Watch (and discuss) S01EP18 - The Show Stoppers

Tam

hi hi

I liked the episode well enough, though I think it could have been stronger. There are a few different ways the could have done this. I know the whole search for the cutie mark thing is an analogy for self discovery, but as it stands with me, it exists one degree of separation too far away to suspend disbelief without a bit of mental effort. On one hand it would be nice if they had a foil that wasn't themselves, like an external problem that they are able to solve, even if they don't find out their special talent. They could have relegated "the goal" to MacGuffin status and have them learn some different lesson in the process of the search (much like the first half of the classic nine act story structure). There was a lot of potential in the first half of the episode to have gone on all kinds of different adventures and have learned all kinds of different things.

A different option might have been to attempt to ground the cutie mark goal more strongly in reality and really emphasize the different character traits in each of the three, in regards to how they handle overcoming obstacles differently. I hope that sooner or later one of them gets their cutie mark before the others and then we can learn the lesson that people don't need to be the same in order to remain friends, or they all make their mark and learn the valuable lesson that life is full of diverse challenges and that even if you aren't the best at something it is worth trying anyway.

I didn't mind the song and dance bit at the end, Rarity's first fashion show made me feel a lot more anxiety. Overall I think this episode could have used just a smidgameter more polish.

I've watched about 5 minutes of this and i'll edit this later when I can watch the rest, but so far, I wish they'd go back to episodes about the main 6. I'm tired of the CMC. Maybe they could have little appearences if they go back to normal episodes instead?

Good news is the next several are going to be around the main six again; I believe today's is going to be a Rarity episode.

Sounds much better lmao. I love Rarity episodes.

Okayyy just finished it. I began to enjoy it more the longer it ran, actually. Did anyone else notice that after they got the award, Applejack and Rarity showed up....and Rainbow Dash?

I know that she's been confirmed to not be related to Scootaloo but...she showed up with the other two. A bit wierd?

Okayyy just finished it. I began to enjoy it more the longer it ran, actually. Did anyone else notice that after they got the award, Applejack and Rarity showed up....and Rainbow Dash?

I know that she's been confirmed to not be related to Scootaloo but...she showed up with the other two. A bit wierd?

She is there to support her friends who are they to support their siblings; not much odder than Twilight being there. :)

She is there to support her friends who are they to support their siblings; not much odder than Twilight being there. :)

But why weren't Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie there?

Twilight seems to be familiar with everyone who stars in an episode xD I guess she's got the excuse of being the central character, but yeah, why weren't the other two there if that's the reason for RD being there?

Twilight seems to be familiar with everyone who stars in an episode xD I guess she's got the excuse of being the central character, but yeah, why weren't the other two there if that's the reason for RD being there?

Twilight Sparkle is in Ponyville learning about friendship. Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo are very good friends, so Twilight is simply studying them XD. Rarity and Applejack are relations, so what is with the random RD?

Twilight Sparkle is in Ponyville learning about friendship. Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo are very good friends, so Twilight is simply studying them XD. Rarity and Applejack are relations, so what is with the random RD?

Maybe she is Scoot's mentor on everything cool. :D

Maybe she is Scoot's mentor on everything cool. :D

It's a good idea, but we've never seen them together. Ever. Except if you count this episode, in which they are in the same place at the same time, but not actually hanging out together.

It's a good idea, but we've never seen them together. Ever. Except if you count this episode, in which they are in the same place at the same time, but not actually hanging out together.

In reality likely one of the animators is a big Rainbow Dash fan and figured "hey I'll give her a bring cameo because there will be no objection to that" and put her in.

In reality likely one of the animators is a big Rainbow Dash fan and figured "hey I'll give her a bring cameo because there will be no objection to that" and put her in.

Everybody is a fan of Dash.

Everybody is a fan of Dash.

everypony is gay for Rainb-.. wait...