Trillium

[ Pony Related Character ]

Name: Trillium

Sex: Female

Species: Pony

Pelt Color: very pale greenish-grey, almost white.

Mane/Tail Color & Style: light spring yellow-green with highlights of a darker green here and there, and one thin pure white, and one thin maroon-colored streak near her forelock. Sometimes she puts flower clips or ribbons in her mane to keep it out of her eyes when she is working, but usually her mane and tail are loose.

Eye Color: plum

Cutie Mark: a painted Trillium, with green leaves.

Physique:a tiny bit overweight

Residence: Solstice Heights Foothills

Occupation: Spring flower nurturer (presumably a government-subsidized position)on the official Spring Plants Team of the Solstice Heights Foothills (basically takes flowers in the part of the Whitetail Woods closest to Canterlot). Wants to open a flower stand.

Motivation: Trillium the oldest of a long line of ponies whose job is taking care of the early-spring bulb and rhizome plants in the Whitetail Woods. As a foal she hoped and hoped and hoped that her cutie mark would reflect her name, as well as her favorite flower. While her talent was definitely taking care of the plants that her family has for generations, she focused extra hard as a filly on this one flower with three white petals. When she finally convinced her parents to take her on a specimen collecting trip in other parts of Equestria, she found a pink and white trillium that she had never seen before, and now its likeness graces her flank!

Likes: Spring, flowers, prancing in puddles, blowing the fluff off dandelions, flying kites, spontaneous walks in the woods, making new friends,

Dislikes: ponies who pick flowers that can't grow back, the ants; sometimes, ponies who take things for granted,

Character Summary:

Trillium is a relatively quiet and happy mare who loves her family, friends and job. Like many other sensitive, nurturing ponies, Trillium can be rather introspective and at times it is taken for granted that she never gets angry. Many ponies assume that because of her pastel colors and her gentle nature that she is afraid of mud and bugs, but that is not the case. In fact, part of her job it to help take care of colonies of insects that some of the plants depend on to spread their seeds (for those plants that she and the Spring Plants Team do not have to manually separate bulbs for in the fall). This leads to conflicts with the ants, who spread the Trillium seeds in an arbitrary fashion only too often (Trillium would prefer them to grow like lovely snowy drifts), but since they can't fully understand each other this is a constant conflict and headache in Trillium's life.

About the only other trouble she has in life is her unrequited crush on a stallion named River Birch who is also on the Spring Plants Team with her, and is somewhat a friend of hers. She finds herself doing extra work, or aimlessly trotting through the forest trying to look her prettiest in hopes he will be there and so struck by her beauty that he declares his undying love for her. She may or may not read too many romance novels (during the winter) where this happens. Trillium is a hopeless romantic.

Since her job is a flurry of near constant activity in the spring for a month or so, followed by a briefer workload in the fall as the ponies are prepping for the growing season (separating bulbs, collecting seeds, etc), she has a lot of free time in the summer that she fills with working in her garden plot, experimenting on hybrids, raising blue pollinating bees (that she brings to farms to help supplement her income; these are orchard mason bees, not honeybees, so don't go asking her for honey), longing after River Birch and traveling to other parts of Equestria. She has also, in the past few seasons, developed a strong "nesting instinct" so she is constantly trying to make her cottage pretty. She has always had a bit of an artistic flair, making sure that the flowers that she manages grow in groupings that don't look unnatural, but are yet pleasing to the eye, and this aesthetic carries over to her home decorating. Eclectic mixes of cast-off furniture and housewares from her various relatives, given fresh spring colors, fill her house in a tasteful, but not very sophisticated way.

She loves foals, fillies and colts and often helps them find trees in the woods to serve as the best bases for clubhouses, or plays games with them on the hills. A lot of the other ponies who live in the loose collection of homes that is not quite a village surrounding Canterlot ask her to babysit. She would like to have a few foals of her own some day. She is definitely ready to settle down and build a family, and is financially established and old enough to do so. Her extended family is all nearby and would love this as well, since Trillium is the oldest of the current generation. This doesn't help with her longing for River Birch.

She also loves making new friends, and would absolutely adore visiting you, especially if you could take her on a tour of the gardens and woodlands in your town!

Family

Her extended family lives all about the edges of Whitetail Woods. While they are not the first and only family to be responsible for the spring flowers there, they are definitely a multi-generational legacy:

Trillium's immediate family includes: Mom (Mayapple), Dad (Jack-in-the-Pulpit), Brother (Johnny Jump-Up) and Sister (Bleeding Heart). All are named after early spring plants or flowers, and all basically have stylized representations of the flower they are named after as cutie marks. They're a fairly solid and predictable bunch.

This is the flower that forms her cutie mark

trilliumundu.jpg

This is as close as I am gonna get her with Paint and a pony generator.

5710455829_b64038ea4a_m.jpg

Not sure where Solstice Heights Foothills is...if it's not on our map and hasn't been mentioned in the show, I don't think you can live there. If I've missed it please let me know, I'm a little derpy today.

Clever name though, I like it!

I'm not sure what you mean about the ants...are ponies able to communicate with them, sort of?

I like the part about the beesâ€â€Âseems pretty original.

Other than those couple of things, this seems pretty good!

Not sure where Solstice Heights Foothills is...if it's not on our map and hasn't been mentioned in the show, I don't think you can live there. If I've missed it please let me know, I'm a little derpy today.

Clever name though, I like it!

I'm not sure what you mean about the ants...are ponies able to communicate with them, sort of?

I like the part about the beesâ€â€Âseems pretty original.

Other than those couple of things, this seems pretty good!

Yes, it's on the map, it's the foothills around Canterlot. viewtopic.php?f=44&t=232 Trillium might be the only pony from there thus far! Poor thing, she needs friends.

She doesn't exactly verbally communicate them, about as much as a person can train smarter insects like bees in real life (not necessarily ants, but it stands to reason that every kind of life is just a tad bit smarter in Equestria since all animals seem to be bumped up a notch on the ol' smartness scale) .

She more like takes care of their nests and tries to sprinkle sugar/train them where she wants them to go and tries to WILL...and beg and plead with them to spread the seeds (which is not going to get her far). She'll put up walls and other obstructions (sticky stuff, etc) or tries to herd them, which annoys the ants, and they just do what they're going to do. She's successful about half the time in getting them to put the seeds where she wants them though these methods. It would probably be easier for her to just do it herself :)

It's about the same kind of battle that an organic gardener would have with any beneficial insects, you kind of anthropomorphize (Equinomorphize? Is that even a word???) them to the point that you get annoyed with them, because they are living things and you do depend on them, but they are not always dependable in the way you need them to be. This part of her personality/backstory is actually based on personal experience, both mine and my mom's, just replace "ants" with "ladybugs or praying mantises", and my grandfather's constant battle with Japanese Beetles.

Let me know how you think that this could be reworded so that it's clear that she has talents in taking care of certain insects that help her plants grow and has some very rudimentary methods of coercing them to be where she wants them to be, but they're not chit-chatting about the weather :)

I'll maintain that the "communication" is to this almost-our-world level of mostly one-sided on the Pony's part until we're shown otherwise on the show (i.e. insects show a higher intelligence). Then she'll discover she was simply taking a wrong approach in RP.

main app edited 5/18 to include her family.