Yeah, Sombra wasn't at all interesting. Less engaging than Nightmare Moon. First real miss with a big villain.

Episode was pretty good though for everyone else. Lots of fun moments for all mane six. Gonna need a rewatch later. :)

But yay! Season 3 is finally started! :D

Personally I found this episode pretty underwhelming all together. I did enjoy the songs, but the villain was boring. The villains in MLP have shown themselves to be pretty impressive figures in the story lines (Nightmare Moon, Gilda, Trixie, Flim and Flam, Discord and Chrysalis), and I guess I felt let down that Sombra was just this looming cloud. I was also hoping for the whole Mane 6 to have their time in the spotlight, but their job was relegated to keeping everyone happy while Twilight/Spike saved the day. The pattern seemed to be the Mane 6 having the season premieres and finales, and not basically giving Twilight her own two parter episode. That being said, the humor was good, I liked the new environments, and I liked how they tooled around with the animation a little. Gotta say the preview for the rest of the season has me excited.

Wait... if dark magic is a thing, and at least three unicorns (well, two unicorns and Celestia) can use it...

I guess evil magic is canon now. I don't think that bodes well.

Oh, also, its official, Celestia is ban happy. That is now

-1 villain turned to stone

-1 villain turned to shadow/disentavaporated

-1 villain banished to the moon/brainwashed back to the good side

-and 1 villain literally thrown miles off into the distance into who knows where

remind me to never get on an Alicorn's bad side

Phew...let's see...

The plot itself was an excellent way to get everyone back into pony. It was perhaps one of the more intricate plots we've seen, but simple enough that it was fun to follow.

The songs were, like always, FUN! I didn't listen to any of the songs beforehand, especially with those clips available, and I DID NOT regret it! The songs are catchy, full of emotion when used, and the last two are especially collective in the cast sense.

King Sombra as a villain was...I hate to say it...ABSOLUTELY DISAPPOINTING. Coming off a villain that had a sort of presence like Chrysalis or Discord, Sombra just seemed to be a big shadow that stood over the plot the entire time. There was no menace to it, no real danger until it finally came down to the last few minutes. There's nothing BAD about dramatic tension, but it didn't amount to much. Sombra just arrived and was defeated in a matter of a minute.

The characters, like always, were entertaining as always. They're still loveable, still entertaining, and still as heartwarming as we like them.

And I'll tell you this....SPIKE saving the Empire was something I never expected! It certainly helped in developing Twilight Sparkle's character in those terms, and helped in giving the characters new ground to break. After all, they CAN'T skip around the plot element that Spike SAVED AN ENTIRE EMPIRE throughout this season! They just can't!

In general...not as satisfying as Return of Harmony, but it certainly kickstarts our love for ponies back into gear! I'M READY FOR MORE PONY!

By the way, if you caught the commercial for Season 3, there looks to be A LOT of interesting episodes coming...including one pony apparently discovering their destiny...

DIS GON B A GUD SEASON!

I was actually kind of impressed by Sombra. Sure I was dissapointed he didn't get more than about a line or two, but I think as far as that looming threat kind of villain, he worked very well.

He didn't need to be directly involved, just by being there he provided an unsettling back drop, not to mention his safe guard spells were pretty darn cool.

ITS A DOOR THAT MOVES! What's not to like?

Thats how I felt about sombra, at first I was going to be disappointed, but then my head canon said the maybe just maybe being destroyed and turned into shadow affected his mind.

Then I saw they were going with the looming doom approach. And in those cases the less we know about it the worse it seems. He didnt need to do anything, his magic corrupting everything, he defenses and just his giant death cloud was enough. Honestly if he came down and talked he probably wouldve been super cliche since he already thought of everyone as slaves

Mhm, I must agree. Some-Bro was nothing but a background there. I watched it all time thinking: This guy's out there somewhere... but he's still OUT and THERE not IN and HERE. And then I've blinked, and he disappeared ._.

Anyway, although I'm really, but really not a great Twilight fan, I liked her in that episode. Though her approach to the case destroyed me in one moment.

When she was running downstairs, explaining the Celestia's test. After knowing in what danger it is and stuff, her approach seemed to me like: Test>Empire. Twilight style.

Also, Rarity has got some mad skillz!

A hat made out of 3 hay straws!? Respect...

Sombra got it the worst...pretty much hes the first casualty in FIM. They killed him, theres no dancing around that.

See, that's what I thought as soon as I saw him disappear. They KILLED him. There's no doubt.

My mum (who full-well knows I watch this show):

"They actually teach kids about...self-sacrifice!? This is my kinda show!"

I'll give them this, that lesson IS quite a good one. Learning to commit to self-sacrifice is an integral lesson to learn.

See, that's what I thought as soon as I saw him disappear. They KILLED him. There's no doubt.

Sombra got it the worst...pretty much hes the first casualty in FIM. They killed him, theres no dancing around that.

He's a shadow, he evaporated or whatever shadows do when they go away.

I just dug up a relevant quote:

"The door is everything; all that once was, and all that will be! The door controls time and space, love and death!

The door can see into your mind! The DOOR can see into your SOULLLLL!"

"Re-really? The door can do all that"

"Heh, no."

edit: Well, relevant to the door. Not so much to the death scene

He's a shadow, he evaporated or whatever shadows do when they go away.

Yes, but that doesnt mean they didnt kill him. I mean the definition of kill does say that sombra had to be alive to be killed...but really its about what you consider as life.

Star trek had many episodes where they found life that was inorganic, I think one episode they accidentally killed a creature that wasnt organic. Just because he was made of shadow doesnt mean he wasnt alive.

Its morally questionable to end any sentient beings existence.

I agree. I'll paraphrase ShadowMage here:

Seeing how he was able to sustain and survive after being defeated by Celestia and Luna, he survived this too probably. Let's face it, he was a shadow, he was able to change himself into non-physical being. {My commentary} I assume he was just cast away, we all know deaths don't happen in Equestria, fillies ;D

Finally, Season 3 is here! :kissy:

Also, best part:

Shining Armor: "It's just a test. Maybe she'll let you retake it!"

Yes, because the fate of Equestria is CLEARLY a test you can retake. rainbowdashderp.png

Course you can! Just find a new villain! I'm sure Celestia has one tucked away somewhere...

Yes, but that doesnt mean they didnt kill him. I mean the definition of kill does say that sombra had to be alive to be killed...but really its about what you consider as life.

Star trek had many episodes where they found life that was inorganic, I think one episode they accidentally killed a creature that wasn't organic. Just because he was made of shadow doesn't mean he wasn't alive.

Its morally questionable to end any sentient beings existence.

Are you saying shadows are alive? :shifty:

Its a kids cartoon don't delve so deeply into it. Sometimes somepony disappearing doesn't mean they died. They just disappeared. Shadow or otherwise.

Well, saw the episode with the local bronie group; used to be there were some 8 or 9 of us for these events, now there are more than 20! :-o

I liked the episode, it was good, not great, but good. I felt the premiere for season one and two were stronger but this one did have something the others did not: It strongly hinted this was the beginning of a much larger story arc.

Some fascinating realizations:

Dark Magic - Ponies, well at least unicorns and alicorns, can use "dark magic" that is appears to be fundamentally negative and based on negative emotions. This all appears to fit right in with the magic lore of the pony universe with the Elements of Harmony, the Crystal Heart fueled by love and hope and so forth. Sombra may have once been a regular unicorn that became corrupted, then consumed by the dark magics he wished to understand and later control. It also opens the question of temptation by others to use such magic arts; now Twilight has touched the dark magic and used it, will she be tempted by it? Or affect her in some other way?

King Sombra - As the antagonist for the story, he was a profound disappointment, but I don't think he really was the antagonist, it wasn't about him at all, he was merely a plot device. The story was about Twilight and her moving to the next stage of her studies and whatever grander plans Celestia and Luna have; no doubt to protect Equestria in the long term from whatever great dangers still lurk. The story definitely left the feeling there is something much bigger going on and that Celestia is thinking "big picture".

That all being said I wish he was utilized a little better. It would have been far more interesting if we discovered Sombra was simply a pawn for a much stronger evil; perhaps even set up to fail to move forward that great evil's plans against Equestria and ponykind. Just a thought.

Crystal Ponies - Clearly we now have a fourth pony type. Cadance is their princess (her cutie mark was the Crystal Heart), but other than their design and shine, I am not sure what makes them different. What I mean by that is each of the three types of ponies are special beyond their physical differences: Unicorns for spell-casting and associated tasks that require fine magic, pegasai to control the weather and the magic of flight, earth who have a magic connection to all life that makes them best for growing food and caring for animals. What about crystal ponies? Well, they could be connected more to the earth itself then others, they may also/or be the fine artists of ponykind (and by art I mean in the broadest terms: literature, artwork, music, poetry, etc.) It also seems apparent their "shine" changes if they are in the crystal kingdom or not. Full shine within the kingdom, that "somber" more normal look outside the kingdom. Just my take.

What do you all think?

Watched it a second time. Liked it even more.

Sombra really is best viewed as a non-character; an evil, malicious force lingering over them, ready to bring destruction should they fail. I think in my first viewing I was expecting a character and personality from him, but as a shapeless, destructive threat, he's effective (if not particularly compelling).

Episode is paced well, has comedic moments, shipping fuel, character development for Shining Armor and Cadance, and a trio of enjoyable songs (seriously loving the reprise at the end). It was fun, and if other two parters were better ,this one was still good and sets the tone for season 3 positively.

Kinda wondering just how many times the word "crystal" was said here. :D