Rivet

Pony_Sage

[ Pony Related Character ]

post-281-0-30679800-1319592311_thumb.jpg

Thank you so much Brian for the Concept art of Rivet!!!!

gallery_69_18_92629.png

Another amazing picture of Rivet, full colour none the less, from the one and only BrianBlackBerry! Thank you so very much Brian!

Name: Rivet

Species: Unicorn

Pelt Color:Pristine Pearl when not covered in grease, grime, soot, coal, or other various unknown slime, usually looks more grey because of the filth.

Mane/Tail Color & Style: Very orange [analog to human red hair], usually dingy orange. Almost always worn in a "pony braid" closely and tightly braided to her neck, to keep it out of her way when working. Her fore-lock is cropped short giving it a kind of "poofy" appearance. When her mane is undone it is rather long and wavy.

Eye Color: A bright and Lively Green

Cutie Mark: A spoked Flywheel

Physique: Petite and meek , stark contrast to her line of work. She is stronger than she looks.

Residence: Outskirts of Hoofington. In the light-house on the shores of Seasaddle bay.

Occupation: Light Keeper on the "Whirring Gear Light" as sailor ponies call it. Referring to the huge gear on the outside that keeps the light spinning. [ keeps food on the table and provides a roof over her head but not her dream job.]

Motivation: To Pioneer a new age of mechanization in Equestria! OR To perfect new and more efficient styles of steam power! [she would gladly settle for a successful Airship Repair station]

Likes: Airships! Copper and Bronze! Gears, all clockwork of various purposes. Getting FILTHY and of course Steam!

Dislikes: Crowds, being clean, not working on something, fru-fru ponies, getting dressed up.

Character Summary:

Rivet was born in Canterlot, the only foal of a rather well to do family. Rivet was born mute, but other than that she was a perfect little foal. Her parents loved her dearly but had a dreadful time of trying to understand their little foal. Rivet was a very curious foal, she loved to learn, especially about everything and anything mechanical!

One day while she was in school a Griffin Airship "The Lightning Rider" Crashed into the Canterlot play fields. Needless to say the entire school went out to gawk at the new arrivals. Most of the other foals were too startled to approach the gruff looking Griffins but Rivet was just so intrigued by the mechanical nature of The Lightning Rider she could not help herself. She climbed aboard to have a look about. The griffins were a little brusk but not not unfriendly towards the little foal. The Engineer took one look at little Rivet and an Idea sprang to mind. The engineer informed the little foal that with her help they could get back underway in a matter of hours rather than having to disassemble about half the engine which would take a considerable amount of time. The engineer explained that a small cog had fallen off deep inside the engine and that Rivet was the perfect size to fit in and put it back into place. Rivet jumped at the prospect of working on an actual Airship engine. Rivet grabbed a lantern and crawled her way into the center of the machinery. She found the cog without much trouble, put it back on its spindle and kicked in into place. At that moment the entire engine came rumbling back to life! Gears were spinning,steam churning, pistons racking, and all sorts of clatter. Rivet felt a small tingle as she was climbing out of the mechanical beast but discounted it. The griffins thanked the little foal immensely, they even offered to take her along. Rivet politely declined but she did ask for the engineers extra copy of the ships schematics, which took some time and back and forth of her scribbling notes to the griffins for them to finally understand what she meant. The Griffins gladly obliged. The engineer could not help but feel empathy towards the little foal, he gave her a special gift, he himself had received this item as a graduation gift when he finished engineering school. He instructed Rivet to take good care of it and how to use it while the ship was repaired. This gift is the most cherished item that Rivet owns. It is a large full type-writer, the griffin engineer had given her a voice! As Rivet rejoined her class mates she was met with gasps of awe and astonishment. There on her flank, hidden under some grime was her cutie mark! A spoked flywheel!

From that day on Rivet spent all of her free time working on steam powered devices and improving upon the design of the type-writer so it would be easier to carry about. Her parents helped her immensely, importing a vast library of books on steam mechanics to their home for her to read. As Rivet grew older her contraptions grew more and more complex. Still living with her parents she had turned their home into a mechanical wonderland. But after a few, shall we say, mishaps, her parents thought it would be best for her to find a place of her own and a job to support her hobby and growing obsession.

Luckily there was a light-house keeper's position open at the light-house on the shores of the Seasaddle Bay! This would provide her with a good chunk of land for out buildings, the the most precious of resources for a steam engineer, water, and money to pay for her contraptions. Also it put her near a bustling trade hub, good for coming by parts.

--

Rivet is a rather shy and sheepish pony. She likes to keep to herself and work on her contraptions. This does not mean she is anti-social though, she loves conversing about steam powered contraptions with anypony that shows an interest, good luck getting a "word" in edgewise when she starts off on these topics.

She is farsighted so she has to wear glasses, small little square dainty ones on the tip of her muzzle to see the finer parts of her work.

- -

As per her type-writer, she has many different prototypes and version of it but two that she uses regularly. The grand type-writer that the Griffins gifted her is set in the middle of her table in the light-house so that when visitors come by, rare as it may be, they can sit at the table and have a conversation. Rivet has a portable type-writer that she carries about to help her communicate with other ponies when outside her home. It is a very small contraption of her own design, since she types with telekinesis the keys can be exceptionally small thus making it more portable. This portable model is usually stowed in her saddle bags when she goes out, that way it is out of the way but still accessible by magic. Passing notes can get a bit tedious but it is the only way she can actually get her point across most of the time.

The major problem with it is that it can not show inflection that a speaking pony can, Rivet has gotten much better at facial expressions to convey her feelings, but this still gets her into trouble occasionally.

Rivet has far too many projects going on at the same time, she bites off more than she can chew more often than not. She is working on an observation deck above the main light of the house that could later be used to dock airships for trading, repair, and refueling purposes. Since the light is not far away from a major trade hub an extra air-dock would always be helpful.

This leads her home and out-buildings to be a bit jumbled and cluttered. It may look like that there is no order of any kind, which is correct for everypony else, but in Rivet's mind there is perfect order, she can tell you where a bolt is that she took out a month ago and then proceed to replace said bolt from whence it came with no trouble at all. It is just how her mind works, since she can not speak she is "in her head" a lot and always "talking" to herself in her head.

She does posses telekinesis and uses it for very fine to medium motor skills. She loves to get her hooves dirty so she does most of the heavy lifting by winch and her own two hooves.

Other than that she is not especially magical.

- -

She does not count herself as very pretty and feels more comfortable covered in grime but on the occasion she does actually take a bath and gets tidied up properly she is a rather pretty looking Filly.

Viola Antillia was born in Canterlot, the only foal of Natasha and Sean Antillia

Just a quick comment here, Ponies do not have last names. Their names are unique to them. Their names usually have something to do with their personality or their likes. Viola doesn't really sound like a pony name.

I'll change it, but at any rate 1.) would I have to change Freddie Freewings App as well cause he got accepted despite this problem 2.)There is really no family Identification between ponies? That just seems cold to me, I always thought that the names that the cast used were independent of their last names. (Just my impression, that and I name my pets and they all have my last name heh.) And Pinkimina Dianne Pie, who would name their child pie after Pinkamina Dianne just seemed weird to me is all. But the mods have spoken and I will change it, Would just Antillia work then? Antillia was an, albeit fictional, island that was off the coast of spain. It was rather technologically advanced for its time so I guess it would fit better??

~Sage AkA Freddie Freewings.

It seems that some ponies in the series have family names, while others do not.

For example, we have Mr. and Mrs. Cake. However, they also have fan-made first names: Mr. Carrot Cake, and Mrs. Cup Cake. But, since the show as not given them actual first names, do we not assume that Cake is their last name?

Pinkie Pie also mentions Granny Pie, as we all know. Granny has the same last name as Pinkie. We don't know if any other of Pinkie's family has the last name Pie, however.

There's also the Apple family. Even brother and sisters Big Macintosh, Applejack, and Apple Bloom do not share the same last night. But they do share the same trait, being named after something to do with apples.

So there are definitely family ties in the show, but what they vary.

I am just trying to understand really, if the application for Freddie Freewings was accepted, and that application cites Freddie's parents having his last name, and all the other points mentioned above. Why is Viola Antillia unacceptable? I don't see the consistency to be honest.

~Sage AkA Freddie Freewings

the person who accepted that app was help staff and probably didn't know. That's an unfortunate mistake, but as a mod I'm just telling you that we try to catch these things. Sometimes apps get pushed through before we get a look at them all.

And this comes from Ashi on another app:

Curie doesn't sound like a pony like name at all. Is this some sort of object or artifact? Also is it just a last name thing they have going on? Ponies do not have last names so she doesn't need the name "Stein". Same with this Mr/Mrs Stein. It's not pony nature at all.

Ok, That clears Up the Freddie issue but still does not address the issue of Granny Pie, Pinkie Pie's full name, and the afrorementioned other examples, such as Champ's father, he seems to have a last name. I'm not being belligerent I just really would like to understand and why ponies can not have last names?

~Sage

Look, I'm just going with what's set in the rules. There are guidelines in the mod section for us to follow and ashi put it there, ponies don't have last names, or family names. In the instance in the show, for all we know, "granny pie" could have been anything. Her name may really have been Blueberry Pie for all we know, so it may not even have reference to Pinkie sharing that name.

The point is that it has been said that the names are suppose to be unique to the character. Even if we leave out the whole family name... Viola Antillia doesn't really sound like a pony name to start with.

So could you suggest a more "Pony appropriated" name then? Cause if some of the other names that have been accepted are to be used as a guide, I really don't see the issue, Viola is 1.) an instrument 2.) the colour purple Antillia is a fictional island off the coast of spain, that marked the end of navigable waters and [insernt name here] does work in a light house. I found it rather appropriate. But what should her name be because I really am tapped out here.

~Sage

Well looking at the app over all, the name to me didn't read as a light house keeper with a spoke wheel cutie mark. I'm not going to argue with you, I'm just saying the name doesn't read as a pony name. Look at the show for example, Twilight Sparkle does magic and her mark is sparkles, it fits all together.

This app is being handed off to admins as it is, because of some other concerns. So we'll leave it for them.

• 4 weeks later...

The final version looks good, I really like the concept of this character; I remember working with you on it a while ago :3

The only thing you might elaborate on is how the griffin notices that she is mute; and you might add in some blurb about the typewriter being an heirloom or something of someone he once knew. My suggestions may be corny, but they do add more of a sense of background and connection; rather than just "oh hey btw i got a typewriter incase your mute" kinda thing xD

I love it. Approved!

I'm removing the WIP tag and sorting this app. If you have any other changes in mind, just let me know.