dress, Glow finally turned to the pegasus to tell her off. It was then that she noticed BlindJester's eyes.

She looked at Monty, mouth agape, expecting him to soothe the situation and cover up her faux pas.

Monty chuckled as the younger mare plowed into Glow. He even chuckled at the obviously blind mare's self deprecating joke. He watched the fireflies scatter and Glow get into a fit of the huffs. He was content to watch the interaction. If there was something that Monty enjoyed it was watching to mares get huffy and act indignantly towards one another, he found it amusing. There was an ulterior motive to his next statement though, not just his playful side showing.

'No my dear Glow. I think you were going to holler at the blind mare that just bumped into you. Shouldn't you treat her as you would treat any other mare that bumps into you? Just because she is blind does not make her special does it?' He said.

Then turning to the blind mare, 'I mean no offense of course.'

He let his words sink in for a moment before setting into his intended course of action.

'Now Miss Glow if you had just acted politely when she bumped into you, you may have saved yourself from sticking your hoof in your mouth. If you treated everypony with the same amount of respect, this problem would have never arisen. How abouts this, lets all start over. That way we can be properly introduced.' he said in a practiced almost diplomatic tone.

After a pause he said, 'I am sure that Miss Glow is sorry for her rudeness towards you and meant no insult by it. My name is Monty, pleased to meet 'cha.'

He looked over expectantly at Glow for her controbution.

"He may look goofy, but this Zebra sure has my number. Maybe he's not as dumb as I thought he was." thought Glow, cringing inwardly, not that she would ever admit that to ANYPONY. Like a foal who's been caught in some wrongdoing, and is forced to apologize, she faced the pegasus, head down and said, "I am dreadfully sorry for my rudeness, you just surprised me, that's all"

"I can't believe this young whippersnapper of a Zebra just did that to me. He'll pay for that.." she continued on her internal rant. " DID I JUST REFER TO HIM AS A WHIPPERNAPPER? What IS wrong with me tonight?"

BlindJester flinched at the harsh tone in the older mare's voice obviously the joke didn't fly so well with her and Jessy probably made it worse she dipped her head in the mare's direction "I'm quite sorry for my foolishness I just got ahead of myself" sounding sincerely. Then heard the other voice speak talking about how this is how the Mare always treats others, for some reason Jessy relaxed knowing that she didn't get a special first impression present from the Glow. BlindJester was even more shocked at Glow's apology and felt it wasn't necessary.

"Don't worry, even if I could see I'd still be a klutz" laughing again in hopes to lighten the mood "I'm BlindJester by the way I'm a comedian by night, miserably klutz of a waitress by day. It's amazing I'm still employed actually" thinking back to when she first began and all the dishes she broke "But anyway it's nice to meet you Mister Monty, and Madam Glow the prickly mare" she giggled

Monty shifted his gaze from Glow, satisfied with her apology, to the new mare, Jessy. He laughed with her at the jokes she told and privately smiled as she called Glow prickly, 'A rather fitting description at first glance.' he muses to himself. He liked this mare, Monty always liked a good joke.

'Pleased to meet 'cha Miss Jester!' he said exuberantly after she introduced herself.

He was genuinely interested by the blind mare waiting tables. He pondered it in his head for a moment, he really couldn't figure out she would manage that. 'If she was a unicorn she could use her magic horn to do . . . something. . .I don't know its magic, but she is a Pegasus. How can she carry plates and find the tables, memory can only take you so far.' he thought before deciding to ask her about it, she seemed rather open and outgoing.

'If you don't mind me asking. How do you manage to wait tables, I can see you being a comedian, but a waitress? I just cant wrap my noggin around that.' he asked in a polite tone.

"I don't mind your asking at all!" she exclaimed as seeing as she was a Pegasus and was blind so it'd only make sense that some ponies don't understand how she does her job. "Well I carry the plates and drinks on my back and my wings since they are pretty strong from being held up all the time they can carry quite a bit of weight" laid in the grass to get comfortable not minding that her dress will get dirty "And I memorized the whole layout of the place so I know where the food go an also just in case I get confused the owners were nice enough to put special shapes per table you know table four to them would be table star to me." Jessy stopped to think if she missed anything but was sure that's all she needed to explain.

"Now it's time you answer my question Mister Monty" smiling in his general direction "Are you and Miss Prickle puss I mean Miss Glow together or what and what do you do to get by?"

Monty stifled a hearty laugh with a hoof as Jessy asked if he and Glow were together. It would not have been polite to laugh but he could not help it.

'No, no, Miss Jester. I have just recently met Miss Glow here while I was admiring her dress. She had it dotted with fire-flies, and it just intrigued me so.' Monty replied glancing over at Glow to see if she was still fuming about being made to apologize.

'Actually I have lead an interesting and varied life, despite its brevity. I left my Homeland and shipped out with an air-ship as a chef but after about five years of that I decided to settle down in Hoofington and open up a surplus shop.' After telling his story he produced a business card and sliped it into Jessy's mane.

"I'm sure Miss Glow is quite the gorgeous mare and you're missing out on something special" she talked in a very girly and uppity fashion. Wondering if Glow would appreciate the compliment or just think she was patronizing her Jessy shrugged it off either way it's not a dull moment with these two and she doesn't want to leave them alone quite yet. "A surplus shop huh? that sounds pretty interesting . . . . wait what did you just put in my mane?" puzzled at the stallion's random gesture.

BlindJester remembered that Monty said something about fireflies on Glow's dress "How did she get fireflies on her dress? Didn't it burn the dress off since they are FIREflies unless I picture them wrong....." since Jessy couldn't see she had her own images of what things might look like and to her fire flies were little balls of flames that come out at night.

"Why that little cheeky...", Glow fumed inwardly as "Prickly? PRICKLY? Moi?".

"That blind pegasus had the NERVE to ask is someone like Glow was *involved* with a hopeless case that the fashion police should take away right now such as Money? These insults could not go unpunished." She stood there plotting her revenge as they chatted about, in her opinion, the dull, ordinary mundanities of their lackluster lives. She would show them. She would show EVERYONE that she was not to be trifled with. As visions of Equestrian Domination flashed through her head, she caught the mare's EXTREMELY patronizing imitation, of what she could only assume was supposed to be her. She opened her mouth to say something, thought better of it and closed it again.

She just stood there with narrowed eyes.

'That was a business card Miss Jester, although I am not sure of what good it may do you, but if you are ever in Hoffington you should stop by!' he said pondering how a blind pony could ever read. 'She will have somepony read it to her, thats it!' he surmised. His eyes darted over to Glow when she opened her mouth wondering if she would like to be part of the conversation. He felt bad for leaving her out. '. . .Burn her dress. . .?' he questioned himself, then the full force of the question or joke hit him. He laughed, not able to stifle it this time and ended with a bray. For some reason the mare's interpretation of the world struck him as funny. Perhaps it was because she took the very mundane and 'saw' it in a completely different light.

'You have an interesting way of looking at the world for a blind mare.' he replied. 'Fireflies are small insects that have a glowy rump, they light up ever so often calling out to their friends with their lights. And Miss Glow had positioned them all over her shiny dress to highlight her form. It was quite a sight to see.' Monty continued.

'Surplus shops may be interesting, but Miss Glow here is an actress!' he interjected trying to get Glow re-involved in the conversation, even if it was going to get her to soliloquies the unabridged version of her life and times.

Jessy looked in Glow's general direction with a look of astonishment on her face "An actress huh? How lovely I'm sure you were a DOLL on screen" slightly bowing to her "I'm surprised to meet a mare such as yourself today must be my lucky day" she took the card out of her mane and put it in her dress pocket.

"Do tell me about your career as a actress Miss Glow." she asked quite intrigued "Have you ever had an famous affair? How many ponies have you met? Do you plan on doing more acting?" the questions came out like waterfall over a cliff, fast and endless.

"The screen? THE SCREEN? Why I was an actress of the THE-A-TER" she grumped. These were the most crass ponies she had encountered in awhile. Of course, they were the only ponies she had encountered in awhile. Her current job of lighting Ponyville's firefly lanterns kept her isolated from anypony but the late-night wanderers.

She continued to glower for the space of a few breaths more before perking up at BlindJester's almost hero-worshippy, in her opinion, questions.

"Oh affairs! You would not BE-lieve who the press paired me up with during my heyday! Rocky Vandercolt of The Stable Affair, Widowmaker of Rainbow in the Dark and even, she chuckled at the memory and how scandalized her parents were, as a young filly, "Young Buck Lucky from Rodeo Story".

But those were better times, more glamorous times. What passes for "entertainment" today is just too-too, " she affected a shiver for emphasis, " common! I am holding out until my agent hands me a script worth putting my talents into."

Monty laughed at the talk of affairs and flings. Monty always loved reading the tabloids and gossip rags. He even rather enjoyed reading trashy romance novels, although he would not admit that openly to anypony. He listened intently to who the tabloids paired her with.

'Oh those must have been some scandals, especially Young Buck Lucky!' he joked nudging her with his shoulder in a playful manner.

'So while your agent scours all of Equestria for a script that is worth your talent, what do you do in the mean time? You have to do something to keep busy.' Monty added after a pause looking at the two mares.

"Or are you set for life and just sit out on your veranda and sip mint juleps in the sun." he continued with a chuckle imagining what Glow would look like in a floppy sun hat and glasses lounging in the sun.

"What an unlikely combination we have here." Monty remarked, "An actress, a waitress, and a surplus dealer walk into a bar . . ." He laughed at his own bad joke.

[Continued from [Canterlot Castle] Visiting the Buffet]

Hank wandered out of the buffet and reached up to straighten his hat. What a disaster that had been! A pony was gonna starve at this place if he didn't find something soon! Surely there were some of those free-stands around he'd thought he had heard of. Maybe this was the place. The rustler prowled around the premises looking for one of those stands when he came across the gathering of ponies around the once-starlet and her fireflies. "Well, maybe she's the one that's got the food or something. But what a crowd!" he licked his lips in anticipation. "I hope this means it's some good-tootin' food, not like that frou-frou stuff from the buffet!"

Though he was completely oblivious to what was going on, or what was being discussed, having been a newcomer. So he hadn't caught all of the unusual conversations or comings and goings on, but there sure were a number of unusual ponies around. Was that a Zebra? High Galootin', what was a Zebra doing here? And chattin' up that lady pony like they were best friends! His ears swung this way and that, and his mustache tried its best to pass any possible smells of food to his nose, when suddenly a gust of wind caught his hat and blew it straight off his head!

"Wow that's amazing Miss Glow! /YOU'RE/ amazing I'm so happy to have met you I can't wait to share with others how I met /THE/ Glow." she pawed at the ground with excitement flowing through her like electricity. Jessy continued to listen to Glow go on about her affairs and what she has in stored for the future, she heard Monty ask what does she do in the meantime while waiting for her agent. Jessy wondered the same thing if the actress doesn't act at the moment what does she do in all her spare time surely not just lounge around that's to boring for someone as spicy as her. As Jessy waited for an answer her ears started to twitch picking up some random pony talking but she ignored it until she heard the sound of a hat flying off 'Uh oh that doesn't sound to good I would be very upset if I lost my hat I better help'

She politely excused herself and flew off grabbing the hat before she lost it in the hustle and bustle of the Gala. Jessy landed listening out for the poor pony who lost their hat "Excuth me" she mumbled around the hat "Buth whosth hath is thish"