Fashions of Equestria (Chapien, SteelEagle, Davroth. All others - invite only)

RarityDash

9YbJG.png

The catwalk part of the show was slowly wrapping up, and the blue mare of fashion was mildly disappointed with the show in general, which, for normal ponies, translated into a above average, which meant something in a city where fashion shows of a very high calibre took place every day. It took something truly outstanding to get Photo Finish excited nowadays.

The music toned down, and the visitors started to mingle. She would have no part of that. As she made her way backstage, a great many ponies tried to get her attention, but ultimately, nopony was surprised that she didn't give them as much as a passing glance. She was the blue mare of fashion after all.

Her thoughts were focused on the single stand-out of the show. Valen had something that time and money couldn't give you. Of course he lacked the professionalism of a Gilded Lily, but what he had was natural poise in spares. So much so that Photo Finish found it inexcusable to deprive the world of fashion from his modelling skills.

It looked like she would have part of it after all. Valen Orange was the centre of attention backstage. She had stood there quietly, but when the young stallion, who introduced himself as Constant Shift, started to suggest an Equestria ranging tour, she couldn't contain herself. This was the perfect opportunity to see if Valen Orange had what it took to be a haute couture model.

[colour=#dda0dd]"Ja, I agree. Ve should take zis fashon show on tour. Ze fashion world of Equestria needz to see zis new Gilded Lily and ze designs of Miss..."[/colour] She tried to remember the name:[colour=#dda0dd] "...Sparsity."[/colour] Yes, that was it, definitely. [colour=#dda0dd]"I vill cover it personally and endorse it in ze Couture magazine."[/colour]

ValenOrange1withtext.png

Valen was taken aback by exactly how excited Miss Rarity was, but he had to admit that few ponies could lay on the compliments into such fine layers as he. He could do wonders with words like she could with fabric, though he doubted anypony would notice his words half as well as they noticed her clothes. But then again he couldn't blame them, her designs were sublime and made even the most normal of features seem sweetly abnormal. She had a gift and her saying that it was in any measure an equal effort was instantly rejected by him. Her clothes could make even a colt such as himself look lovely. That was beyond skill. That was a gift!

And when she confirmed that this was to be the only show, he allowed himself a moment of relaxation. He was happy to have helped his friend and truth be told in some weaker moments of his, a fashion show in his mind was one of the few places he would wander to in self-inflicted confusion. If it had been a private show, then maybe he wouldn't have felt so strange during it, but it was what it was and he was just pleased to have it be over with. He had helped Rarity, worked with some of the finest in the industry, and later in a clearer moment would realize he looked darn good in the process.

[colour=#0033cc]"Yes, zat-"[/colour] He coughed, clearing his throat and allowing his voice to return to normal as the two were in private(or as private as they were going to get),[colour=#0033cc]"that's good. I'm not sure I could have kept that up-"[/colour] he was about to finish, but then a new pony burst in and Valen found himself sitting up straight. He was a rather firm looking colt of comparable age, but most importantly and as Valen would come to rue at a later date, his eyes seemed to shine with a sort of confidence that Valen himself lacked.

The new colt was an admirer of Gilded Lilly, which made Valen highly uncomfortable for about six dozen reasons that flew through his head in an increasingly terrifying roll of images. This was only extended as the colt proposed a tour- with Valen, Gilded Lilly, a part of it! The sheer thought of having to play this role all day every day for an unknown amount of time was one of the most ironic, fridge horror thoughts that had ever crossed his little mind. Trapped in a role that he would have loved to play at any other time or place for such a great lenth of time, where every thought and act was part of a show he had to put on for the benefit of others while having to combat the mixed feelings that would bubble underneath any colt(and most savagely of all, himself) in such a situation.

Thankfully, he had two friends in a high place.

[colour=#0033cc]"Aww, why zhank you Monsieur Shift for your kind words, but I am afraid zat zis was a one-time affair. Madame Rarity and Finish are to prepare for zer other-"[/colour] He began, remembering to slip into the accent just as Photo Finish made herself known- and immediately set Valen to a panic.

What was she doing!? Photo Finish KNEW who Valen was and didn't seem to care at all. Was it payback for an earlier comment? Probably not, as she seemed the type to not hold grudges to start with. It had to be- yes! If she was going to offer such support, then Valen must have done a wonderful job. He was filled with some mixed pride at that revelation but mostly he felt a surge of panic.

Thankfully, he had one friend in a high place.

[colour=#0033cc]"Non, non, zis- I zhank you for ze offer Madame Finish, but Madame Rarity simply cannot design clothing so quickly, yes? Her work iz delicate, requiring time and effort to blossom into 'er most magnifique designs," [/colour]On cue, Valen laid out his elegantly adorned foreleg as he looked back up to Miss Rarity, only the wavering eyes betraying hint of panic, [colour=#0033cc]"zat is correct, yes?"[/colour]

[colour=#FF8C00]"Ah, hello there. My name is Constant Shift and I just wanted to say... the show you put on was simply marvelous. I absolutely loved it. I simply had to come back here to express how amazing I felt the show was - particularly the bit with my personal favorite model, Gilded Lily,[/colour][colour=#FF8C00]and that I'd like to see more. I understand that this was a one time show but... you see... I'm of a rather wealthy background myself and I think that this show could do far more. I'd be willing to 'convince' my parents to fund this show to become a tour across Equestria, showcasing the designer's wonderful dress - and of course, the wonderful model!"[/colour]

Rarity chuckled at the sudden appearance of the young colt. How charming for a colt so young to be so inspired by the wonders of high fashion. under normal circumstances, Valen might have made a friend in this one. As it were, he--or rather Gilded Lily--made a fan. What an intriguing turn of events. She had to wonder what this young colt would think if he only knew the truth. Poor thing. It simply would be devastating to learn that his young crush wasn't what she appeared to be.

The rest of what was being said confused her some. She had thought from the presentation and the name of the show that Fashions of Equestria was a traveling show by its nature. Wasn't that the point of the thing? Or wait... did he mean not the show but the show? As in exactly this same show with this same line up and not just a rotating sample of dresses, models and designers? Rarity honestly wasnt' sure what to make of that possibility. This was a dress she was proud of, and showing it off all across Equestria would undeniably be a boon to her boutique. She could drum up so much press through this! However... it meant being away from Ponyville and away from the Boutique for a more protracted period than she liked. It also meant being forced to work alongside the arrogantly disobliging Photo Finish more. And that was to say nothing of Valen's place in all of this...

[colour=#DDA0DD]"Ja, I agree. Ve should take zis fashon show on tour. Ze fashion world of Equestria needz to see zis new Gilded Lily and ze designs of Miss...[/colour][colour=#DDA0DD]...Sparsity. [/colour][colour=#DDA0DD]I vill cover it personally and endorse it in ze Couture magazine."[/colour]

The unicorn stared in disbelief. The nerve of this mare to get her name wrong! Was she really so mundane and unremarkable? What was worse was her immediate approval of the idea. She knew! She knew this was Valen. She knew this was a young colt, cross-dressed and having no modeling experience nor want to continue in the role that had been forced upon him. What was this insufferable mare's angle? Was she really so desperate to bring emblazon her tawdry magazine with Valen's image?

Then again, it wouldn't just be Valen in the magazine or on the stage, it would be Valen in her dress. Valen wore it so well too... it would bring ponies into the Boutique. it would bring her more notoriety. It would make her a star! It really might be her big break. She didn't want young Valen to suffer through this though. She was torn.

[colour=#0033CC]"Non, non, zis- I zhank you for ze offer Madame Finish, but Madame Rarity simply cannot design clothing so quickly, yes? Her work iz delicate, requiring time and effort to blossom into 'er most magnifique designs, [/colour][colour=#0033CC]zat is correct, yes?"[/colour]

[colour=#663399]"Actually, VLily my work speed is quite excellent when I'm inspired... and for a traveling show, I doubt I'd need to make many more pieces in the first place,"[/colour] Rarity said through a sigh. She hoped Valen wouldnt' take any of this the wrong way.

She turned toward Constant and nodded. [colour=#663399]"I have some reservations staying on with the show for a protracted amount of time. I loathe to be away from my Boutique for too long and too much trouble can make me rather fussy." [/colour]

[colour=#663399]"That said, I would gladly consider it, so long as my model agrees,"[/colour] she said looking toward Valen. [colour=#663399]"Lily, I'd ask you'd at least consider this. Trust me, chances like this do not come around often in this game."[/colour]

Constant Shift couldn't help but smile. Everything was going according to plan so far, and it seemed the two mares in the room were in agreement that the show was at the very least a good idea. If this worked, it would be simply and absolutely perfect. It would allow him to see more of that absolutely stunning and beautiful Gilded Lily, as well as finally fulfill his parents' wish of getting away from his home and studies to go out and see the world - which he wasn't complaining about, after all. he had always wanted to travel, but never could make a real excuse for it. If he could convince the model now, everything would be perfect.

He smiled as convincingly as possible, turning to Gilded Lily. [colour=#ff8c00]"Well, it seems apparent to me that it wouldn't be much burden on your designer at all. Besides, think of the opportunity! A chance to see the world, a chance to gain the fame you deserve, a chance to be beautiful in front of ALL of Equestria - why, I get dizzy just thinking about it! So what do you say, Miss Lily?"[/colour]

9YbJG.png

Photo Finish allowed herself a content smile. This went far smoother then she had expected. It wasn't exactly common for a colt to try his hooves at modeling clothing designed for a mare, but it was a fascinating idea. Photo Finish was known to break new ground in the world of fashion. Where would modern haute couture be without the Flutter-look? Not to mention the thousands of models, designers and enthusiasts who depended on Couture for their monthly update on the world of fashion. Maybe there was no ground to break here as well. And once the time would arise, she would take credit for it.

This was a good opportunity, too. She wouldn't have to fund the whole thing, since that young, a bit androgynous looking mare (?) was already offering to flaunt her parent's money to finance the whole thing. It was almost perfect. All she had to do was to stay close, and have her ponies cover the event. And with any luck, young Valen Orange could be the biggest story in the world of fashion of the year. She wasn't about to waste any time on this.

[colour=#dda0dd]"PP? I vant you to take a note."[/colour] She said loudly. [colour=#dda0dd]"Ve need more cameras on zis show. And more ponies. Some Pegasi as vell. Ve will give zis show ze biggest covering ze world of fashion has ever seen." [/colour]She finished, pointing into the room dramatically and striking a pose.

No matter how mediocre this mare's designs might be, Photo Finish didn't mind that she would share some of the spotlight, and the publicity it would bring her. After all, only a fraction of the designers of Equestria were ever featured that exclusively in Couture. But it would be worth it.

ValenOrange1withtext.png

That traitor! Rarity didn't make the situation better at all, every word she allowed to slither out implicit in the slow destruction of Valen's hopes of getting out of dodge as quickly as possible. Valen didn't feel as though he should be as angry as he felt; nothing had happened yet. But there was something nerve wracking about the intensity in Constant Shift's eyes. He was quite enthused about the possibility, almost more than anypony else in the room should have had any reason to. It was a little, how does one say, complimentary that Valen had been so striking as a filly that within a single show he had an admirer. But of all the sad colts that attended these shoes Valen had to attract the one with means and the insanity to suggest something that a filly in his position would find positively alluring.

[colour=#0033cc]"Oh, yes, ze fame vold be...stunning..." [/colour]Valen said slowly as he felt the walls closing in, his chest tight as he tried to think of the ways out. It didn't help that Rarity, to visit a previous thought, wasn't giving him an easy way out. Instead of simply agreeing and giving him a way out, even if it meant a small arrow lodged in her impenetrable shield wall of pride, she had put the onus on him. What sort of friend would he be if he shut down her hopes and dreams so harshly? A poor one. But maybe he'd have to be a poor one and he's have to hope that she realized that forcing him on some cross-country tour wasn't something that she should be allowing or promoting. But if she didn't, he'd have to.

And Photo Finish, Celestia bless her, didn't help either. She was already planning the show out! If Valen let this insanity last much longer, then his opinions wouldn't matter much. Not that they did now but the illusion of it was valuable mental real estate.

[colour=#0033cc]"Oh, vat a wonderful idea, monsieur Shift...but I simply cannot make such a large decision on an empty stomach! I must eat dinner and discuss it with my most wonderful colleagues Bye bye now!"[/colour] Valen's speech came fast and frantic but maintained the same accent as in the most dainty yet physical manner possible pushed Constant towards the door.

[colour=#FF8C00]"Well, it seems apparent to me that it wouldn't be much burden on your designer at all. Besides, think of the opportunity! A chance to see the world, a chance to gain the fame you deserve, a chance to be beautiful in front of ALL of Equestria - why, I get dizzy just thinking about it! So what do you say, Miss Lily?"[/colour]

This charming young colt was nothing if not insistent. It would be cute and commendable if the circumstances weren't so bizarre and uncomfortable. Poor Valen, to have all this thrust upon him. Though it wasn't just him--regardless of what this colt thought, this was quite the commitment she was being asked to undertake as well. It would mean far too much travel, exhaustion, and overextension and that was only the half of it. The other half of it was the vexing photographer who's company she would be forced to be exposed to for an extended time.

[colour=#DDA0DD]"PP? I vant you to take a note. [/colour][colour=#DDA0DD]Ve need more cameras on zis show. And more ponies. Some Pegasi as vell. Ve will give zis show ze biggest covering ze world of fashion has ever seen." [/colour]

Speaking of which... that particular mare was running her mouth again. As if this mounting pressure on Valen wasn't bad enough, this mare had the gall to just make it worse! If she had been a bolder mare and in a sharper mood, Rarity might have went up to her and slapped the ridiculous yet undeniably fashionable sunglasses off of her pompous face. Instead she just curled her nose and let out a long sigh.

[colour=#0033CC]"Oh, yes, ze fame vold be...stunning..."[/colour]

The uncertainty in Valen's voice was apparent. Or, maybe "uncertainty" wasn't the right word? Terror, constriction, desperation, hopelessness, clear, obvious unavoidably staggering duress: any of those was probably a little closer. Poor, poor child. Rarity wanted to offer him some relief. She wanted to protect him. She didn't want to see him make a rash decision though, and especially not one that concerned all of them there. She was at a bit of a loss. She would just have to see what Valen did, she supposed.

[colour=#0033CC]"Oh, vat a wonderful idea, monsieur Shift...but I simply cannot make such a large decision on an empty stomach! I must eat dinner and discuss it with my most wonderful colleagues Bye bye now!"[/colour]

Valen's choice was a both rash and rational one. He quickly shoved his admirer from the room insisting he be given time to discuss the matter. Really, it was probably the best course of action he had. Whatever he would decide, it wasn't something he should rush. Rarity wanted to make sure he considered everything carefully.

[colour=#663399]"Dear, dear... what are we going to do?"[/colour] Rarity said, shaking her head and giving another long sigh. [colour=#663399]"I meant what I said; I think that this is a rare opportunity you're staring at, Valen. Other young models would give anything for the chance you have now... I know you don't want to, and I know it's a difficult choice... but you should definitely consider all the options before you."[/colour]

Constant blinked, a bit surprised and unnerved at Gilded Lily's reaction to this wonderful opportunity. What filly wouldn't want to travel across Equestria and show off her insane beauty? It seemed like every filly's dream - not that Constant Shift would know that sort of thing. He was at a loss for words; his wealth upbringing made him used to getting whatever he wanted, yet this Gilded Lily seemed extremely unwilling to do what could be extremely beneficial to herself! Was it nerves that stopped her, or was it something he said?

However, as he was being pushed out the door by Gilded Lily's insistence, he quickly heard an opening. She mentioned that she was hungry! Of course! The way into any filly's heart was through her stomach. Everything was clear to him now - Gilded Lily wanted, no, needed Constant to invite her to dinner before anything could be done or accomplished! With a prideful smile, he pushed his way back through the door.

[colour=#ffa500]"Oh! Of course! How rude of me. You must be starving after your brilliant performance,"[/colour] he began, shaking his head slightly, clearly ashamed at his own rudeness. [colour=#ffa500]"I understand perfectly. You cannot make a decision until you have had dinner - which is why I would like to extend my cordial invitation for me to take you out to eat! I'll pay, of course."[/colour]

• 2 weeks later...

9YbJG.png

The blue mare of fashion would not be deterred. She didn't even notice the designer mare's attempts to comfort Valen. In her mind, ecstasy was the only suitable reaction to being offered with such an opportunity. Everything else was just plain.. unthinkable. Inconceivable, even. So Photo Finish didn't even conceive that Valen was struggling with the idea. But that wouldn't be a problem. It never was.

And things seemed to just get better from there. The young mare who went by Constant Shift had just offered them dinner. She had expected nothing less, of course. It had been a while since she last paid for her dinner, actually. One of the perks of being her, even if, to herself, it was one of the most insignificant ones.

[colour=#dda0dd]"Ve vill take your generas offer to invite us for dinner, Constant Shift!"[/colour] She exclaimed. [colour=#dda0dd]"PP? Pack ze necessary zings. Ve are hafing dinner!"[/colour]

Not even waiting for a reaction one way or the other. She pushed past Constant shift and was on her way to the exit, even thought she had no idea where they were heading, she was sure someone would catch up to her and tell her.

ValenOrange1withtext.png

Celestia's unending closet of ornamental and festive tubesocks, there was no end in sight to this incessant activity that bordered some odd region between fantasy and nightmare. It wouldn't have been simple enough for Photo Finish to keep her overpowered trap shut, but no, she had to push through his makeshift defenses and launch an attack on his one escape route. It didn't help matters anyway that Constant Shift's offer was tempting in character, devilishly so, and the reasons to say no were small and based entirely on fear. Granted, it was reasonable and well grounded, but fear was fear and how much more could he oppose if the two adults did all they could assuage it?

None of this even took into account how penned in he felt by Constant's swift and sweet offer for dinner. It would have not only been rude, but baseless fir him to refuse since both adults(and Picture Perfect) were not on his side. Miss Rarity's words were so reasonably placed that he had little recourse left. Once again, Valen was screwed immensely by friends and colleagues and he began to suspect that forces greater than him were at play. Valen sighed and rubbed a hoof delicately across his features, mindful to remain in character. At least he still smelled good.

[colour=#0033cc]"That iz quite ze thoughtful offer, monseur Shift. It seems we will have company, no?"[/colour] He chuckled, drawing hair out of his eyes as he turned and shot Rarity ten shades of daggers,[colour=#0033cc] "Madame Rarity, if you would be zo kind as to join us, that would be vonderful!"[/colour] She started trotting out with Constant, a little freaked out. But hey, he'd convince the other two during a bathroom break and go back to normal. Everything would be okay!

[colour=#FFA500]"Oh! Of course! How rude of me. You must be starving after your brilliant performance, [/colour][colour=#FFA500]I understand perfectly. You cannot make a decision until you have had dinner - which is why I would like to extend my cordial invitation for me to take you out to eat! I'll pay, of course."[/colour]

Constant did not stay ejected for long. Seconds after Rarity had spoken her piece, he reemerged to boldly invite the "filly" to dinner. Rarity had to say she admired this young colt's resilience. He really must have been taken by what was in front of him to not give up. It was kind of cute and at the same time it was kind of sad. She felt sorry for both of them. Really in this situation it was both of them being strung along to some extent. She couldn't imagine anything good coming of this... and yet at the same time the opportunity presented here still did have a distinct appeal.

[colour=#DDA0DD]"Ve vill take your generas offer to invite us for dinner, Constant Shift! [/colour][colour=#DDA0DD]PP? Pack ze necessary zings. Ve are hafing dinner!"[/colour]

Us? Honestly, had this incorrigible peacock just invited herself and her assistant along like that? How incredibly rude. This mare was simply unbelievable. Had she no respect for these poor kids and their personal boundaries? Or did she just simply lack any and all tact. She was going to make this difficult for all of them. Rarity could tell already. Valen's chances of getting out of this at all become increasingly slim the more she forced her way into the discussion.

[colour=#0033CC]"That iz quite ze thoughtful offer, monseur Shift. It seems we will have company, no? [/colour][colour=#0033CC]Madame Rarity, if you would be zo kind as to join us, that would be vonderful!"[/colour]

Rarity wasn't surprised by the reaction. Valen didn't have a lot of other options now, especially not with Photo Finish inviting herself along as she did. His only discourse was to turn to her for support through this. Rarity nodded. There was no other option for here.

[colour=#663399]"Of course, Miss Lily. I would be delighted to accompany you if that is what you want," [/colour]she said giving a nod to Valen.

[colour=#663399]"Thank you for extending your kind invitation to me, darling,"[/colour] she added with a smile, making a sideways glance at the other mare in the room before looking back at Valen.

• 4 weeks later...

Constant seemed to be a bit stubborn about being pushed out the door, keeping his hooves down to make it as difficult as possible.[colour=#ff8c00] "Alright, great! I'll see you at eight o'clock, then! Have a great evening, Miss Lily![/colour]

As the door is slammed behind him, Constant Shift couldn't help but give a little jump of joy and cheer. His plan was successful! Finally, he'd be able to escape this wretched city and go on a tour across all of Equestria. That is, provided Miss Lily accepted. But why wouldn't she accept? Think of the fame, the fortune! No sane pony would ever turn down such an offer! And if Miss Lily did have her doubts - well, Constant would be able to convince her otherwise over dinner. He was known to be a very persuasive pony, after all. No mare, or even stallion, could resist his charms! At least, he hoped.

Meanwhile, back inside the backstage room, Picture Perfect stood next to his "friend" Photo Finish, nodding in agreement. He agreed with Photo Finish - such a journey would be the opportunity of a lifetime, for both Photo Finish's career and Valen. However, Picture Perfect decided to take a more delicate approach. "This is great, Valen. Think of the possibilities! You can see the world. Besides, this Constant Shift character seems nice enough - perhaps a genuine friendship can grow out of it?" He smiled reassuringly at Valen, trying to encourage him.

9YbJG.png

Fashion scene icon Photo Finish ran the necessary preparations for the evening. They were going to dine in a high society restaurant this evening, and she would have to pick a clothes for the occasion. More importantly, and it just occurred to her, they would need a whole new outfit for Valen as well. No selfrespecting model would wear the same dress she had worn to a show to an evening dinner.

[colour=#dda0dd]"Ve need a new dress for Valen. He can't wear zose for zis occasion. Gilded Lily vould never wear ze same dress twice like zat. Maybe a manecut, too. PP? Go make a last minute appointment wiz my hair dresser."[/colour]

She had to return to her studio and prepare herself, too, but that had to wait. What was most important was that Valen would look 'her' best for the evening. She almost envied him for the opportunity that had presented itself to him here.

[colour=#dda0dd]"Ve don't haf much time!"[/colour]

• 2 weeks later...

ValenOrange1withtext.png

Valen felt like a piece of meat for many reasons, almost all of them uneasy and a few of them somewhat alluring in a strange sense. Everypony involved was giving him the poor advice of going along with this crazy, likely illegal to some extent due to taking the name of another, and that was just the tip of it. They all saw the opportunity that, hate the implications as much as he did, Valen himself was attracted to. Travelling around all of Equestria, seeing the high life not as the sheltered son of a rich family, but as somepony worthy of recognition as limited as it was. He loved the idea of not only getting some free dresses, but plenty of them, and clothes to match all styles and flavours. He would be able to rub elbows with the movers and the shakers in the fashion industry on a day to day basis, the sort of access that would move similarly inclined ponies into madness. Under different conditions, this would be a dream come true.

But these weren't different conditions. These were terrifying conditions. Try as he might, Picture Perfect couldn't assuage Valen's fears. This Constant Shift fellow was beyond a little creepy- who was so enamored with a model after a performance that he would go to such lengths? Valen was sure that his fears were soon to be cast aside, but until they were, they were just that- fears. Fears he didn't consider entirely unfounded. Beyond Constant Shift, the fact that he would be the one on stage sent him chills throughout his body. Every day, dozens, hundreds, possibly thousands were going to be looking at not only the wonderful stylings of Miss Rarity, but judging his every move. One minor slipup at any time, any break from character, and the whole ceiling would come crashing down. His secret would be known, future life at the academy as hot as the sun, his parents would be angry at him for having lied, Rarity's career would be in shambles, Photo Finish would take a hit, Constant would feel betrayed, and Valen would never escape the shame.

And in the pit of his stomach, something unknowable yet laced with the greatest of import was slowly but surely gnawing at him, and the fact he didn't know why this concept intrigued and horrified him in the same breathe made it even worse. What was that looming awareness that seemed to be on the edge of his consciousness, whispering strange nothings and omens that he could not even begin to understand or accept? What was festering like a disease from within, a strange energy that laced those unknowable thoughts with dread and excitement, anxiousness and hope? Valen didn't know. He couldn't know. And that disturbed him. Combined with everything else, it made Valen utterly terrified at the notion of what was in store for him, as well as excited beyond all measure in ways he couldn't begin to express or fathom.

Not that he could have said no. It was decided. Constant, Rarity, Picture, and Finish were going to force him to accept it, one way or another. Even Rarity, his only true ally and dear friend, couldn't stomach him saying no. The opportunity this presented for all of them- Valen included- was so great that behind her concern for him was a ravenous desire. He could see it. He knew it. He knew he had it, but except for his love of fashion, he couldn't place what it was meant for. Photo Finish was not even considering Valen's opinion, making preparations that through sheer force of will everypony was going to follow. Picture Perfect would follow orders and for all intents and purposes, Valen was going to go through with this insanity, whether he really wanted to or not. The only thing he could do was do what he could to make sure that his acceptance had conditions- though the fact he was willing to accept it at all made his pelt stand up, a blush to overcome him, and an odd mix of excitement and heat blast up his spine.

Valen sighed, head in his hooves.

[colour=#0066cc]"...I suppose you should start on an evening dress, Miss Rarity. Madame Finish, if I'm going to get a manecut, I don't want anything too attention grabbing for the night," [/colour]Valen let his hooves drop out as his head slowly came to meet the others.

[colour=#0066cc]"But if I'm going to agree to this madness, then we're going to need to think of how this is going to work. I can't keep this up at all hours of the day, I'll crack and everypony will lose. Is Gilded Lilly her real name, or stage name?"[/colour] He asked, rubbing his hooves together with nervousness as he tried to get over the mental hurdles of trying to think of names for himself, how he was going to live day to day, what he would sound like or do. It was odd. Not all in a bad way, which made it worse.

"This is great, Valen. Think of the possibilities! You can see the world. Besides, this Constant Shift character seems nice enough - perhaps a genuine friendship can grow out of it?"

[colour=#DDA0DD]"Ve need a new dress for Valen. He can't wear zose for zis occasion. Gilded Lily vould never wear ze same dress twice like zat. Maybe a manecut, too. PP? Go make a last minute appointment wiz my hair dresser. [/colour][colour=#DDA0DD]Ve don't haf much time!"[/colour]

Finish and her follower continued to act insistent and in turn layer on the pressure thick, causing a sigh from the unicorn. It remained hard to watch. She felt for the young colt and hoped she could do something to make this easier for him. Poor thing. She wondered just what must be coursing through his mind at the moment. His thoughts must be alarmingly busy. He needed someone to stand at his side and support him. Rarity gave a small nod. That was in part her responsibility now, wasn't it? He didn't know about that quite yet, of course... but following a certain meeting, her role in this colt's life was set to be a more active one. She smiled at the colt warmly and stepped toward him.

[colour=#0066CC]"...I suppose you should start on an evening dress, Miss Rarity. Madame Finish, if I'm going to get a manecut, I don't want anything too attention grabbing for the night, [/colour][colour=#0066CC]But if I'm going to agree to this madness, then we're going to need to think of how this is going to work. I can't keep this up at all hours of the day, I'll crack and everypony will lose. Is Gilded Lilly her real name, or stage name?"[/colour]

She could sense the current of frantic anxiety in all the colt spoken. The nervous energy surrounding every action was palpable. As Constant was gone now, there was no danger in showing Valen the affection he needed. She pulled the colt in close and held him to her in an embrace. The fastidious and cold Photo Finish would surely look at the gesture in confusion and alarm, but Rarity didn't care. Valen needed some solace here.

[colour=#663399]"Calm down, darling... it'll be okay. I know it's hard... I know it's a lot to take in... but if you clear your head and take everything one step at a time, it'll be okay," [/colour]Rarity said in a sweet voice. In her own life she was one to frequently let herself get overwhelmed by pressure, so she definitely knew what having someone there for you could do to ease the anxieties.

[colour=#663399]"You can do this, Valen" [/colour]she said with a fond smile as she let the colt go. [colour=#663399]"I know you can. Just don't let it overwhelm you."[/colour]

Giving a nod as she stepped ahead, she spoke in a stronger voice.[colour=#663399] "I'll begin work on an evening dress right away. And trust me, darling. It will be so fabulous, it'll make you surge with confidence,"[/colour] she said, looking back at Valen.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

That evening. Constant left his home, shaking a little bit from nerves. He was quite used to dressing up, so to speak, but never had he had to actually convince an audience - let alone a model as stunning as Gilded Lily! He had dressed the very best he could while still looking relatively "casual" - a jacket and a blue tie, to be precise, with two expensive-looking saddlebags strapped to him. He took a deep breath of the crisp night air and began to walk back towards the location of the show, to pick up his date.

A date! Constant, despite his popularity at school, had never actually gone out with a filly before. Something about him seemed to dissuade potential mates.Perhaps it was that he was too good, and it frightened potential admirers. Or perhaps he was so popular that everyone assumed he had a fillyfriend. Or maybe it was because he- no, it couldn't be that. He was far too convincing to be revealed so easily.

He stopped as he reached his location, shuddering a little in the cold air (and a bit out of nervousness, admitably!). With a deep breath, he approached the backstage area and straightened his poster. He may be a nervous wreck, but he couldn't let Gilded Lily see any sign of weakness! He was the bravest colt ever - and he had to prove it. He knocked on the door with a deep breath.

[colour=#ff8c00]"Hello? It's me, Constant! I'm here to pick Lily up!"[/colour]

Meanwhile, Picture Perfect had been doing his best to help pick out outfits for the young, innocent Valen pick out an outfit, although Rarity, for the most part, had that bit covered. He turned to Rarity, holding a formal, if somewhat simple, dress. "How does this look? I think it would suit Valen." Of course, at that very moment, there was a loud knock on the door as Constant finally arrived. Picture Perfect jumped a little, before handing the dress to Valen. "It will have to do!"

• 4 weeks later...

9YbJG.png

Time just ticked away as they prepared Valen for "her" big evening. The blue mare of fashion, now clearly and openly fascinated by the prospect of sending the young stallion on a tour through Equestria as a model. So fascinated in fact, that she barely left his side until the latest star in the fashion scene was ready for "her" probably most difficult performance yet. Evening dinner.

Getting a manecut quickly devolved into an emergency spa visit, and an expensive one, too. One at one of those spas who usually require weeks of booking in advance, and even then you actually had to know the right ponies to be even left inside. But her name opened Photo Finish many doors, a fact she was more or less oblivious of in the grand scheme of things. All that mattered to her was that things happened the way she said they would, and it usually fell on her assistants to make it happen. But here in Manehattan, that was rarely a problem.

There were only a few hours left, and they truly made the most of it. Manecut, hooficure, massage, full body peelings... that was about as much as they could fit in before they had to return to Rarity, to fit Valen for "her" dress. All the while Photo Finish returned to her hotelroom, took a quick shower and fixed her own mane, then picked out a dress. She decided to go with one of those she had bought off of Hoity Toity's collection. It was a design of a young dress maker, a mare from Ponyville if she recalled, not that she had really any interest. But it was a dress she had worn a fair deal to interviews and big fashion events.

Evening arrived, and instead of waiting for the others, Photo Finish just took a coach directly to the restaurant, standing in the foyer, tapping her hoof somewhat impatiently, waiting for the others to arrive.

Every now and then, a few young ponies would attempt to trot up to her and talk to her, but to no avail. And really, while she was wearing her glasses, it was hard to tell if she even noticed it at all.

"How does this look? I think it would suit Valen."

Rarity gave an approving nod to Photo Finish's assistant. [colour=#663399]"A prudent choice, I believe,"[/colour] she said. The dress he had selected was simply yet elegant. It was a strong colour that she was certain would look just fabulous against the colt's coat.

It had been a lot of work getting Valen ready for the evening, especially given that hours ago Photo Finish herself had vanished to her hotelroom and never returned to them. Rarity had to wonder if the inexorably trying mare would even be there when they arrived. Everything about her screamed unreliable. How such a difficult personality had attracted so many admirers was truly baffling. All the same, Rarity did her best not to get frustrated. This was Valen's night and it was her part just to make sure it was a good one.

"It will have to do!"

Picture Perfect said as the door sounded with a loud knock. Apparently the time was at hoof. Rarity was sure Valen must be anxious. For her, all she could do now was hope insure the night unfolded fabulously. She would do all she could.

[colour=#663399]"I'll get that. You worry about getting dressed, Valen dear," [/colour]Rarity said, smiling at the colt. [colour=#663399]"And trust me. Everything is going to go fine tonight,"[/colour] she added with a sure nod before stepping to answer the door.

[colour=#FF8C00]"Hello? It's me, Constant! I'm here to pick Lily up!"[/colour]

The young pony spoke as Rarity opened the door. She smiled at him kindly.

[colour=#663399]"Good evening, dear!"[/colour] she said with a nod. [colour=#663399]"Lily should just be a moment. i do believe she is just finishing up getting herself dressed."[/colour]

[colour=#663399]"She really seemed so excited about tonight,"[/colour] Rarity added with a smirk.

ValenOrange1withtext.png

Everything he had wanted to do to make sure the evening wasn't going to crush his little soul was promptly ignored totally by everypony other than Rarity, whose calming attitudes and shows of affection were gratefully received and soothing, even if a bit weird. She suggested calm, to take this one step at a time. He was thankful somepony was saying that because otherwise he was flying by the seat of his flank and anypony who was anypony knew he wasn't the sort to count on for his improvisational skills. Still, he was happy at least one of them seemed to care for the scared colt underneath the mask and weren't just thinking of the river of bits they'd be making off of his labor and act. of course, her advice of not letting this overwhelm him gave him something firmer to hold onto, which more than anything was a relief.

He sighed.

[colour=#0033cc]"No, I won't."[/colour]

Valen had been completely overwhelmed and stunned into silence by the preparation. He wasn't prepared for the sheer onslaught unleashed by Photo Finish and hr whirlwind appointments across Manehattan's premiere beauty services, which he already had some familiarity with. But this was different, as the sorts of ponies Photo Finish dealt with seemed to take in her personality most favorably, and what followed was a few hours of such intensity that he could hardly believe it. He was no stranger to the spa or the saloon, indulging himself on his parent's bit on more than a few occasions but this was unlike any other time. The spa had gone to work on him like he was a mannequin given life. First were his hooves, which were given the most divine hooficure of his life. He had always loved them but this time it was like they brought out all the specialist gear. Even as a colt who kept himself proper at all times with a hint of feminine air, his hooves bore all the tell-tale stubbiness of colt hoof that anypony who got too close could see. As part of the hooficure he was somewhat rounded, and as they finished up the normal procedure, they brought out some new things. One coat of blueish-gray paint later, and he was ready for the shine. He had never had his hoof painted and with the next step taken, and most importantly hurried due to time constraints, his hoof ended up shiny. And slippery- as they walked him over to the next part of his preparation he had the hardest time not falling on his face.

Then came his full-body wash, which he had many times before and my oh my was it luxurious. He was dried off and he felt softer than silk, sensitive, and he smelled like fresh berries. The rubs felt nice, the face-mask was as sublime as usual, the clippings, straightenings, sauna- the whole experience wasn't all that bad, if a bit intense. He left the spa feeling okay, though he was having a lot of trouble walking and was getting evasive answers from the staff about the why. Then came to the stylist at a saloon so small that it served only one client at a time and you needed appointments weeks ahead of time. And a barrel of coins, which Photo Finish had. There they assaulted his mane, giving him extensions to make up for his lack of length. They then spent what seemed like forever with every possible fashion device on his hair, from rollers an curlers powered by steam to a few things he couldn't even identify. It took longer than he had wanted but by the end he had long, wavy hair with golden highlights that stretched halfway towards the middle of his back, with parted bangs expertly crafted to hide half of his face- the right side. All in all, good job, but he wondered why they had used some sort of Everfree glue for the extensions, and why they gave him a bill for seven hundred and sixteen bits as he left.

He finally returned to the backstage area, where only they remained. They set upon him like ravenous wolves. First came the makeup, which was applied expertly- nothing too heavy or garish rather accentuated his feminine features and drew down the prominence of his starkly coltish features which wouldn't unaided survive the night's rigorous inspection. It didn't take nearly as long as he had feared, but that proved to be the easiest part of the final stage of preparation. Picture Perfect and Rarity had decided on a simple purple dress if such a thing existed, and considering how he had nothing better to look forward to, he was content. But that wasn't going to happen- the dress was too big, just a few sizes so. It couldn't work. So the backstage workers filtered through a few outfits, eventually setting on one that only made him only a little uncomfortable. It obviously wasn't perfect, if anything too tight, but it was what it was. His top, covering where his hair ended to his flank, was a pink see through opaque top, classy and cute. It transitioned easily into a red finishing skirt that covered his tail well enough, even if the ends poked out. Rarity had done an amazing job. He had a nice golden bow to accentuate the golden highlights, and he also had shoes. Two tiny white high heels on his hind legs, which were going to prove to be a serious problem. They were two or three sizes smaller than would have been in any way reasonable, but the smoothness of his hooves allowed them to slip the things on.

So he was ready. As ready as he could ever be. [colour=#0033cc]"How do I look, Miss Rarity?" [/colour]he asked sheepishly, breathing shallowly as the waist cincher dug in at the joint of top and skirt. He didn't have time to take the response in however as Constant banged at the door. Rarity went ran interference for a minute, allowing Valen to suck his adam's apple in and prepare. He sauntered on over, clickity clack of heels announcing his presence as he assumed the diva personality.

[colour=#0033cc]"Out of my vay, dear,"[/colour] He said, opening the door some more to allow him to see his, err, her date. When he did, he gently pushed/aided Rarity in her move away.

[colour=#0033cc]"Darling! I vas beginning to fear that you vere all trot and no saddle, as it vere. Now, be a gentlecolt and show me avound to vatever passes as fine dining in this city. My word, it has none of the passion of Prance, but mais il est ce qui est il. Come! Ve have a night ahead of us, poneys du charme!"[/colour] He lilted out, leading the way as his lower body adjusted to the exaggerated wiggle of the high heels and waist cincher.

Some time later, they arrived at the restaurant and found Finish. What a traitor! She had left Valen to the crazy whims of the spa and stylists. But he grinned nonetheless.

[colour=#0033cc]"Ah! Photo Finish. I vas vondering if you had scuttled off to Las Pegasus vithout me. Quand vous allez dormir je vais vous donner un coup de pied dans le visage,"[/colour] He threatened, turning to Constant with a smile.

[colour=#0033cc]"Now, I assume you made reservations, oui?"[/colour]

• 1 month later...

Constant nearly fainted when he saw Lily. She looked simply fantastic. Even better than what he had expected, and he had rather high expectations to begin with. She must have truly amazing stylists - and her own natural beauty certainly helped as well, no doubt. He smiled a bit nervously. "Y-yes, let's go. I-I'm sure you're starving."

He cleared his throat and began to lead her to the restaurant. It wasn't terribly far away - they were in a very classy area of Manehatten, and there were plenty of gourmet restaurants nearby. He had, naturally, chosen the most exclusive and expensive one he knew of. His parents were more than willing to oblige and pay for whatever he ordered - after all, it was amazing that an egghead such as Constant was finally getting out and about - especially with a date!

The restaurant was just around the corner, and they arrived within five minutes. He turned to Lily and smiled. "Of course I made reservations. Only the best for my date!" he said, proudly. He strolled inside as if he owned the place and walked up to the host. "Table for two, under the name Constant Shift, please!" The host nodded and lead them to the table. They sat down and were given two menus. Constant picked up his menu and began purveying it, but he found it rather hard to order - the beautiful Gilded Lily was sitting just across from him and was rather distracting, after all!

• 4 weeks later...

9YbJG.png

The blue mare of fashion had a certain presence about her. It was hard to describe. Her demeanour was just grabbing the world by its collar and shook it, just screaming that she was a big deal, and that everyone should pay attention to her. But curiously enough, she never derived and satisfaction from all the attention given to her. Rather, she took it as a given, and though she didn't appreciate it most of the time, it was ultimately what allowed her to lead a pretty carefree life. Of course, an accomplished artist like Photo Finish deserved nothing less.

A small gaggle of fashionistas had gathered around her by the time the others arrived. They were hanging on her lips figuratively, that is, they would, if Photo Finish would have talked to them or acknowledged them at all. Once or twice she seemed to ruffle her nose in response to something. But it was hard to tell with her, especially since her face behind her custom made glasses didn't give away her emotions at any time.

Now, though, that the others arrived, she just trotted away, her fans waving and smiling as she left, this probably going to be a story they would continue to tell to their fashionista fans for years.

[colour=#dda0dd]"Ah, you haf arrived."[/colour] She said, addressing. She struck a dramatic pose, and her dress fluttered a little. She wore it for the first time, it was one of the dresses she had bought from her friend and colleague Hoity Toity, part of a collection created by a young designer from Ponyville. Her name eluded her at the moment.

As Constant led away "Lily", the blue mare of fashion followed them in some distance, motioning Rarity and Picture Perfect to follow them. As they reached the Maître De, he only nodded enthusiastically, his face lighting up considerably.

[colour=#a9a9a9]"Ah tablé for Photo Finish and two guests."[/colour] He said, swiftly ushering them to a table right next to Constant Shift and Valen, a table that has apparently had been recently vacated by its previous occupants, who were now sitting in a somewhat less prominent spot of the restaurant, a little disgruntled maybe, but ultimately feeling strangely honoured when they saw who they had made room for.

There were hoofed menus, a waiter waiting in a respectful distance, ready to take their order at any time. [colour=#dda0dd]"I vill have ze..."[/colour] She began, in a tone of voice that surely the whole restaurant had heard her, followed by a long, and very specific sounding order, ending with [colour=#dda0dd]"...and a bottle of ze finest spring water you haf."[/colour]