(Canterlot) The Vigilant Soldier (Ended)

Lux

High above the city streets perched on a roof, a lone pony stood watching the activity below. Her features were shrouded by the night sky, save for the gleaming silver of the pony's armor that glowed in the moonlit sky. Looking above at the starry display, she took the moment to wonder.

"Princess Luna," she said softly to herself, "Your night is quite peaceful. Fear not, I will make sure that it stays that way."

With that the pony took flight and glided down to the streets below. It was time to begin her patrol of the city. Although being night most of the ponies had retired to their homes, there were still a few places open and a few ponies still lingering around. As she proceeded down the almost deserted streets, she kept a watchful eye on anything suspicious that would threaten the city, the ponies who were visiting or dwelt within, or the Princesses.

• 1 month later...

[colour=#000080]The dark alicorn princess glided slowly and swiftly across the sky's of Canterlot. There are no purpose to her flight, she was merely out for what could be called an evening stroll. There were not very many ponies out at this hour, as most chose to be shut up inside their homes and in bed fast asleep. But there were those, she had found, that could be out late at a bar, or studying with a few comrades at an extended hours cafe.

But all of a sudden, she thought she heard the whisper of her name on the wind. She glanced around for anypony that might have seen her and called her name, and was about to chalk it up to her imagination, when she saw a dark figure alight from one of the rooftops ahead. She could have easily passed him or her up, but she decided that perhaps she would give a quick greeting.

So she silently followed after the pony, her delicate steps barely making a sound on the cobblestone street. “A bit late for a lone pony to be out, isn't it?” she stepped from the shadow's of an alleyway, probably a fearsome sight for one who was not expecting her. After all, she towered above any normal pony, and her dark coat blended into the shadows. Though she didn't always mean to be, Princess Luna could be a scary pony.[/colour]

Night Watcher proceeded down the empty streets, the metallic greaves that covered her hooves making a definite clip clop sound on the stones as it echoed through the street.

[colour=#800080]So much for stealthiness [/colour]she thought as she walked along. She wondered how the REA expected her to stop any bad activities at night when her armor signified her presence from several hundred feet away.

[colour=#800080]Mental note: have the blacksmits pad the soles of the greaves to deaden the sound [/colour]she thought with a sigh. She coundn't fly back to the barracks now, not when it was her patrol. So, with her teeth gritted, she continued patrolling her sector.

She had only covered a tiny portion shen she felt something or someone following her. She could not see or hear anything, but it was a gut instinct from her years of being in the REA and as a Staff Sergeant. She came to a halt and looked around the area.

[colour=#000080] “A bit late for a lone pony to be out, isn't it,” [/colour]she heard a voice say and quickly spun around to find out who was calling her and more importantly whether they were friend or foe. She then came face to face with none other than Princess Luna.

[colour=#800080]"Staff Sergeant Night Watcher on patrol, your Highness," [/colour]the jet black pegasus said as she gave the customary military bow.

In the shadowy darkness, she had at first missed the armor, but upon viewing the pony as she made her presence known, the silvery armor made it quite obvious. Luna smiled at the formality as the Pegasus lowered herself to the ground. She deemed such actions unnecessary, but knew that they were still important because of customs. But before the pony lifted her gaze, she'd put on a serious face. [colour=#000080]”At ease, sergeant.”[/colour] The princess ducked her head in acknowledgment.

[colour=#000080]“All is quiet this eve, I trust?”[/colour] she herself had been out on a casual flight, and had not heard any sort of commotion. Good to know that the guard were doing their job well. Judging from the look on this guard's face—Night Watcher, she'd said—she certainly hadn't expected a visit from a princess. Of course, Luna hadn't been expecting to run into a guard either. Still, it was good to keep them on their toes. A commanding officer may not have always been around, but you never knew who or what could be watching.

It was clear that Princess Luna had initially expected Night Watcher to just be a regular pony wandering the streets at night. The Lunar Guard was large enough to have a presence in the city while small enough that one may not see one in their travels.

Night didn't expevct the Princess to be out but was not surprised. After all it was the capital the mare was patrolling and at night when the princess would be most active.

At the request given to be at ease she raised her head and relaxed her stance. She had been trained in the costoms of how to address others of a higher rank. And in the case of the REA, the Princesses would be the highest of them all.

[colour=#800080]"All is quiet, Your Highness. All guards are on patrol and are I believe completing their first pass of their area. How are you this nigh, your Highness?"[/colour]

• 2 weeks later...

The princess was glad to here that all was quiet so far this night. It was true that Equestria was at peace, and indeed, there was no better status to be in. But far back in the past, the pony lands had not always been the picture of happiness and harmony that they were today. Peace was great, yes, but the princess of the night came from a much different time in Equestria's history.

[colour=#000080]That is good to hear, Sergeant Night Watcher.”[/colour] Luna may have told the guard to be at ease, but relaxing was not really one of her strong suits. [colour=#000080]”I am quite well, thank you. I was just on a late night flight, when I caught site of you. I thought it might be somepony less...”[/colour] she paused to think of the correct word, [colour=#000080]“admirable. Not many ponies are out so late that have good intentions, you know. Excusing the guards, and even then...”[/colour] she trailed off, waving a hoof casually, as if to say, ”oh, you know.”

[colour=#000080]”How are you faring on this night?”[/colour] The princess thought it only polite to return the question. No doubt Night Watcher had duties to attend, but Luna didn't have anything else in particular to do than chat the evening away. But she also knew it was important not to keep a guard from their duties, for the safety of everypony in Canterlot.

To the Lunar Guard's surprise Princess Luna spoke to her not like a general giving orders but like she was just a regular pony walking the strets, or in her case flying, and Night Watcher was just a regular pony as well. Granted the mare did have time to visit the city while being off duty. Yet when most of her life revolved around giving and receiving orders, it was had to break the staunch military persona, especially for a Princess.

Luna made an off hoof comment about ponies not being so admirable at this hour at night and how some guard may not be as savory too.

[colour=#800080]"I am well, your Majesty. You mentioned that there are guards who are not doing their duty?"[/colour]

• 3 weeks later...

Luna noted the slight look of surprise on the face of the Pegasus guard, but decided not to comment on it. Certainly, she'd already gotten over the surprise of seeing a princess out in public, so perhaps it was... the realness of her. Sure, she had her regal roots, but truthfully the princesses frequently did not see themselves above anypony else. They were powerful, royal, noble—but really, if anypony took the time to peel that back, they were really fairly normal. It was what they tried to be, anyway, but with all the regular exalting everypony gave them, it wasn't easy. But one-on-one, when there was nothing to prove to anypony else, it wasn't as difficult to metaphorically let her mane down and relax.

[colour=#000080]”I am glad to hear it. A guard of Equestria must always be in top shape.”[/colour] she nodded once, a serious expression on her face. In reality, she wanted to keep smiling, keep up the friendly-buddy vibe. But she knew it was important to maintain an equal balance of business and casual.

[colour=#000080]“And I'm afraid so. Assuredly, most of the guard are intent on protecting Equestria. But if somepony wanted to get close to a princess, either for information or ill intentions, what better way than to infiltrate those whose duty it is to protect Equestria and its rulers?”[/colour] Equestria had been at peace for many years up until recently. But with the recent threat from Queen Chrysalis and her Changelings, and the danger of King Sombra on the Crystal Empire, it was possible for anyone to secretly be a danger to others, especially the princesses.

In most cases, Night Watcher was adept in how she should speak with other ponies. To superiors she was to be humble but not weak. To those below her in rank she needed to be firm but not antagonizing. To the civilians, she could relax a bit from her military persona and mingle with others. But a princess was an entirely different and new experience. Granted the princess was a regular pony, but Night still had to be careful to not be too casual with her.

[colour=#000080]"And I'm afraid so. Assuredly, most of the guard are intent on protecting Equestria. But if somepony wanted to get close to a princess, either for information or ill intentions, what better way than to infiltrate those whose duty it is to protect Equestria and its rulers?”[/colour]

[colour=#800080]"That makes perfect sense, your Highness. I remember the Changeling incident and how they were able to infiltrate so easily. The REA is still shaken by this event and there is a worry that there may be another incident like that. I hope that we are more prepared to stave off such a case. Anyway, do you have some place you wish to go, your Highness? I can guard you as you go." [/colour]

• 3 weeks later...

Princess Luna looked grim as Night Watcher mentioned the incident with the Changelings. The attack, though in the past, was still very fresh in the minds of everypony in Equestria. Luna herself had been sleeping much less peacefully during the daytime, and surely Celestia was having similar troubles at night. There were even rumors that there might still be Changelings hidden throughout Equestria—after all, who could really tell? Anypony that you knew or passed in the street or saw in a shop could have been one... and might still be one.

But Luna brought her thoughts back to the present. Changelings or not, she should still give the benefit of the doubt to the ponies of Equestria. The invasion was in no way their fault, and they should not be scrutinized for the misdeeds of the enemy.

[colour=#000080]”Oh, no, not really anywhere in particular. But I'm sure you must be getting back to your duties.”[/colour] Luna replied. [colour=#000080]”Perhaps I could accompany you for a time, though?”[/colour] The night was still young, and though most ponies were shut up in their houses, they had not yet laid down to sleep. Luna could spare a little while longer before taking up her responsibility as the guardian of the dream world. After all, one pony in the real world was just as important as one in an imaginary plane.

The Lunar Guard noticed the dour look on Princess Luna's face when she mentioned the Changeling incident. It was something that weighed heavily on the minds of many ponies, especially those living in Canterlot. But Night Watcher could only imagine how Luna felt as one of the protectors of the city.

The princess then asked if she would accompany her. Night found it interesting that it was almost like the Princess was guarding her rather that the other way around.

[colour=#800080]"As you wish, Your Highness. My patrol tonight consists of the blocks around the castle where as the other guards are patrolling the rest of the city. Do you have a particular place that you like to visit while in Canterlot?"[/colour]

• 2 weeks later...

The princess smiled at Night Watchers question. Where would she like to go? Luna wasn't exactly street savvy about Canterlot, and certainly there wasn't really anyplace TO go at this hour. Shops were closed, the market square vendor booths all shut up, and nearly everypony tucked away inside with their families. Of course, she had been proven wrong before one evening. She was pleasantly surprised when a young Unicorn had shown her a late night cafe, one of the few places that stayed open into the late hours of the night. And if there was one place, there were likely others—but she could not sway the guard to deviate from her duties.

[colour=#000080]”Oh, no, but thank you kindly anyway.”[/colour] The only other sound that could be heard was the clip-clopping of their hooves—or rather, shoes—on the stone streets. [colour=#000080]”But I thought, perhaps you might like some company.”[/colour] Luna paused, then added, [colour=#000080]”I apologize if I'm being bothersome. I will leave you to your task, if you wish.”[/colour] She hadn't previously considered that she might be imposing upon the guardpony. After all, guarding the city was a very serious job, and even on quiet nights one could not afford to be distracted. Even though the princess was just trying to be friendly, perhaps working hours was not the best time to socialize. It was all fine and dandy if she were walking the streets of Canterlot during the day, mingling with the common ponyfolk. But this might not have been exactly the best time or place for making idle chatter.

From the princess's response, Night Watcher realized that she had conveyed the wrong message. Now Luna was mentioning about leaving like the guardspony wished to be alone. It was no wonder why as the pegasus had mentioned about her route and other things about her service when the princess was actually trying to get to know her more as a pony rather than a guard.

[colour=#800080]"Forgive me," [/colour]Night Watcher said as her head drooped slightly, [colour=#800080]"I sometimes get so wrapped up into my job as a guardspony that I don't see when others are wanting to get to know me. It doesn't help [/colour][colour=#800080]that I don't often see others at night except for other guards. Don't get me wrong, I like being a member of the Lunar Guard, and somepony needs to guard the night. But sometimes the nights can get a little lonely. So yes, I would like the company." [/colour]

It was a refreshing relief to be able to speak her mind, even in a position where she often held her opinions against her heart.