[Cloudsdale] Training Accidents and Artistic Visions (Private; PurpleBird)

Davroth

This wouldn't do. Opal knew it wouldn't do. It was still wrong. She had burned through hundreds of bits worth of ingredients, but the result has been the same. Imperfection. In training, it was an annoyance. In a performance, it would be a liability. Her usually very reserved and calm features showed light wrinkles as she furrowed her brows. 'I will get this right, even if it takes me all day!' She thought as she rose into the sky again, starting all over again...

There are days like this, where things just seems to go wrong. The white pegasus had been woken up by the sound of breaking glass as several small bottles decided to fall from the table. She couldn't know for sure, but she suspected that some kind of woodland critter had found its way into her home again. It happened rarely enough, most of the local wildlife couldn't really set foot into a cloud home, but there were so strange creatures in Everfree.

Whatever had caused it didn't really matter, the result was the same. She had to go to... 'ugh' ...Cloudsdale. Several weeks sooner then she had anticipated. Worse yet, the weather was perfect to practice her new routine. She had worked on it for a while now, but the Clouds had been very unkind. Rain. And if that wasn't bad enough, summer rain. Weather followed its own rules down there.

Opal made her usual round. A hand full of herb collectors, alchemists, an apothecary... She didn't take long to find all the things she had to replace. She was about to leave Cloudsdale when her eyes wandered in direction of her home. While she had wasted he better part of a day in this ratchet place, dark clouds had gathered over the forest. 'Another day without practice.' She thought miserably, silently cursing whatever twist of fate had caused the bottles to fall from the table.

"No" She said loudly, causing a nearby group of school fillies to jump in surprise. She paid them no mind, and took a look around. There was a public training ground nearby. They were all over the place. But at this time, and in the middle of the week no less, she would most likely have it all to herself. The white pegasus lightened up considerably at that thought. 'It wouldn't all be bad', she though.

Leaving her saddle bags on a hook near the entrance, Opal Shards rose into the air elegantly. She flew a few rounds to warm up her flying muscles, she took position for her new trick. After a few moments of most complex flying maneuvers, several rather sharp looking pieces of ice fell to the ground, already half melted before they passed the clouds. The white mare looked displeased. Again. And again. An hour passed and still the result was the same. Imperfection.

As she rose into the air again, Opal saw the sun hanging very low already. She would have to stop soon. But not quite yet. Wings spread wide, she began to fly her figures, new ice crystals already forming around her. She wouldn't fail this time. She was doing it perfectly. It was so close this time!

The white pegasus turned her head, and to her surprise, a sharp ray of light hit her right in the eyes, reflected by one of the windows of the nearby building. Unfortunately, performances like hers didn't allow for mistakes.

The blunt side of a larger piece of ice hit her at the side of the head, hard enough to take her coordination. Wings stretched wide, she spiraled to the ground, undoubtedly falling towards a painful awakening.

Cloudsdale was busy as per usual, the aura of excited Pegasi filed the air as flying mare and stallions flew around. It was the middle of the week which meant working ponies had to work. Even though it was the middle of the week it seemed lots of Pegasi couldn't stay home but enjoy their cloud city skies.. Most seemed happy to take time under the perfect summer weather, in fact, the sun has been pretty much bright in Cloudsdale. Pegasuses thanked their goddess Celestia for that. Pegasuses flying and twirling above the cloud city could be seen from below, the small village Ponyville could even see the hype going on above. Not that Pegasus don't usually fly around in such masses often...

Very few Pegasi stayed grounded to their clouds, to discuss with friends or to just sit and watch other ponies fly about. Everypony was having fun under the sun, except a particular pony, Canvas.

Canvas, paying no mind to the sky or sun, doodled in her sketch book. She ignored everything it seemed, to the fillys and foals dashing above her, to that bouncing ball that almost hit her in the head if it wasn't for the slight bob forward. The only attention she gave was to her sketch book and focus on drawing with the pencil in her mouth. She nestled herself on a cloud near a park. She usually draws on the outskirts, but, the bright sun in Cloudsdale made it easier for her to draw and with so many lounging ponies, she could practice her anatomy. As odd of an atmosphere it was for her, or the fact she was surrounded by ponies she was usually annoyed with made this scene rather funny looking. Though still distant and a far from the rest of the clouded field filled with Pegasi she did have a clear view. She only took quick glances up to two laying mares on a cloud looking up at a bunch of stallions playing ball in mid air. Canvas had no shame in drawing nearby ponies that took no recon or realization they were being sketched behind their backs. It was all for the name of art!

"Ah... There.." she said under breath. raising her head back to see her finished product of the anonymous pony. It showed a sketchy replica of the one in front of her. She gave a questionable look at her art work, judging every pencil detail and articulate shapes she placed in it. Not only judging how well she mimicked the mare, but how the style fitted her best judgment. This was something she always took a long time doing before decided if it is still worthy to even be classified as art to her.

"Hmmm..." she made a sound as she adjusted her sliding glasses with her wing. She pondered taking a hoof to her mouth.

"No.." she finally made a decision, taking the bottom of the page and flipping it over to reveal a blank new one. She took a deep breath, took her pencil-

"Hey, watch out!" a sudden voice made her jump out of her flank. Than suddenly it hit her. Literally. A white Pegasus came crashing down on the artistic by stander and her sketch book and pencil went flying, as did she, tumbling from the impact. Canvas just laid there, whinnded as her sore wings twitched.

"..Owe..." was all she muffled beneath her muffled breath as her face was planted into a cloud. Her mane was even more messy and mangled. She lifted her head slowly and dizzily, her glasses almost falling off her face. Her eyes went narrow... Than her brow wrinkled as she gained focus on who crashed into her. She wobbly got to her hoofs. She had every name in the book going through her head. What clumsy roughian possibly decided it'd be funny to crash into such a moment of art expertise and practice! She thought but growled as she stomped to the grey winged figure. Pegasi that were there were watching the scene from afar. Canvas could care less.

"Do you have any idea what you almost did? You almost broke my B4 standard pencil! A B4 for Celestia's sake!" She picked up the said pencil that had rolled to her hoof into her mouth. She wanted to go on a rant about the importance of such pencil, but, she knew that such 'twit' couldn't understand. "Leght aloffn thath factff yough almosth brokth mhyth sketcth bookth!" her words were lispy due to the pencil being in her mouth, barely anypony could understand what she was saying in that sentence. She glared down angrily. She couldn't stop but think how this really proved the 'stupidity' of the flying community of Cloudsdale. Figuring if they can't even watch where they are going, how can it even be recreational. She had a lot of words to say to the unfortunate flyer that just happened to bump into a fire ball. She just turned away her head held high and she walked over to her roughly opened sketch book, picking it up gently into her mouth. She looked around at all the Pegasi that had just watched the sudden out burst. Almost everyone winced at the purple splattered hot fuse and went back to what they were doing.

"Now... Next time.. Watch where you are going." she makes another comment to the Pegasus, except this time her tone was in stutters and more of concern which seemed slightly out of character from before. Canvas did get overwhelmed by what happened, but, she did try to make her point clear.

Still in mid fall, Opal regained her consciousness. It didn't take her long to grasp the situation. One does not fly with a stunt team without knowing what an accident felt like. Her heart was racing as her downward spiral continued, unable to change her direction at this point. It was already too late. Fortunately for her, the soft clouds would break her fall. Or so she though.

As she looked down, she saw a purple pegasus with what looked like a note pad, regrettably right at the spot she was falling towards. Worse yet, the mare showed no sign of moving any time soon. In a rare fit of panic, the white pegasus tried to call out to her, but it probably would be too late. They would collide. She braced for impact.

---

Opal got up from the ground. She was still kind of shaken, but she managed to stay on her hooves for now. She had been prepared for a crash. In fact, it was one of the things you had to learn first in her line of work. Otherwise you risked serious injuries. What she wasn't prepared for, though, was the purple pegasus mare's reaction..

The white mare just stood there and listened and as she stood there, she slowly regained a grip on herself. And something else crept back into her. Unbridled anger. She had just endured what was easily a 200 feet drop, and this pegasus mare had the audacity to yell at her about a pencil. A pencil! She could have had a concussion. Or break a wing. But all she cared for was her pencil. She would give her a piece of her mind.

Opal shards inhaled and exhaled very quietly. It was not her style to explode on ponies like that. She would do it her way. Waiting for the young mare with the broken pencil to finish, she put on her sweetest smile. When she saw her opening, she began: "Oh, I am terribly sorry." She firmly focused the mare with relaxed eyes. "Whatever was I thinking? I'm really sorry that my little fall from, oh.. about 400 feet?" Her smile widened a little "Anyway, I'm so sorry that my little accident inconvenienced you."

She didn't even wait for a the purple pegasus mare to reply to her and went on: "But don't worry. I have plenty of bits. I will of course replace your broken pencil." She giggled. "That is the least I can do..."

Before Canvas could even breathe a response, the Grey Pegasus immediately reassured. Canvas, oblivious to the sarcasm and redundant tone they gave, she just smiled small and raised a brow.

"Oh? Reahthly?" she muttered towards her, pencil still in mouth. Canvas was rather delighted to hear sense come from the mare. Canvas whipped around and walked to the Pegasi placing her pencil on the ground. She raised her head promptly and placed a hoof against her chest, ready to introduce herself. "I'm Canvas Whiz, freelance artist enthusiast and art expert." she gave a brief glance before leaning down again and picking up her pencil. Before the apposing pegasus could answer her she had already turned around. Canvas wanted to see if this pony actually kept their word, and buy her another B4.

"Well...?" Canvas paused in her pace to turn to the flyer still standing there. She was hoping for her to follow, not just wanting any B4 pencil bought anywhere. The purple mare was perpetual about the white one's promise, sarcasm or not. Oblivious to the upset Canvas has caused this mare before, from her reaction, she only expected an apology. Even if that meant the mare had to pay for something, what ever would make this persistant- gloomy mare happy.

Opal Shards froze for a moment. She had encountered her kind before. Completely oblivious to the concept of sarcasm. She sighed quietly. Never did she expect her to take her offer to replace... a pencil. It wouldn't burn a hole into her wallet, she knew. She would just go with it for now.

The white mare retrieved her saddle bags from near the entrance of the training ground, and trotted after the purple pegasus, soon walking next her. She gave her a side look. She didn't look like the usual pegasus from Cloudsdale. In fact, Opal had her doubts she was a very good flyer. What did she say earlier? Artist and art expert, Canvas Whiz? Well, she might as well try to make this unexpected break a little more pleasant.

"So, you are an artist, Miss Canvas Whiz?" She gave her a gracious smile. "I am kind of an artist myself, though my works wouldn't find their way into a gallery anytime soon." She chuckled brightly, flicking her mane back.

They walked onward, a plethora of little flasks and glass bottles tingling in her bags. She shuffled her wings for ventilation, to cool of her body that was still heated up from the extended training. Her heart hadn't slowed down much, either, and she breathed deep and controlled trying to pace it a little. The crash had been more stressful then she had thought at first, but it didn't seem to be anything dire. Just trotting on along with this peculiar, purple pegasus penciller, she was sure it would get better eventually.

"Oh, but please, what kind of art would you be specialized in, Miss Canvas Whiz?"

Hey, PB. :)

I forgot to tell you, but I'll be gone till Sunday.

Looking forward chatting to you then, and I hope your commissions go well. Girl gotta eat after all. ;D

Until then.

Canvas felt the sudden shift of tension gone away as the peculiar Pegasus trotted back with saddle bags. Canvas was actually happy with this outcome, a flying-pony that will actually redeem themselves from her negative first impression. Canvas kept her head high with subtle side glances back. Canvas heard her questions and slight exhaustion. Canvas was a bit ignorant in not knowing why this mare was soo puttered out. She shrugged it off without any questions or conclusion that it was the crash earlier. She figured falling that high off the ground into an obliterating crash can't be that big of a deal for an obvious 'flyer'.

Canvas kept a blank expression and high brow at the mare as the walked along. Canvas came to a conscious thought that this white Pegasi was annoyed with walking, like all flyers would. She's probably bickering to herself right now... How tedious and aggravating it is to waaaallkkk. Puh-lease. Maybe if such a pony took conciousness to their surroundings, sky and land, than maybe THEY wouldn't run into- Her thoughts ended with the interuption of the mare's giggling voice. Canvas snapped back in attentive expression.

"Sorry..?" She hummed a little not quite catching what the white one had said. Realizing soon enough she just addressed her by 'Miss'. Narrowed her eyes a bit towards the white Pegasi, she smirked slightly knowing it was just a gag.

"I am kind of an artist myself, though my works wouldn't find their way into a gallery anytime soon."

Canvas raised an even higher brow to what she had said. An artist. It baffled her. A pony that takes to the skies, also has a sensibility in art. This was a combination that disrupted her common knowledge of other Pegasi. She glanced away for a moment pondering to herself. She did realize that every pony had talents, obnoxious as most Pegasi get, she supposed an athlete of any kind could be un-blind to the importance art has offered through history and present. She smiled more realistically, and less smug than before. She was more inquired to talk to her now, something that was now common ground.

"Oh, but please, what kind of art would you be specialized in, Miss Canvas Whiz?"

Canvas perked her ears and flashed another smile. She looked back to the path of clouds they were walking on, she slightly opened her wing and tucked her pencil with her sketch book.

"I believe anything can be a talent of art, in a gallery or not... It takes passion, and thought to do anything. Right? And art is one of the things that are made mostly from passion and thought. If you have that, with anything, you have art. " Canvas looked to the mare with genuine enthusiasm as she spoke her small monologue. It was almost out of character how she talked with a smooth tone and sincere smile. It was more than obvious what she lived and breathed in solitude... She paused and raised her head with pride before answering her second question. "I specialize in many materials and mechanics... Right now I'm working on sketching the pony anatomy, as I've been for a while. Painting, sculpting, paper maché. There's nothing I can't do." She smiled with a side glance again to her tag-along. She looked ahead and realized the small thrift-art shop was ahead. Canvas picked up in pace with a trot. She hadn't realized the mare she talked to before was still nameless to her...

"Oh, and sorry, what may I address you as?" she stopped in her tracks to a skid to look back at the Pegasi. Her hoof raised a little, waiting for a name.

Even though her saddle bags weighed her down considerably, Opal had no problem keeping up with the purple Pegasus. He flight muscles were aching, but her legs hadn't touched the ground much for the last few hours. Her wings still shuffled from time to time, seemingly on their own accord. Part of her despised the heated feeling extended training brought. Still trying to slow her heart rate with controlled breathing, the white mare listened intently to Canvas, nodding in acknowledgement now and then.

'More of a traditional artist this one.' She thought, but then there was something that caught her attention.

There's nothing I can't do.

Opal Shards looked at her from the side, a thin, yet genuine smile on her lips. Once she had bought her that pencil, she'd have to give this fellow artist an example of her field of expertise.

As they trotted along, it hit Opal just as the purple Pegasus mare asked for her name. She hadn't introduced herself! 'How could I be this careless?' She thought. Clearing her throat, she said: "My name is Opal Shards, and I suppose my profession could best be described as 'flying performer'." She gave a little bow. "Though, I have my way to give it my own spin, I assure you." She giggled quietly.

As she bowed her head, Opal noticed that her neck felt a little stiff, and for the fraction of a second, she felt a little dazed. She paid only little attention to it, as a more pressing matter entered her mind.

"I do hope it's not very far from here." She shook her head involuntarily. "The art supply shop, I mean." She sighed, trotting onward.

A suspicion rose in her that the crash might have been more severe then she had first thought. She tugged that into the back of her head, though. She wouldn't allow to show weakness in the company of somepony she just met. 'Just steady ahead.' She thought. She would just walk it off, as usual. Nothing to be worried about. She had been through worse. She certainly had been.

Barely noticeably missing a step, the loud jingle of bottles in her bags gave it away to the keen observer. She would just walk it off.

• 6 months later...

Canvas promptly placed her raised excited hoof to the ground, almost sternly. Canvas narrowed her eyes to pony. It was now apparent, that she now payed attention, that this mare was injured-- wobbly legs with an ache. Canvas was conflicted with feelings, to act as she normally did in the presence of assumed 'ruthless flyer' or genuinely care about this mares injuries. The purple Pegasus lowered her head in thought. She looked forward to the small, almost squished shed that was the thrift shop.

Canvas raises her head and looks forward to the shop. She nudges her nose forward to it.

[colour=#4b0082]"Here. This is the place!"[/colour] she spreads her wings a bit. A glance to the white Pegasi, clanks of bottles catch Canvas's attentive ears.

[colour=#4b0082]"Are you... Alright?"[/colour]

5mLBq.png

The white pegasus mare gulped hard to fight back the encroaching blush that was filling her cheeks, and would give away her light embarressment. It wasn't that noticable was it? Surely just a bit of crash aftershock. Nothing dire. Surely not. In fact, she would just act like nothing happened.

[colour=#ff0000]"Oh, it's nothing." [/colour]Opal began, trying to convince herself as much as she wanted to convince Canvas. [colour=#ff0000]"I had crashes before, far worse crashes then this one, and it was never anything big."[/colour]

She put up her most convincing smile, or what she hope was her most convincing smile. She was actually not feeling too well now that she paid attention to it. Her head was feeling oddly light and spinny. This was different then it usually was. To her discontent, even while standing, she couldn't hold her hooves still, taken smaller steps on the spot. Definitely not a good sign. The little bottles in her backpack jingled cheerfully.

[colour=#ff0000]"Don't worry about it."[/colour] She continued with a ever so slightly strained smile. [colour=#ff0000]"Didn't you want to buy a new pencil?"[/colour]

Canvas raised her brow higher but turned to the limping, and now obviously in pain pony, with a look as if un-pleased she was being lied to. She crouched her wings closer to herself and took steps closer to light headed Pegasus. Canvas cocked her head to the side as she circled around the fumbling mare. Her inspection had noticed the loss of balance, the injured side, and dizziness this mare was in.

[colour=#4b0082]"You know, you shouldn't be so humble as to lie to someone."[/colour] Canvas had said in a matter-of-fact tone. Her wings spread as she spoke, making it clear she was very serious. It was a harsh thing to say, but, she only meant well.[colour=#4b0082] "I may have came here to get a pencil, but, if you are in this condition I will not allow you to walk around any further. You need rest..." [/colour]Canvas's attitude towards this Pegasus has drastically changed. The earlier attitude of a stuck up artist soon softened and molded into someone genuinely concerned, feeling almost bad she was the cause of this... but partly in her head she argued stubbornly it was the flyers fault as well (flying around so rambunctiously and dangerously, once again reminding herself how silly such practices were). She eye rolled to herself before looking back to Opal.

[colour=#4b0082]"I'll tell you what, I'll take the coins I need from you as your payback to purchase the pencil myself. This way you payed my back, but, also means you don't have to walk in pain."[/colour] Canvas could feel herself almost smile as she reassured this mare, but, still kept her narrow expression.

Canvas walked to Opals side, her face softened a bit with a small smile. Hoping this was reassuring enough for her to agree.

5mLBq.png

Opal's smile was still present, but it became more and more obvious how strained it actually was. Something was not right. This felt different from her usual training injuries. Her head was spinning, and it became difficult to keep up her tough and distant front. The saddle bags felt much heavier now, too. She got actually a little angry with herself. The white pegasus wasn't used to feel weak. She hadn't felt this weak in a long time, and she didn't like it one bit. Still, she could stay on her hooves for now, and she was determined to not show how weak she actually felt. But she had to concede that it was just not possible to not show it at all.

[colour=#ff0000]"You are right, darling. I'm sure I'll be right back on my feet after some rest."[/colour] She said, winning back some of her usual self-control. [colour=#ff0000]"There's a small pouch on the side of my left saddle back. I keep my bits in there. Be a dear, and just take however much you need to replace your pencil, and bring back the remaining."[/colour] She smiled, still a little strained.[colour=#ff0000] "I'll wait here."[/colour]

Opal Shards was not entirely comfortable with Canvas getting so close to her. For a pony who was usually very liberal with the personal space of others, she felt weird letting any other pony just come next to her, even if the intention was to help her. It's one of those things that she had carried over from living alone, far away from any family or friends for most of her adult life. All she could really hope was that she indeed would feel better after a little rest, so she wouldn't have to be reliant on the kindness of strangers.