A Stroll in The Royal Gardens

A simple yet ornate black archway signals the entrance to Canterlot's breathtaking public gardens. There are a number of exotic creatures and plants. Roses, orchids, daffodils, tulips—nearly anything you can think of. Not to mention, many an exotic creature roams free. Bunnies and buzzards and birds, oh my! Even rare creatures such as the spider monkey, toucan, and wallaroo can be seen, if one is quiet enough to catch a glimpse.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MelodySpark was walking through the garden enjoying the exotic plants she saw around her. She sat in the garden in awe at what she saw the beautiful flowers and rare animals. 'I wonder how long it took for this garden to finally become the way it is now' wondering to herself. "I hope I get to meet other ponies out here, but until then I can do with the company of the plants and animals" she said and trotted over to the pony looking down into her reflection what she saw was her new look again. Melody had grown her hair out just for this one occasion having it brushed to one side of her face and letting the rest of her mane fall into what looked like a waterfall of curls. She wore something that looked like ballet slippers tying all the way up her leg. Her dress was white and had rumples that fell in sections while the random music notes were dotted onto the dress. "You really out did yourself tonight Melody hopefully you'll even find your prince charming!" she told her reflection hopping around. She took one more look at her reflection to make sure everything was in place then walked off to explore the rest of the garden. 'This surely will be a night to remember' smiling at herself and her head held high while humming a few tunes.

Clay honestly never thought he'd have use for his old tuxedo again, a simple black tux with a seemingly longer set of tails than would be average that dangled off his haunch and nearly dragged on the floor. A bowtie was a customary piece of the tux, but he could never get it on himself correctly so one loop always turned out bigger than the other. 'Give me a lump of mud and I'll make a spectacular vase. But give me a bowtie and I'll probably end up strangling myself with it trying to put it on…' He whispered to himself as he made his way into the gardens fiddling with the bowtie. His artisan teacher never attended such events, so he figured once he became a potter he would be excused from such events and would not need to learn how to properly tie it. It was not that he did not like such big parties, he loved getting the chance to meet new ponies but Clay simply didn't like the formalities that came with it.

As he fiddled with the bowtie, he couldn't help but notice it becoming tighter around his neck. 'Uh oh… By Celestia! I was joking about the strangling part, gah!' Clay sat down, as his wings began to flap as if mimicking the erratic behavior of his hoof as he tried to undo his bowtie. He managed to loosen it just enough for it to be more of a major discomfort, rather than choking, and let out a sigh of relief. 'That would have been embarrassing, imagine if I…' His self dialog was cut short as he tried to stand up again he nearly fell on his face, soon realized he had managed to tie one of his hoofs to his neck.

'Well, this turned out swell…' A light ting of irritation crept into his voice as he quickly began to scan the garden for a reflective surface. Spotting the pond not too far off, he unfurled his wings and quickly flew towards the side of it. He hovered a little bit over the edge, but soon realizing he couldn't make out the mess around his neck too clearly and land next to the pond's edge. Keeping his wings still extended as he tried to balance himself on three hoofs while he looked closer at his tied hoof in the reflective surface of the pond, his eyes began to scan the surface and he noticed a figure that was moving away from the pond further into the gardens. 'Excuse me, Miss?'

MelodySpark heard a voice calling out to her and she turned around to see it was a Pegasus pony tied up in what looks like his bow-tie. "How in Luna's name did he manage to do that" she asked herself trotting towards the stallion seeing that his hoof was practically tied up tightly in his bow-tie.'This stallion probably isn't use to those ties although that's quite a shocker' she thought to herself when she finally got closer to the stallion she asked in a polite manner "Um how can I help you uh sir." trying not to laugh at how silly he looked up close "Or is that a new crazy fashion thing all the stallions are doing?" stifling a giggle. She did admit that this stallion looked quite dashing even in that silly pose.

Princess Luna walked through the garden, the delicate train of her dress sliding almost silently on the grass behind her. She still wasn't quite used to crowds, and so the garden seemed like the perfect place to spend part of the evening. Of course, there were probably a lot of ponies eager to meet her... She'd have to find her way into the Main Hall sometime. Well, perhaps after a bit of fresh night air.

Hearing a slight commotion, Luna turned and followed the sound, coming upon the two ponies near the pond. She slowly came up to the pair, her light hoofsteps barely making a sound on the cushiony soft grass.

"Good evening." she said politely.

Blushroom, who had gone to the Gala only after weeks of urging from her grandmother, stepped into the garden apprehensively. Her grandmother was constantly worried about the young mare and her fear of interacting with other ponies, and had hoped the polite etiquette required by the event would help her realize that most of the rest of the residents of Equestria were far kinder than her school mates had been.

She was wearing a simple dress she designed herself, using tulle from her mother's wedding dress she had dyed with the tannic acid from acorns a dull brown, and accented with flowers made of birch bark interspersed with pale fresh flowers from the Everfree Forest. Her mane, in tones of red-orange, ochre and white (normally a matted mess of sticks and other natural detritus) was sleek and pulled up in an elegant up-do, further accented with her handmade flowers. An unkind pony would wonder if she was a renegade fairy-pony from an Equestrian Production of "A Midsummer Night's Dream", but Blushroom had done what she could with what materials she had and did look rather fetching.

The gardens were not quite as full of revelers as she had feared, so she minced her way among the flower beds somewhat away from the main paths and drank in the sights and scents that this very special garden offered on this gorgeous evening. Blushroom had just rounded a particularly beautiful and fragrant lilac bush when she stepped into a clearing with a carpet of sift, lush grass. A unicorn, much better dressed and coiffured than she, and a pegasus struggling with a bow tie, rather in vain were in the clearing, and a second unicorn was approaching them. Her heart raced, and her first reaction was to bolt before they could judge her, but she swallowed her urge to flee. Blushroom noticed that the dark unicorn, who she felt that she had seen before, seemed apprehensive as she approached the other two. "Maybe, just maybe", Blushroom thought, "I'm not the only pony nervous about this night. I wonder who she is. I feel like I've seen her somewhere"

Sun Sprout fairly wiggled in delight as she'd stepped off her parents' carriage. All the way from Trottingham, to the Grand Galloping Gala! She'd never been before, but there was absolutely no way whatsoever she was going to miss this! The little unicorn filly had nearly exploded with joy when she'd heard her parents had recieved an invitation (Plus One! Somehow, the Princess always knew!) and this year, she was being allowed to go! Sunny tripped and traipsed through the gardens, doing little twirls as she tried to take in the beautiful greenery all around them. Maybe some of these even had come from her mother's own shop!

Her little dress had been hoof-sewn by one of Trottingham's best seamstresses, but it was certainly no less fantastic than all the other outfits the other ponies were wearing. Hers was varying shades of green, complementing her hide, and trimmed with gold ribbons that complemented the dancer's slippers she almost always wore. Some special hoof-picked flowers in her mane, and some little forget me nots dotted the seams of her dress as if they were helping hold it together, and a big bright sunflower adorned her ear.

The emerald filly fairly shone as she explored the paths and twists of the Gardens, paying little mind to the creatures that dwelled within it, moreso her interest on the flowers and vines that seemed to reach out towards her as she passed nearby. Everywhere she went, was as if a ray of sunshine followed in her wake, brightening up the foliage for several moments. This was definitely her element! Even though the other ponies who were amusing themselves with the little delicate curls of a vine, or the splash of color from the flowers, Sunny just had one thing to say, very nearly squealing it.

"The gardens, I just love it all!"

'Ugh, glad to be out of there.'

It was just too much for Ashton. So many ponies. If he took all the ponies he had ever met before leaving home he would still only have a small fraction of number in the main hall. Even if he knew anyone there there would be no way to pick them out of the crowd. So many ponies it made him feel ill, like he had a knot in his stomach. He wondered if he would be so intimidated if they were Griffins or was it the sheer numbers getting to him. And the clothes. He felt terribly under-dressed. He had only brought a simple collar he had managed to improve a bit with a set of silver and amethyst pins. These ponies on the other hand had lovely dresses and fine suits. Even if he had known he would be going to something like this he wouldn't have been able to get anything of this caliber in Rockwington.

Out here at least things seemed to be quieter. A few ponies here and there, and an amazing garden. He had never seen anything close to this. All the gardens back in Rockwington had to conserve their water and usually grew in stone planters. Here everything felt to natural and alive. And the animals too, he had never seen so many in one place. There were even these little blinking bugs he had never seen before. He had to restrain himself from chasing after them like a foal. He normally wasn't this playful but there were just so many wonders here he couldn't help it.

He was far too distracted to watch where he was going. He nearly collided with a Earth Pony who had stopped in the middle of the path. He carefully stepped around pony careful not to tread on her nature themed dress. "Excuse me."

'Why yes, this is the latest fashion. It's called the *hurk*' Clay was quick to pick up on the joke and tilted his head to the side while he slightly stuck his tongue out and tugged gently on his bow-tied hoof. 'You start off by taking one of these deadly contraptions and tie it around your neck while wearing a tuxedo, and then try to fix the length of the bows and...' Clay wiggled the tip of his tied hoof to signal the end result. Taking one quick look at the mare's beautifully styled dress he changed his slightly joking expression to that of a bright smile. 'Perhaps you could lend me a hoof. Maybe a pair of scissors or…' throwing another quick glance at the dress, 'perhaps a sharp note?' He said with a jokingly smile on his face.

As he stood there smiling at the mare, his attention no longer set on his immediate predicament but on the beautifully dressed pony in front of him, he nearly didn't hear the soft greeting from the dark blue mare. As he turned around to see who the soft voice belonged to, his first immediate reaction was to bow as he recognized the dark blue mare that approached them. Unfortunately for him, his bow turned out to be more of an awkward frontal plop as he tried to keep his balance with his wings extended slightly to the side and his hoof tied to his neck. 'Wow, two great first impressions in under a few minutes, good going Clay.' He commented to himself perhaps a bit louder than he had hoped.

Melody giggled at his pun about his trouble she got closer to the stallion and inspected the bow quite carefully "Oh a matter that is easily fixed" she was blushing slightly at the handsome stallion while giggling at his play on words. Before she attended to the him she turned toward the dark figure soon seeing it was a Princess she bowed down and muttered an apology and then said "Good evening to you too. It's a wondrous night isn't it?" she asked the Princess as she untied the bow from the Stallion's neck freeing him from the awkward pose he was forced to take. "If you want this back on I'll just need you to stay still okay" she told him.

Luna turned her head to the side, stifling a giggle with a hoof at the ridiculous Pegasus caught up in his own attire. But Luna quickly pushed her laughter aside, smiling at the pair in a friendly manner. But before she could off to help the gray Pegasus, the purple Unicorn beat her to it. It was...nice, to see the kindness of others in action.

"Indeed it is." Luna replied to the Unicorn. She glanced up at the moon, admiring it for a brief moment. Though she saw it every night, each time there seemed to be something new about it...Then again, perhaps it was just that she was seeing it from a different point of view than she had in recent years.

"How are you enjoying the Gala?" she asked, turning back to the pair. She knew that Celestia arranged the Gala every year, making sure that everything would be perfect for all her guests.

Thinking about it for a moment Melody said "Even though the party has barely begun I'm still having fun I mean I get to meet the lovely queen of the moon and untie this fine gentlestallion from his tie" she smiled at both parties. "I don't think I've formally introduced myself" she bowed before the Princess "My name is MelodySpark and I enjoy to sing out into your glorious nighttime sky."

Clay let out a sigh of relief as his hoof finally became liberated from the bow-tie. He could finally bow properly and quickly did so and then stood back up as the mare responsible for his freedom asked him he if wanted his bow-tie back on. Hesitantly he rubbed his neck as he blushed while looking at the unicorn, considering the question and the fact she had been giggling and blushing lightly at him the whole time. He was about to answer when she introduced herself to Princess Luna, Clay having completely missed the question.

Picking up the queue from MelodySpark's introduction, he cleared his throat and turned to look at Princess Luna. "And I am Nimbus Clayton your highness." Clay chose to go with his actual name as opposed to his Nimbus "Claypot" nickname. "I too enjoy your nights Princess Luna." He said with a smile. "I am a humble potter and keep an open air workshop out in the Saddlevail Plains, just for the sake of enjoying the night sky." Clay could feel himself becoming slightly rigid and could do little to stop it being that he was in the presence of royalty, something he did not expect.

He kept on smiling and turned to look at Melody. "It is also a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Miss MelodySparks." Clay took the mare's hoof and placed a small peck on it as he re-introduced himself. "Nimbus Claypot, at your service and in your debt for saving me." He said letting out a small laugh.

Blushroom was still observing the trio in the clearing, still a bit puzzled as to the identity of the dark blue unicorn. The other two clearly knew who she was, and were even making polite bows. She must be very important, but she didn't seem to carry herself in the haughty manner the other "important" ponies at this shindig. Why, right now she was helping the purple unicorn untie the poor pegasus from his bow-tie fiasco. She was so wrapped up her thoughts that she didn't realize there was somepony right behind her!

"Excuse me."

She spun around and found herself face to face with a pair of purple eyes. Now, Blushroom if was shy around other mares, and even fillies, she was nearly TERRIFIED of members of the opposite sex. She quickly glanced away and frantically looked for a place to hide. There were some flowerbeds and bushes, but nothing that could conceal her completely enough. In those brief seconds of panic, she realized that this orange unicorn didn't seem to be quite as well dressed as a lot of the others she had seen. He had some lovely pins on his collar, but it looked like he too had done the best with what he had at the time in terms of wardrobe.

"H..H..Hi" She stammered, trying to hold herself together so she didn't look like a fool, "I'm Blushroom, I'm from Ponyville.". She tentatively held her unshod hoof out to the other pony.

Looking down at the stallion who held her hoof she smiled at his gentleness "It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance as well Mister.... Clay was it?" she sounded calm and smooth when on the inside she was frantic with the fact that she met Princess Luna and a handsome stallion was to much good luck for her to handle. 'Gotta keep it cool Melody. . . .' she thought to herself trying to slow her rapid heart beat. Even though Clay never answered her question she assumed he wanted the bow-tie back on, levitating it around his neck she tied a perfect bow with enough neck room to breathe and sit comfortably. "Now hopefully you won't mess this up and get BOTH your hooves tied in it." giggling again slightly "Well it's a good thing for you I know how to tie bows pretty well." backing up to see both Princess Luna and Clay also giving her enough room to actually take in what's going on she asked "So what are you two doing out here?"

Ashton turned to face the other pony. He hadn't really be expecting a response. Being lost in the garden he had only stepped around her out of reflex.

Looking again she was quite 'interesting' looking. He wasn't exactly that familiar with fashion but he thought the ensemble looked nice but the natural materials made him wonder if such a dress could stay together for more than one night before decaying. Still it was very pretty.

"Oh!?" he replied still a little surprised. "My Name is Ashton. From Rockwington." he extended his hoof for a brief hoofshake. He was a little intimated himself but as long as it was one Earth Pony he told himself he could get through it. Maybe he could try complementing her or something. He wasn't much good at pony pleasantries. "Your dress looks very nice. Did you make it yourself?"

EDIT: Changed to so he actually says something beyond a very brief introduction. Otherwise the entire conversation might consist of nervously staring at each other.

Gulping nervously, Valoren could almost feel his knees shaking give way before him. "C..cmon" he thought smiling weakly as he stepped throught he royal garden, the single black tuxedo, and green vest covering his body. Strolling silently, he thought to himself "Why am I so nervous? Im so supposed to be a brave, pegasus who fears little to nothing. Yet, here I am at a very formal event whcih Ive never been to before, nervous out of my mind. Why cant I just have a good time"?!?! Inahling, he stopped as he could feel his eyes dilate as he spotted several female ponies. One of them being Princess Luna herself!!! Now he was REALLY nervous. Gulping once more, he tried to keep silent as he tried to walk past the group of ponies without being noticed. "This is humialtting" He thought sadly. Usually he was a very outgoing, cheerful pony!! Here, he was a nervous wreck!!!

When the bow-tie began to levitate, Clay was admittedly caught a bit by surprise, his imagination getting the best of him causing him to feel a bit uneasy at the thought of it coming to life and trying to finish the job it started early crept into his thoughts. However, once he realized it was Melody's doing, he could do little more than relax and allow her to finish as he blushed and smiled at the kind pony. Once she was finished he looked down at it, amazed at how well it fit, and grinned at the helpful pony as she joked about getting two hoofs stuck 'I wouldn't dare mess with such beautiful handy work. But then again…' Clay thought for a second. 'If I hadn't in the first place I wouldn't have had such a beautiful mare as yourself tie my bow-tie for me.'

As Melody backed up and inquired about his and Princess Luna's reason for being out in the gardens, Clay waited a bit to see if the Princess would speak first. After a while however, hesitantly still making sure he wasn't cutting in front of Princess Luna, he figured it was okay to answer the question. 'I came out here to gather my thoughts a bit. I was surprised when I got invited to the Gala. My artisan teacher never attended such events, so I figured I too was, um, excluded from such extravagant gatherings. I was hesitant to come, but after I heard rumors of the palace being adorned with spectacularly designed vases and other ceramic wares, I couldn't help but come here looking for inspiration. Guess I got a little more than I expected though, and wanted to settle my thoughts a bit.' Clay then looked at Melody, then to Princess Luna, and then back to Melody.

'Hah, little did I know inspiration and beauty are in full bloom tonight out here as well.' He blushed as he told himself in his thoughts, 'Cheesy, that was cheesy Clay…' and then quickly cleared his throat. 'How about you, Princess Luna, your highness?' Unsure how to address royalty, then calmly looked back at Melody. 'And you, Miss Melody?'

"Oh thank you," Blushroom said shyly, "I did make it myself, it was once my mother's wedding dress" as she shifted her front legs a birch flower fell from her dress, causing their hoofshake to be possibly the briefest in existence. She hurriedly bent down to pick it up the flower and place it back where it belonged. As she did, stray strands of hair fell from her up-do and drifted across her muzzle. She was not good at these fancy parties.

In a desperate attempt to get the focus of the stallion, and the conversation off of her and her dress, she gestured with one hoof towards the trio in the clearing, who were still fiddling with the pegasus' bow tie. "That dark unicorn seems so familiar to me, and the other two seem to be treating her with with so much respect that I feel like I should know who she is. Do you know?

The cheesy compliment and the compliment before that came from the stallion earned a smile and blush from MelodySpark and a small giggle. Seeing that the Princess was probably waiting for her to say their hellos Melody told them why she came "I came here to hear the lovely music that the Gala always have" she started "Then I decided to come out to hear the natural music from the garden." even as she spoke she could hear the gardens music in nature in the swaying tree branches, the ponds gentle lapping of the sandy shore after her moment of music. MelodySpark shifted her gaze to Clay "But I guess I found more than what I asked for" she blushed

She shifted her gaze back to the Princess of the Moon, Melody was still astonished that she met her here of all places practically alone. Doing another bow to Princess Luna "I was quite shocked to see your dark elegant figure come our way" say said in awe at the beautiful princess "Please tell us why you decided to join us"

'I thought that a pleasant stroll before the Gala would be quite refreshing.' Luna responded to MelodySpark, after she had allowed Clayton to finish speaking. 'It is a pleasure to meet you both.' she ducked her head in greeting.

'I am very well, thank you Clayton.' Luna said. 'The night air is very soothing to the mind and body, don't you think?

Just then, she noticed a black Pegasus walking quietly by. She turned, even as MelodySpark spoke, to greet the newcomer.

'Hello there.' she called out to him.

"Hmmm?" He turned to face the trio. It wasn't Celestia. He had glimpsed the princess in his moment spent in the Main Hall before it got to be too much for him. There was some resemblance though, even if just the horn and wings. Ask him to identify the top members of the Razorclaw, Goldplume, or Silverbeak family. That he could do. Equestrian nobles? Nope. Not a clue.

He shook his head. "No idea. Does Princess Celestia have any relatives? That would be my guess." Her dress was quite stunning. Probably the best Ashton had seen all night. Then again he might be just admiring the jewelry which was top class. Each diamond shone like a little star. It was hard to get jewel to be so brilliant even in the dark. Maybe he would see if he could work up the courage to ask who did them.

Vintage came across a clearing in the garden before long - although how clear it was could be determined differently from eye to eye. Indeed, there seemed to be quite a gathering. And- ...ooh, was that Princess Luna? Even by squinting, it was hard to tell, having left her glasses at home, but the dark pelt and the long mane as inky as the night sky. That alone was enough for her shyness to kick back in. Stop squinting, Vintage. Ponies are going think you're glaring at them. Swallowing the lump in her throat, the mare skirted around the outside of the garden, trying to be inconspicuous as she made her way to the pond.

Upon arriving, she'd sit herself neatly down along the bank and let out a small sigh. She wasn't very much good at this socializing business, that was certain. Or at least not that good at starting the conversations. She glanced at the chattering ponies scattered around the garden (or what she could make out of them) and even from that far away, she could hear the music and gaiety from inside the castle. She dipped the brim of her cloche hat gently, just enough to cover the tops of her eyes. "Maybe I shouldn't have come," she muttered to herself. "Really, I don't much know anypony, and I'd think that the higher-class ponies would have a better time with one another than someone who...collects dusty old clothes and records."

There was a calming feeling to the night, at least. Some sort of serenity to the cool breeze and the dark sky. It made it hard for her to truly be melancholy about her trivial predicaments when everyone around was making merry, no matter how much of a sore hoof she felt like.

Valoren froze at the sound of others greeting him, as he slowly turned to the others. Gasping at the sight of Princess Luna, he bowed his head low in respect as he siad "P..princess Luna. Its an honor". Raising his head, he turned to the other one named Melody as he nodded "Hello their". Looking at the two, he coughed to try and not sound so nervous. "Its a pleasure to be here and meet with umm...others. I honestly didnt expdect to get a ticket to this Gala". Noticing how beautiful Luna was, he blushed lightly at her prescences as he said "So umm, thank you for..inviting me uh..to this umm...here".

'So she came to the Gala to listen to music, perhaps she likes music? That would make sense given her dress.' Clay began to ponder the interests of Melody as he stood there listening to her and kept mind of what Princess Luna said as well. When she mentioned that she found more than what she asked for, he instinctively followed her gaze and looked behind him, completely missing what she meant, only to turn his head back and catch a glimpse of her blushing. 'Um? OH! Well, maybe she'd be interested in going to the ballroom after wards.' Clay thought to himself as he caught on and heard Melody speak to Princess Luna.

As Luna called out to a pony that was walking by, he too could not help but notice a familiar figure sitting next to the pond. At least he thought it looked familiar, something about the way she was dressed told him he knew who it was. Looking closer, he began to smile to himself as it dawned on him who the familiar pony was. Turning his gaze back to Princess Luna, the lovely Melody, and the newly arrived guest, he bowed politely. 'Your highness, Miss Melody…' He quickly noticed how nervous the new pony seemed to look. 'Umm, newly arrived guest, please excuse me for a minute. I believe I've spotted a friend of mine whom I haven't greeted yet, or for that matter seen in a while.' With another quick bow, he began to make his way towards the sitting figure, making it a point to stop next to the nervous stallion. As he did, he put a hoof on his shoulder and spoke only loud enough for him to hear. 'Relax, at least you don't have your hoof tied to your neck like I did, you can't do worst than me.' He let out a shallow chuckle as he started to walk again only to stop two or three steps away from where he started, and immediately turned around.

He approached Melody and with a blushing smile addressed the pony that had helped him out of a pickle early. 'In case you wonder off, or in case I manage to get my hoof stuck again in some other piece of my tuxedo… It would be rude of me not to properly thank my rescuer.' Clay continued to smile as he took Melody's hoof once again and placed another gentle peck on it. 'Perhaps later in the evening you'd be interested in joining me at the Ballroom for a dance?' Off in the distance some pecking noises could be heard, perhaps a woodpecker to eager to sleep. Clay not missing a queue continued smiling, 'Or perhaps if you are a bit peck-ish, we could meet at the buffet for a late dinner?'