Catching a Breather

MudBug

Why.

Why had she given in?

Why hadn't she just said -no-!?

MudBug was the last person you'd expect to see at the Gala, given her occupation and terminal fear of all things pertaining to cleanliness. And darn it how she revelled in her happy filth.

However tonight it seemed she had temporarily given up her contented muddiness for a more glamorous look, ears folded against her head as she currently stood at the furthest part of the courtyard in an attempt to remain invisible and psyche herself up mentally for the oncoming challenge.

She felt so unnatural right now. So out of place.

Granted her mother's dress was lovely and what they'd done with it, atleast it fit her! Looking over the soft white feather design and the small gems stitched into the fabric that glinted softly in the light, the mud pony couldn't help but groan slightly. She wanted mud! She wanted to squelch her hooves in some lovely, moist, rich, earth smelling, cooling MUD!

But tonight, she'd have to wait.

Mask donned and promise made to her mother, she was going to weather this challenge until it drove her INSANE.

I can do this, it's just a party. I can do this. Just imagine your mud puddle back home and this will go by MUCH faster.

And soon after that though process she continued trying to use her breathing method to calm herself down.

Shimmer Star

Shimmer Star walked down the path in the courtyards, watching her feet and carefully placing the as to not slip in fancy slippers. The had looked plenty sturdy (While still being elegant) when she'd first saw them, but now that she was wearing them, well... The had to be to big or something, because they made it so hard for Shimmer to keep her balance. She could try flying, but then they would probably fall off.

Shimmer gave up with walking, simply plopping down on the soft grass and looking around. The whole gala was amazing of course, and Shimmer could not stop thinking 'wow!' but she just wasn't a very fancy pony. She was only there because her weather-pony parents had somehow gotten tickets (Her parents had most likely told her how, but she hadn't been listening,) and they couldn't leave their 'little daughter' back at Cloudsdale. The dress was pretty, and meeting new ponies was fun, granted, but there was only so much a filly could take.

She wasn't that social back at home, anyways.

Aqua Drop

"Ooh.... err.... um.... agh...."

A lonely little Hippocamp was stuck. Not physically, but mentally. Aqua paced her way around one of the various crystal clear ponds that decorated the Courtyard, the wheels on her cart already wearing a path into the grass.

"Should I go in? Nah, I would probably get shooed out. But I have a ticket! I was royally invited! But then again, if I got that sort of reaction from Ponyville, who knows what would happen in THERE with all those snooty snobs..." She debated with herself out loud, trying to convince herself to go inside and stay outside at the same time! She looked over to the calm, cool stillness of the pond longingly every once in a while, wishing she could just jump right in and disappear into the depths...

Aqua was NOT in her element. All gussied up, she looked breathtaking in her special Gala dress. That fancy dressmaker in town made her outfit specifically for her - the fabric was enchanted to be perpetually damp to keep her skin moist so she could stay on land for the whole Gala, and was fashioned into simple gown that flowed elegantly over her tail. Strings of natural pearls wrapped around her front hooves, tail and hair, which was braided and tied up in gentle clumps. But her dress, even if it was enchanted, couldn't get wet or else it would disintegrate in the water...

Her Carriage was even decorated too! Pearls interwoven between the wheel spokes, and the seat was covered in a light blue cloth that matched her dress. But the dressmaker had sneakily made sure that Aqua couldn't go hide in the water... her carriage was strapped on under her dress, so for her to take off the cart so it wouldn't get wet, Aqua would have to take off the dress.... which she could not do on her own.

She heaved a huge sigh, starting her laps around the pond again. Aqua usually wasn't this antisocial, but the stuffy atmosphere was getting to her, scaring her. It reminded her of when she had tried to live in that one Hippocamp city by the Gallapocous Island.... stuffy, prim, and eccentrically elegant. Everything Aqua was NOT.

Looks like it was going to be a long night.

"Aqua Drop!" Tempest flitted towards the hippocamp happily, glad to see a familiar face on her way in. The green pegasus was wearing a lacey gown that sparkled as it if was made from lines of frost. Which was only natural, as it was in fact made partially out of frost that Tempest had made herself. She'd gotten a unicorn to place a nevermelt enchantment on the ice.

"Aqua, I'm so glad you're here." She fluttered over casually. "I'm awfully nervous, do you think my dress is ok? Yours is amazing, by the way." She glanced out over the ponies funneling in, an eye toward their outfits. "Oh! Did I ever tell you about the last time I was in Canterlot? I actually got to meet Princess Luna! And I don't mean just see her, I actually spoke to her and got to walk around town with her a bit. I wonder if she'll remember me. Maybe she's the one who sent me my invitation, I was awfully surprised to get one."

Tempest's nervousness manifested as a restless inability to keep her hooves on the ground. She fluttered around a few inches above the ground as she orbited her friend.

*Yawn* Klondike did his best to stifle a yawn as he walked into the courtyard area of the castle. He had just finished eating at the buffet and unfortunately for him, stuffing himself like a turkey always made him a bit tired. Hoping the night air would wake him up a bit, he took a deep breath as he continued further into the courtyard. With each step he took, subconsciously, his right ear twitched frantically as it tried to recognize all the new noises that were assaulting it from all angles, a task it took on by itself since Klondike's left ear had long since called for mercy while at the buffet and now lazily slumped to the side.

As he kept on walking, a very low metallic jingle was barely audible. He wore a rather old looking, yet fashionable, dark blue vest with white stitching that gave it an almost checkered look to it. Underneath the vest he wore a white long sleeved shirt that also had equally white, but a thicker checkered stitches. The tie he wore however was simplistic, and yet was an icy blue color that matched his hair. He looked more like help staff rather than a guest, but he liked his outfit and thought himself rather fashionable in it.

As another low metallic jingle sounded out with his hoof steps, Klondike stopped and opened his vest to address the culprits inside. 'You guys have been awfully quiet this whole time. I brought you here to help me relax, not for you to just sit there quietly.' He was addressing a small 4-set tool kit that he had tucked away inside the inner pocket of his vest. Undeniably, Klondike was a bit out of his element in such an extravagant setting and could not yet figure out why a simple handy repair pony like himself had received such an honor as to be invited to the Grand Galloping Gala. He figured he wouldn't feel so overwhelmed if he brought something familiar to ease his nerves.

'… Well, not like there's anything for you guys to fix here anyways.' Klondike continued to address his tools as he closed his vest and began to walk again into the courtyard and looked around. Not too far off, he could see a mare who seemed to be having some sort of panic attack by the way she was breathing. He also spotted a Pegasus pony sitting on the grass and another flying, well, more like hovering off the ground talking to another pony by the pond, completely missing the fact it wasn't a pony thanks to the beautiful dress she wore. The cart was a little odd he admitted, but maybe she was selling something. He'd have to check out her wares later. First, his curiosity and inability to ignore a pretty mare demanded he make his way to what he believed to be a panicking pony. Once within earshot, he called out with a smile but furrowed brows. "Are you okay Miss?"

Aqua Drop

"Aqua Drop!"

"I'M NOT GETTING MY DRESS WET!!" Aqua yelled out automatically, startled by the sudden call of her name. She whipped her head around to see only Tempest Rime, her best pegasus friend. She sighed heavily, slumping in her cart. "Oh horsefeathers, Tempest. Don't do that!! Scared me to pieces!" She laughed weakly, watching her friend as she nervously fluttered around her, orbiting her in a skittery pace.

"Oh, relax Temp. Your dress looks fabulous on you! Suits you perfectly. And thanks, yeah my dress is neat. It's enchanted to keep me nice and damp all through the night. I just can't get it wet or it will dissolve... heh heh... talk about backwards, a Hippocamp not allowed to get wet..." She laughed, rubbing one leg with her other hoof nervously. "Princess Luna? Isn't the that one that had gotten stuffed in the moon for a thousand years? Man, I can only imagine what kind of attitude she had when she got out..."

"And yeah, I was SO surprised to get an invitation too. I mean, I didn't even know the Princess knew I EXISTED, let alone lived in Ponyville. I actually laughed in the poor mail deliverer's face when she gave me the letter. I hope she didn't take it personally... I thought she had the wrong address! Her eyes did look kind of weird..."

Breath. Breath, MudBug.

There were other ponies around you, but they barely knew you.

It's okay. Relax. And breath.

Are you okay miss?

Was that adressed to her...?

She froze up and gulped, straightening up her mask before she turned her head slightly and blinked at Klondike...it looked like he was adressing her. He must've been adressing her. Darnit. Squeaking under her breath she forced a smile to her maw and turned fully, trying to convey a sense of calm that was far from where she was and also trying to keep her mothers immaculate white, oh heavens why WHITE, dress in order.

"Oh yes! I'm completely fine! Nooooo problem here, sir!"

Lieing through her teeth she continued to try and force her confidence somewhat, by ignoring looking at the towering castle.

Come on now! You'd been in there before with Astron...and now....now was no different! Slowly gulping she looked back to the other and chuckled nervously.

"Really! Don't worry yourself!"

Klondike stopped a few steps short of being within hoof's range of the pony whom he still believed was having a panic attack and gingerly sat on the grass. 'She's certainly moving stiffer than a board, maybe the dress is too tight?' He asked himself in a barely audible voice, and, just as he cleared his throat and opened his mouth to ask again…

"Oh yes! I'm completely fine! Nooooo problem here, sir!"

Klondike's right ear twitched as the words reached it, his left ear still lazily slumped over to the side. 'Pardon me Miss, but that didn't sound too convincing. Maybe some water to…' She wasn't listening, or at least it didn't look like she was. Her head was turned away from him. Noticing this, Klondike looked behind him. 'Nothing odd back here, just Princess Celestia's massive cas…'

"Really! Don't worry yourself!"

Again she wasn't listening. 'Um, okay, I'm honestly not worried. You just seemed somewhat in distress and I figured you…'

"I'M NOT GETTING MY DRESS WET!!"

Klondike's right ear was having a field day as it wrenched his attention away from the nervous wreck pony and towards the commotion at the pond, causing him to turn his head sharply and stand back up again. 'By Celestia, how many panicking ponies are here t… *RIP THUNK*' Klondike's vest flapped open as his small tool kit ripped through the vest's inner pocket and hit the ground with a metallic jingle. As he looked down at his open vest, hanging tie, and small tool kit that now lay on the floor between his legs, he could not help but let out a shallow sigh. 'Curse you old vest, I thought you had more in you.' He addressed his vest in a somewhat dignified, yet defeated voice. 'Why is it always the pockets?!' He questioned the sky above as if hoping Princess Luna would answer him.

Taking his vest off, he looked again at the white dressed panicking pony and then towards the castle behind him again. Raising an eyebrow as his right ear stop twitching for a second and focused on the pony in front of him, he picked up his small took kit off the grass and proceeded to walk over to the opposite side of the mare, where there seemed to be more light and sat down once again, putting her between him and the castle. Taking a small sewing kit out of the front pocket of the vest, he took out a needle and then began to look through the small amount of thread that such kits usually held.

'Mind if we try again?' Not waiting for an answer. 'Hi, my name is Klondike, from Ponyville. His attention suddenly shifted to the needle in his hoof as he found the right thread and began to sew back on the inner pocket of his vest.

Shimmer Star

Glistening, no, glimmering, no... Shimmer Star frowned, trying to find the right word. She stayed like that until she was startled from her thoughts by commotion in the rest of the courtyard. She looked around, her head tilted slightly. Come on, your at the gala! She silently scolded herself, Time to go meet some new ponies!

Shimmer stood up, gazing around for any unoccupied ponies and trying to decide where to go. After sitting for a bit, she guessed she could stand the slippers - for now.

The tall and sweet mare paced quietly over the Courtyard, happy for stepping on a green field even of she was near Celestia's Castle. She was glad that the Pirncess thought about every single pony that visited her palace, satisfying the taste of most of them. At least she was glad by having her thirst of exotic places quenched, and the items she had already seen inside the palace left her wanting more, and to explore more.

The young mare was wearing her seethrough dress, made of the purest silk from a far away land. Stitched to it were several golden threads that formed beautiful patterns, including swirls, dots, and intricate drawings. Near her neck, it had beautiful cotton frills that embelished the rest of her dress even more. Even her bandage matched her dress, and she now had a robin feather on her ear instead of her usual one. Of course that her muzzle veil was still there, covering her in a mysterious way. Yet she smiled beneath it, as if keeping everything to herself.

And once again, while she unawarely paced in th direction of the group of ponies, she sang one of her favorite songs in her crystal clear voice that could hipnotise anypony.

"My heart is pierced by Cupid, I disdain all glittering gold,

There is nothing that can console me but my jolly sailor bold.

Come all you pretty fair maids, whoever you may be

Who love a jolly sailor bold that ploughs the raging sea.

My heart is pierced by Cupid, I disdain all glittering gold,

There is nothing that can console me but my jolly sailor bold.

My heart is pierced by Cupid, I disdain all glittering gold,

There is nothing that can console me but my jolly sailor bold"

Tempest shrugged at Aqua's comments. "It's probably best to assume the Princesses know of most anything that happens in Ponyville. I mean, her personal protégé lives in town and sends her all kinds of reports. And Princess Luna was quite soft-spoken. Nothing like how she was when she first got back and terrorized the summer sun celebration." She shuddered at the memory.

Tempest's ears perked up as she overhead Klondike and the unfamiliar filly. "Oh, over here, there's some other Ponyvillians. Salutations, I'm Tempest Rime, and this is my friend Aqua Drop, we're also from--EEP! Hide me!" She stopped abruptly as she spotted a group of pegasus ponies flying in. She recognized them from Cloudsdale, and did not want to be seen, so she ducked behind Aqua Drop to hide.

The gathering of Ponyvillians getting used to their first gala was quickly joined by a native of Canterlot, one who acted like she belonged here. Rose Madder had never been to the Grand Galloping Gala before, either, but nopony would know that from looking at her. When she received her invitation in the mail, she wasn't too terribly surprised, not for long. Her novel was a tremendous success, after all, and if either of the princesses read it and loved it, well, of course they would invite her to the Gala. Her hopes were momentarily dashed when she found out that all of her acquaintances had received invitations as well, but really, that didn't prove much of anything.

She focused on trying to meet interesting ponies at the party, and as soon as she got to the palace grounds, she knew she wouldn't be disappointed. She saw a colt fixing up his vest himself with his own tool kit, which she wouldn't think was something a pony would bring to a formal event. There was also a poor dear in a white dress who looked like she was expecting a predator to attack her at any moment. But the stunning, unique dresses on the other two fillies talking to each other truly shocked and amazed Rose. She'd received compliments on the aesthetic on her dress, but really, it was nothing new to her. The design came from an obscure Manehattan subculture that just hadn't made it big in Canterlot yet. But here Rose saw a dress that seemed to be literally made of ice and snow, and another one with elegant pearls and a nice aquatic theme. The cart puzzled her at first; she thought that the filly was a paraplegic, but closer inspection revealed no hind legs at all. She had a dolphin tail!

"Bravo, ladies," she said, beaming as she approached the two of them. "I've barely even set foot here and already I don't think I'll see a better dressed pair of ponies at the whole event." She didn't know if the dolphin-tailed filly technically counted as a pony, but she thought it best to be polite and not draw attention to her unusual body. "I assume this is your first time here?"

Shimmer Star

Shimmer Star couldn't help but gaze at the pegasus mare who had recently entered the courtyard as the other pony sang. Shimmer had always been fascinated by music, and this pony had a beautiful voice, so why not watch and listen as she sang? The combination of melody and lyrics interested the young pegasus as well. The lyrics sounded almost jaunty in their topic, but the melody was sad, slow and haunting.

Shimmer stood, walking slowly toward the white pegasus. "Hi." She murmured shyly, scratching a hoof on the ground lightly. "But if you don't mind me asking, what is the song your singing?" Shimmer had to know. It would bother her if she didn't. "It's just, well, so pretty how you sing it!"

He was coming over.

Oh haystacks he was coming over!

Shaking where she half stood, half sat, but kept her rump away from the ground so not to muck up her dress, she watched him and continued to fretfully force her smile to her features as she watched him through her mask. Calm yourself, Muddy, caaaaalm yourself, he was just being nice and he seemed genuinely concerned about your wellbeing.

It will be okay...

When he came a good hoof's away from her, she took one small step back out of pure nervousness...even more so when he mentioned he was from Ponyville after the little situation with his vest pocket. He wasn't too badly set up himself...but that pocket mishap kind of ruined the whole thing.

But he was from PONYVILLE?

Oh horseapples, what if he knew her?

What if he'd been a CLIENT of hers or something!

Her breathing had become frantic yet again and what was supposed to be a reply to his name ended up as a sort of forced breath of air that squeaked on leaving before she cleared her throat. Calm. Caaaaaaaaaalm. You just needed to find a way out of this place, maybe you could hide in the castle or something for an hour or two and then go home! Yeah! That's it!

Clearing her throat she smiled feebley to Klondike.

"Uhhh...uhhm..." Go on, politely excuse yourself. Say you're meeting a friend or SOMETHING! "I got to...uhm...use the little filly's room! Heh!...Bye!"

Not as smooth as she'd have liked but she soon turned on her hooves and made way past a few ponies into the castle, she'd hide in the ballroom or something. Yeah. That's it! A good hour sitting in the ballroom, maybe a drink and then she'd vamoose!

[MudBug Out]

Wind Mist stopped singing for a moment, ending up with a long note and turning to the white filly that had just addressed to her. She smiled once again beneath her veil. "Hello there.", she said in her kind voice, "I was singing about a tale I heard once when I visited the Gallopacus island. A tale about a sad mare, that had her husband sailing in the high seas. But only later on she found out he was a pirate...", she then explained, her voice almost trembling when she told the last part of the sad story. The ponies around seemed to be pretty social, a thing she had to learn to act. She approached the pony she was talking to, looking quite taller than her.

Klondike had become too enthralled in the repair of his vest, as was often the case when he had something to fix, to notice that the panicking mare had excused herself and wondered off. He also did not notice the other two ponies from Ponyville, but only faintly heard a pony introduce herself as Tempest Rime off to his side. Right ear twitching, as if to try and snap him out of his focus on the vest, his gaze slowly migrated towards the pony that stood there, the one with the cart. Not having noticed that the true owner of the name had hidden behind her, he smiled and addressed the pony with the cart and the new pony that had made her way there.

'Hi! Name's Klondike. I recently moved to Ponyville a couple weeks back, so I guess I can say I'm from Ponyville. Where are you from Miss Tempest Rime.' He mistakenly addressed Aqua Drop. 'I notice you are pulling a cart, if you are selling your wares, I'll be more than glad to take a look just as soon as I finish with this.' He raised the vest to show what he was referring to. 'You might be able to show her your wares in the mean time.' As Klondike said this, he pointed to the spot where the panicking pony once stood, still believing her to be there.

"Shhh!" Tempest hissed at the ponies addressing her. "Sorry, I just saw some ponies from Cloudsdale I didn't want to speak to, but I think that singing was enough of a distraction that they didn't notice me. They didn't linger out here, at least." She breathed a sigh of relief. "I should have expected him to be here, of course. The head of the weather factory is an important pony."

She turned and smiled at Rose. "Really? You like it? Oh good, I was afraid it might seem silly, making a dress out of ice and all. I'm afraid I really don't know much about dresses, I just wanted something sort of personal, and I do know frost."

"Oh, and I didn't finish my introduction. Sorry, Mister Klondike. Aqua Drop and I are also from Ponyville, actually, though we are also not natives. Miss Drop moved in just recently, and I've lived there a few years." She blinked at the empty space where Mudbug had been. "Who was that filly?"

Aqua Drop

Noticing a pony come up behind her and start addressing herself and Tempest, Aqua turned around. She had to do a few little back-up turns to get her cart around, which in turn shifted her dress to uncover her tail, pearls adorning it shining in the lamplight.

"Oh, hay." She said, bending her neck around to nip at her dress, shifting it back into position again. She faced the gallant-looking stallion that was talking to Tempest and herself. "Wares? I'm not selling any wares." She looked around herself, trying to figure out what gave the pony such an idea.

"Oh! My cart! No, this cart is to help me get around! It's hard for me to walk on land without it, seeing as how I have fins, not hooves." She said, smiling kindly as she explained.

Klondike was back working on his vest, he was only a few stitches away from fixing the pocket and then he could devote his full attention to the now three ponies near him. Except, he still believed there to be only two, the one with a cart which he still mistakenly believed to be named Tempest Rime, and the one which had made her exit earlier.

'Come on Klondike, you know you are horrible at paying attention when working on fixing things, just hurry up. Celestia only knows how much of the conversation you've missed.' He knew his fault all too well as he mentally coached himself to finish. 'Two stitches… One stitch… HA! Finished!' He congratulated himself in the form of a small nod as his mental countdown came to an end and a grin formed across his face.

With that triumphant grin still on his face, Klondike looked up to the two ponies standing next to him except … 'Three ponies!? Oh, pony feathers! I did it again…' Klondike's right ear now quickly slumped as much as his left ear as he realized he had no idea who the other two ponies were or where the other pony, Mudbug, had gone to. He quickly began to take a mental note of what little he knew as he forced that triumphant grin to remain frozen on his face, trying to hide his panic and embarrassment.

'Okay, the one with the cart is Tempest Rime. The other two I have no idea and, wait… Why is the pony with the icy blue mane and pale green pelt looking at me? Oh, double pony feathers! She asked me something, didn't she? But what did she as…' His thought process suddenly shattered as Aqua Drop's explanation about her cart penetrated all too clearly through his thoughts and caused his curiosity to break through. 'You… have… fins?' He quietly repeated to himself and immediately looked at the cart. A dolphin tail was visible, how did he not notice this before? Well, he knew why, but still, how?

With his new discovery consuming his thoughts, his eyebrows raised in surprise as he stood up and looked at Aqua Drop square in the eyes with a surprised smile on his face. 'By Celestia! Miss Tempest, you're a hypocrite!' His hoof quickly shot up to his mouth and was just as quickly removed to show him biting his lower lip in regret. 'No! Wrong word! You're a umm… a umm, hippo… a hippo… umm… Oh, pony feathers…' He let out in utter defeat as he lowered his gaze onto the grass below and hung his head low.

Rose looked around, trying to catch a look at those Cloudsdale pegasi without catching their eyes. She just nodded when Tempest explained why she wanted to avoid them. "Ugh. Tell me about it. I heard that some of my exes got invites too, and if I never see them again, it'll be too soon.

"Anyway, I don't think your dress is silly at all! You had a really great idea and I'm glad you're showing it off here!" She turned her head to look at her dress. "Don't get me wrong, I love the Gothic Lolita look, but it's not as unique or personal as your dress, or Miss Aqua's for that matter." She walked up beside Aqua's cart, taking a look at how seamlessly the dress merged with the cart.

At the moment, the strange, awkward colt with the tattered vest examined it at the same time, and seemed flustered and embarrassed at assuming the cart was for selling goods. He even got the Ponyville fillies' names mixed up! "Whoa, calm down, calm down!" she told him. "I think you're starting to get a bit mixed up there, Klondike."

• 2 weeks later...

(OOC: I lost track of this thread for a while. First I was waiting to see if anyone else would respond, then I just forgot it was here. Hopefully we can breathe some life back into it.)

Tempest shook her head and gave a disapproving humm. "Mmmn, I'm Tempest, my friend here is Aqua Drop," she corrected. "And the word you're looking for is 'hippocamp,'" she added, irritation creeping into her voice. She didn't much care for the hypocrite comment, either. It was a good thing that Aqua Drop was more understanding about that sort of thing than she was, or she'd probably have gotten a bit snarky. Well, a bit snarkier.

At Rose's comment, however, she brightened considerably. "You think so? That's great, I didn't want to be in anything too similar to anypony else, but I wasn't sure that would go over well." She paused. "Exes, hmm. That would be... awkward, I suppose." Tempest had never had an ex, so she had nothing to base that on. "Umm, I appologize if you introduced yourself already, but I don't think I caught your name..."

(OOC - I wasn't sure myself if this thread was continuing or not. I had been thinking of posting, but since there are a few ponies in it, I didn't want to cut in front of any of them and be rude. Wasn't sure if some kind of posting order had been established. Also, since I realize many ponies are busier than I, I figured I'd patiently wait. Still, if this RP is continuing, I'm more than willing to help breath some life into it :) Especially now since we have like two weeks left of the Gala.)

Aqua Drop

Aqua Drop facehoofed at Klondike getting all mixed up - she'd heard her species' name getting mixed up before, but she'd never been called a 'hypocrite' before! "Whoa, hold your hooves there, buddy. Like Tempest said, I am Aqua Drop, and it's pronounced 'Hippo-camp'. A half pony, half fish thing." She said, nudging Tempest to get her attention. She noticed her friend was a bit irritated at Klondike's mistake.

"Hey, relax Temp. It's a easy mistake, and he's obviously just as nervous as we are." She whispered to her, but Rose's comment to Tempest about her dress cheered her up right away, so Aqua sighed in relief. As nervous and frayed as she was, it was no good letting yourself get worked into a froth over something as silly as a name.

"Why thank you! Yeah, this dress was tailor made for me - it's perpetually damp so my pelt doesn't dry out, and I can stay on land for as long as I want! And yes, I didn't catch your name either."

Klondike's gaze slowly lifted as the ponies in front of him began to clear his misunderstandings; a slight sigh escaping his lips after he cringed a little bit upon detecting some irritation in the now rightfully identified Tempest Rime. He also wished he could have heard what Aqua Drop whispered to Tempest Rime, concluding that perhaps it had something to do with him and perhaps not all that pleasant. Still, he hoped he was wrong as he stared at Aqua Drop and the other pony, concluding that out of the trio of ponies in front of him, these two were the more 'understanding' out of the group.

'Sorry…' He looked at the ponies in front of him. 'I meant no ill by it. I just get too easily engrossed when I start fixing things and next thing I know I'm miles behind on a conversation.' He scratched the ground with his hoof as he did his best to keep his eyes on the ponies in front of him hoping to convey a sense of understanding. 'And thank you, umm, Miss Tempest and Miss Aqua Drop for letting me know it's umm, 'Hippocamp,' I'll make a mental note of it.' Unable to control his curiosity though, his eyes slowly migrated to Aqua Drop's tail and cart as he tried to continue the conversation in hopes of putting the incident behind them. 'You have a very lovely tail, I've always wondered what a Hippocamp's tail looked like. It must not be easy having to go around with a cart like that.'

Suddenly, his ears perked up as he looked at the ponies in front of him with a shocked expression on his face. 'I'm sorry, where are my manners, let me re-introduce myself properly seeing as some of you already seem to know my name.' He looked at Rose with a smile on his face as he said this. 'My name is Klondike and I'm a repair pony from Ponyville. Well, don't have a shop yet but I will some day.' Klondike immediately sat back on his haunches and extended his hooves in front of him in a gesture to shake both ponies' hoofs.

'Where are you ponies from?... Or did I already ask that? And I don't think I caught your name either… either?' He looked at the trio of ponies in front of him but focused on Rose as he said that last part.

A smile crossed Rose's face as all three of the other ponies asked her name at practically the same time. "Me?" she asked them. "My name's Rose Madder, and I'm from Canterlot. So you three are from Ponyville? I've never been myself, but my brother recently moved there, and he seems to like it well enough. I don't suppose any of you have met him? His name's Inkwell, he wears glasses, has a beige coat and black hair, likes to draw?"

She paid the most attention to Klondike then, watching him try to make up for his earlier, absent-minded comments. Her analysis of his personality began, and she'd try and see how it played out. She saw a rustic pony who wasn't used to socializing, who seemed more interested in tinkering with mechanical things than talking to others.

Then she took another look at Tempest and tried to piece her together, too. Tempest seemed like a prim and proper pony who liked to have everything in order and keep herself composed. And Aqua, well, Aqua was a bit harder to read. She seemed perky and peppy and not at all self-conscious of her status as an entirely different species with a handicap. They all had a nice contrast to their personalities and Rose felt a little sorry that she couldn't spend the whole gala getting to know them. She did have other ponies to meet here, including her brother.