Watch (and discuss) S01EP18 - The Show Stoppers

Tam

For the folks that haven't watched yet, and for those that might need a little refresher on the latest episode.

Here's an experiment - and if everyone likes it, we'll continue it for future episodes. We'll link to Youtube embeds of the latest episode as soon as they're made available, then open a thread to discuss it. I'd like to avoid discussing the latest and greatest episode at least until it's confirmed to be posted online and a thread like this is made. Many of us don't have The Hub, (In my case, I don't even have cable.) and we don't want people posting dozens of threads all talking about the same thing. :D

Thanks go to MyLittlePony1080p for uploading these.

My take on this episode is that the creators seem to be having a lot of fun - and the animation keeps getting better and better. I got confused on what 'the moral' of the episode is supposed to be, though. I assume it's that no one's in their right place yet, and until they figure out what -they- want to do with their selves, the Crusaders won't get their cutie marks.

At the same time I have to admit I wasn't quite a fan of all the singing. xD But I think it was definitely an attempt to draw little girls in -- little girls like to sing in off-key, annoying voices. Right?

Oooh~ I think a single thread discussing the latest episode is a wonderful idea.

They did a fantastic job with this episode. I love how the creators are branching out with the characters. As much as I love main cast character-specific episodes, I think this one did a great job showing off more of the community and bringing "background" characters into the spotlight.

BUT YEAH I AGREE the singing did kind of irk me, but it was all in good fun and didn't do anything against the episode.

That being said, I'm an impatient little brat and I want them to get their cutie marks NOW NOW NOW.

WE ARE THE CUTIE MARK CRUSADERS!!! :)

I think it's neat that we get to see what their actual talents are in this episode, even if they don't realize that the stuff they're good at is the stuff they already like to do.

But it's interesting that in Stare Master, the three CMC couldn't fix the table(?), but in The Show Stoppers, we see that Apple Bloom is good at fixing things (and decorative taste?), when she fixes up the clubhouse. I guess because Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle were helping her she didn't use her talent to its full potential.

This episode was so precious! I loved the dancing/singing number they did! Too awesome! I'm really glad that with every episode, we get to see a little more of their hidden talents. I'm hoping for a cute music note for Sweetie Belle, something crafty and apple-y like an apple with ribbons for Apple Bloom, and maybe a skateboard or helmet for Scootaloo!

With it being so late in the first season, I completely understand why they're shifting focus a bit. It fills out the world, provides backstory... but they'll probably bring things abck to the main cast just as soon as the Crusaders get their marks.

Also, MLPtales, I would think the marks will be some sort of variation. Look at Rainbow Dash and how they updated hers... but I guess we'll have to wait, to find out. :D

With it being so late in the first season, I completely understand why they're shifting focus a bit. It fills out the world, provides backstory... but they'll probably bring things abck to the main cast just as soon as the Crusaders get their marks.

Also, MLPtales, I would think the marks will be some sort of variation. Look at Rainbow Dash and how they updated hers... but I guess we'll have to wait, to find out. :D

What did her old cutie mark look like?

Well, Dash's Cutie Mark looks like a combo of G1 Firefly and G3 Rainbow Dash.

Reference so you can see what I'm talking about: http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2 ... oncept.jpg

But as far as I can tell, Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle only had their appearance in G3.

Well, Dash's Cutie Mark looks like a combo of G1 Firefly and G3 Rainbow Dash.

Reference so you can see what I'm talking about: http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2 ... oncept.jpg

But as far as I can tell, Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle only had their appearance in G3.

Wow that is a great chart! Dash's concept art that Faust drew is epic, I would love to see that pony in the show (or maybe I'll just RP her :P)

If you read the thing on the side, Faust can't use her original pony sketches, with the exception of Applejack. Hasbro no longer owns the rights to the characters, since they are from G1. So sorry, but there won't be a Firefly showing up. Rainbow Dash is the closest we get. However, as Faust said, "I just put Firefly's brain in Rainbow Dash." So, in a way, I suppose, we actually DO get see Faust's original characters, but their personalities, not their designs.

If you read the thing on the side, Faust can't use her original pony sketches, with the exception of Applejack. Hasbro no longer owns the rights to the characters, since they are from G1. So sorry, but there won't be a Firefly showing up. Rainbow Dash is the closest we get. However, as Faust said, "I just put Firefly's brain in Rainbow Dash." So, in a way, I suppose, we actually DO get see Faust's original characters, but their personalities, not their designs.

aw yeah true, it's cool... already over it. Made an RP character for the board based on what I thought of when I saw the concept art :)

Hold up, it appears Apple Bloom WAS in the G3 series. At least the toy line.

Toy fail?

Sadly, given the logo those are actually G4 toys. The G3.5 logo was different... But admittedly the toys don't look like their cartoon counterparts very much. Princess Celestia is PINK in most of the toys, yet WHITE IN THE BOX ART AND CARTOON...

Hold up, it appears Apple Bloom WAS in the G3 series. At least the toy line.

Toy fail?

Sadly, given the logo those are actually G4 toys. The G3.5 logo was different... But admittedly the toys don't look like their cartoon counterparts very much. Princess Celestia is PINK in most of the toys, yet WHITE IN THE BOX ART AND CARTOON...

Ah, you're right. The ponies remind me of the G3 babies, with the large heads. Anyway, I don't think this toy exists. Couldn't find it on Amazon, not to mention if it's G4 that is totally Scootaloo and not Apple Bloom.

I like this idea, Tam. Yaaay discussion.

I really enjoyed the first half of this episode, but once it got to the actual talent show itself I found it really boring and slow. :/ Also they used the "my little ponies" pun/gag too many times for one episode. I love the CMC, especially Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle, so naturally I was rather excited about an episode focusing on them. I really enjoyed them "crusading", fixing up their new clubhouse, and preparing for the talent show. That whole part was pretty funny and extremely cute.

However, the whole song part took waaaaaayyy too long in my opinion. There's only so long that I can laugh at off key singing and a bunch of ponies embarrassing themselves. Also Snips and Snails were there and their very existence kinda makes me wanna punch something most of the time. So overall this was a weaker episode in my book. I still enjoyed it overall but it pretty much hits the bottom of the barrel of the all the episodes I've seen so far. :/

I like the idea of having a single official latest episode discussion thread with embedded links, if only to make it easier for everyone to chat about it. Only suggestion I have is perhaps "sticky" the new episode thread in a prominent location each tome one comes out, so everyone can easily know when one is started and can participate. I don't know if the forum you all are using has that feature or not.