Windows 8

The problem is that Metro is very tablet oriented and not good for the average desktop user.

Its something made for a touchscreen and not really a keyboard or mouse.

For mobile devices I can see it for sure but traditional non touchscreen desktops or laptops is another story.

The problem is Microsoft doesnt see it like that, force every device to use the same UI.

Now this is not a new idea as Ubuntu Linux has been doing the same basic thing with its new interface called unity, but where I think Unity succeeds where Metro fails is that it still has the desktop user in mind.

After all compare this:

Windows 8 with its new metro interface:

Windows_8_start_screen.png

Ubuntu Unity as it in in Ubuntu 12.04:

Ubuntu_12.04_Final_Live_CD_Screenshot.png

Both are considered next generation interfaces, but one clearly has desktops in mind and not just a bunch of random squares.

Metro seems like it was designed by a four year old, with big pretty icons.

Unity feels more like a Mac crossed with windows 7 and that is more or less its aim, to be sort of the middle.

Microsoft has no idea what this will do to older users of windows, it will once again drive a rift and perhaps drive more people to buy a Mac or use Linux.

I've tried it on my friend's touch screen laptop. It's not that bad.

Its great... for Tablet PCs

Problem is it isn't a good operating system design for full desktop PCs. In its desire to appeal to the typical consumer who uses the computer to basically surf the Web, play Facebook games, and share videos of their vacation and pictures of their pets, Microsoft decided to ignore people who use the computer for high powered applications and desire their OS to be straightforward versus pretty.

• Like 1

Windows 8 is okay. That's all. It's nothing really special. I mean, you can switch to a Windows 7 view (but pressing the start button will take you to the "metro" thing). I personally will be sticking with Windows 7 for a long time to come - it has served me well - but Windows 8 is a great thing for Tablet PC's which, I hate to admit it, are the future of computing.

Windows 8 is okay. That's all. It's nothing really special. I mean, you can switch to a Windows 7 view (but pressing the start button will take you to the "metro" thing). I personally will be sticking with Windows 7 for a long time to come - it has served me well - but Windows 8 is a great thing for Tablet PC's which, I hate to admit it, are the future of computing.

Well yes Tablets arte the future though traditional desktops will still be around thanks to hardcore gamers and tweakers.

Used Windows XP for quite a long time on my desktops, 2003-2011; but I am happy with Windows 7. For me, when it comes to Windows operating systems, it is a lot like Star Trek movies, where you have a good one, then a bad one, then a good one, rinse and repeat. Windows 98 was decent, Windows ME was awful, Windows XP was great, Vista sucked, and I really like Windows 7, but Windows 8 looks like it would just annoy me.

For those still using XP on older machines you may want to consider using Linux instead as next year XP is gone.

Sure you loose gaming support and netflix support but those would go away eventually on XP anyway or if you installed windows 7.

As for 7 I dont forsee it going anywhere, once 8 flops 7 will get an extended life like XP did.

A lot of people already wont use metro anyway, and it will only sell on newer tablet based computers that are well out of peoples price ranges now.

For those still using XP on older machines you may want to consider using Linux instead as next year XP is gone.

Sure you loose gaming support and netflix support but those would go away eventually on XP anyway or if you installed windows 7.

As for 7 I dont forsee it going anywhere, once 8 flops 7 will get an extended life like XP did.

A lot of people already wont use metro anyway, and it will only sell on newer tablet based computers that are well out of peoples price ranges now.

It should be noted Windows XP Service Pack 3 support doesn't end until April 8, 2014. Until that date, security and other patches will still be regularly updated and offered. As for gaming support, that of course depends individually on the game.

The problem is that Metro is very tablet oriented and not good for the average desktop user.

Its something made for a touchscreen and not really a keyboard or mouse.

For mobile devices I can see it for sure but traditional non touchscreen desktops or laptops is another story.

The problem is Microsoft doesnt see it like that, force every device to use the same UI.

Now this is not a new idea as Ubuntu Linux has been doing the same basic thing with its new interface called unity, but where I think Unity succeeds where Metro fails is that it still has the desktop user in mind.

After all compare this:

Windows 8 with its new metro interface:

Windows_8_start_screen.png

Ubuntu Unity as it in in Ubuntu 12.04:

Ubuntu_12.04_Final_Live_CD_Screenshot.png

Both are considered next generation interfaces, but one clearly has desktops in mind and not just a bunch of random squares.

Metro seems like it was designed by a four year old, with big pretty icons.

Unity feels more like a Mac crossed with windows 7 and that is more or less its aim, to be sort of the middle.

Microsoft has no idea what this will do to older users of windows, it will once again drive a rift and perhaps drive more people to buy a Mac or use Linux.

I dunno. It looks really pretty to me. I know there are some people out there that need functionality over a nice UI, so the Metro UI is probably a big turn off for them. They can always go back to their old comp's. I for one am going to see how it is soon. It may only be good for average consumer type things, but I still want it. I still have a desktop running Vista Home to run all my heavy duty programs and such.

Its unfortunate, but Microsoft has always put the average consumer first. And apparently...this is what they want now a days.

Edit: And if push comes to shove, I can always mod it :D

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure it's great for tablets, and therefore will NOT be entering my PC.

I've seen the Server version of it here at work and I just don't like it. It's too trendy, among other things. I don't want my OS to be fashionable, I want it to be stable and user-friendly. Windows 8 is just new crap thrown on top of Windows 7 - crap that I don't need, so I'll stick with 7.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I prefer a pristine desktop versus all that clutter. Social media? Pppht. Don't want it sitting right out on the desktop where anyone can see it. Weather forecast? Meh, ask me tonight and I'll tell you what happened. Email preview right on the desktop? Can we say virus welcome mat? Sorry, gonna keep 7 around for a long while. Maybe once I finish my next Cisco cert learn some Linux and put it on my current rig and build a new one.