Welcome To Ponyville! (FIM Fan Game)

tacobob

Just came out..Already downloaded it...Haven't had time to play it yet..It's supposed to be one of those interactive type video game novel type things....

I have a feeling this is where everyone got the "Ponyville In Ruins' pics from...

http://www.fillygamez.com/

• Like 1

Downloading it as I speak. :kissy: I was waiting for a new download link, and it's up, so yay! :D

I'm really excited for this, since I've been a fan of this project for a while now. :3

EDIT: I'm still on the tutorial, and I'm loving this game already. The music is great, the voice acting is great, and I'm just super-duper excited!

Full playthrough of Act 1. Not much to say, the game's plot is really stiff at the moment such as

when you meet Spike for the first time, I wanted to make him leave and stick with Rarity, but even though the game presents you with 3 choices they all lead to the same conclusion.

I would like this game more if it had more branching paths.

EDIT: Also, the final few scenes are buggy and prone to fail loading things, resulting in an eventual crash.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been extremely interested in trying this game the last few weeks...

Tell me, is the interaction with characters any good? I've wanted a Pony game for a while now where you can actually interact with ponies and it ISN'T contrived or stock-texted, xD

I've been extremely interested in trying this game the last few weeks...

Tell me, is the interaction with characters any good? I've wanted a Pony game for a while now where you can actually interact with ponies and it ISN'T contrived or stock-texted, xD

How good the interaction with the characters is subjective, but in some cases the pony you're talking to will recognize your race and it will affect how long you speak with the character. RD comes to mind.

However, who you get to speak with is COMPLETELY linear: every encounter is preset, and you basically get a maximum of 3 dialogue options when asked a question, most of which barely alters anything.

The worst part though is the gender reactions: specifically, the game was clearly made in mind that you were a straight male, because some of the characters act as if you're one regardless of your actual chosen gender.

Scootaloo at one point jokes that you're acting as Rarity's coltfriend if you're playing as a male. If you're playing as a female? SHE JOKES THAT YOU'RE HER GIRLFRIEND!

The worst though is Vinyl Scratch. She tries to flirt with you regardless of your gender, but her dialogue has her claim that she is a "helpless mare" of sorts, which makes absolutely no sense for her to do against ANOTHER MARE. It's these moments where they should have the character act differently depending on your gender, yet the lines remaining unchanged means that you're completely driven out of the atmosphere.

It makes me wonder why they gave us the choice to choose genders in the first place.

How good the interaction with the characters is subjective, but in some cases the pony you're talking to will recognize your race and it will affect how long you speak with the character. RD comes to mind.

However, who you get to speak with is COMPLETELY linear: every encounter is preset, and you basically get a maximum of 3 dialogue options when asked a question, most of which barely alters anything.

The worst part though is the gender reactions: specifically, the game was clearly made in mind that you were a straight male, because some of the characters act as if you're one regardless of your actual chosen gender.

Scootaloo at one point jokes that you're acting as Rarity's coltfriend if you're playing as a male. If you're playing as a female? SHE JOKES THAT YOU'RE HER GIRLFRIEND!

The worst though is Vinyl Scratch. She tries to flirt with you regardless of your gender, but her dialogue has her claim that she is a "helpless mare" of sorts, which makes absolutely no sense for her to do against ANOTHER MARE. It's these moments where they should have the character act differently depending on your gender, yet the lines remaining unchanged means that you're completely driven out of the atmosphere.

It makes me wonder why they gave us the choice to choose genders in the first place.

Hmm...reading that spoiler-tagged bit, it makes me think they might have been attempting to cater to all parts of the fandom in the worst way possible; by not changing much.

To be fair, most of the fandom is male, so they were kinda bent at a whim there. However, it still is a shame that there's preset text. I was hoping for a unique experience compared to other games...but, I may just try this if I have some free time.

Hmm...reading that spoiler-tagged bit, it makes me think they might have been attempting to cater to all parts of the fandom in the worst way possible; by not changing much.

To be fair, most of the fandom is male, so they were kinda bent at a whim there. However, it still is a shame that there's preset text. I was hoping for a unique experience compared to other games...but, I may just try this if I have some free time.

For what it's worth, this could be because all of the dialogue is voiced (except for "yours"), they might only want to change dialogue when they can also have the voice clip for it ready.

Even still, I personally think their next episode should be released without voices early, so that they can then get feedback on what can be improved/should be changed.

For the voice acting they do have, Rarity's is excellent, but the others range from decent to inappropriate to cardboard.

They also should get some form of gameplay in as soon as possible, because it's extremely linear so far.

Finally, if they remake episode 1, THEY SHOULD DITCH THOSE HORROR DREAM SEGMENTS. They really have no place in this setting. And they're really amateurish in atmosphere anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

For what it's worth, this could be because all of the dialogue is voiced (except for "yours"), they might only want to change dialogue when they can also have the voice clip for it ready.

Even still, I personally think their next episode should be released without voices early, so that they can then get feedback on what can be improved/should be changed.

For the voice acting they do have, Rarity's is excellent, but the others range from decent to inappropriate to cardboard.

They also should get some form of gameplay in as soon as possible, because it's extremely linear so far.

Finally, if they remake episode 1, THEY SHOULD DITCH THOSE HORROR DREAM SEGMENTS. They really have no place in this setting. And they're really amateurish in atmosphere anyway.

I respectfully disagree, in a lot of interviews, they said this was a very story focused game, so I am guessing that these nightmare sequences will have a huge impact on the character and everyone else.

My interview with them was an epic fail, so I was very happy to see how far they had came after I interviewed them. So far though, while big boys like EQD have been very positive about this game, Equestria Gaming viewed it rather negatively saying the only reason people really wanted to play it was so that they could date a pony from what I saw. This "Date a pony" assumption was partially correct, it was highly an overhyped feature (though I did find It quite interesting that it can help play into the main story) was a subject I tried to avoid in my interview while still touching upon minimally. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CB4QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdevilmaycry.org%2Fcommunity%2Fthreads%2Fmrrandomlulz-gets-an-interview-with-fillygamez.11217%2F&ei=__OWUIqvGYeE8AS04ICgBA&usg=AFQjCNHYza-AAiMR_by-AR3Kajqhbjzv6g&sig2=Vzc788-9YEQDZMPNnsf-XQ

I also would like to point out the Lightning Round and Celestia Radio had some great interviews as well. And I've been following this game since less than a month after it's development started.

And really, the voice acting isn't terrible considering this is a NO-budget project, IMHO we should be grateful that they are making it in the first place, and trying to make a decent story and fun game, rather than worrying about little things like Voice acting. Especially since they have huge names like Rina-chan and TheLivingTombstone.

But enough silly talk, onto the real question:How do I get Applejack to fall in love with me in this game? 36e05s.jpg

I respectfully disagree, in a lot of interviews, they said this was a very story focused game, so I am guessing that these nightmare sequences will have a huge impact on the character and everyone else.

My interview with them was an epic fail, so I was very happy to see how far they had came after I interviewed them. So far though, while big boys like EQD have been very positive about this game, Equestria Gaming viewed it rather negatively saying the only reason people really wanted to play it was so that they could date a pony from what I saw. This "Date a pony" assumption was partially correct, it was highly an overhyped feature (though I did find It quite interesting that it can help play into the main story) was a subject I tried to avoid in my interview while still touching upon minimally. http://devilmaycry.o...ygamez.11217/"]

I also would like to point out the Lightning Round and Celestia Radio had some great interviews as well. And I've been following this game since less than a month after it's development started.

And really, the voice acting isn't terrible considering this is a NO-budget project, IMHO we should be grateful that they are making it in the first place, and trying to make a decent story and fun game, rather than worrying about little things like Voice acting. Especially since they have huge names like Rina-chan and TheLivingTombstone.

But enough silly talk, onto the real question:How do I get Applejack to fall in love with me in this game? 36e05s.jpg

What a silly way to say rainbow dash!

It was good for what it was. I didn't feel any real story hook, which would have been acceptable if it had more branching in it. The voice over work was done pretty well. I liked the inclusion of the background ponies; I disliked how they all played to fanon type very narrowly, I guess you can look at it in one of two ways: As a story heavy visual novel game, I'm not entirely invested yet. The potential is there, but I'm not feeling the nightmare stuff and since the first act was a simple introduction, I'm not feeling the characters. I'm excited for the next act, but it isn't like MLP:Online, Fighting is Magic, or MLI where I keep track of it.

As a dating sim type game, it might work. However, considering the work involved, they want to be more than that.

I prefer games without voice acting. Good facial expressions and good in character writing do the job better IMHO than having fan VAs.

Given the limited budget I wonder if the game would have benefited from not having voice acting and a greater amount of choices and dialgue. Of course unless a game is on a console I often watch TV while playing so voice acting is not something I really care about at all.