Scales of Steel: Into the Burning Maw (Closed)

Solaria

Dawn looked around himself, observing his surroundings and companions. It was now that the reality truly sunk in on just how out of his element he was. This wasn't some regal hall in Canterlot's prestigious university, nor was it a comfortable office, or the delightful dome of an observatory. To him, this was like another world, one that he never assumed existed, it was cold, most likely bitter, and had likely more secrets behind it than it appeared. It would appear his vigor from his previous cheer was still lingering on though, as the thought of mystery and possibly danger no longer intimidated him; if anything, it was challenging him.

He wasn't sure whether or not to get better acquainted with this group at this current time, as he was afraid of seeming like an outsider with little to no knowledge of the journey and likely, hardships ahead. For the moment, he continued his duties of simply being the pony with the map and the medical supplies, directing when needed and not really speaking too much, opting for a more stoic guide approach.

The pegasus couldn't help but wonder though...what was his motivation? At first glance it would appear it was out of spite for his superiors back in Canterlot or having nothing better to do, but there was distinctly something more there, something niggling at the back of his mind. "[colour=#b22222]What is in this place we're heading...? What will we find there? What are we all looking for?[/colour]" were questions that shot around in his mind, but one question that didn't occur was 'Was it worth it?' as he already had an answer to that. It was.

Bamboo shuddered in the cold breeze, her size a definite disadvantage in the deep snow, but she was nothing if not tenacious, and she bounded on, sword strapped to her back as her tail swatted at the snow in front of her, sending flurries from side to side. The mare gritted her teeth as she pushed on, taking in the others in the group. There was of course the loud, confident mare and the Gryphon who had asked the question she always got, the two curious unicorns who buzzed with magic and the stallion who had the rustling map. And then there was the mare, Andromeda. Something about her made the little earth pony very, VERY nervous, like she was in the company of someone very important.

"I can 'see' using my other senses. I spent many years honing my sense of hearing to the point that I can echo locate, in a similar way to bats. That's why I have to have my hair tied back, and I will often hit the ground with my sword, to create a loud noise," she said, as she trudged on through the snow, shuddering as the deep snow touched against her stomach. She sighed softly, anticipating the next question and answering it despite not being asked.

"I have never been able to see, nor do I much care for it. My life is a challenge, and I am thankful for that, without the chance to shine, I would have nothing," she said quietly, hanging back from the group a little bit more. She was feeling more and more like she shouldn't have come on the trip.

The little mare pressed on, however, losing her focus on the group a little as she 'explored' the local area. Absolutely nothing. For as far as she could hear, which was probably twenty, thirty metres or so, there was nothing but ice and snow, and the howling of the winds. But there was something that made the mare nervous, even moreso than the strange mare with no aura. Something else was with them, in those woods. Something fast, and quiet, quiet enough that it left a blank where there should have been noise. She did not tell the group, however, for fear of raising panic. If she was lucky, it would be nothing, and she would not need to react. And if the other alternative presented itself, well, she would be ready.

• 2 months later...