This is the official thread for information and chatting about the fifth episode of season 3 - "Magic Duel"! Trixie is back and guess what pony she'll be gunning for? Oh you Twixie shippers will certainly have a ball with this one! So come join the conversation! The thread will open up five minutes before the episode airs (8:55am Central/9:55am Eastern).

Remember though, there are spoilers in the comments section so read at your own risk if you haven't seen the episode! :blah:

:shifty:Trixie is here to rock your magical world! :twisted:

Trixie_red_eyes_S3E5.png

Let's start with initial thoughts:

Let it be known that the creators recognize the term "alicorn" as canon.

Stephen King reference. The mature material nods don't stop.

Welcome to Soviet Ponyville. Praise your leader, Trixie, or she'll turn you into a chariot without wheels.

Pinkie is offended that Trixie scoffed at having to work on rock farm.

Trixie must have been pretty powerful to treat the fourth wall like a desktop.

The second duel: let the fanfics commence.

Male Applejack: let the pairings/canon recognition of Rule 63 begin.

Maybe forgiveness was the lesson here...?

Saddle Arabian ponies. Interesting. Let the fanfics commence.

What kind of magic lets Zecora regenerate her cup of tea?

And Trixie runs off into the night...again.

Ending: let the Twixie fanfics recommence.

Lots of fanservice/fandom jokes, some Flutterfocus, Trixie in full, delicious character, R63'd AJ, Twilight going to Zecora when her other mentor is gone; seriously everything about this episode was entertaining. It's also retained a lot of the dark tone that S3 is becoming infamous for. I'll have to watch it again. I wonder what the debate du jour is going to be? Probably about magic artifacts and their place in Equestria, since the Alicorn Amulet (Alicorns mentioned by name!) is the only other one besides the EoH that has been shown to hold great magical power.

One of my personal favorites of S3 so far.

• Like 2

Where to begin:

Official canon recognition of the term "alicorn"

Stephen King reference. The mature material nods don't stop.

Welcome to Soviet Ponyville. Work hard or you get turned into a wheel-less chariot.

Zecora knows magic that lets her regenerate her cup of tea. She just took a level in awesome.

Pinkie is offended at Trixie scoffing at working on the rock farm.

Trixie treats the fourth wall like her own desktop. Let me take this brick out of my pants real quick.

Male Applejack: official recognition of rule 63. Even if it wasn't real, the fanfics have already fired up.

Ending: let the Twixie fanfics recommence.

Saddle Arabian ponies: let the speculation (and fanfics and OCs) initiate.

A good episode, though it took a bit of thinking to figure out some moral to this one.

I caught the Stephen King reference but I may have forgotten it already. I watched it in a haze of almost complete exhaustion. I'll have to watch it again to catch more things.

Now this one was great. Handily the best episode so far this season. An episode like this only further cements MA Larson as my favorite pony writer.

I was never too huge a Trixie fan, but seeing her go all evil and menacing was rather fun. She worked really well here, and seeing her again definitely turned out to be a good thing.

So many callbacks and continuity nods... Loved it. I know you could just call if shameless fanservice (though you could call the whole episode that), but it seemed to be done smartly and fairly non-intrusively. I dunno. I bought into it big time. Both of the duels were very fun scenes, and it's always good to see Zecora.

Humor was very much on point this week too. Pinkie's deleted mouth, Trixie's attitude, smart and cute Fluttershy humor... Could have used maybe just a little more Rarity, but she at least had a couple good lines.

Overall, this was just a thoroughly fun, entertaining episode. Those are always my favorites. Wasn't sure about last week's and the one before that was fun but flawed, but after this my faith in Season 3 is at an all time high. :)

• Like 1

episode title is misleading. Wasnt a magic duel at all. More like a power and tricks duel. Im not complaining, just letting everyone know that rule 63 AJ is NOT canon. :smug:

• Like 1

awesome episode!

and during the second magic battle, lyra could not give less of a buck :lol:

zecora can make da magics!

fluttershy is too adorable!

hilarious trixie faceplant!

alicorn is canon!

rule 63!

saddle arabia!

no luna...... :(

one of my favorites, definately hoping to see more episodes of this quality.

I'm actually curious as to how magic duels work in Equestria. Are there actual rules, or perhaps an association of magic duelists? And when they did duel, it was more of an attempt to one up the other's spells then actually engage in magical combat. I mean, yes there was the snow and pies and weaponized parasprites, but Trixie eventually won by casting a spell on Snips and Snails (Whom, I must admit, I wasn't looking forward to seeing this episode). Or maybe it was Twilight's failure to replicate the spell.

Also, Twilight chastises Trixie for cheating by using an amulet, then goes and cheats herself by using deception. Kinda odd, really. Not that I'm complaining, it was still rather fun to watch.

And more importantly, when Twilight said 'Let's dual', why did I get the strangest feeling she was going to pull out a deck and engage in a children's trading card game?

• Like 1

You weren't alone in that regard, Colt. I think that magical dueling is quite similar to how we would duel in the old West really but with some modifications. Like how Trixie yelled, "Draw!" made me think that magic duels worked in that fashion. Then again, this is the ramblings of an incredibly tired person.

And more importantly, when Twilight said 'Let's dual', why did I get the strangest feeling she was going to pull out a deck and engage in a children's trading card game?

yea i did too, but my mind looked back on an episode of yugioh :P

A good episode all around. There were parts I didn't like though. I felt incredibly bad for Pinkie this episode. Especially since hers was the only spell that didn't wear off. How long was Twilight training for? If it was more than a few days poor Pinkie must have been starving. :unsure: Also Trixie's sudden apology just felt wrong. I'm glad she did apologise, but it just doesn't seem like a Trixie thing to do. Though it might just be because I hate Twixie shipping. :blah:

I want more Zecora though! She's so cool!

Also, Twilight's tricks at the end genuinely had me going there.

Also, Twilight chastises Trixie for cheating by using an amulet, then goes and cheats herself by using deception. Kinda odd, really. Not that I'm complaining, it was still rather fun to watch.

To be fair on Twilight she kinda had to cheat in order to get Trixie to remove the amulet.

I'm actually curious as to how magic duels work in Equestria. Are there actual rules, or perhaps an association of magic duelists? And when they did duel, it was more of an attempt to one up the other's spells then actually engage in magical combat. I mean, yes there was the snow and pies and weaponized parasprites, but Trixie eventually won by casting a spell on Snips and Snails (Whom, I must admit, I wasn't looking forward to seeing this episode). Or maybe it was Twilight's failure to replicate the spell.

This sounds like precisely the duel. You start reasonably small and simple, and work your way up. The one that either can't keep up their spells due to lack of endurance, or can't match the other's level, loses. Trixie pulled out a top level spell that Twilight couldn't match, and so she lost.

As for the ep itself, I loved it. I love me some Trixie so her return was great. And then there was the zebra magic that we see for the first time, which is cool.

I enjoyed this episode overall, especially when Fluttershy was given another opportunity to become a tree. Yeah that ending apology felt abrupt, but I suppose it was an easy way for the kiddies to understand that a pony wearing the amulet can turn nice again once they take it off. My provisional ranking: 4/5

PS: nice to see that the Alicorn Amulet was merely "hidden away". I'm sure somepony will find it again. :D

I'm guessing it was just part of the head games.

Also, I found a Derpy! :D