[Cactus Cat] Saguaro [WIP]

BaconofChaos

[ Creature - Cactus Cat ]

Name: Saguaro

Sex: Male

Species: Cactus Cat

Eye Color: Amber

Physique & Colors: Saguaro appears to be a large cat (slightly small than the average adult pony), covered in long, red spines. His coat is a greyish brown, with dark brown spots

Residence: Painted Pinto Desert

Occupation: None. Saguaro mostly lives off the land, when not taking hand-outs from ponies.

Likes: Friendly ponies, anything pony-made; especially hats, cactus juice, balls of twine (he is a cat after all)

Dislikes: Diamond Dogs, Vultures, Thunder and Lightning

Character Summary: Born and raised in the Painted Pinto Desert like most cactus cats, Saguaro lived a simple life of hunting and drinking cactus juice. The eldest of a litter of four, Saguaro was the first to leave his family to strike out on his own. Simple survival in the wastelands was not enough for him though. Running from wild dogs was no fun. He felt like he needed a true purpose in life.

He found that purpose when not too long ago the Appleoosans began making their settlement. Intrigued by the sudden influx of colourful creatures he had never seen before, Saguaro began watching the ponies from afar. He loved their brightly coloured coats and manes, the designs of their clothes, the architechture of the buildings, and when he got in close even the way they spoke. They weren't anything like the boring old buffello tribes, or those smelly diamond dogs. They were fascinating.

He debated whether or not to introduce himself to the settler ponies. He had already seen how poorly they got on with the nearby buffello, though he suspected that probably not the fault of the ponies themselves, who seemed friendly enough with each other. The descision was made for him, however, when he noticed a small group of foals out in the middle of the desert. He didn't know what they were doing but it was clear that they had been out in the sun too long and had not come prepared. He knew he had to help them, so he pulled them into the shade and found them some water. They were incredible grateful to him (though he had to refuse the hugs. Impaling those you have just rescued is bad form). Aparantly they had decided to explore the desert in the hopes of finding their "cutie marks" which would give them their purposes in life. Saguaro was amazed that such a thing was possible, but he certainly sympathised with the young ones. A purpose in life was important. He helped them get back to town and to their parents, who had been worried sick. When the foals told their parents about the "friendly spikey kitty" that saved them he was given several gifts: some food, a genuine "cowpony" hat, and a declaration that he was an honourary citizen of Appleoosa, welcome to stay and go as he pleased. He had never been so happy.

Nowadays he still lives just outside of town, never really feeling comfortable living inside buildings, but often joins the ponies for town events, and he always keeps an eye open for ponies who would attempt to brave the desert unprepared, just in case. He helps out in various ways about the town, mostly lending his survival skills to explorers, prospectors, or cartographers in the area. As a hobby, he collects pony-made objects; horseshoes, tools, furniture, and so on. He loves Appleoosan fashion, though due to his spines he can only wear hats, of which he has quite a collection. He generally wears a different one each day, though he wears his "hero hat" (as the local foals have dubbed it) more often than most. He frequently wears a pair of round, dark glasses too, more due to liking the style than any need to keep the sun out of his eyes.

Saguaro is a very friendly cat, loves to chat with anyone about anything, and will always lend a helping paw to anyone in need.

Notes: Cactus Cats have been on the approved species list for a while, but no one had apped one before. Seeing a chance to do something unique (Hipster points! Lol) as well as get myself a character for adventure-type RPs I figured I'd put this together. I wasn't too sure what to do for Cactus Cat culture (something I guess we could discuss in the Suggestions section) so I kinda made them... I dunno, wilder, than other creatures? Griffins have cities, buffello have tribes, Cactus Cats are nomadic I guess. They hunt for food and drink cactus juice (and acording to Wikipedia get drunk off it) and... I dunno what else. Hence the [WIP] tag. If anyone has any ideas feel free to post.

Hey there! Really sorry to do this, but Cactus Cat's weren't supposed to be on the Species List once we changed boards. Meow made that post, and I guess she must have missed when it was decided not to have Cactus Cat's, or Jackalopes, as playable characters. Those were two creatures Ashi had put on the list, and it was felt that they didn't really fit into the RP world of FiM. I guess none of the other staff noticed that those two creatures were still on the list until now. So, once again, apologies, but thank you for bringing this to the attention of the staff. The species list has been updated so this unfortunate mishap doesn't happen again.

You can still use this character in the Crossovers section though!