[Marketplace] Market Square

brianblackberry

"Finally", thought Carrot Fields when the blue pegasus pointed to the pickle carrots first, indicating he wanted a jar, before singling out several other items he wanted to purchase. Carrot was beginning to worry everyone was just going to look, but finally he had his first sale. "Ah cannae believe 'at these things ur actually in demain.", he pondered in regard to the pickled carrots as he placed the bottle into the blue pegasus' cart. It seemed though they were what everyone was the most was interested in for some reason. Perhaps his sister, Purple Haze, was right in making them after all, "Ah guess she pure diz tak' efter th' auld man", he snickered to himself returning back behind the counter.

Carrot looked at the bits spread out on the counter for a moment before pushing them into a previously empty jar, "Ye know, ye earned part ay thes Purple", he smiled proudly to her; "Jist dornt gang spendin' it aw at ance noo".

As the two of them waiting on the other pegasai to decide what they wanted to do, another pony, this time a smaller earth pony filly trotted up to the counter. Carrot gave his best smile to the cute filly, he wanted to impress, well at least as best he could.

"What kind of carrots are these? Do you have any wild carrots?", upon hearing her question Carrot started to worry, wild carrots? Was there really a difference then the kind straight of the ground from a farm? "Um.. weel we hae aw kinds haur, aw of them freshly out ay th' guid, deep, fertile soil! Ah guarantee!", he said with a slightly elevated voice and to some extent an awkward smile, hoping she meant plain raw carrots rather than specifically grown in the wild, "Umm..any particular kin'? We got plenty ay carrot cultivars... Chantenays, Danvers, Imperator, Nantes..."

Berryblast trotted into the Ponyville marketplace it seemed as good a place as any to begin her research on selling her family juice in Ponyville plus she couldn't ever deny checking out some shops while on the job. Pausing in her tracks for a moment as her blue mane hang lazily around her face eager for the new experiences to be had with her new found freedom. Well mostly freedom she remembered shaking her head lightly bringing her hooves back down to the ground. Smiling happily she began to glance over to the nearby stalls, her keen cyan eyes quickly darting over some of the tasty produce as she could already feel her belly begin to ache. "Nope, on the job got things to do!~" she mused happily to herself more than any other pony, she was after all a pegasai on a mission.

Granola dropped her smile into a slightly disappointed expression when Carrot explained his knowledge. "Oh." Granola was beginning to lose hope in her quest to find a larger quantity of wild carrot seeds. "Ya see, wild carrots produce this flower that holds all the seedlings for future generations of flowers and, uh--." Granola realized she may be preaching to a choir. "Ha ha! Look at me talk about carrots to you; I'm sure you know all about it!" Granola rolled her eyes and shook her head slightly.

Meanwhile, the marketplace was getting more and more busier with more ponies from all of the surrounding areas for all kinds of business. At Granola's cart, about a hundred hooves away from Carrot's, Precious began hissing at anypony that walked by her cart and would even growl at innocent ponies looking at her cart from a large distance.

Gallant Quill finally snapped back to reality to see the stall over run with many other ponies. It was good to see that the stall was starting to pick up business but It was a little too much for him. He looked back at the other pony who still had his jar of pickled carrots. He finally paid the bits that he owed the stall owner and trotted off to do more shopping.

"Quite a nice stall," he said too himself "But I should try going to that stall earlier, when there hopefully won't be so many ponies." He trotted off to go purchase some apples and finally go back home read.

Carrot Fields smiled at Purple Haze when she pointed out the obvious truth - ponies like pickled carrots, and she was right to make him bring them. Carrot sighed for a moment, it was time to swallow some of his pride and say so. "Ye were right tae bring 'em, lass! Oim glad ye insisted, Oi know Oi kin bae thick-headed an' picky 'bout this. Sorry about that", he smiled before turning back to the customers.

As Carrot thought about the light brown earth pony filly's question, listing out all the carrot types, he was really just rambling on. Then it hit him what the light brown earth filly meant. Like all the Carrot family, he'd been taught about carrots from a young age, and he remembered about wild carrots and their tall flowers as high as a pony's head. What was the fancy name again? "Oh, wait, ye mean Daucus carota, roight?", he tried to keep a calm demeanor, nodding as if he was some kind of expert. "Oi ... ummmm, Oi dinnae have those wit' me, but Oi kin shur arrange sommat fer ye if ye like, lassie! We are yer one stop shop, after all!"

Looking about, he noticed the golden brown pegasus with the dark mane finally snapped out of his trance and paid Purple for another bottle of pickled carrots before flying off. Well, two sales, right off! Great! And the pegasus looked about to be replaced by another - a very pretty pink pegasus filly with a stunning blue mane, looking about as if she was determined about something, "Ah wonder if she will come ower haur", he mused as he often did when he saw any cute filly. That comforting train of thought was broken with what sounded like some sort of hissing coming from Granola's cart, "Umm, miss, Ah hink thaur main be somethin' wrang wi' yer cart".

Granola's eyes grew large and wet with glee. She was overwhelmed by his like knowledge of plant life. Most deep conversations she has about specific species of plants she has with herself or Precious. "YES! Daucus carota! I shouldn't be surprised that you don't have any available here on your cart. I am trying to do a study on the affect wild carrot plants have on other plants. Ancient pony legend and ancestory has hinted that it boosts tomato crops. But I have only obtained one specimen in my thorough search for the root. At what maturity are the ones you say you have at? You must know they take like two years to fully mature before they produce the seeds I am after."

The cute, friendly earth filly didn't seem to pay any attention to the fact her cart was inadvertently hissing at the other ponies that trotted near it. She either didn't notice in her enthusiasm, or it was normal to her. Carrot almost hoped that she would notice as he managed to talk himself into a corner with his supposed knowledge of wild carrots. He did know some about them, but she was clearly more informed and interested in hearing more. He had to say something quick or look like a fool in front of yet another filly.

Listening carefully, he realized he had no real answer to her questions. He had seen a few wild carrots around here and there but of course he didn't grow any himself. Without really thinking his reply through, Carrot just blurted out the first thoughts in his head, "Umm..weel if Ah recaa they ur fully groon Ah believe..." Carrot smiled awkwardly, trying not to stall the conversation, "Ah didne ken they coods help wi' tomatae growin' thocht, soonds loch ye ur quite th' herbalist expert!"

Waiting for her reply, he worried, "Will Ah hae tae search fur these noo? Ah dornt want tae disappoint 'er, but whaur woods Ah fin' onie??"

Granola steadily deciphered the colt's accent and then reacted positively. "Yes! Is there any way I could take a dozen of them off your hooves?" She stopped herself from assuming too much and didn't want to be rude. "That is, if you're willing to sell them." Granola was willing to part with some of her spare bits to get her own hooves on a solid row of healthy wild carrot flowers for her experiments. She continues to be oblivious of the ferocious nature her pet venus fly trap was displaying out of her peripheral vision.

Carrot just smiled awkwardly at first, his eyes darting from Granola to her cart and back, wondering why the noise was getting ever more intense.  It was like it was alive or something.  Worse than any weird noise though was the cute earth filly's request; where is he going to get a dozen of those wild carrots?!  Normally he would have just said he didn't have any at all, but after talking up how he knew about them to impress her, he didn't want to humiliate himself in front of her now by saying he couldn't get them.  There had to be a way.  "Well, lass, oi dinnae have aught wit' me, but Oi's be chuffed tae git some fer ye!", he smiled with a feigned confidence - they couldn't be *that* hard to get ... could they?

granola2.jpgRed_Venus_flytrap.gif

"Great! No rush though, I have my own business to keep." Granola points back to her cart and then turns towards it. The moment her eyes caught view of her cart, she could see everypony near it avoiding it and shaking with fear, while Precious grew a large cute innocent smile as indication that he wasn't doing anything wrong. Why is everypony freaking out? Granola wondered. She turned back towards Carrot, Precious restarting his terrorism. "Tomorrow, I'll be doing my business here like I always do. Let's meet again in the morning and make a deal!" Granola turns and trotted away happily without a response, as she felt none was needed.

Precious regained his innocence and swooned as Granola approached the cart. "Who's a good boy? Who's a good boy?" Granola awarded Precious' 'good' behavior with her attention and a treat. "Since you were so good while I was gone, I'm going to give you a nice juicy ponyfly!" Granola opened a stashed vented box and quickly grabbed a live ponyfly by the wings using her teeth. She then let it go, but kept it in reach of Precious' range. Precious stretched his stem out and made a short hop, flower pot and all, towards the flying insect. Groar! CHOMP! Precious, having successfully captured his prize, relaxed to his original position. "That's a good boy," Granola encouraged. Tiny cries for help could still be heard inside of Precious' mouth.

ow Carrot was in trouble - the pretty brown earth filly agreed to buying some wild carrots, and before he could say anymore she trotted off happily expecting him to somehow product a dozen fully mature ones ... and did she say by tomorrow? "Stoatin, jus' Stoatin. Way tae go, ye divit. Talkin' yerself intae promises somethin' riddy just tae impress another random filly, hopin' she'd shine tae ye." He mumbled to himself as he shook his head - heck, he'd kick himself in the tail, if he could.

Momentarily alone, with the rush of customers gone, he pondered his situation. He could just do nothing and just say tomorrow that he couldn't find any, but he knew the guilt of taking the easy way out would never let him take that choice. Besides, his new business didn't need the negative publicity, and he didn't want the local fillies thinking he wasn't reliable!

"Oi know Oi kin fin' some. There's got tae be some in th' feilds by th' farms, or o'er by th' Everfree!" he mused, "e'en if it takes th' whole night, Oi'm sure tae find some."

Carrot's train of thought was broken when Granola's monstrous Flytrap "pet" popped out of the cart. Even though it was several yards away, he still jumped when it's massive, bulbous head sprung up for Granola. Well, knock me over wie a feather, Oi've well seen it all, he thought to himself. It had certainly been an eventful first mooring, selling at the marketplace. "Oi won'er if the rest o' th' day'll be like this," he pondered, smiling wistfully.