Friendship Is Magic Issue #2 Thread

It was requested by some users that we do threads for each issue of the official comics series to avoid issue spoilers being revealed in the original thread for those who haven't read the issue yet. So in the spirit of that idea here is the thread for issue #2. This thread of course will contain discussion and images from the comic and therefore spoilers.

So let's here it, what do you hope to see in issue two, what do you think of it, discuss and share! :)

Derpy charges one muffin per issue.

:razz:

1.JPG

If it's publicly released, then it's fine.

Anywho, it might be released late, but you can find it on nook. My thoughts:

The comedy is not as good as the first one, but I think that's because so much more happens. There are two action scenes- I use that term as loosely as possible- but the big conflict is introduced in between them and extends past this issue. I can't compare too much as I've only read it once, so I'll give you a better review later.

Isn't it a bad idea to post scans of the comic on the site? <_<

I was referring to publicly released material you would fine on Equestria Daily or the comic's publisher site, etc. Just to clarify.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

i loved #2. If you're a fan of the adventure episodes of MLPFiM, like Feeling Pinkie Keen, Dog and Pony Show, Dragon Quest, and Friendship is Magic Part 2 (the episode) then you'll love this issue, and you'll continue to love this story.

Best of all, it constantly gives more shipping fuel for

Rarijack

I liked this issue as well. It just couldn't equal Issue #1, but that was probably because the first issue had the good luck of being set in Ponyville. I

also felt the evil scheme was a bit too reminiscent of what a certain show-villain accomplished before, but I give it a pass due to the different way this plan was accomplished.

Overall, I give this issue a 4.5 out of 5. Oh, did you check out the map at the back, Brian? :D

My issue arrived in the mail today.

Maybe not as good as the first, but it's part two in a four part story, which makes it neither the setup, the buildup to the climax or the climax/resolution itself. It was just about the journey and about planting seeds of conflict. In that capacity, I think it was entirely successful.

Full thoughts, containing spoilers:

I read this comic simultaneously on two levels: one, as a fan of these characters interested in the story unfolding; and two, as a member of the Canterlot.com Lore Builder team observing the "canon" being greatly expanded before my eyes.

From the first perspective, this issue gave me a lot. I adore how Chrysalis is portrayed here. She's cute and kinda snarky while still being all the right kinds of evil. They cannot cut away to her being tortured by CMC silliness enough as far as I'm concerned. She's not the only one who has great characterization here either; Katie Cook is pretty on point with all of the Mane six and their all further highlighted by the still gorgeous, super expressive art Andy Price is offering up still. The humor is still there and if maybe not as laugh out loud as the first definitely had me smiling the whole time. I like seeing them encounter new big, imposing creatures like the cave troll and these awesome giant tarantulas with like eyepatches and stuff. It makes the journey more fun. I also like the idea of having them be driven apart and forced to pair off as they did. I'm just a little dejected that none of my go to ships were represented in the pairs. I'm very eager to see how things proceed for all three pairs.

From the lore perspective, there's perhaps even more to get excited for. We have two new types of monsters for ponies to run into on adventures, both of which were pretty cool. More importantly we also have whole new locations, most notably this Forest of Leota which evidently separates Equestria from the Changeling Kingdom. It appears to be a second Everfree type forest, which to me is a very exciting idea. The idea that Everfree is not unique just makes the world even more deceptively dangerous. It also appears to be quite sprawling, getting it's own map on the last page of the issue (which is likewise exciting). Also gotta say that the exterior shot of the abandoned Diamond Dog mine got me more interested in composing Diamond Dog related lore than ever before. That's actually a pretty cool location, and I love how it plays some more off the Bowie reference.

Of course, incorporating new lore is a difficult process and everything has to be considered from many angles, so we'll have to see what from the comic actually makes it into the game. Still, this now has me quite excited to see just how this comic will proceed to expand on the Equestria we know and give us increasingly more to work with. I'm almost as excited for that as I am to see what happens next in the story. ;)

At least three of us, would get the comic on same place, I got mine today on my mailbox....

Ugly car additions ahead, Spoilers...

Issue #2 blows #1 out the water. due to more content and stuff happening...

Brony troll, AdorableShy and Optimus Prime.

Pinkie pie being extra Pinkie Pie...

George!

Spider Gangsters

I'm a Toy Story reference, Howdy Howdy Howdy!

Changeling love their fun.

Pony skulls are eerily accurate (and Pinkie, you're creepy)

Got my 2nd issues.

Quick question... is the red/rainbow IDW on the cover #D on Issue 1 normal? ...is there a reason for that?

post-374-0-56578700-1357932965_thumb.jpg

The rainbow logo, from what I understand, signifies that the issue is from the second printing.

ALL THE DAVID BOWIE REFERENCES.

I counted 6 obvious panels worth, and a few that could be interpreted as such. Basically, any time you see something written on a cave wall that's not onomatopoeia or directions it's lyrics from either Diamond Dogs or Golden Years.

Edit: oops, they messed up. lyrics from Cat People in there too. So 7 panels.

• Like 5

Wonderfu! Just picked it up!

Favorite moments:

*Rarity torn up about Jim calling one of her ponies "George"

*The big spiders mostly all have wonderful hats! Well not all...until the one takes Applejack's : )

*Ziggy Stardust, et al

Other Comments:

*It seems that they should be ready for changeling interference

*Why didn't they confront the changelings? They all just moped away? When have we ever seen something said against Rainbow without her confronting the accuser?

*Why didn't getting past the spiders together diffuse the problems enough for them to sort it out? Especially since Fluttershy made the attempt at reconciliation. Remember how Rarity responded to "new Fluttershy?" Why was she so bent out of shape this time?

*What is Chrysalis' plan? If she feeds on love, then what does she get out of causing hate?

Pony skulls are eerily accurate (and Pinkie, you're creepy)

Indeed...but where did she get the wig? : )

Edited by weesh

Wonderfu! Just picked it up!

Favorite moments:

*Rarity torn up about Jim calling one of her ponies "George"

*The big spiders mostly all have wonderful hats! Well not all...until the one takes Applejack's : )

*Ziggy Stardust, et al

Other Comments:

*It seems that they should be ready for changeling interference

*Why didn't they confront the changelings? They all just moped away? When have we ever seen something said against Rainbow without her confronting the accuser?

*Why didn't getting past the spiders together diffuse the problems enough for them to sort it out? Especially since Fluttershy made the attempt at reconciliation. Remember how Rarity responded to "new Fluttershy?" Why was she so bent out of shape this time?

*What is Chrysalis' plan? If she feeds on love, then what does she get out of causing hate?

In a preview image for #3, the Queen says she will put them through some trials so when they come together the emotions will be at their zenith...then she will drain Twilight Sparkle. It seems like this is set to coincide with the passing of the comet, when powers will be enhanced anyway.

In a preview image for #3, the Queen says she will put them through some trials so when they come together the emotions will be at their zenith...then she will drain Twilight Sparkle. It seems like this is set to coincide with the passing of the comet, when powers will be enhanced anyway.

I didn't read that, as I noticed it was a issue three spoiler.

But why are we using spoiler tags for issue two stuff in this thread?

I'm going to go back and unspoiler mine.

Pinkie keeps wigs hidden throughout Equestria incase of wig emergencies..And wow, Spiders have their own version of cutie marks... :oops:

And did anyone notice "The Old Mansion" on the map? Looked a bit like Disneyland's version of the "Haunted Mansion", and the artist, Andy Price has done a very MLP/Haunted Mansion crossover pics...Like...

mylittleponyhauntedmans.jpg

and

mylittleponyhauntedmans.jpg

• Like 1

I don't think they're following the free Walmart map. I like this one. It really shows off their love for the Haunted Mansion. We had (Madame) Leota's forest (She's the Gyspy whose head is in the glass ball) and when have Gracey's Swamp. Gracey owns the mansion. I do hope we have a crossover soon. :-o

I think they are following the official map actually, it's just that they went off of the maps borders. On the first page of the issue, it says they went past the Macintosh Hills, which you'll notice are along the southern edge of the Official map. The map in the issue also includes the San Palomino Desert at the top corner, and that can be found extending off in the southwest corner of the official map.

The amount of references this comic has is staggering. And I love it! I cracked up with the troll calling one of the dolls George. If they had continued the line from looney toons I'd probably have died. And all the Bowie references all of them. Just... I was skeptical. If it continues like this, even if the story isn't perfect, I'll enjoy the series.