[Solstice Heights] Day Off [OPEN]

[colour=#FF8000]It was a day without worries for Spitfire the Wonderbolt. She decided to fly down from Cloudsdale to Garden Gait on her day off. She planned to give her wings a rest, perhaps go shopping or stop for lunch. Whatever it was, she would be walking, relaxing her wings and giving her hooves an overdue exercise. She lived in the clouds, she trained in the clouds, and all too often her hooves went weeks without touching solid earth.

The cool stone streets felt nice against her hooves, creating a light clip-clop as she walked. She glanced at the different shops, looking for something to catch her interest. The walk was nice, no doubt, but she hadn't been out and about for a few weeks now, and there were some payday wages burning a hole in her saddlebags.

That was when Spitfire spotted a coffee shop. Yes, that would be just the thing to get her up and going this afternoon. Of course it was afternoon—Spitfire had gone to bed earlier than usual the previous night, but had still taken the opportunity to sleep in. No sense wasting a day off in getting up early.

Spitfire opened the door, and a little bell above it chimed to announce the arrival of a customer. The fire maned Pegasus took in the menu before ordering her drink—a chocolate latte. She sat down to enjoy her coffee, breathing in its scent and then letting out a breath, allowing herself to be calmed before she took a sip of the beverage. Today was starting out good.[/colour]

Moon River sat quietly at a table not too far from the Wonderbolt, with a rather large pile of slips of paper piled on top of the left side of the small table. On the other far end of the table was a small cup of hot caramel apple cider. A yellowish white aura surrounded her horn, and using her magic, she picked up a slip of paper, carefully folding the paper accordingly to her given instructions by the small origami book in her light bag, sitting on the ground next to her chair. A small pile of yellow paper rabbits sat in a basket on the other side of her chair on the ground. Only one rabbit was out of the basket. It was a dark blue rabbit, with a yellow body.

A determined look on her face, River struggled as she attempted to make each and every fold perfect on the paper. Of course, she was a natural at this, but she had begun a new way of folding her paper rabbits just this morning. Feeling a bit tired, and wanting to get out of the house more, she had decided to take a trip to the coffee shop, and perfect her practice there. Her husband was off at work today, and she had the day off, so being able to do this was just perfect for her. She especially enjoyed the peace and quiet of the coffee shop, as well as the warm air, and fresh scent of coffee, and other snacks. It was nice to be able to get away like this, and it certainly was great to be able to enhance her skills with her magic and paperfolding.

That was where the problem kicked in. No matter how many times the blue unicorn tried, her magic just wouldn't cooperate with her! She continued to follow the instructions exactly as told in her book, but she just couldn't seem to get certain folds right! Flopping down on the table in exhaustion, River sighed, resting her head onto the cold table. She thought of how her blue and yellow rabbit would be mocking her right now. No, she had to think positively! Her moon rabbit was her friend. She'd understand, right?

[colour=#0000cd]River, c'mon! I know you can do it! Get your silly head off the table, and let's get cracking![/colour]

River sighed again. [colour=#d35d2e]"Rabbit, I just don't know if I can do it. It's hopeless....I guess the foals in Magic Kindergarten were right......I am a clumsy failure."[/colour]

[colour=#0000cd]No! You're not! You just need to try again! Lemme see you try this double fold one more time![/colour]

Shaking her head in defeat, River let out for what seemed like the hundredth sigh, and she picked up the already started on piece of paper, and began to ever-so-slightly fold the corner. In almost an instant, the paper nearly slipped, and caused River to flinch, making a large, ugly, unneeded fold right smack-dab in the middle of the yellow paper. Letting out a huff and squeak of anger, River slammed her hooves on the table, before resting her head on the table again in failure. The force of her slamming the table caused the blue and yellow rabbit to glide off the table. As another pony entered the shop, they opened the door quite quickly and powerfully, as if in a rush. The sharp tiny breeze caught the rabbit in it, causing it to gain more distance, until it landed right at Spitfire's hooves, lightly brushing against her leg.

GaleFlurrybanner.jpg

Spitfire was not the only WonderBolt longing for a bit of relaxation and comfort! He stepped in a little behind her, only wearing his glasses, the rest of his uniform tucked in his bag after being freshly cleaned, he spotted her and waved lightly at her as he went up to order himself a green tea iced latte with whipped cream and matcha sprinkled on the top, taking the cool treat he moved to sit at his own booth, since despite being on the same team he'd never be so rude as to just barge and sit at anothers table un invited, he took a deep drink of the cool green tea with milk and ice, feeling his muscles relax.

"Mhmm"

After drinking his tea he left the shop, waving a light goodbye.

(Sorry Tales, didn't mean to bother you)

• 2 weeks later...

[colour=#FF8000]Spitfire had noticed the blue Unicorn, as well as various other patrons she only cared to glance at, as she made her way to the empty table she now occupied. She hadn't paid her any special mind, as there was no necessity to give any of these strangers extra attention. She was here relaxing, not putting on a show, although any time she went out she expected to be recognized by somepony.

Just then, another blue pony entered the cafe, this one a Pegasus that Spitfire was familiar with. She waved back, and then turned back to her drink. The point of today was to get away from work, and she was grateful when Gale chose a different table, instead of trying to strike up a conversation. She gave a sigh of relief, taking a sip of her hot drink, as she felt something brush against her leg.

“Oh!” Spitfire cried in surprise as the scrap of paper tickled her. She looked down to see what it was, taking it in a hoof and examining it before turning to look for the source. The likely culprit was probably the one with a table full of similar papers, both flat and molded.

Spitfire huffed a breath in the direction of the part of her mane that was hanging over her forehead, using the burst of air to move it out of her eyes. Well, seeing as nopony had said anything yet, perhaps they wouldn't recognize her without her costume on. “Excuse me, is this yours?” she held up the half created paper creature toward the blue Unicorn.[/colour]

• 2 weeks later...

[colour=#FF8000]“Excuse me, is this yours?”[/colour]

River's ear flicked upwards as she heard the sudden voice come her way. Tired, and still a bit irritated, she continued to remain face down on the table for a few moments, mumbling to herself mentally, still somewhat focused on her constant mess-ups. The blue mare slowly lifted herself from the table, a blank, deadpanned look on her face. A slightly curious look poked at her poker face as she turned her head to face the new mare. Tilting her head, her eyes immediately widened at the sight of the terrifying atrocity she herself had made.[colour=#d35d2e] "O-Oh!...."[/colour] River looked down a bit, as if spacing out, before finishing her sentence. [colour=#d35d2e]"Yes. Yes it's mine."[/colour] she spoke in a quiet, yet mature tone.

The same pale yellow aura wrapped itself around the rabbit like a snake, carefully placing it on top of her table, in front of her. Mentally wanting to destroy the paper rabbit, she remained calm.[colour=#d35d2e] "Thank you for bringing it back."[/colour] River thanked the yellow pegasus. [colour=#d35d2e]"...."[/colour] Spacing out again with yet another silence, River hesitated, before introducing herself. [colour=#d35d2e]"My name's Moon River...Please call me River though....What's yours?"[/colour] she spoke in a less blank tone, with more of a questioning tone. Many thoughts were running through her mind, yet at the same time, she reacted very slowly. This happened rather often to the unicorn, so she began to take a sip of her cider, her magic lifting the cup up for her. It was warm, sweet, and made her a bit more alert, her posture quickly straightening, her eyes more focused.

[colour=#FF8000]Spitfire moved the crushed figure a little closer, wondering if perhaps the mare hadn't heard her since she didn't answer right away. She debated asking again, or perhaps just slipping the paper onto the table and walking away. She didn't want to appear rude, but she did want to get back to her coffee before it went cold.

“You're welcome.” The orange pegasus replied, when the other pony finally noticed her. “I'm Spitfire. Spitfire the—“ she paused, catching herself before she revealed her occupation. There wasn't a need to be so formal when she wasn't in a professional setting. “Just Spitfire.” she smiled, trying to appear friendly and at the same time cover her name blunder.

“It nice to meet you, River.” Spitfire hadn't quite decided if that was true or not, but it wouldn't hurt to be polite. “That looks interesting. What is it?” The blue unicorn didn't seem like she was much for conversation at the moment, and Spitfire did want to get back to her coffee. But she was intrigued by the little paper figures that dotted the table. With all the training and shows she did, she didn't have much time to get out.[/colour]

• 4 weeks later...

River tilted her head slightly as the yellow pegasus mare stopped herself mid-sentence. That was rather unusual, but River couldn't say that after what she had just done, as much as she had t he habit to point out things that intrigued or didn't please her. She couldn't allow herself to act like that, though, occasionally, a rather rude-sounding but unintentionally rude remark would happen to slip past her lips. This time, she was lucky.

[colour=#FF8000]“It's nice to meet you, River.”[/colour]

[colour=#d35d2e]"Well, pleased to meet you as well, Spitfire."[/colour] River game a small smile, trying to give off a less tired and bored atmosphere about herself. She was just about to store away her material when Spitfire spoke again, this time about the other rabbits.

[colour=#FF8000]“That looks interesting. What is it?”[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Suddenly, as if she was suddenly doused in ice water or told shocking news, her posture immediately straightened to how it was when she drank her cider. Anyone interested in her hobbies or likes were always met with a sharp u-turn[/colour] in terms of her current disposition. Her eyes brightened up and she was quick to answer.[colour=#d35d2e] "Oh, these are origami rabbits, or folded paper rabbits. I've been making them for a few years now...They actually......they actually took a big role in my life."[/colour] River quickly ended her sentence there as memories of the past flooded in. She didn't want to pester Spitfire with her ramblings of the past.

Her magic swiveled and snaked itself around her first blue and yellow rabbit and she held it up as a demonstation of her work. [colour=#d35d2e]"I've been trying to perfect my technique in making them. I've been trying to improve my style too." [/colour]Sighing, she tried her best with the improvement of her paper folding, but to no avail. She just couldn't fold properly using her new method, but her husband always encouraged her to try her hardest.

River took another look at the pegasus, and, unaware of the pegasus' intent to quickly return to her hot drink, asked her a question.[colour=#d35d2e] "Would you be interested in making one?"[/colour]

• 2 weeks later...

[colour=#FF8000]Spitfire raised her eyebrows as River acted like she was about to jump out of her seat. Naturally, Spitfire loved the Wonerbolts—but she wasn't one to get overly excited when somepony asked about them. This was both because she had had to talk about them to so many ponies, and because pretty much every pony in Equestria had at least heard of the team. Of course, Equestria being as large as it was, the Wonderbolt's couldn't always visit every little town or city, so their faces were a less known than the name of the aerial team.

Spitfire squinted her eyes and bent down to get a better look at the bits of crumpled and folded paper. “Hmmm....” she scanned both the folded and unfolded pieces, rubbing her chin with a hoof. She'd never seen origami figures before, and was having a little trouble visualizing folded paper as an animal. She shifted so that she was looking at them from almost the same angle that River was. “Oh! I see it!” she said, after River had picked up one of the better done rabbits from the mixture of finished pieces and crumpled mistakes.

“Well...” Spitfire thought about it. “Origami”, as River had called it, did look fun, and interesting. However, there was one problem. “I don't have anything else planned for today, but... I'm not sure how well I would do, seeing as—“ she spread her wings to reinforce her point, “—I'm not a Unicorn.” She smiled at River, grateful for the offer. Sometimes Unicorns could forget that other ponies didn't share their natural and more flexible ability.[/colour]