Basic questions regarding Mane RP

8bitIcecube

Hello all, 8bit-Icecube here with some questions related to things I may and may not do in the Mane-RP.

First off I've have a dread feeling that there is a FAQ or Rules post floating somewhere describing all these things forehand, but with my sloth I'm unable to find it in these forums. So if there is such post, suggestion to have it pinned to this Q&S forum.

Second, I'm new to forum-based Role-play, so some questions are probably basic knowledge. :20: I'm ignorant, deal with it!

Lastly, I've a general idea what the answer to some of the questions are, but I'm better off safe than sorry.

So on to the questions:

- Are the topics, season related? Or some guidelines for this? (Eg: a thread started in summer, plays in summer. Prolly not,)

- May I use plausible, natural or social occurrences as "plot" devices at the start of or during an RP? (with the other players consent)

As in, may I use a large hailstorm as a reason for my OC to buy new windows? Or a heatwave causing distress for my OC Ice-cream pony. (Or a plausible tidal-wave)

Or using a NPC burglar, angry mob, demonstrations, annoying officers to direct the flow of the story.

Things that could and sometimes really do occur. Large enough to carry impact on the world, very plausible, but without leaving a mark on history.

- How far can I go creating non-canon places to go to? Without creating a whole subsection of proposed lore to that part of forum.

As in, I know I may write in my own shop/establishment/apartment.

But how about a deserted graveyard in the Everfree. A monastery of exclusive monk-ponies in the mountains near Canterlot.

A bazaar of ill tempered henchman griffins? And to top it off: The lost kingdom of ancient diamond-dog civilization?

And for the grand finale, a genuine question without the intention of actually using the answer.

- May I or may I not, start a deceptive set of RP-threads that would or would not imply to start a plan spanning over several ponies that could or could not have any active relation in a ingenious engineered plot that possibly or possibly not hopes to achieve a coup d'etat on Celestia?

These questions are all related to the question: "By how much may I affect the world?". Some aspects I actually hope to achieve, whilst some are just to search the boundaries of this RP-community. Again I've a dreaded feeling that this is posted somewhere extremely obvious, but I'll take my chances.

Please take an effort to answer my questions and to elaborate on the things my wicked mind plans. (I'm really suited for "the genius Evil-Overlord with too grand schemes that will absolutely fail" role.)

And I'm worried that the amount of difficult words and complex grammar raised the PG ratings of this post too high.

Spontaneous combusting,

8bit-Icecube.

I think a lot of those questions and more can all be answered right here. The RP here comes in three flavors:

Free for All: where you can do pretty much anything besides mature-themed roleplay that contain gore, violence, etc.

Equestria Crossovers: where you can introduce new elements, characters, and ideas with a firmer respect for the canon.

World of Equestria: this is the "mane" roleplay that has very strict standards in relation to the canon of the series and has a respectful, realistic representation of the characters in it. Applications for this are required and go under careful review by the staff.

For the rest of your questions -- compare them to the descriptions above. I can tell you right now that a coup d'état against Celestia would never be approved in World of Equestria rule set. I hope this information helps! I suggest you look over the rules section to clarify what you are able to do, and if you have any further questions after doing so, drop them here! :)

I think a lot of those questions and more can all be answered right here. The RP here comes in three flavors:

Well first off: "Aha! I knew there was a rules section floating around, I wonder why I couldn't easily find it".

But sadly, it doesn't answers the questions I have. :sniff:

I'm talking about the "World of Equestria" section, the one where you have to apply to.

I'm basically asking if I may include problems or occurrences that:

- Could very likely occur in the setting.

- My OC would have little to no influence on.

- Would be of such magnitude that would include more ponies than only myself. (Eg: a heatwave)

As well as some other things, but I'm not gonna write a post explaining another large post.

As for the plan to overthrow Celestia. If I'm sneaky enough to stay under the radar of the admins, to plant enough facts around the world in my posts. That the only logical conclusion of said facts/occurances would be the dethroning of Celestia herself. Well who's there to really stop me? :shifty: The thread would probably get deleted, but I would have the satisfaction that I outplayed the admins. And the right to demand a title........ Not that it's gonna happen, I fail at long term planning. :blush:

My experience with World of Equestria RP is that the rule set is not only strict with canon, but firm on keeping with the flavor, whimsy, and focus of the cartoon itself. If your goal is to split at hairs to see what you can get away with there, I think you'll ultimately upset people instead of make a fun and involving roleplay -- the main goal behind the game in the first place, right?

That doesn't necessarily mean that your idea could never happen in that rule set, but I think it will be tough to sell to the other players. As far as "outplaying" the staff -- this isn't really that kind of forum or game. They work really hard to keep the game safe, fun, and interesting, so perhaps you may choose to work with the roleplay rules instead of making them tougher to moderate.

Keep in mind I'm in no way putting down your idea -- I think you should develop it, but develop it in the right place.

Don't get me wrong here :) I intend too keep within bounds of the canon and the additional info established here, To make and partake in some enjoyable RP threads.

I'm just curious what problems I may throw at my slice-of-life threads. Not that there isn't enough play possible with only personal trifles and interaction between players.

Just want to know if and how you may spice somethings. If I'm to do something with it, I would probably open up a thread with it. People that like the idea would be the ones to reply. Or with the consent of all players in the thread.

The more bold things I'd probably indeed setup in the FFA sections.

And I have too much experience in D&D where the campaign escalated into Powerbuilding parties to barely survive ingenous encounters professionally engineered to take us. That mindset is kinda stuck. :mad: I need reprogramming.

- May I use plausible, natural or social occurrences as "plot" devices at the start of or during an RP? (with the other players consent)

As in, may I use a large hailstorm as a reason for my OC to buy new windows? Or a heatwave causing distress for my OC Ice-cream pony. (Or a plausible tidal-wave)

Or using a NPC burglar, angry mob, demonstrations, annoying officers to direct the flow of the story.

Each RP is a miniature timeline unto itself. You can start a winter RP in summer, and you can have your character in two different places at once if you are in two different RP threads. The RPs that you participate in can contribute to the growth of your character, the characters your pony knows or is friends with, but ultimately don't change the wider world around them. (Unless its an event RP organized by the staff.) I'd steer away from large-scale disasters as plot points in mane RP, and angry mobs seem unlikely among ponies.

- How far can I go creating non-canon places to go to? Without creating a whole subsection of proposed lore to that part of forum.

As in, I know I may write in my own shop/establishment/apartment.

But how about a deserted graveyard in the Everfree. A monastery of exclusive monk-ponies in the mountains near Canterlot.

A bazaar of ill tempered henchman griffins? And to top it off: The lost kingdom of ancient diamond-dog civilization?

Much of the world is still unexplored in canon and RP canon, so event sets like this are perfectly fine. If you wanted to create a major city, then you would have to write a proposal and send it through the Lore approval process. In fact, I know of a monastery in the mane RP already, used in the background story of Swift Breeze.

And for the grand finale, a genuine question without the intention of actually using the answer.

- May I or may I not, start a deceptive set of RP-threads that would or would not imply to start a plan spanning over several ponies that could or could not have any active relation in a ingenious engineered plot that possibly or possibly not hopes to achieve a coup d'etat on Celestia?

This is probably unlikely to be accepted in the mane RP. Ponies in general see Celestia as their benevolent ruler, not as some kind of tyrant to be taken down. Now, your pony can mistrust their rulers; I personally have a royal guard pony who thinks that Luna could turn evil again at any time and watches her like a hawk. So no, no attempted coups in mane RP. In an event RP? Nah, we'd never do anything like that.

On the Celestia question, an important thing to remember is that the mane RP strives to pretty closely match what we see in the show itself. Events like what you describe definitely go against show canon and thus will not be allowed.

Most of what you describe sounds fine though. Just remember to keep things within reason, listen to the staff and if you're unsure if you should do something in an RP ask the people you're RPing with (especially if it's something that might effect their characters directly) and you should be relatively safe. :)

Each RP is a miniature time-line unto itself. You can start a winter RP in summer, and you can have your character in two different places at once if you are in two different RP threads. The RPs that you participate in can contribute to the growth of your character, the characters your pony knows or is friends with, but ultimately don't change the wider world around them. (Unless its an event RP organized by the staff.)

Thanks a lot! :D

This kinda answers most of the questions I had. I could've wrote it down in a much shorter version, but that wouldn't be as much fun. :halo:

It's basically driven by the possible problems I conjured for my yet to be existent OC's. And too seek the boundaries in here.

Though I reckon it's not a wise idea to seek those extremes. :mad:

And thank you Phil for the word of advice. I've had tendencies before to "DM" or play things that are eccentric and that didn't fare quite well with everyone.

It's nice to know your possibilities beforehand. I'll try my best to stay on the right track.

Thanks for helping a Forum RP-rookie :)

There is a caveat to the last question:

You can *want* you can *plan* but you cannot *succeed* --- as long as there is no actual change in canon, you character can distrust or even detest celestia (perhaps he thinks he sees 'proof' that her kindness is just a front --- and the "proof" can all be completely false) but he cannot succeed in overthrowing her in Mane, likely he wouldn't be allowed to go beyond laying out a plan unless it was something pinky-level-insane like buying up and hording all the bananas in equestria thinking this will weaken celestia or make her so desperate for a bananna she'll hand over the country... that kind of plot would probably be allowed to come to fruition, of course it's completely insane and worthless as a coup, but...

There is a caveat to the last question:

You can *want* you can *plan* but you cannot *succeed* --- as long as there is no actual change in canon, you character can distrust or even detest celestia (perhaps he thinks he sees 'proof' that her kindness is just a front --- and the "proof" can all be completely false) but he cannot succeed in overthrowing her in Mane, likely he wouldn't be allowed to go beyond laying out a plan unless it was something pinky-level-insane like buying up and hording all the bananas in equestria thinking this will weaken celestia or make her so desperate for a bananna she'll hand over the country... that kind of plot would probably be allowed to come to fruition, of course it's completely insane and worthless as a coup, but...

Yeah, that's a good point. I have an OC who's whole drive is finding power with which to topple Equestrian order and remove Celestia from power. The trick is that she currently lacks that power and within the bounds of the RP she never will acquire it (and she's far too conceited and too much of a loner to ever consider conspiring with others on a serious plot).

So yeah, having a character who doesn't support Celestia or in fact actively opposes her is fine. Just don't plan on having that character actually do something about it. :)

As for the plan to overthrow Celestia. If I'm sneaky enough to stay under the radar of the admins, to plant enough facts around the world in my posts. That the only logical conclusion of said facts/occurances would be the dethroning of Celestia herself. Well who's there to really stop me? :shifty: The thread would probably get deleted, but I would have the satisfaction that I outplayed the admins. And the right to demand a title........ Not that it's gonna happen, I fail at long term planning. :blush:

The Celestia Roleplayer, for one. Can't really overthrow a ruler without the ruler being there. :/

Plus, the Moderator(s) reading this thread. Lol I guess you haven't met me. I'm Big Brother. :)

Tsssk, naive Moderator.

Thinks he can stop my devilish plans before it's too late! :lol:

If I'm correct, it is possible for a Role-player to within bounds of the Mane-RP.

Role-play such a story to raise, through cunning tactics and devious ways of persuasion, at least the question why Celestia should be in command.

And if you gather enough ponies to cooperate, an attempted coup d'etat.

It should make an interesting thread at least..... until said pony mastermind gets shipped off to the moon. :blush:

.....I'm marked as potential threat ain't I?

Plus, the Moderator(s) reading this thread. Lol I guess you haven't met me. I'm Big Brother. :)

Shouldnt it be Big Sister? ;-)

BigSister1.jpg

The key is it wouldn't matter if you had every character but Celestia herself involved, the way the RP is set-up, it wouldn't happen. Nothing that would seriously hamper canon passes the muster. And even if it was possible to pass muster, if the Celestia player herself refused to play along with the idea, then nothing happens! So while that could possibly be your character's motivation, its something that has a zero percent chance at happening. My advice would be to play the whole thing somewhat comedic; said character takes it seriously, but is either too silly/incompetent to do anything.

We've had a few DnDers play here and sometimes they've ran into some difficulty adjusting to this. You can't win this RP and you don't beat other players, nor are there(currently) any forum-wide long-term goals.

This dragging on kinda spurs me on to make a "Mad Scientist" character, who wants to use Celestia herself as a power source......

And although I've played enough DnD, I play other systems and role-playing games as well. And I fully realize that this is a place to have fun RP'ing as ponies, :)

Why did you think, I became a member? But yea, I'm always leaning to, players vs DM mindset. But I can... hopefully... control myself.

As I purposely said several times, I'm inexperienced in forum roleplay, not roleplay itself. And Corsair settled most questions I had with the remark: "Each RP is a miniature timeline unto itself".

So thank you all for your answers, and....

FREEDOM TO EQUESTRIA , dethrone the celestial tyrants!!! :mad:

Silly filly, Moderator doesn't have a gender.

Only in English, my bets are s/he's foreign, and in many languages ALL nouns have gender... (one reason so many dubs end up giving characters sex changes >.<)

Only in English, my bets are s/he's foreign, and in many languages ALL nouns have gender... (one reason so many dubs end up giving characters sex changes >.<)

Ashton hits the nail on the head.

I used a dictionary to be certain of the gender. But apparently it doesn't "translate" into American... (no offense, European dictionaries tend to translate to 'Britain-English') oh well.

The other option would be using the word "it", to refer to moderator. Don't like that one.... makes you more like things.

And before this thread dissolves into a language war, let us drop the point?