[Fillydelphia] Street Rat [OPEN]

MyLittlePonyTales

[colour=#0080FF]Being an Earth pony sucked. Not only that, being small sucked! Dodger was growing into quite the handsome young colt—not only that, but he was a Unicorn. Being a thief came easily and naturally to him. He hardly had to try. There was Black Jack, too—he had a number of talents. Black Jack could draw, beautiful sketches that the ponies in Fillydelphia admired. Jack could sell those for bits, and make an honest living. Not to mention, Black Jack could leave Fillydelphia entirely, see the world, go where he wanted... and he didn't have to live on a vegetarian diet like ponies did. He could leave, hunt, and come back—he didn't even need money. Terrence was an Earth pony as well, but he was special. He didn't have to work hard like the rest of them did. He just had to sit and look pitiful, what a lousy cheat. Then there was Pippin. Dodger doted on him, for one thing. And another was that he was a Pegasus, able to fly away and to travel much like Black Jack could. It just wasn't fair!

Scout had no special talent, no wings or horn, no missing limb to make her plight seem terrible and unfair. Scout was just an Earth pony. A boring, not special Earth pony. There was nothing special about Earth ponies—no special talents, no skills. Scout was going to live her life as a second-rate thief forever. And she knew that, all too well.

Scout's stomach rumbled... it was past dinner time, and she'd had no luck in pilfering a meal yet today. It was the middle of the week, a time when ponies went to work or school, and then home after that, rarely stopping to shop. On the weekends, the streets were filled with ponies bustling everywhere, but today had been rather slow. The sun was beginning to set, and Scout had resigned herself to going to bed hungry, when the chance presented itself.

Somepony was bringing in his produce for the night. During the day, he'd be moving about the store and continually checking outside, to be sure that nopony was taking anything. But, after a hard day's work, one could get a little careless. She watched as the Unicorn carried each crate of vegetables or fruit inside, one at a time, leaving the rest unattended while his back was turned. There were very few ponies out now, and so the grocery store owner hadn't noticed the little filly watching him.

Scout inched closer, careful not to draw attention to herself. And then, as he went inside again, she sprung forward, her heart pounding as she reached the crates. She grabbed a few carrots in her mouth, stuffing them into the book bag she always carried with her. A container of strawberries, a couple apples, and a bag of grapes. Scout had taken far too much time, she knew, and scurried around a corner into an alley way as the owner was walking out.

She tried to control her breathing, so she wouldn't be discovered. But she heard a crate scrape against the ground, before there was silence again. Turning, she realized that he'd gone back inside—he'd noticed nothing amiss.

She breathed a sigh, congratulating herself on her 'catch'. Not too bad, considering her failure of earlier. Scout hurried off, somewhere else where she wouldn't look so suspicious. She found a nice spot in the park, sitting down on a bench and setting her pack next to her while she began to tuck into one of the carrots.[/colour]

It was quite a peaceful day in the life of of the particular swordstallion. Swift Squall enjoyed a break from a heart problems, criminals and other life tremors. So he took an evening walk in the middle of atumn to enjoy the change of the scenery durning this brief relief. Most of shopkeepers who sold the fruits of the harves packed themselfs up already. But not all...

[colour=green]"Hmm...?"[/colour] unicorn murmured to himself as he bypassed one of the trees that embellished the streets.

His eyebrows rose as he saw little kid - colt or filly, he wasn't sure - who seemed pretty keyed-up. Not knowing why, he hid himself behind chestnut tree and simply observed. He wasn't surprised when kid sneaked towards the boxes and grabbed some of it contents - they were lot of the pickpockets in the Fillydelphia, of various speices and age.

When the thief hasted away into the alley Swift approched the shopkeeper, but not before confirming that kid got away enough.

[colour=green]"Good evening good sir...do you realise that you were robbed?"[/colour]

"What? Again?! **** street rats! Why didn't you do anything if you saw it?"

Squall simply shrugged [colour=green]"Does it matter if I pay? Here."[/colour] unicorn took out his pouch and did just that. Squall than dashed after the 'robber' not wasting any farewells. To his surprise he found an apple just after the next corner - the fruit must've slipped out of the kid bag durning quick retreat - Swift put it into one of his pockets. Swordstallion cought thief glimpse at the end of the next streat. Young earth pony was quite fast, but thankfully he didn't lose sight of him/her until the park.

[colour=green]"Now what?"[/colour] he said to himself. But the next second he found the little earth pony, sitting on the branch and consuming his/her fresh loot. Swift Squall rubbed his chin, considerning his next action - frontal approach won't do. Instead he trotted around, in the large half-circle until he saw back of the thief head. Next, he cast short timed spell that made his steps completly silent - even durning walking throught the leaves - an useful skill he picked in Unyasi. While his hooves were now silent, the skirts of his duster and his breath was not. Neverthless with the help of the dusk, Swift successfully sneaked right behind young pony back. He pulled apple he found from his pocket and leviteted it right before the thief eyes.

[colour=green]"Tasty I hope? By the way...you lost this."[/colour] he said, catching the kid off guard.

• 2 weeks later...

[colour=#0080FF]Scout heard the voice before she saw the apple, but both were enough to startle her. She dropped the carrot she had in her hooves, fumbling with it before it finally slipped from her grasp and rolled on the ground. She looked sourly at it, grumbling to herself. There went a perfectly good carrot. Now it was dirty, and it was all that stallion's fault—

Scout recalled the reason she'd dropped her carrot in the first place and whirled around to survey the culprit. He was a bit of a fearsome looking orange unicorn. Adults tended to make types like Scout uneasy to begin with, but the scars on this stallion weren't really helping put her at ease. And seeing as he saw her drop the apple, he might have seen her steal it, too. It was probably in her best interest not to let him get too close. Then again, he'd levitated the apple to her, rather than handing it to her up front, which would have brought him close enough to catch her. On the other hoof, he snuck up behind her, which seemed a little suspicious.

“Keep it.” she said gruffly. With a tough looking pony like this, she couldn't afford to show weakness. Not that she would do any less under normal circumstances, but the ante was upped a bit here. Stallion, obviously battle scarred, sword Cutie Mark... everything projected 'tough guy'. But Scout was going to do her best to pretend it didn't affect her. “Thanks anyway.”[/colour]

[colour=#0080FF]“Keep it.” she said gruffly. With a tough looking pony like this, she couldn't afford to show weakness. Not that she would do any less under normal circumstances, but the ante was upped a bit here. Stallion, obviously battle scarred, sword Cutie Mark... everything projected 'tough guy'. But Scout was going to do her best to pretend it didn't affect her. “Thanks anyway.”[/colour]

That voice tone clarified things a bit. A filly huh? She certainly masked well.

[colour=green]"Maybe I should. I paid for it. Besides...cut it out kid..."[/colour] Squall said before he jumped from the place, did a dual front flip in the air and landed sitting on the branch next to her. It was for show of course, he had to prove that he is agile enough to catch her with ease so she will not think about escaping.

[colour=green]"You know I know, and I know you know I know, so let's just skip this part."[/colour] he said pulling the throwing knife. Second later he levitated a dropped carrot from the ground and he started podding it.

[colour=green]"First off...I won't report you because this would solve nothing. The problem is not you or other pickpockets - Yes, it's that obvious - but the fact that you ended here in first place."[/colour] he paused prettending to check is the carrot clean enough yet. I truth, he studied the filly and her belongings from behind his shades. After a moment he ressumed podding the carrot.

[colour=green]"I also will NOT ask you why you steal, it's clear. I can count your ribs and, besides what's other reason to steal food? To sell it? Hmph, good joke.... Neither I will say stealing is bad, you should be ashamed yadda, yadda. You surely got caught more then once, they gave you talk about that and then let you go...and of course you knew better then listen to them. So no such rubbish."[/colour] he stopped and gave Scout a glare over the sunglasses.

[colour=green]"What does this guy know? You think. I been in almost all major cities in Equestria and some in Aquilia. I seen kids like you in all of them. I will not ask why you not at home at this hour. One must have a home in first place isn't it? And the family..."[/colour] he observed her, and instantaneously knew he hit the mark.

[colour=green]"Pfff...you won't listen anyway."[/colour] Squall muttered when he got up. [colour=green]"Here...carrot, clean again."[/colour] he put now clean vegatable and apple in her bag.

[colour=green]"Oh...one more thing. You realize you owe me you like it or not? Not reporting and bringing you tha apple..."[/colour] swordstallion said in casual tone.

[colour=green]"And since stealing is okay...how about I help myself with THIS."[/colour]

Immiedietly, using his telekinesis unicorn pulled the book that was sticking out of the bag. He hold it high, out of filly reach.

[colour=green]"I think I will keep it. Stealing is no problem after all right?...Unless...you want to make a deal?"[/colour] stallion asked in the mocking tone.

• 1 month later...

[colour=#0080FF]”If you bought it, why would you want to give it away?” Scout looked at him skeptically. She obviously had plenty of food right here, and apples to boot. Did it look like she needed anything more to eat? Although his sudden acrobatics made her scoot herself and her catch a little further away. Leave it to a Unicorn to show off. She turned away for a second and rolled her eyes, still apprehensive to let an adult see her sass.

Scout popped a whole strawberry in her mouth, and then nearly choked on it when she saw the stallion wielding the knife. And there he went, continuing to show off his magic skills by peeling her dropped carrot. Of course, he used his magic to pick that up too. “I don't know what you're talking about.” she tried to throw him off her scent, but he just kept pestering her.

“Ha, I've never been caught.” Although this guy acted as if he had, the fact was that he wasn't a shop owner. Any passerby might see her, but suspect a little Earth pony like her of a crime? Fat chance! In a hurry to get home from school, looking for her parents, playing some kind of game... there were always excuses adults made for why a little filly might be scurrying away, and how it wasn't their place to bother her, and if they were a shopkeeper or running a stand in the market, they were too busy watching their wares to run off.

“I have one. What's it to you?” she wasn't trying to sound impolite with the answer and question in regards to her family, that was just her way of speaking. She did have to grimace when he placed the fruit and vegetable in her saddlebag. “Hey! Didn't anypony ever teach you not to go through a lady's saddlebags?” She wasn't exactly sure what a mare would be hiding in her saddlebags, it was just something she'd heard. Adults seemed to understand it, so she could use the phrase to her advantage.

She couldn't help but laugh a little, though, when he acted as if he'd done her a favour. Besides, she'd told him to keep his apple, and he'd willingly given it up. “Hey! Give it back!” she jumped up, trying to grasp onto the book with her hooves. But she didn't stand a chance against a gruff, buff, full grown stallion—and she knew it well.

She sat back down, crossing her front hooves over each other as she pouted. “Oh, look at you, setting a fine example for the youth of Equestria. Stealing from innocent little fillies. Now, if I yell out “thief”, who do you think the pony who comes running is going to believe?” She was a pony of the streets. Though this stallion may have been bigger and older, he didn't have her expertise—or her young and innocent age.[/colour]

[colour=#0080FF]She sat back down, crossing her front hooves over each other as she pouted. “Oh, look at you, setting a fine example for the youth of Equestria. Stealing from innocent little fillies. Now, if I yell out “thief”, who do you think the pony who comes running is going to believe?” She was a pony of the streets. Though this stallion may have been bigger and older, he didn't have her expertise—or her young and innocent age.[/colour]

Wow...aren't she a smart cookie? Her note made him stop for the moment but second later a confident smirk returend to his face.

[colour=green]"Hah! Innocent? You way too clever to be considered innocent kid. And playing a victim would be great idea if not for the few things."[/colour] unicorn said.

[colour=green]"First...what 'young innocent filly' are doing here, alone in the park at such late hour? Second - I so happen to know half of soldiers in this city, and besides that - streets are empty now anyway. And finally third..."[/colour] stallion face suddenly turned serious. His horn flashed and in the air in front of him a small ball of fire materialized. Swift Squall was no mage, but at Honor Guard training he learned useful basics.

[colour=green]"...and third thing is, if you rise you voice for even a moment this book turn into charcoal. Even if you screem and somepony would come the book will be finished regardless."[/colour] he said dryly. Now count out-gambited the young thief and both of them known it.

[colour=green]"If you want that book back, meet me tomorrow under the Clock Tower in Waterside Resorts at 8 A.M. I will then tell you what I want, and when you do it, you will get the book back. I will not read it, that I can assure you."[/colour] Squall said instructions slowly and clearly so the filly could remember it.

[colour=green]"So, until tomorrow, young 'rogue'. I hope you come."[/colour] Swift said before he teleported away, along with the book. Only a fireball remained for the few seconds, before it shrunk into nothing with a quite "TSSsssss...".

Of course Swift couldn't teleport far, it was very tiring for him and he wasn't a Beta class unicorn. On the roof of the nearby building, he breathed heavily for the few moments before he moved forward quickly and away from the park.

[colour=#0080FF]”What am I doing here? Obviously, hurrying home to my sick mother and siblings. She can't get out of bed, so I have to do the shopping, which I've just finished and was trying to hurry home before a big burly bully stallion stopped me. Sounds a bit suspicious on your part, doesn't it?” she made up a suitable excuse for his remark.

”You may have seen one side of my cleverness. But if I'm so smart, would I already know what I'm capable of getting away with?” she retained her grumpy position, but smirked up at him. “You already know I'm not stupid. But there's no reason I couldn't act that way and get away with it. You're just a big gruff stallion that stole something of mine to try to lure me away, when I just want to get home to my family! Wah!” she whined, and then gave a mock cry, but raised an eyebrow in anticipation of his reaction.

But the sudden flame caught her off guard, but not as much as the devious plan involving her notebook that he revealed next. She stood on all fours atop the bench, slipping out of her heavily laden saddlebags in the same moment. Her eyes glared up at him, almost as if she was possessed. She lifted a hoof, adjusting her hat. But, just as she pounced, she found herself smacking against the wooden slats on which the Unicorn had been a second before.

She picked herself up, dusting herself off and nursing her now sore chin. “Argh!” she yelled, both in pain and frustration, as she looked around and saw the orange stallion was nowhere to be found. “Stupid Unicorns...” she mumbled, scuffing a hoof against the wood. She picked up her saddlebags reluctantly, slinking off into the city.[/colour]

The very next day ~ Waterside Resort, Clock Tower Plaza, 7:50 AM

Swift Squall was waiting for young filly for quite a while. Of course he wasn't waiting outside, he instead kept himself occupied, by pretending that he was interested with stamps in Post Office at the plaza. Squall had a clear look for a Clock Tower from there.

[colour=green]"She is late...did she gave up on the book already?"[/colour] he thought [colour=green]"I wonder why it was so important to her. A diary, perhaps? Cover didn't had a title."[/colour]

"Sir, will you buying ANYTHING? Not that you hinder businesses. But to be honest, this is getting annoying" said an irritated post mare, cutting Swift pondering short.

[colour=green]"Oh...yes, I am sorry. Umm... I will take four. No, wait....SIX stamps and the same amount of envelopes."[/colour] swordstallion ordered.

At the same time, he gave a look outside, through the large window.

[colour=green]"It's almost eight..."[/colour]

• 2 months later...

[colour=#0080FF]Of course she had to come. That notebook meant more in the world to her than most of her worldly possession—which actually wasn't that many, anyway. She'd been up all night, both worried about the journal and because she was normally a night owl. But any hopes of a few hours sleep were dashed, because every time she laid down she couldn't stop thinking about the Unicorn from earlier.

Besides, the night offered good hunting. Ponies often dropped or lost things, and there was a saying about “finders, keepers.” That couldn't be more true of her and her crew. There were even times, just every now and then, that they may have found something that wasn't lost. Of course, this was a lot easier for Dodger, seeing as he was a Unicorn. Dumb Unicorns....

And he wasn't even here! What a waste of her time. Scout grumbled to herself, both about the inconvenience, and the apparent loss of her book. A scowl was evident on her face. Since she was here, though, she decided to be thorough, circling the clock tower and looking through the bushes, just in case he was hiding somewhere and planning to jump out at her. But there was neither hide nor hoof of him. Just like an adult, to stand her up and trick her.[/colour]

Just when it looked that swordstallion would not show, his silhouette appeared among the crowd. Making his way trough pedestrians Swift trotted towards the filly. Today he wore white, expensive looking long-coat on his back. Also unlike yesterday his mane was kept loose and his shades were different, more modern looking.

[colour=green]"So you are here kid after all....You so small, I had trouble finding you - trotted around for almost a hour."[/colour] unicorn explained in factual tone.

[colour=green]"Well...we should get down to businesses shall we? Crowds are not best place for such discussion. We shall do it..."[/colour] Squall continued but rumbling coming from filly tummy made him to stop for a second. He stared at her over his green shades with his mouth half open. Was that a pity that was hidden behind this gaze? [colour=green]"...over the breakfast."[/colour] he finished the sentence. Swordstallion adjusted his sunglasses with his magic before making a half turn.

[colour=green]"Before you ask. No, I don't have it with me. I am not such naive. Now follow."[/colour] he said making his way towards the restaurant.