New Official Friendship is Magic Comic Series

Saw this on EqD and, to me at least, it's probably some of the coolest pony news to come out in a while:

Hasbro and comic book publisher IDW are teaming up to produce an official comic series based on MLP:FIM, with writer Katie Cook and artist Andy Price as the creative team. More details, as well as some of the artwork, can be found here.

I think this is awesome. The art looks nice, and it really sounds like this is going to not be something thrown out there without much thought that would only appeal to the target audience. Sounds like its going to be a fun new medium to get some hopefully great new pony stories. I definitely plan on picking it up this November. :kissy:

Thoughts?

Also, I wasn't entirely sure where to place this topic. I know FIM Series is mainly just for the show, but as this is a new series of officially licensed stories set in the FIM universe, it seemed appropriate to me even if it wasn't the show itself. If a moderator thinks it belongs somewhere else, feel free to move it. ;-)

• Like 1

I really recommend checking his stuff out on the link I provided. The artist is pretty good and I like his sense of humor, There's a few con pics there that are a bit more on the adult side..But not too much so.

We need to make those a success, provided they are well written. If those take off, I think the future of G4 is going to be bright.

Totally agree. This needs to be a success.

I know for most of us who read comic books already and are pony fans, the decision to buy this is pretty immediate, but I hope this extends beyond just that.

I mean, provided it's good I guess, but the editor's comments in that article really make me think that they're on exactly the right track with this. :)

An official comic book series?....AND IT'S AIMED TOWARDS US?!

I'm not a fan of comics, but I'm certainly one now! The artwork looks FANTASTIC, it looks as if the creators love the show just as much as we do and....man, all this excitement the last few days about the show has been GREAT!

I just can't imagine how my girlfriend will react...not only is she a Pegasister, but she also loves comics...

I CANNOT wait for this! Season 3 and this can't come any sooner!

• Like 1

Here's something I noticed the more I looked at the colored images. Twilight's mane is primarily black, not the indigo we're accustomed.

It looks more like a preview sketch than 100% official artwork from the comic. I'd say it was done just for show.

Besides, Katie Cook's artwork looks more indigo. It's too early to really tell... :/

Does anyone know when this is supposed to be released?

I have to admit, I actually don't really read western comics, the only series I ever collected was the Powerpuff Girls (I've also bought and downloaded a few issues of another series roughly 4 years ago because those particular volumes featured a character I like from the T.V. series), but I deffinately plan to buy these, hopefully it will be released in Canada so I can buy it easily

But I remember seeing those character sheets a little while ago

SQUEEEEEE!!!!!!!

I will be getting this. I like the art (even if I do think I like Katie's overall style better) and am hugely glad that the folks involved are fans in their own right.

While I think some of the more adult leaning stuff Andy does is funny I hope that doesn't leak too much into the comic. The innocent, sweet nature of the show is one of its biggest draws for me. I don't know if I could reconcile overly "grown-up" stuff.

Yeah, I don't think we're going to be seeing 'Bray-Son' or Applejack running around with a shot-gun in the comic book, but I'm sure he'll supply us with what we generally expect for the show. Stuff for the kids, and a little bit for the adults to catch that may go over the kid's heads. Like proper family entertainment. :blah:

Just pre-ordered the comic on the same webshop I get Sonic comics... So I'l get not that much shippment slap, besides I'l get ponies...

*Applejack voice*

So webshop you say...Ahem, hint, hint...webshop... :?