[Sweet Apple Acres] Sweet Apple... Lemons? (no more players)

WillowWisp

((lol mane, wisp is black, but her mane is blue. -wink- ))

Wisp was a little surprised that Applejack was so open and friendly, even telling her family stories. Sure they weren't anything like deep, deep dark secrets, but then again Big Mac may not want others knowing he helped in the kitchen. All and all though, she was just taken back by the immediate kindness and welcoming nature of the other mare. She was too use to other ponies keeping their distance due to her natural eerie atmosphere.

'Well I didn't think I would bring so many guests,' she laughed lightly at that. After all it was right after she showed up that the others appeared as well. 'So if there is anything I can do, even if it's just carrying plates or something, I'd like to help.'

The black Unicorn snickered lightly, as Applejack mentioned that failed batch of cookies. Though she had admit doughiness wasn't so bad. At least it wasn't mixing up the sugar and salt. She'd been there before... well the taste tester... when he aunt messed up a new recipe.

'You caught him wearing your-' she cut off as the collision took place. Wisp lucky hadn't been caught up in the whole mess but that meant she was just left staring.

'Ah, everyone okay there...' trotting over she wanted to offer a hoof if needed. But seeing Skye she just arched a brow. 'A deer? No...wait... deer aren't blue... ah! Those are in my books of other creatures... let's see... A Peryton... right?'

All Big Macintosh could see was a straw bale barreling across the ground towards him with Braeburn, head down behind it. He back up a step or two as Braeburn's bale rammed into the on he'd just place and Braeburn did a somersault onto the bales. Big Macintosh smirked at his energetic cousin.

'You sure know how to use your head cousin, E'Yup.' Big Macintosh stated bluntly, while giving off a slight chuckle. Big Macintosh helped his cousin off the bails and to his feet and set the bales into place around the table. Big Macintosh nodded his head with approval and smiled.

'Let's see now, table's almost set...' Big Macintosh glanced around. Noticing an small wooden bucket on the ground near the table and also some daisies growing nearby, a delightful idea pop into his head. He picked up the bucket in his mouth and knocked it against the tree to get the dirt off of it. Setting it down for a moment, he snatched up a mouth full of daisies by the stems and then placed them into the bucket. He then picked up the bucket-o-daisies and placed into the center of the picnic table. Thar, that make a might fine center piece, he though to himself proudly.

Looking at the daisies, he then remember that he was going to help Applejack with getting the lunch together. 'Well Braeburn, let's go see what's keepin' AJ.' He said plainly to his cousin, hoping Braeburn wouldn't comment on his decorating. As He trotted towards the barn he called out the the Pegasus mare, 'You look like you want to lend a hoof, I'm sure we can find sumthin' for ya.' Big Macintosh past her with a smile. He was always able to tell when somepony wanted to help out.

As he rounded the barn, Big Macintosh saw figures suddenly in front of him. He barely had time to stop, and even bumped into one of them. Having more time to access the situation, he had bumped into Willow Wisp. AJ was just in front of Willow helping, from what Big Macintosh could tell, was a deer with wings.

'Ah, sorry Miss Wisp, E'Yup. Didn't think AJ would be taking this long.' He gave a sly smirk at AJ. 'So we havin' more guests for lunch?'

Apparently, Skye's polite manners didn't do much to save the day as he ended up a tangled mess of limbs, ponytails and feathers wings, squirming and wriggling from the sudden collision. "Ooof!" he exclaimed as he ended up with a pile of Applejack unexpectedly. It was a good thing the ground was soft, and when they came to a rest, he sprawled beneath the orange pony and winced as he tried to extract himself from the ponypuddle. "Oh, ouch, I'm sorry! Excuse me! Pardon!" he squirmed, and flailed as they both managed to finally get separated from each other and back on their own four hooves. He was a sorry state now, covered in dirt and stray straw, and a rather apologetic look on his face as he hung his head. "I'm sorry, Miss.." he began, just she spoke and asked if he was alright. "Oh! I'm, I'm okay, I hope I didn't hurt you? I didn't expect...if I'd known I, oh goodness, I'm sorry. I made a mess of things now, didn't I?"

As WIllow caught sight of him, he drew his head up sharply and his eyes widened. "You...know what I am? Oh, this is going so terribly wrong, I just couldn't help myself, I was...I'm sorry, my name is Skye and I was hoping maybe for some of that pie?" he blurted out, so terribly confused. After all, here he was, in plain view, in public (Such as it was!) and his usual method of introducing himself apparently didn't include colliding with farmponies! Though he could luckily count his stars it hadn't been Big Mac he'd run into, or he'd almost certainly have broken something. As it was, he winced as he placed a hoof on the ground, and looked at it. Nothing appeared wrong, but it was probably going to be a good bruise. He was just a little smaller than Applejack, and certainly more slender in build, and it was an amazing thing he hadn't broken one of those wings.

Next to join was Big Mac, the deer's eyes nearly climbing out of his head at his size. "Woah, you're an even bigger fella up close." he exclaimed, then winced as he tried to put weight on his front leg again. "I'm so sorry for intruding, I'm not used to suddenly ending up in the middle of everything. I'm a horrible deer, it seems."

"Aw, hello thar! Big mac was telling me how wonderful it was having two such beautiful fillies visiting us today! He's a real charmer!"

Gravity felt her cheeks burn at the compliment, and her stomach seemed full of butterflies. She wasn't used to male attention, clearing her throat softly as was her habit when she was nervous. Her dark lips pulled into a slight frown when her offer was turned down to help, slowly following after Braeburn as he kicked the hay bail ahead. She gasped when he suddenly became a swirl of limbs, mane, and tail, and ended up on his rump, lifting a large hoof to stifle a chuckle that threatened to rise out of her throat; she didn't want to be rude, after all.

Big Macintosh, of course, helped his cousin back to his hooves, relieved to see that he wasn't hurt. It seemed it would take much more than a tumble to phase the energetic stallion who was quick to dust himself off. Her attention moved to the centerpiece the larger of the two had placed on the table, smiling and nodding her own approval. And before she could give a compliment, the big red male was moseying away, hesitating and wondering if she should stick with Braeburn or follow after Big Macintosh. When he finally offered to find something for her to help with, however, the decision was made for her, offering a small smile as she made her way behind him.

She froze at the sudden sound of distress made by the deer-like creature, keeping behind the red stallion to keep herself out of the way, though she craned her neck to the side to have a peek at what all the commotion was. Once certain she wouldn't be stepping on the poor creature, she moved out from behind and came to stand beside Big Macintosh, peering down at the fragile blue winged deer. She hadn't seen anything quite like him, and certainly no pony that was so thin and daintily built. Of course, he was no pony, but still...

Braeburn felt a little silly, he usually didn't miss a beat when he was moving things around but this time he found himself sitting awkward on his rump on two wet bales of hay with his cousin chuckling loudly, well loudly for Big Mac at least. The view of Big Mac chuckling so was enough to have Braeburn laugh as well. Although his keester was still smarting, he got right back up as if nothing had happened and if without missing a beat, went back to teasing, "Ah see y'all are into flower arrangin' now, cuz!", he winked.

Big Mac, though, had already started to trot towards the barn looking for Applejack, maybe he didn't hear, but more likely he was pretending not to. Looking back towards Gravity, Braeburn gave a wink. "I think he really likes flowers - you never know when that may come in handy," before trotting rather quickly after his large red cousin.

As Braeburn rounded the corner of the barn humming an Applossian tune to himself, he sort of lost sight of where he was going. The next thing he knew he ran right into Big Mac's backside, and that being the one thing he couldn't easily push with his head, found himself right back on his keester once again.

After Braeburn shook his head and picked up his hat with his teeth, he looked up to see everyone rather bunched together plus one more. This fella though, he wasn't a pony, but one of the woodland creatures - maybe? He wasn't sure. Still Braebuen wasn't about to be rude - that wasn't the Apple way! "Howdy there!", he exclaimed with his usual loud voice, holding out his forehoof rather enthusiastically, "Ah'm Braeburn, y'all joining us? What's your name pardner?"

Applejack shook out her coat, sending dust and strands of hay into the air like a pegasus pony might throw a cloud up into the sky. "Oh schucks, I'm just fine- ah've had much n' worse n' that." Finding her nearby she situated it on her head and gave a satisfactory inward sigh. "Good as new!" Opening her eyes after a satisfied nod, she noticed her lithe companion in disaster had not fared so well, sporting a limp. My, what a delicate looking spindly thing he was. Willow said something about a.. a.. Perysomething but that was all fancy Canterlot speak to her. He looked like a simple deer folk to her.

"I'm so sorry for intruding, I'm not used to suddenly ending up in the middle of everything. I'm a horrible deer, it seems."

"Naw, yer not nothin' but a terrible surprise!" Applejack laughed to try and ease the awkward moment, as it seems everypony had come to see what all the fuss was about. "Are you sure yer alright? Dont go blamin' yourself for something I did sugarcube, but ah; what exactly were ya doing out here behind our barn anyway?" Applejack began to move to support the perywinkleton as he faltered on his fronthoof, but stopped when he caught himself.

"Careful now, go easy on yerself fer a spell, and it should shake out soon enough." Applejack winced at her handiwork, the blue perydactledon looked pretty roughed up, and she felt a well of guilt filling the pit of her stomach where her hunger had once been. "Well, Ah've got an idea, why don't you rest up and have a bite with us- we were just about to have lunch when we collided, quite literally," a nervous chuckle snuck by AJ as she spoke to the antlered perydim "an then yah can tell us what brought yah here! If ya'll give me an' Willow here a few minutes ta get some fixin's, that is- Ah hope you'll join us, um- what was your name again?"

Skye blushed profusely at the sudden onslaught of ponies everywhere. Oh yes, this had gone so very wrong. Here he was, had attempted to be subtle and maybe talk to one alone, and ended up the center of attention. Momma would sure be proud of this one, that's for sure. He hung his head sheepishly even as Applejack collected her hat, then perked his head up as she looked him over. He was most definitely smaller than all the other ponies, and while he had a limp, nothing was broken and he fluttered his wings free of the dust before tucking them against his side again.

Applejack's exclamation caused him to relax a bit and he broke loose a grin. "A surprise for all of us around, me included, I guess!" he shook his leg as she asked, and stepped gingerly on it. "Must have banged it in the tangle of limbs. You're a tough pony, but I'll manage. I'll walk it off, but thank you." he stepped on it again and made a bit of a limp as he tried to move out of the center of attention. "Oh, I'm sorry, my name is Skye. Lunch sounds delightful, though I'd really only hoped I could try some of that pie I've been smelling for so long. Discarded apples from the trees are tasty enough and all, but I've never smelled something so good as those pies." he licked his lips at the thought, and his stomach growled. "Ah-heh, Skye." he said again, "Pleased to meet you." he started to step again and came up short inches from Big Mac and then suddenly the sunburst whirlwind of Braeburn. He looked at Braeburn's forehoof, then down at the one he was standing on and the other he favored, then back up with splayed ears. "And you, uh...forgive me? Braeburn? You sure are a friendly fellow, pleased to meet you too."

But his gaze turned to Willow again, the one pony who actually knew what he was, and was so open about it, had he met her before? Or she'd seen him but never stopped to say hello? Where was she from? And then the big mare behind Mac, it was as if they just kept getting larger. As he stared down Mac and Gravity, he turned an aside to Applejack. "Er, you don't get larger the further around this barn we get, I hope. If they get any bigger than those two, I don't think I'd be much more than a greasy spot underhoof."

Willow Wisp was rather interested in Skye, so much so she didn't know she was about to be knocked into. And admittedly she stumbled a little when Big Macintosh bumped into her. Luckily she kept her balance and just gave a nervous laugh in response. "Ah, it's okay. No harm done."

Her gaze went back to the blue deer again. "But wow... a Peryton. That's amazing. I've read about them in some of my creature books, but I've never seen one. I didn't think they lived in this area." A smile came to her face. "I'll have to make note of this in my guide. I mean, if a Peryton lives around here, then there must be all sorts of other creatures as well. I can't wait to do some exploring in Everfree once it gets dark."

Realizing she had just basically spoke her thoughts rather than just making mental notes, she blushed lightly and looked around. "Heh, I mean... nice to meet you, Skye. I'm Willow Wisp.... and uh, like um... Applejack said, we were all going to eat. I was just going to help her fetch stuff." That said she looked to AJ. "I hope you got enough food to go around."

Big Macintosh was relieved that he hadn't knock Willow Wisp over. He himself then felt something bump into his hindquarters, but it didn't make him budge an inch. He turned back and saw Braeburn knocked back on his butt. This time though he was quick to dust himself off. The big Pegasus mare was also close behind, but was more careful of herself than his cousin. He gave a half smile and rolled his eyes at his cousin. Applejack was spot-on when she told him all about their cousin Braeburn.

Applejack and Willow Wisp started chatting to the little deer creature. Big Macintosh picked up on what Willow Wisp said he was, a Peryton. Now Big Macintosh had seen plenty of deer around the orchards, and has talk to many Pegasus ponies, but he'd never come across a Peryton. Braeburn seemed to shoot right up to the little deer and introduce himself, just as excited as his earlier introductions. He was a very polite critter, and introduced himself in a kind manner.

"Howdy Skye, name's Big Macintosh, E'Yup." He said in his typical tone. Big Macintosh noticed the look in Skye's eye as he looked upon the big Pegasus mare and himself. He glanced over and realized that he wasn't sure of the big Pegasus mare's name, who was now standing beside him. Realizing that his sister and cousin would get plenty of joy teasing him if they knew that he didn't do the proper Apple family introduction, by means of giving your name then hearing theirs. He leaned over as stealthily as he could towards her. "Ah'm sorry, but I didn't catch your name." he whispered in her ear. Just hearing himself say this caused his face to flush a deeper red.

Willow Wisp then spoke up and turned the conversations towards food, and the lunch that had yet to be served. Another guest joining them would mean another seat would have to be set at the picnic table. He turned his attention back towards the big Pegasus mare, waiting to hear her name.

"O-oh um..it's Gravity."

His warm breath on her ear had sent a blush into her cheeks, clearing her throat and feeling utterly embarrassed at herself. She offered the little deer creature a timid smile, unsure of herself and feeling as if her thoughts might be racing so loudly through her mind that the other ponies could all hear her.

"I should really be going...I'm really not very hungry and...and there's still work to be done back home." She looked away from the small group and toward the direction of her home. These ponies seemed friendly enough, but she hated feeling so useless and imposing, frustrated with herself that she couldn't just take advantage of their offered hospitality.

Braeburn's ears perked up, he was close enough to hear Big Mac whisper something about her name, or maybe his to her ... or something. Whatever was said, she introduced herself, and they were both blushing quite a bit about the whole exchange. Braeburn felt a mischievous smile spread across his muzzle, which only grew when he heard the Pegasus mare try to excuse herself shyly. "Aww, don't be takin' off now darlin', we would luv y'all fer dinner. Besides, my cuz' Big Mac here would be most disappointed if'm y'all didn't stay and sit with him at the dinnah table", Braeburn winking slyly. "Aint that right cuz'?"

Without missing a beat, and quite content in putting Big mac on the spot some more, Braeburn cheerfully turned to the smaller dark filly. "How about y'all, Miss Willowwisp? Y'all will be staying too, right? We'd be grateful if y'all did, especially Big Mac here", Braeburn put his forehoof around Big Mac's neck, smiling in a disarming manner. Maybe he was laying it on just a little thick, but what's the point of visiting the cousins, without a little friendly jabbing and humor at Big Mac's expense? Braeburn didn't do it to be mean, he just wished that Big Mac wouldn't be so quiet and reserved all the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Applejack let out an embarassed chuckle at the blue peryton's comment about strength; deeply proud about the fact, but not quite so much at the moment. As she looked from one face to another, counting the guests that had been rapidly increasing, she made mental notes of what to gather. Four, five, and herself made six. She and wisp were going to grab some of the ingredients, but now that everypony was back here, why not split everyone up to gather what they needed?

"Well, now that y'all are back 'ere anyways, what say we all go about this, and lunch will be ready in just a flick of a tail!" Tapping her chin with a hoof, then pointing to a few baskets of apples sitting underneath a close group of trees; a mix of gala and red delicious would go well she thought- "Say Mac, maybe you an one other can grab some apples, take them to the kitchen and make some applejuice while the rest of us pick a few flowers, clovers, maters, and other goodies out here for the sandwiches!" Taking a few steps from the group to grab and extra pair of saddlebags, she lifted them up and held them out towards the group.

"Anf whu fants oo carry vese?"

Skye ducked his head as he was greeted by Braeburn, then Big Mac, and soon was aquainted at the rest of the herd. Still feeling a bit like the odd deer out, he tried to preen his feathers perhaps a bit nervously, though keeping his eye on the new folk. He'd never been this close before, and this many ponies tended to make himself nervous. It was most definitely too late now to try to be subtle, but he may as well make the best of it. After all, he had pie to look forward to! He'd smelled it from all over, and now, here was likely to be some...a piece he could call his very own! That was just too much to pass up.

"A pleasure to meet you, Big Macintosh, sir. And...Gravity? And Willow...you and I must talk sometime, I didn't know there was anypony left in Equestria save for Celestia who'd remember what a Peryton was. You're quite a wild fella, aren't you, Braeburn?" he warmed up to the ponies, after settling his wings back into place, his ears pricked up. "I'd love to help, Applejack. Er." his gaze fell on the saddlebags she held in her mouth, then glanced back at himself. "Have you got a basket? I've never worn saddlebags before, and I couldn't bear sitting out while all of you did the hard work. I'm pretty good at digging up potatoes if you've got any, and flowers, too." he looked from pony to pony, trying to get a feel for them. Thus far, each one had such a range of themselves, two big, quiet ponies, one extreme firecracker, one jolly farmgirl, and one unusually mysterious unicorn. Then his thoughts came back to the present, and he wondered briefly about what the future could bring.

No more stealing apples, that's for sure. These nice ponies deserved much more than that. It was a terrible way to break the ice, but then again, he was no ice bear. How much did one weigh, anyway?

"That there, sounds like a good plan, AJ." Big Macintosh stated quite plainly. He eyed the present company to see who he'd want to help with making apple juice. Gravity had looked like she wanted to help out in some way, and I'm sure she would do fine at making apple juice. Then again, Cousin Braeburn has started to push a few of his buttons. A little one on one chat with him might get him to back off the whole, 'setting Big Macintosh up with some pony' thing he's on.

"Well, if Ms. Gravity would care to come with me, that'd be fine. Unless you really do have to take your leave. On that hoof, then Cousin Braeburn should come along." Big Macintosh gritted his teeth a little as he spoke the last bit. Now Big Macintosh wasn't on to get flustered all to often, but Braeburn had been pushing it. Sure, this was his cousin's first visit to Sweet Apple Acres, and Big Macintosh was doing his best to get along. But with Braeburn constantly pushing for Macintosh to pursue one of the mares in company here, well Big Macintosh just wasn't good with that kind of pressure.

Gritting his teeth caused Big Macintosh to bit through the piece of grass in his mouth. It dropped away and fell to the ground, getting covered in dirt.

"Ah, Shoot." He looked forlornly down at his piece of grass. Sure he just get another one, but it was a hassle finding just the right kind of grass.

As it seemed like the task of lunch was getting divided up between everypony, Wisp just waited to see where she was needed. It sounded like she would be joining Applejack in collecting tomatoes and flowers for the sandwiches.

She glanced to Skye as he stepped up to help as well. He seemed rather interested in the fact that she knew what he was, but that really was the extent of the knowledge she had on his species.

'Well I just know what you are from a book. I remember seeing a picture when I was younger. My father studied mythology and legends, and I remember he had a book about different creatures that he used for reference.' She smiled. 'But maybe sometime we can talk. It would be nice to have an interview with a Peryton for my guide.'

She couldn't help looking over toward Big Macintosh as he spoke up. She could just tell there was some tension brewing between him and his cousin, Braeburn. Then again, it was pretty obvious with the gritted teeth. He must have been getting tired of the teasing. As the piece of grass he was chewing fell she blinked.

'Oh, here...' her horn glowed for a moment as she picked the piece of grass up with it. As an Earth pony he would have had to get a mouthful of dirt to pick it up. At least she could move it, and shake the dust from it with her magic. 'How's that? Better?' Wisp asked as she floated the grass over to him to take.

The clear tension in Big Macintosh's voice didn't help to put her anxiety at ease, but it seemed that the only way she was leaving was to just turn tail and run. Certain the embarrassment and shame would do her in, she stays put, clearing her throat and doing her best to offer a smile.

"Well, I...I wouldn't want to leave without helping out. I'm real good with apples...always could crush 'em up pretty well. I mean, as long as I washed my hooves first, heh...Never was one to go tramplin' good food with dirty hooves."

She knew she was rambling, but at least maybe now she could be of some use.

Braeburn just smiled, albeit a little awkwardly. Maybe he was pushing his cousin a little too much. He couldn't help it, the yellow earth pony just had this bit of a mischievous streak within him. Big Mac was that brother he never got to have growing up, and there was that actual desire to have his cousin come out of his shell more and meet someone, even if was mixed with some level of "sibling rivalry" that gave Braeburn some pleasure in putting his cousin on the spot while doing it.

Still, watching his cousin break his trademark grass stalk gave Braeburn pause. He didn't want his cousin too mad, and he certainly didn't want to spoil the dinner or upset his kin. Just why did his cousin give him so many tempting opportunities! He'd have to rein it in a little, be more subtle. "Well cuz', sounds like y'all already have a volunteer thar to give y'all a hand!" she smiled in a disarming, neighborly fashion. "That is sure nice of you, Miss. Gravity, t'do that for him, er, us! Ah'll jus' let you two handle that together!"

Then he looked over to Willow Wisp, who was offering his cousin a new stalk of grass "Well that is right neighborly of you Miss. Willow! Would you like to give Big Mac here a hand as well? Or would you rather come with us, I wouldn't mind the company, none at all!", he said with with a wink towards the both of them, as we walked over by Applejack. "Ah'll take them-thar saddlebags, cuz'", shaking his body as to motion her to drop them on him. Not that he didn't trust the Peyton, it was basically required of him, as an Apple, to offer to take any possible burden, especially in lieu of a guest doing it, even one as mysterious as the blue stranger.

Skye looked somewhat crestfallen as Wisp mentioned the extent of her knowledge. "I didn't know there'd been anything written about us in books, there aren't many of us around anymore. Once we were pretty much anywhere, but now we mostly keep to ourselves. I don't know of very many others around, and certainly there aren't many where I come from. Which actually isn't around here, I live in the Whitetail Wood. And that reminds me." he pauses, looking up the big stallion, then towards his younger sister, and feeling a little braver (as kind as Mac was, he -was- a little intimidating, though Skye knew AJ was a bit of a firecracker she just seemed somehow less imposing), then thought better of asking for any favors at least until he'd managed to settle things a bit. Right about now, it was hectic and dinner was in the works, and what was this basket and where were they going?

Oh, to the garden it seemed. He'd followed the mares to where they were heading for the garden. So many pretty things, and tasty too. Flowers, Tomatos, different sorts of herbs, the scents were all so heady. Nothing like the smell of the forest at all, with its mishmash of wild growth just going wherever and whenever it liked. This was organized, cared for, tenderly loved, and it thrived for it. He soon lost himself in the work, his little tail flicking back and forth as the conversation somewhat faded in the back of his mind, picking some herbs with his little lips here, or dropping a tomato into a basket there. He hummed a little as he worked, fluttering his wings from time to time. With his little hooves, he made hardly a mark anywhere he stepped, reaching far into the various sprigs and stalks for their bounty, though he listened with a cocked ear whenever the girls spoke. As well as any other sounds that wafted his way.

• 3 weeks later...

"Well thank ya kindly Ms. Wisp." The Unicorn's thoughtfulness flushed Big Macintosh's cheeks again at her kindness. He grasped the piece of grass again in his mouth. As he turned his attention toward Gravity, he gave a sharp, quick glare at Braeburn as his eyes pasted. He wasn't about to Let his cousin off that easily.

"Well Ms. Gravity, I'll show you how we make juice here at Sweet Apple Acres." Big Macintosh started off towards the trees that Applejack pointed out. As he started off, he called back over his shoulder.

"Hey AJ, I bet you Ms. Gravity and I can finish making the juice before you and the other's can finish the sandwich's. If I win, you have to finish plowing the south field." Big Macintosh said with a smile. He paused for a moment while waiting for Aj's response. Big Macintosh and his sister had often made small bets over their chores. and each would pick the other punishment. Although Big Macintosh's always seemed to be less embarrassing than what his sister made him do. He was still a little embarrassed to run the apple stand in Ponyville since Aj had made him trot down Stirrup street in Granny Smith's girdle. But he felt confident in making this bet with Ajpplejack.