Pre-show Jitters[ENDED]

The night of the Gala was here. Every year was the same: a new show, a quick meal, and hanging out with the fans for the rest of the night. But every year, Soarin' got jittery. And this year he was performing for not just the Princess and her debutantes, but for the new Princess, and for several hundred new ponies.

Soarin' paced around the V.I.P. area, his goggled eyes flitting from point to point, pony to pony outside the roped off area. He was a hero to those ponies, just like the earlier Wonderbolts were for him. These were new faces, and that meant that this would be their first show. And it was up to him, and his team to make this the best night ever.

"Gotta get it right. Gotta be amazing. Gotta be perfect." He said aloud, mostly to himself.

"Of course you will!" Spitfire said, coming up behind Soarin'. She walked around so that she could face him, eye to eye, as best they could with their goggles on. She'd caught him shifting around in nervous looking way. That was unusual, Soarin' usually seemed rahter calm, except perhaps when he got excited about food.

Spitfire smiled at him. They'd done a lot of shows in their time, and each one seemed different and new in a way. There was always a unique twist on each show, for better or for worse.

"What's up Soarin'? You don't seem like yourself." she said, cocking her head to the side.

Soarin's ears perked when he heard Spitfire's voice. He looked back into her eyes when she looked into his and was thankful for the suit to hide his blush. He shook his head and flicked it back toward the roped off entrance.

"You know me, heh. There are...a lot of new ponies out there, and we need to make their nights perfect!" Soarin' said, blustering quietly. "Plus, this year we have Both Princesses, and we don't even know if the new Princess is gonna like us. What if she doesn't? We haven't met her yet, what if she prefers faster tricks? Or doesn't like tricks at all? What if...uh...I'm...worrying too much, huh..?" He said, drawing himself up again, though his knees were still trembling.

"You're joshin' me!" Spitfire said, giving Soarin' a playful punch to the shoulder. "Soarin', the famous Wonderbolt, afraid of little criticism? Princess Celestia has asked us to come back year after year, so at least she likes our tricks. We perform because we love it, not because of what anypony else thinks. Well, at least I do. But a couple of "boos" have never stopped us before. Unless... Soarin', are you a little sweet on the new Princess?" Spitfire arched an eyebrow.

Soarin' chuckled and grinned, rubbing his shoulder. "Hey, what can I say, I love playing the hero. These ponies all look up to us, and I hate to disappoint."

He draws himself up and leans in, whispering into Spitfire's ear on his way past "Besides, maybe it's you I want the new Princess to be impressed with.", then returning to a conversational tone as he trotted over to the staging grounds and peeked in. "The Princesses' opinions carry a lot of weight, so we should probably make sure to talk to them after the show to see how they liked it. Besides, I heard a lot of stories about her, and she could use a friend or two."

"Well, I guess you're right about that." Spitfire responded to Soarin' comment about them being "heroes."

"Hardy har har." she sarcastically laughed, as Soarin' whispered his 'secret' into her ear.

"Puh-lease." she said, coming up next to him. She's a Princess. Everypony adores her, just like they do with Princess Celestia. But, it wouldn't hurt to meet her. Princess Celestia has always been very hospitable towards our group. Besides, I know the real reason you want to meet with the Princesses..." she turned in the opposite direction, throwing a sly smile over her shoulder. "You just want them to point you in the direction of the buffet table."

Tobias was kinda jittery as he went towards the V.I.P. section. He wondered if any of the Wonderbolts would remember him as one of the ones that almost made it. One of the ones that failed because of the incident. One of the ones that couldn't show his face at the tryouts because of the incident. He was looking down at the ground not able to see where he was going at the moment. He had his ears to his head thinking about it. He was in a white suit just a regular suit with a carnation in a pocket on the front. Since he wasn't watching where he was going he bumped into a pony she had the bright orange or yellow tail and mane. It was Spitfire! "Oh I'm pretty sorry. I wasn't paying attention." He sighed.

Soarin' grunted a little and shook his head. "Ugh, I don't even wanna THINK about food right now. My stomach is still in knots, and the butterflies are doing number seventeen, heh." He said, before standing up straight again.

"But I guess the show must go on, right? We've only got a few more...long...minutes to wait....doing nothing...before it starts...Hey, you wanna go-Oh, Woah!" He started, before his partner was suddenly stumbled into, causing the pegasus to automatically backwing a good foot or two to avoid a similar collision.

Soarin'? Not concerned about food? Well, everypony got nervous sometimes, right? Although, with the way Soarin' was acting, it was starting to rub off on Spitfire. Just as she was starting to get jitters herself, the conversation with Soarin' was interrupted by a red Pegasus.

"Hey there!" she said cheerfully, almost always happy to greet a fan. She had a suspicion that his bumping into her wasn't an accident. Similar occurrences had happened with other fans, where they 'accidentally' gotten in their way, or bumped into them, or ran into them, or 'happened' to notice them.

Placing a hoof aside her face, she whispered. "You know you're not supposed to be here, right?"

"Oh I'm so sorry I wasn't paying attention at all. I had a lot on my mind." His ears went down to his head. He really didn't want to annoy her. "I dont want to annoy you two at all I'm just kind of apprehensive of getting autographs." He looked down at the ground blushing. His past was so bad for trying to get into the Wonderbolts he has bad memories for them. He still wanted to get autographs though since he loved the Wonderbolts. He enjoyed there shows and wished he could get in the sky's again himself so he could do awesome tricks like them.

Star Chaser was trying not to look like she felt awkward tonight, which was proving to be difficult. She had been chatting a little with a few of the other ex Wonderbolts in the VIP section when she noticed a fan walked right into Spitfire, She couldn't help but giggle. Realizing she hadn't talked to Spitfire or Soarin' yet, she figured this was as good of a time as any to go over and say hi. As she walked over she tucked her good wing in tightly, she always thought her one winged profile looked weird but having her wings out felt more natural. She took a deep breath and walked over with a smile "Hey you two! Good luck tonight!" It was only a few months ago that she was flying next to the two of them and now would just have to watch.

Spitfire's gaze fell curiously on Tobias' injured wing, but her eyes didn't stay there for long. It wasn't at all polite. But it gave her an awful feeling in the fit of her stomach, a reminder that accidents could happen if a Pegasi wasn't careful. That was especially true of their group, with all the stunts and tricks. Just one wrong move andâ€â€Â

Spitfire shook her head. "Well, we're not really supposed to give out autographs until after the show." Of course, they'd made several exceptions over the years, but the time for the show to start was drawing closer. "How'd you get in here anyway?" Spitfire realized that the red Pegasi didn't look like he should be on the V.I.P. list. But, then again, maybe he knew somepony who got him in. "I thought Princess Celestia promised us security..." she mumbled to herself.

Spitfire looked up as Star Chaser walked over and called out to them. Spitfire swallowed. Star Chaser was yet another reminder that their tricks had to be perfect. That's why they practiced, over and over... But things still happened sometimes. Accidents.

Still, she smiled cheerfully, even as the pit in her stomach grew. "Hey, Star! Guess it's been awhile, huh?" she said, waving a hoof.

"Well I dont know I got in probably because one of the Wonderbolts was a friend that got in instead of me and he wanted to help me out so he put me on as a guest. I didn't get to get in the same day he did because of my indecent." His ears flopped down low. He was remembering the time that he was crying in the forest before he went back to Ponyville to get his wing stitched up. "It's fine if I wait to go and get my autograph after the show you dont have to do it right now. I wouldn't want to trouble you any."

Soarin' looked at the newcomer and the ex-Wonderbolt and flapped his wings self-consciously. He remembered hearing about the red one, of course, Tomas, or Torrent, or something like that, but they'd been neck deep in applicants at the time and there were never many spots open.

That still was no excuse to be back here so close to show-time, but the blue pegasus found it hard to be mad at the little guy, so he just let Spitfire handle things. Star Chaser, on the other hoof, was something closer to home. That accident was likely contributing to his jitters now, come to think, since this would be their first major appearance without the more experienced mare.

"Thanks! Hopefully we can pull it off the way we practiced. It'll be tough without you, though." Soarin' said, unsure what else to do or say.

Star gave her friends a little half smile, she almost felt like she might be making them nervous... like she was a reminder of what happened, so close to show time. Star didn't want anypony to feel bad though, her time as a Wonderbolt was great and she didn't regret anything. "You guys will be awesome! Don't worry about me, what happened wasn't anypony's fault. Besides I'm still pretty fast! Challenge you two to a foot race after your show?" she gave the two of them a friendly little smirk.

For obviously being a Stallion, this guy acted almost like a Colt. Maybe it had something to do withâ€â€Âwell, Spitfire wasn't going to bring it up. She'd seen her share of handicapped ponies, what with all the charity events and visits to schools and the like.

"Hey, have you got a pen?" she smiled at Tobias. She didn't want to rush, but it was only a couple of minutes to show time, and she and Soarin' both needed to do a final check and make sure that everything was ready and in order before they all started.

Carrot Fields could be called one lucky earth pony. Most ponies of his variety; average, run of the mill farmers would never appear at a place like the Grand Galloping Gala, they would never receive an invitation, and it was by invitation only. Carrot was very lucky though, he managed somehow to win one in a raffle he didn't even remember entering; it was probably something his sister, Purple Haze, entered him in for whatever strange amusement that little filly found out of it.

Not only that, but this was no mere ticket - this was a VIP ticket! This gave him a wonderful opportunity that an earth pony like himself almost never got - a chance to meet the Wonderbolts! They were such amazing flyers ... he would love to get all their autographs.

But he wouldn't. He knew someone who'd be even more delighted with a full set of Wonderbolt autographs - Bolt! She'd be so thrilled, and he'd be a hero in her eyes! He really *did* want to make her happy, somehow, and this would be a great way to do so!

He smiled happily as he trotted up to the golden rope, took a deep breath, and stepped across into the VIP area. He was scared to open his mouth - his farmer's accent would surely give him away amongst all these rich types. He'd get in, find the Wonderbolts, get the autographs, and get out again. What could possibly go wrong?

He he prepared - he had dusted off his pa's old suit, gotten it all cleaned up and fixed, and it fit him surprisingly well. His sister had put a whole load of gunk in his mane, and to his amazement it was actually seeming to stay in place! Mostly. And he knew Soarin always loved to get a pie after flying, so he had his sister's carefully prepared Carrot and Spice Pie all ready.

All he had to do was walk up to them and ask. He'd try Soarin first - Soarin seemed like a very normal sort of a pony, in his interviews. "Umm ... well, umm, hey, how's it going? Oh!" Carrot suddenly pulled out a large pie seemingly out of nowhere, "Oh hey! Ye ken pie roit?! Oi've some pie!" he smiled with a very large, rather goofy awkward smile with wide eyes, realizing that he being a fan colt goob, but he couldn't help it.

Tobias smiled that she was willing to sign her autograph for him now. "Oh sure I have a pen." He grabs one out of his small saddle bag on his side. "I just dont want make any of the other fans around jealous or hold you up. It seems like you need to get going to the show. I cant wait to see all of you do all of your great tricks." He was still a big fan of the Wonderbolts and there tricks. If he was still able to fly he would try and duplicate there moves himself.

'Who kept letting these ponies in here?' Soarin' thought to himself with a nervous chuckle. "It smells pretty good, thanks! I've got to go on soon, but drop it off by that table over there, and we can hang out when the show's done." He said with a smile.

Sure, fans being in the lounge before the ropes drop was a little hassle, but it was nice to remember why they were doing this. He wasn't just some pegasus in a fancy costume. He was a Wonderbolt! A hero and role model to pegasi everywhere. He had this. "Can I do anything for you? It's nice knowing I won't have to take up the buffet after a show, heh." He said, sounding much more confident.

Retirement definitely had its perks. Aristotle Ironwing had all the time in Equestria to catch up on the reading he had meant to do over the years. He could follow his own balanced training routines instead of the joint-grinding, mind-numbing, injury-inducing exercises that the army insisted would make stronger stallions. He could finally sit down and have dinner with his son at least once a week. Finally, he always received complimentary tickets to the Grand Galloping Gala. The old stallion smiled as he stepped up to the ropes of the VIP section and flashed his rank insignia to the guard.

Diomedes shuffled uncomfortably behind his father. He hated formal attire; it was stuffy, it was restrictive, and it always meant dealing with equally stuffy and restrictive ponies. Dio unconsciously pulled at his bowtie with a hoof. He was definitely out of his element. But he didn't come here for the 'festivities;' he came here to spend time with his dad. With their jobs the way they were, opportunities like this didn't come very often. Dio sighed and stepped up beside Aristotle.

The guard Pegasus snapped a salute off to Aristotle before waving him and Diomedes through the ropes. Captain Aristotle returned the salute and curtly stepped into the carpeted VIP area. Though the old stallion was past his prime, his natural charisma and formal military regalia made him seem larger than life. Even Dio's mighty frame seemed diminished as Captain Aristotle strode toward where the Wonderbolts had gathered, his head held high and his steps most martial in nature. Aristotle did not need armor to look like a warrior; his Class-A uniform and beret were enough.

'Fillies and gentlecolts of the Wonderbolts,' he said, addressing Soarin and Spitfire specifically, but not afraid to speak in front of their obvious fans. The old stallion's voice was like the roll of distant thunder. 'As one of your regular patrons, I am very much looking forward to the show. I wish you nothing but the best of luck in your coming performance.'

As Spitfire was about to take the pen from Tobias, when a gray Earth pony casually sauntered up. What the hay?! she thought. Where was the security in all this? They were going to end up being late for the show, and that wouldn't do at all. But, the good thing was that the attention seemed to be distracting Soarin' enough that he wasn't as nervous.

While he was occupied, Spitfire grabbed the pen, just as two more Pegasi approached. 'Uhh...fank coo.' she mouthed around the pen to the pair. Then, sliding it to the side of her mouth so she could better be able to speak, she asked Tobias, 'Who do I make this out to?'

Tobias defently noticed the large pony that just came in. He looked like he was part of the military but retired. Even though he was retired he looked like a real warrior pony. He then looked back at Spitfire taking out a poster of the Wonderbolts as she asked who to make the autograph out to. "Oh please make it out to me Tobias Salil. I thank you for doing this for me I know that where supposed to get the autographs after the show but your taking your time to do it before. This means a lot to me. I so wish I could have made it that one day and maybe I could have been in her with you ponies for real."

The area around the Wonderbolts was getting crowded with ponies vying for their attention, with more and more guests entering the area.  Worse, it seemed they were almost ready to start their show, and who knows if he would get anywhere close to them afterwards, even with his having won the 'WonderGala' contest for WCLD Cloudsdale Radio.  If he was going to get their autographs for Bolt, the filly pegasus he wanted to surprise, it was now or never.

Carrot dutifully and carefully placed the pie for Soarin on the table.  He was so nervous that the pie was shaking rather violently in his teeth by the time he got it there, but at least he managed not to drop it.  Turning back to Soarin with a nervous grin while he still had the blue Wonderbolt's attention, he cheerfully said, "Aye, ah ... Oi promise Oi willnae take but a mite a' yer toim, an' then Oi'll be outtae yer mane."

Rubbing the back of his mane with his hoof as he blushed, he figured he'd appeal to Soarin as a fellow colt in his request.  Surely Soarin knew what it was like, wanting to impress a filly.  What colt didn't? "If'ee'd ken, Oi have a friend ... a bonnie filly, named Bolt, and she is a full bhoona fan of ye lads an' lasses.  Oi was ... umm ... Oi hoped Oi could get yer scrawl here on th' back of moi Gala Ticket?"  He smiled nervously as he pulled the golden ticket, and the 'Wondergala Contest Winner' VIP pass out of his pocket with his teeth, hoping Soarin would understand.  "Oi have a pen and everything!  Ye know how it is, wanting tae impress a bonnie filly?"  Carrot politely placed the ticket on an open space on the table with the pen next to it.  "If Oi kin, Oi'm hoping tae get yer autographs an' wow her!"

Soarin' nodded politely and smiled to the two regulars. He didn't need to ask how THEY got in. Instead he turned his focus to the odd pony with the strong accent. He had an idea that was probably gonna knock both of their socks off, but he was sure there wouldn't be any problems. In the meantime, though, his ear twitched when he heard their manager announce 5 minutes to showtime.

"Oh, man. I understand completely! I'll tell you what, hang around until after the show, and I'll give you something even better than a gala ticket!" Soarin' announced to the earth pony with a sly grin. "I promise, just hold tight and you won't be disappointed! You can even watch the show from here! But don't get any autographs yet!"

Spitfire looked down at the poster Tobias was holding, writing out a quick note on it and signing her name. Then she nudged Soarin', pointing the pen at him so he could take it. She'd heard the announcement too, and was eager to get ready. She was glad of Soarin's quick thinking to get rid of the gray pony. Spitfire adored her fans, of course. Just not right before show time. Afterward she was more than happy to chill with all of them and sign any amount of autographs.

'We'll probably see you again after the show.' she said, backing away from the group of ponies. 'Hope you all enjoy the show. Later Tobi!' she said, edging away so she wouldn't get flocked again, but trying to wait for Soarin' to finish up.