IP2012 Open Air Ring - Free Roleplay

Timid needed a break after that near fall from the ladder at the cloud diving event. He was still damp and wobbly on his legs as he roamed the open air ring of the competition. His stomach gave a low rumble and Timid groaned, he was hungry and had forgotten to bring money! He began to sniffle, the thought of not being able to eat anything erasing the feeling of accomplishment for successfully jumping into the water.

Timid stopped sniffling and his quiet crying ceased as he walked past Pink Lady's tent and spotted Polaris inside. Hurrying into the tent, he was prepared to ask his guardian for a little help in getting food but stopped himself. He spotted the sign proclaiming free refreshments and bounced with joy, "Ma'am? May I have something to eat? I just jumped not that long ago and I am famished from climbing the ladder.", he asked politely.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thes watched proceedings in the tent with a considerable amount of interest. He liked hoof—er, leg-wrestling as much as anypony, and he was also an actor. His trade was to create characters, and he often observed those around him for elements he could bring to the stage; and there was certainly a gold mine of characters here. He turned to Lady. “Has the whole day been full of this much activity? Or have I merely stumbled upon the climax, as it were?” Thes did tend to speak strangely, but his tone and smile were friendly.

Heart tried to pull herself together, looking around once more, but she just couldn’t bring herself to walk on. She watched the four ponies picnicking, smiling wistfully at their carefree and happy chatter, remembering similar picnics with her family. Well, they're here with somepony they love…Why shouldn’t they be happy? She thought of home in Ponyville, and determined that, if she didn’t find another town she liked soon, she’d go back. At this point, somepony might have noticed that she hadn’t moved in awhile…

((OOC: Apologies for the wait; I've just got out of hospital after an operation to get rid of some kidney stones.))

Polaris chuckled at the thought of Rainbow Dash cannonballing into the lake. "I thought I heard a wail and a splash when I passed that way earlier on," he commented. "I certainly heard - and saw - the Rainboom, though. A spectacular sight, to be sure - I'd ask her if she'd mind doing a display at Fetlock Hall, but it's hardly appropriate to use an Element of Harmony as a glorified firework, is it? No matter how much I paid her." He sighed, rather whimsically. "Even with her display, I'm sure you've placed very highly, Shanna. I shall watch the lists and cheer for you both in any events you take part in, you may depend upon it!" He smiled and turned his attention back towards Pink Lady, having greeted his friends.

"Dear lady, could I just-" Just at that point, however, Swift Squall did some form of curious - and quick - backpedal, once again placing himself directly in front of Gilda and issuing a strident and rather irritated challenge - along with a glare at the duke and a curt 'some things can't be solved with words alone.' Despite himself, Polaris bristled, ears going up and forward momentarily.

"Quite right," he replied, coolly, to the unicorn who was now challenging Gilda, not rising from his rather comfortable position. "A bucket of water is sometimes necessary to bring silly hotheaded ponies to their senses - although if you think I'd waste any of Pink Lady's fine lemonade on the task, you're sadly mistaken." He frowned at the sword-bearing stallion. "I will say this, though; hypocrisy becomes nopony. I may not agree with Miss Gilda's view of the world, but nor do I go around reinforcing it by fighting; all you're doing is proving her correct in that 'might makes right', as it were." Could the pony not see he was just backing up everything the griffon had been saying, undermining his own case in the process? There were more elegant ways of proving the values of a different philosophy, and they didn't revolve around the strength of hoof and horn.

" Liiiime, it's so good to have you here, hun! "

Berry gives a small squee and gives Lime a soft peck on the cheek, returning the nuzzle lightly as they all settle on the blanket - Ruby seeming entirely jubilant that Reno had managed to make his way here also. Ruby had told of the youngster a few times, and she was pleased that her beloved l'il daughter was making more friends...if there was one thing Berry knew was a benefit to anypony, it was more friends.

" I'm glad you two could make it! " Berry says, chuckling softly to herself as she settles back into a more comfortable sitting position, leaning a little against quicklime and giving Reno a small glance. " Nice to see you, Reno - I hope everything has been going well for you lately....Pinchy has been all excitable and telling me about you at home - I hope you two ponies aren't gettin' into TOO much trouble! "

She smirked playfully - Berry wasn't a pony to talk much about not getting into trouble as a foal...she'd had her own fair share of moments of mischief, but it wasn't like she needed to say too much on that. Afterall, one thing any parent knows is that Youngsters and trouble were a natural match.

Berry then looks back at Quicklime with a small grin. " And how about yourself, sweets? Everything going well for you too? "

"Personal Space" had a different meaning for Flying Brick, along most of the underclasses of Stalliongrad, than for Greater Equestria. For this reason, she had a tendency to get in pony's faces, out of nothing more than gregariousness, which could be interpreted as rudeness. Still, she wasn't fundamentally rude, and the slight stoop her shoulders took on showed shame at a real breach of etiquette. "Sorry, Lady, my enthusiasm and thirst got better of me; but it was very good." A rather sheepish grin capped the apology.

Her attention was quickly arrested by the whole conflict that had just come to head, apparently, between some unicorn and Gilda. Not having been present for the first part of it, the mare could only view the proceedings with rank and evident confusion. From what she'd seen of Gilda, she seemed a decent griffon. What was this about a world-view? Why was the first unicorn challenging her, and why did the second call him a hypocrite?

But, there was one thing she did understand.

"Hey, speak of respect!" The earth pony interjected her head between the two "contestants," fixing them both with a rueful stare. "Take hoof-wrestling outside; you might upset the nice mare's refreshment table, and other ponies want to partake of it!" She nodded at the two who had just come in. "Now, we can take the show out of the tent, let everypony else see this!"

Parhelion, fresh from the diving competition, paused as he entered the ring. There was a teeming mass of ponydom before him, along with their tents and banners and signs and streamers and booths and tables and....it was quite a sight to behold. Ordinarly, it would have been slightly intimidating, but the day was so beautiful, and had gone so well, that the raucous atmosphere just brought a smile to his face.

Too tired at the moment to fly, Parhelion wandered the crowd, looking for either a Stalliongrad tent or anypony he might know. "Wish I'd brought a sign," he said to himself. "Wonder if I can find that bar-owner from Winter Wrap up...Muggo?"

A red Pegasus with a churro stuffed into the side of her mouth popped out of one of the tents, "Yew ooking fer...", she stopped, finished off her snack and continued, "Excuse me.", she cleared her throat, "You looking for ol' Muggo' Ale? He's an old friend of mine.", she rubbed the back of her neck with her right front leg, "Haven't seen him yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if he or any of his family set up a booth here. Just got here myself and saw some of the events. Talk about some impressive feats...So, where do you know that old rascal from? We've been on a few adventures together.", she trailed off for a moment to adjust the form fitting bodysuit she was wearing.

(If I forget anyone in this post just send me a quick Pm and I'll edit a response to your character in, there are an awful lot of you lol)

PinkLadyBanner.jpg

The room was practically a BUZZ with activity, "Give me a moment!" She called out to the crowd and smiled cheerfully pouring every single pony that asked for a glass of lemonade a nice glass..the pitcher was low so she reached down in her cooler and got out her back up pitcher that was resting there, also filled with frozen fruit pieces... Though she did grimace as one pony dove in, swallowed her glass and then loudly chewed the frozen fruit...it made her insides feel all warm though when the formerly rude Gryphon for a second time came to Lady's defense..even if the first time she hadn't meant to.. "Thank you Miss Gilda I appreciate you keeping them in line, you are the perfect bouncer" She said and smiled, though was a little worried when she got challenged by the same loudmouth from before.

"Yes Please take it outside" She glanced at the Stallion that asked her if it had been like this all day "Oh No sir it just recently picked up like this!" She said and smiled...face going pink as the Duke started to speak to her...and then it went bright red as he got cut off... ugh... "Could you just What?" She asked a little eager for clarification.

She gave the quite timid pony that came in the food he asked for, in fact she gave all that requested a food item..their food item "Here you all are enjoy !" She called out before moving to lean on the table, taking a moment to drink some of her own lemonade "Mhmm" She let the calm wash over her. After gathering herself for a moment she flicked her mane and adjusted it.

Glancing at the one that had dove, gulped, slurped, and chewed and had been reprimanded by Gilda, Lady smiled as she apologized"Thank you for the apology I appreciate it " She assured her " If you all would like to go watch Gilda win please feel free to come back inside once it is over, I'v some watercress and carrot samwiches as well as Chilled Parsnip Stew for anyone that desires a good lunch!"

CanterlotAvatar.png

QuickLime settled down by Berry and smiled watching Pinchy and Reno, it was adorable, she could tell there was some form of puppy love going on between the two due to how they acted around each other, and she couldn't help smile at it, the usually cranky pony with a persistent frown on her face was finding it harder and harder to be like that around Berry and her charming daughter...they just brought out the best in Pony-long-legs.

"Hn?" She glanced over to Berry and smiled "I'v been doing pretty good, my little cousin is now living with me to be my apprentice..she's around Ruby's age so I was thinking they could go on a play date? Her Parents are here for the Pony Games so she's with them" Besides she hadn't wanted the little anklebiter in her way..."So Yes I am with a gorgeous mare and her adorable filly things are going beyond well"

reno-.jpg

Reno blushed as Ruby pulled him into a hug and he grinned hugging her back, glancing at Miss Punch he grinned"You're only in trouble if ya get caught ma'am! So no trouble!" He exclaimed before hearing Ruby exclaim that he got his cutie mark. He sat up and stood up so they could see the rope leaning against the cowboy hat "Yeah! I got it a few days ago at AppleJack's farm! She was teachin me how to tie a rope an I couldn't at first but I kept tryin! Then I did ! an I tried to lasso somethin! And it was like magic! I lassoed AppleBloom and she ate th' dirt and then POW" He glanced at his flank "I got it!"

He blushed a little bit calming down now and rubbed the back of his head with his hoof"And um..I owe her an apology for that ... but apparently My special talent is that I'm destined to be a rodeo pony!" He bucked his back legs before coughing and then offered Pinchy the ribbon "Oh..I um..I got this foryou..."

As it would turn out, Fire Walker had it dead on target. While he wasn't participating in any of the games, being a bit on the older side for that, Muggo' Ale had definitely come to enjoy the spectacle, and earn a few bits while he was at it. A tent, with the front open to some folding tables to serve as a counter, was set up around the training ring, providing drinks of all varieties, for a rather fair price, and all of them made back at the bar in Fillydelphia. There were barrels of fruit juices, and casks of his best ale, all ready to be sold. The tent was easily recognizable to anypony who'd ever visited his little corner of Fillydelphia: emblazoned on the side was the logo of his bar, and the words "The Prancing Pony" in bright gold below it. The owner of the tent, said Muggo' Ale, was off walking about, seeing what could be seen, when a familiar flash of red caught his eye. He trotted over and sure enough, there was an old friend of his.

Muggo' whistled to get Fire's attention as he trotted over, looking much the same as always, his bakersboy hat set on his head as usual. "Fire! How's ya gettin' on?" he asked pleasantly, thumping her gently on the arm with a hoof, before noticing the pony she was talking to. A grey-coated pegasus that he took a moment to remember. But, without fail, Muggo' tended to remember most ponies he'd met.

"Well! Celestia t'underin', ain't this a small world we be standin' on! We worked together, few months a'back. Winter Wrap-up, if me mind is workin' properly. Parhelion, yeah, b'y?" he asked. It was a rather unique name, not one he'd heard before, and so he trusted that his mind wasn't confusing this pony with somepony else.

Parhelion turned to the red pegasus. "Well, that answers your question," he said with a laugh. "Fire, is it? I'm Parhelion. Out of Stalliongrad. Nice to meet you. And good to see you again, Muggo! Things seem a bit calmer than the last time we were here, huh?"

He chuckled, and said to Fire, "I wondered if he'd be here, selling some of the ale I've heard about." He offered hoof-bumps all around.

The Pegasus smiled warmly as stallion wandered over, "Things are fine, really they are.", as she spoke, her left eye started to twitch, which was one of the signs she was not telling the truth. "Winter Wrap up?". it took her a moment to figure out what they were talking about before it set in. The somewhat traditional ponies in Ponyville actually had to physically clean up the mess winter had left them to move onto spring,as opposed to the proper way of just using magic to take care of it all.

She nodded as Parhelion spoke, but kept her eyes on Muggo', "So you think you're going to need any help?", more than a few times, the younger pony had helped the stallion at his pub during the busier seasons and she had (slowly) learned how to become a decent bartender, "Was considering doing one of the events here, but to be honest, I'm not very comfortable with large crowds watching me."

Timid gratefully accepted the plate of food. He said to Pink Lady, "Thank you very much!", before trotting over to Polaris. An apple fritter and an omelette? How did she know?, he thought with a smile on his face.

Reaching Polaris, he gave a polite nod to Shanna and then patiently waited his turn to speak with him. He politely ate his food while he waited, noticing Reno and Ruby picnicking outside with two mares he didn't recognize.

"Aye, definitely calmer. Not seein' any manticores this time 'round, but if they show up, we'll show 'em what's what, aye?" he said with a grin, happy to see somepony he recognized, beyond Fire Walker of course.

Speaking of Fire, he got the distinct impression from her that she wasn't telling the whole truth. He shrugged. "Nah, I got it covered. But if ya want to come along an' keep me company, that'd be appreciated." the earth pony said. He was one booth among many, and he figured while he may get busy, it was nothing the veteran bartender couldn't handle.

He smiled and thanked Parhelion, saying much the same thing, before looking back at Fire. "Ya look like ya could use a drink. Tent's just over back a bit, if ya want." he offered, mostly to try and see what had her looking so glum.

"Maybe later..I'm just not feeling very iron-ish at the moment. More like copper. Or mercury...That's a metal right?", she gave the pony a sheepish grin before turning her attention back to Muggo', "If you don't mind, I'm going to change out of this thing and into something less, er..silly. Meet you all in a little bit, I'll be more than happy to help you with both the pouring and drinking...", she quickly bolted away and vanished into the crowd.

"Yer askin' the wrong pony." Muggo' said simply when she talked about the metals. He grinned a little and nodded. "Aye, go for it. I'll be 'round." he said, surprised when she bolted. There definitely was something on her mind.

He turned to look at Parhelion, nodding. "Aye, she's a friend. Her an' another friend o' mine have gone on a few adventures together." he explained, motioning for the pony to follow him as he made his way back to his tent, climbing behind the folding tables and taking his spot inside.

"So, what about ya? Here to participate in some games? I heard ya mentionin' some cloud divin'?"

~Pink Lady's Refreshment Tent~

With a shake of his head, Polaris turned back to Pink Lady. “I just what?” he echoed, nonplussed for a moment, before a small spot of high colour bloomed on each side of his muzzle. “Oh! I do beg your pardon, but in the excitement of the recent...” he hunted for a sufficiently neutral word “...contretemps, shall we say? I completely forgot what I was going to say. It was complimentary, though – of that you can be sure.

He coughed, diffidently. “I don't suppose, though, whilst I've got your attention, I could have another glass of that excellent lemonade? It's got just the right amount of tangy zestiness to offset the sweetness, and it quite reminds me of my foalhood.” He smiled fondly – but briefly – at the memory. “And...I know it's an imposition, but would you mind awfully letting me have a small punnet of raspberries – if you have any left, that is – later on? I'll pay, of course,” he reassured her quickly “but you see, I've some bottles of Rosaillé Grand Sol-” the silky Pranceish name of fine champagne rolled easily off his tongue “-back at my pavilion and it's just divine with some fresh raspberries.

He regarded the griffon's form with a mixture of interest and contemplation as she squared up to the challenger pony, feathers bristling, chest puffed out and talons flexing – classic griffon posturing. He nodded subtly towards Gilda and lowered his voice, a rich aside that would only carry as far as Pink Lady. “You know, when – although I really should say if; our challenger pony might just pull a miracle out of that trenchcoat – Gilda wins this, she's going to be dreadfully smug. Do you think it would be too terribly cruel to tell her – from a safe distance, knowing what I do about griffon tempers - I'm thinking of endowing the Gilda Griffon Trophy as a prize for the most abject loser in the Iron Pony games? Purely as a means of puncturing that 'might makes right' mentality of hers, of course,” he added, deadpan.

Parhelion nodded. "Yep. Just wrapped up the diving competition. Wow! Some really great showponyship there, a lot of ponies having a lot of fun. I don't think I'll get a rosette, but I feel like my training paid off and I did okay. " He pauses, looking thoughtfully in the direction Fire Walker trotted off in, and then seems to think better of asking any questions. "How have things been going for you back home? Any exciting new developments in the city?"

Shanna smiled happily at Duke Polaris' words "Thank you, Polaris!"

As Polaris' attention was drawn to the intense unicorn challenging Gida Griffon, the twins noticed the foal waiting to speak to Duke Polaris.

Chorusing together, they said "Hello." with Shanna adding "I saw you at the CRPR event. Are you having fun here at the games?"

Hoss smiled, having thought he saw this foal in at least one event "Have you tried many of the events?"

While the twins were killing time waiting for their friends to catch up with them, another pegasus entered the tent. Candy Catch-em, the famous Critter Wrangler with her bola cutie mark. The mare sauntered up to the table "Free? Sounds good to me!"

"Hey, speak of respect!" The earth pony interjected her head between the two "contestants," fixing them both with a rueful stare. "Take hoof-wrestling outside; you might upset the nice mare's refreshment table, and other ponies want to partake of it!" She nodded at the two who had just come in. "Now, we can take the show out of the tent, let everypony else see this!"

"Good point. Let's roll." muttered Swift through clenched teeth. He was okay with the fact of taking on Gilda in public...well more public. If he will be able to beat griffon outside, then her pride will be shattered completly - at last that is what he assumed. Waiting for the aquellian resoponse he glared back at Polaris. He could see his view on things but as all things it was only one side of the coin. Still he didn't have time to waste his focus needed at upcoming struggle for debate about that with Glistering Aristocratic Tongue.

"Whatever" Squall said clinically, this one word being his only response after Duke speech.

Timid turned his attention to the twin pegasi who had greeted him in chorus. It seemed that Polaris was still busy dealing with the unicorn and griffin attempting to settle their argument with hoof wrestling. He gave them a friendly smile before replying, "Hey there! Oh yeah, I was at the CRPR. I'm guessing you were the one who patted me with a wingtip correct?" He nodded at Shanna's inquiry about his enjoyment of the games before answering Hoss question with a nervous smile, "Uh, I've only done the cloud dive, sir. I nearly fell off the ladder when a storm hit and then had a magical mishap during the dive." He gestured at his blackened mane and tail that was still emitting tiny wisps of smoke before continuing on with pride in his voice, "Instead of manipulating a cloud, I ignited my mane and tail. I still managed to score a 42 despite that issue. I kinda hit the lake like a flaming meteor as a finishing move. Oh, I'm Timid Star by the way."

Parhelion nodded. "Yep. Just wrapped up the diving competition. Wow! Some really great showponyship there, a lot of ponies having a lot of fun. I don't think I'll get a rosette, but I feel like my training paid off and I did okay. " He pauses, looking thoughtfully in the direction Fire Walker trotted off in, and then seems to think better of asking any questions. "How have things been going for you back home? Any exciting new developments in the city?"

Muggo' Ale poured out a cup of water for himself as Parhelion spoke. "An' it's more the thought that counts, yeah? Ya compete, an' did yer best. Even if ya didn't place in a top spot, ya still made it." he pointed out.

"Oh, not a whole heck o' a lot. Bar's still runnin' strong, been seein' a mare, just the standard. It's what's been happenin' outside o' Fillydelphia's that's been excitin'...been on a few adventures, an' ya wouldn't believe who one o' them was for. I'm sorta supposed to keep it on the quiet, so I'll let ya guess, an' ya didn't hear it from me if ya get it right." the earth pony said with a wink and a laugh.

"So, what can I getcha, b'y?"

"How about some of your famous cider? Let's see how it measures up against Stalliongrad brew," Parhelion said with a chuckle. "Adventures, huh? Hmm...someone stole the moon? No, Id've probably heard about that...hmm...Earth ponies are usually strong, sensible, with big hearts and a good head on their shoulders. I'd want someone like that for any expedition into the unknown." He looks at Muggo, his expression half-questioning, trying to see if he's getting warmer.

Dunder Bust wasn't really the type of pony to be considering joining any of the Iron Pony competitions. The competitions had a lack of risks of getting smacked in the head with a wooden sword for his taste. Anyway, there were a lot slimmer and faster ponies than he, so might as well not go through the trouble and anxiety of trying to win one of the competitions. Maybe if one was to come about sparking some interest, he would join.

As of now, the free area was more to his liking. Anyway, he heard there were food and drinks there and the hope of maybe seeing Muggo' there aside from the food and drinks was pretty darn good.

He trotted into the open ring and instantly started to look around. When he spotted Muggo' he also spotted Fire sitting inside of a "Pracing Pony" tent, his heart instantly bursting with joy at the sight of two of his friends. He galloped over, slowing down at the entrance, "Hey! Muggo' and Fire!"He said happily and trotted over. "And get me a soda, boy, and I'm going to tell you now that I'm not going to pay you." He said with a grin to Muggo'