[Cloudsdale] Wonderdate

Windwright

Soarin' stood dumbfounded again. That wasn't...'Grow up?' From Spitfire, of all ponies...Sure, any other pony and he'd just chalk it up to not knowing him. But Spitfire? No. No! He wasn't gonna stand for that.

He spread his wings and set his jaw defiantly, then took off and started following Spitfire. She was probably going home, he'd been there often enough to know where it was unless the city got shuffled around. She was flying at an easy pace to match, so it didn't take long for him to catch up. He knew better than to talk, though. He might not be able to keep his voice calm, and he knew etter than to make a scene. He wasn't some little foal, he wasn't. And he wouldn't cry either. He was a Wonderbolt! Wonderbolts don't cry.

Wonderbolts keep their composure and dignity no matter what the odds are. No matter how bad they mess up. And no matter what anypony else says. Even if that pony is Spitfire.

• 1 month later...

Spitfire took a deep breath, holding it in as she calmed her mind. She breathed out with a sigh, staring ahead at the clouds and trying to take her mind off things. She glided along, flapping her wings to keep the pace and remain airborn. That is, until she saw a flash of blue out of the corner of her eye.

She glanced sideways, just to be sure. Yep, it was Soarin'. She turned her nose up at him, apparently refusing to acknowledge his presence. But after just a few moments, she looked down, a second before she dove into the cloud cover, disappearing from view.

• 2 weeks later...

The flight had cleared his head somewhat, but he was still a little distracted when Spitfire ducked into a cloud and out of sight. When he noticed, though, he immediately landed and cast about for her for a moment. Really, there were only a hoofful of places she'd be going, and the arena they trained in was the other direction from the theatre, so he could easily fly to her flat and wait for her there, but...well, she was making clear that he wasn't wanted, at least for the moment, and he could always talk to her before practice tomorrow. Them doing so wasn't anything unusual, they were co-captains after all.

Soarin' sat and thought for a moment. He hated this. He had probably done something stupid, but couldn't figure out what. Sure he'd gone into this a little half-cocked, but wasn't that always how he did things? If it wasn't a routine, anyway, no way to do those half-cocked, somepony could get hurt. Of course somepony was getting hurt now, though Soarin' couldn't shake the feeling that it wasn't just him in pain. In fact, it seemed more likely the more he thought.

"Spitfire?" He calls out, not really expecting a response. They were pretty far from most other pegasi, though, so he could probably risk saying it out loud. "Listen, I'm not sure how I messed up, but I'm pretty sure I hurt you. I don't want that, any more than I want to end things with you thinking I'm just some stupid foal. You of all ponies should know that. All of it. I'm not so good with words unless they're about flying or performing...I guess...I just wanted to say I'm sorry."

He stands up and turns around, then dives off the side of the cloud and wings around toward his own apartment.