Into the Gala we must go

It wasn't his scene, he had to admit. But, Re-roll had been invited to the Grand Gallpoing Gala, one of the most prestigious events in Equestria, so somepony somewhere thought good of him. That thought calmed him as he stepped into the main hall along with several other ponies. He was glad for one thing: the Princess had chosen a good date for the Gala, as it was one of the days he was in Ponyville for work. He stood by a wall, hoping he didn't get noticed by anyone too important. Places like this always made him a little nervous. It wasn't like the game store, where ponies knew who he was. Here, he didn't know anypony and nopony knew him. Nonetheless, he kept his eye out for anyone familiar, or at least friendly.

'The Grand Galloping Gala! I can't believe I was invited!' Merry thought happily as she flew towards the main gate enjoying the sunset "I guess this is that Magic hour I've heard so much about". Landing in front of the it Merry showed her golden ticket to the guards and they let her in. She started to trot towards the main hall when she noticed a pony hanging in the background "Hm wonder what that pony is up to" she said aloud "Let's go see!" flying over happily to meet this pony she stopped in front of him "Hi! I'm Merry!" she cheered "Who are you? Why are you in the background you should be having fun this is a party!"

"Oh, hi. I'm Re-roll." Re-roll said as the other pony approached him cheerfully. "I'm not really one for social occasions like this." It was true. He preferred the moderately quiet atmosphere of the game store to the Gala. "But it's a chance to meet new people, so I suppose it's not that bad."

Merry pouted at his response feeling that a colt his age should be more excited to be at one of the biggest parties of the year. Thinking about it for a second she decided to ask the colt a question "Would you mind being my um what do ponies call it....." she pondered since she never brushed up on speaking properly her job never called for her to speak on find and deliver "A date! That's right would you mind being my date for the evening? I came here alone and would at least like somepony else to talk to." giving one of her brightest smiles to Re-roll "That is if you want to if you don't I totally understand and I'll just go see if there is some pony else who wants to hang out with me." she turned away from Re-roll expecting a rejection to her proposal.'I highly doubt somepony else would want to hang out with a dud like me anyway' thinking silently to her with a heavy sigh.

As Merry trotted alongside Re-Roll she had a few more questions for him so she can get to know him better "Hey Re-roll?" she started "What do you do? I mean what's your special talent" Merry refused to walk in awkward silence and wanted to break the ice somehow. Looking at the Colt he did seem cute but he probably wasn't her type so she shrugged 'Can't judge everypony just by there look Merry you know that' scolding herself silently. "Also what do you do for a living?"

Re-roll smiled at Merry again. "My special talent? Tabletop gaming. Things like Forests and Fillies, you know." Deep down, he was kicking himself. Great wrok. What if she thinks you're a wierdo? Well, no turning back now. he thought to himself. "I work in a game store in Fillydelphia. Though I have to sometimes travel to Ponyville. Work reasons."

"Ah Forests and Fillies huh? I've heard of that game but I've never actually played it myself." she admitted slightly embarrassed for some reason "Maybe you can teach me sometime" trotting a head Merry tried to decide where to go and headed in the direction of the buffet "Fillydelphia is a wonderful city I used to live there before I moved to Applelosa" sighing heavily as she missed all the places she stayed at 'Maybe I should visit Fillydelphia again sometime and the other places I've lived.' she looked over at her date 'I have plenty of reason to visit Fillydelphia now' blushing at the thought.

"Well, if you're ever in Fillydelphia, stop by the store. We run how-to-play sessions weekly. You could learn then." Re-roll followed Merry over to the buffet. "Man, I'm hungry. I haven't eaten since I arrived in Ponyville. I'll be here for the next couple of weeks, by the way."

"I haven't eaten in a while either" trotting a bit faster as she smelled the food 'smells delicious' thinking to herself for a moment and heard that he was staying in Ponyville for a while 'Great! Now I don't have to rush to get to know him better' relief flooding through her happy she isn't pressed for time. "I'll be sure to stop by your shop only if you promise to teach me how to play" she giggled "So you're staying in Ponyville after the Gala huh? Do you think we can meet up again? Maybe do something together and get to know one another better" throwing out suggestions in hope one of them would strike his fancy.

"Don't wory. I'll teach you the tricks of the trade." Re-roll said, enjoying the company. "When I'm in Ponyville, you can usually find me in Sugarcube corner on an afternoon. Meet you there?" Usually, he spent most of his time in Ponyville working in another game store, and avoiding the pink ball of crazy, so it would be nice to get to know the locals.

"Great! I'd be thrilled to learn all the tricks from a master of the game" bouncing with each step now excited that she's making a good impression on a future friend 'Finally I'm making friends and possibly more this was the best idea I've had in a while!' she thought "Of course I'll meet you at Sugarcube corner although I'm not a local. I live far away from here I'm just here for the gala and a vacation" explaining the situation to him.

Merry thought about the question for a while after a few heartbeats she answered "My special talent is mail delivery" hoping it didn't sound stupid to her new friend she continued "It's a long story as to why I love to delivery mail and packages and such and I'm a mail courier and because of that I like to move around all over Equestria so I can do all sorts of mailing to all ponies." she sighed as she thought about her love of mail delivery. It probably sounded weird to the Colt but she didn't care it's what she loved "If you ever need a delivery pony I'm you Mare" she exclaimed rather automatically. Saying that was always her catch phrase for when she advertise her job.

When Merry heard the question her stomach growled loudly as if it was going to answer for her. She blushed heavily that she did something so un-lady like and apologized profusely "I'm so so so so so sorry. That was very un-ladylike. . . . ." after a couple minutes of apologizing she finally got around to answering the question "As you heard at this point anything will do from tiny daisy sandwiches to a big bowl of salad or maybe brownies oh I do love a good round of baked goods."

Was pretty much running by the time she got close to the buffet room but realized that she might of left Re-Roll behind. Merry slowed down to a slow trot so she could keep next to him she wondered what he thought about the Gala most ponies think it's the best party ever so far Merry was thinking the same thing but other ponies have been quite bored with it. "So Re-Roll what do you think of the Gala so far?" looking at him as the entered the buffet line "What do you plan to do while you're here?"

Trying to think of more questions she crinkled her muzzle in deep thought hoping she isn't boring the poor colt with her constant babble.

"Well, I don't know. It seems nice. A bit too upper-class for my tastes, if you know what I mean." Re-roll gasped as he finally caught up with Merry. "I didn't really have any plans. Maybe just come over, see what it was like, and stay if I liked it. Yourself?"

"Well a good job you were doing checking out the party from the main gate huh?" she giggled "I came here in search of meeting Princess Celestia or any other famous ponies but seeing as they might be in the V.I.P section there went my dream" sighing inwardly wondering what other nice ponies she might meet during the party since there is quite a few from all over Equestria. Merry realized they made it to the buffet or what she thought was the buffet room she ran in the doors and saw they made it to a private room that had smells that were identical to the buffet "Oh shoot wrong room...." grumbling to herself look around to see where they are and if they could head back. Unfortunately they were so wrapped up in talking that she didn't know where they came from or where they been all she saw was a sea of ponies she didn't know "Well this is just wonder....."