[ Nova - Unicorn ]

Name: Nova

Sex: Female

Species: Unicorn

Pelt Color: A dusty, slightly pinkish grey

Mane/Tail Color & Style: Very long, striped in shades of bright reddish pink, a watermelon, bright reddish-orange and fuchsia. Because she is such a tomboy, it's usually kept braided and in little tiny buns all along her hair-line, and her tail is braided, coiled around itself with a shorter tuft so it just looks like she has a short-ish tail. Because her parents began braiding her hair at a very young age, and she continued the tradition when she was old enough because it was convenient, her mane and tail are quite long when not in braids.

Eye Color: The pink color of Cotton Candy. She often has magnifying goggles on (that she half discovered/ half invented with the help of her father in order to see farther along the plains and desert stretches of her new home.

Cutie Mark: crystals (not literal, line drawings in the same vein as Rarity's) in the shape of a constellation, but she hasn't figured out which one yet.

Physique: Average for an active filly her age.

Residence: Just outside of Appleoosa, but originally from Hoofington

Occupation: Amateur Astronomer / Student/ Amateur Adventurer / full-time adorable

Motivation: Nova's parents were sweethearts who fell truly in love one night while watching a meteor shower from the beach of their childhood homes near the beautiful beaches of SeaSaddle bay, so they promised to give any of their future children named related to astronomy. Nova does love looking at the night sky, and she uses her special talent, centered around the finding and manipulating silicates, to help her make simple devices to see them better. Right now she can just find flawless quartz, that she uses for lenses. She is learning to make glass, though, and probably will be able to once she hones her powers, and maybe takes a bunch of chemistry courses.

Likes: Space! learning new things, exploring, collecting specimens to study later

Dislikes: There's not much she dislikes, but she's not so keen on griffins, and is a little afraid of them from a foalhood encounter.

Character Summary:

Nova was born in Hoofington to two unicorns with very down-to-earth powers, literally. Both of her parents' special talents lay in the manipulation of rocks and minerals. They hoped that their children would reach for the stars, so they gave them both astronomy-based names and fostered an interest in the starry skies since they were newborn foals.

Nova enjoyed a happy foalhood with her parents and brother, and actively kept track of astronomical events as her favorite hobby. One day a comet was to appear in the skies of Equestria, a comet that only returned every 100 years. Nova was so excited, but couldn't find a telescope anywhere in town to see it more clearly. She paced along the beach, but suddenly felt a tingle on her horn, and to her surprise a large, clear stone was unburying itself from the sand at her hooves. She looked at it and realized she was moving it with her horn, but as soon as she did she lost control and dropped it in the water, which cleared it from all the wet sand that had stuck to it. When she finally regained control of the stone, she noticed that it magnified the sand around her. In a flash of inspiration, she pointed it at the night sky. She not only got to see the comet close up that night, but got her starry cutie mark as well! A mixture between her families' traditional talents, and the talent that her parents encouraged. A nice mix of nature vs. nurture.

Since she discovered her special talent, she's been working very hard learning how to use it to make the best lenses that she can in hopes to one day build the best telescope in Equestria, to discover plants and stars that other ponies have never seen (and to discover what constellation her cute mark is based on). While her older brother, Moonstone is handsome and extremely talented in the telekinetics department, Nova is substantially less so. She can move things about to a degree, but really only has a good control over quartz and related minerals. About what she is best at is polishing rocks with sand, making sand fly, and eventually causing it to heat up enough to fuse it to form glass. She's working on it, but nothing but a few fused droplets have happened yet. She is a rather young unicorn, and patient, so she knows that it will take her a lot of work to perfect glassmaking and is up to the challenge.

Nova almost never goes anywhere without her goggles and what she calls her 'kit' and Jonagold calls 'Secret Spy Gear', which is a box her father helped her make that consists of several interchangeable tubes and lenses to form primitive magnifying equipment (Note to Mods: this is actually based on a kid's toy from the 1920s called Koptor. Very simple, but very effective) that she carries in her saddlebag. Her knowledge of minerals, soil types, fossils and stars are about akin to that annoying kid in your fifth grade class who always won the science fair. But Nova is no "stay indoors" type of unicorn. This happy unicorn throws herself into learning everything she can about the physical world around her, less through book work and more through hands-on study and observation. A tireless adventurer and active kind of gal, she's quickly adapted to the canyons of her new home and can leap from nook to nook with the grace of a mountain goat.

Her dedication to exploring the world around her doesn't keep her from making friends, though. She is always looking for ponies to go on adventures with, and is a very loyal friend to those colts or fillies that share her interests, and have patience for the fact that sometimes she'll stop what she's doing to pry an interesting rock loose from a cliffside or press a flower in a notebook she always carries. She is still very much a filly, and what she has in grace and knowledge beyond her years is made up for when she speaks: She is an excitable spazz who frequently uses malapropisms and stumbles over her words. She also is a wee bit too fond of completely horrible puns.

About her family

Her Father, Lucky Strike: the unicorn who only struck gold (before moving to Appleoosa) on the day he gained HIS cutie mark, and then only enough to forge it into a horn ornament for his childhood sweetheart. His magic power involves the discovery and manipulation of softer metals, but he is a jewelry-maker by trade. Despite Hoofington being quite the tourist destination, his supply of raw materials to create his wares was limited. He could feel gold just off shore, though (old Pirate's booty), but couldn't get to it.

Her Mother, Coral Stone, has the curious and unique power to find Dragon Fossils (and other ones, but she gets the strongest read on Dragons). There were not many in Hoofington. She and her husband often collaborate on fossil-based jewelry.

NOTES:

This was originally supposed to be Galaxy. I would prefer to use Galaxy

Galaxy is a G1 character, and was always one of my favorites, her attitude and personality (not really job or motivation though) here is the one I made for her as a kid. This is more of my restitution for having one of my favorite characters SO ANNOYING in their original animated depiction. She was such a bossy, no-fun Concernicus. This will probably be the last g1 pony I apply for,

If the use of G1 characters is approved, this will be her appearance.

[ Galaxy - Unicorn ]

Name: Galaxy

Sex: Female

Species: Unicorn

Pelt Color: Lilac

Mane/Tail Color & Style: Very long, striped in shades of bright reddish pink, a watermelon-like pink, bright reddish-orange and white.

I like this character. The only issue is that being a G1, I don't know where we're standing at the moment, if they're being considered cast or not, so I will have to leave it up to the powers that be to decide on it. Failing that, if you wanted to base a new character on this one, but change her just enough not to be a G1 (after all, this is how our FiM friends came to be!) that'd work even better. I think we're somewhat sketchy on them mostly because we don't know if official previous generation characters will make it into the show later in which case we'd have to go about and find all the ones that were previously approved.

Put a bit more about Galaxy herself in here, like her personality, her drives, any faults or perks in her life that shape her into the pony she is. Stargazing is such a wonderful pasttime, and I think we could do with more stargazers. They tend to make some of the sweetest ponies I've seen yet. The one thing I don't quite get is how the quartz polishing relates, but it could be something she does as a hobby...though this could be worked out a bit more, it still seems a bit rough around the edges considering everything else. Perhaps as part of her, she can make her own lenses this way?

It was my understanding that if the pony hasn't appeared in the show. They're not to be considered cast. Even if you were to apply for a pony that has a G4 toy version.

If the G1 doesn't have a G3 incarnation (ie, Moondancer, Cotton Candy, Minty ect.) I don't think there will be a problem, because it most likely means that Hasbro didn't retain the rights to their names.

It was my understanding that if the pony hasn't appeared in the show. They're not to be considered cast. Even if you were to apply for a pony that has a G4 toy version.

If the G1 doesn't have a G3 incarnation (ie, Moondancer, Cotton Candy, Minty ect.) I don't think there will be a problem, because it most likely means that Hasbro didn't retain the rights to their names.

I'm waiting to hear from Ashi on a final verdict for how we're going to handle these. It's possible that Hasbro can re-aquire the trademarks for these names again in the future if they so choose, that and we're not really sure which ones they -do- own, and which ones they've kept on backorder for later usage. I don't really think it'll be a problem either, I just didn't want to leave it unmentioned in case it does. The big problem is if they do become G4 incarnations, of keeping track, though I suppose at any point any characters could become G4 incarnations. I'm willing to let it go, however, in favor of the other minor things. Otherwise I can see this going forward.

Yeah, I have a few more days of work to do on this one (don't worry, she has her own personality, likes and dislikes and I am working on that simultaneously with a short "how she met Jonagold" story)

I just wanted to get a placeholder up, and stake my claim. Just in case! But yeah, let me know what Ashi says. I am fairly sure that Galaxy was an abandoned character, though, because she was one of the main characters of the' '86 show, but wasn't used in any form in any other generation.

And yes, quartz is originally how she makes her lenses to gaze at the stars more closely (the polishing an refining comes later, as a hobby).

But I am still working on it (thus the "very wip" qualifier in the title) :( I don't feel like revising 30 times on the board again, so I am just doing it in word.