This is the official thread for information and chatting about the eighth episode of season 3 - "Apple Family Reunion"! Finally, finally we get another Applejack episode, please no pony steal the spotlight for her, pretty please? :/The episode airs at (9:30am Central/10:30am Eastern on December 22nd).

This thread will not be locked and thus commenting is open as soon as you see this; remember though, there are spoilers in the comments section so read at your own risk if you haven't seen the episode! :smug:

Best pony from best family, and yes I am biased!

:smug:

tumblr_m79vvoegCP1qjhek6o1_1280.jpg

While I do agree with you on the 'best pony' part, I believe Rarity has the best family. it's much smaller, but having the pony version of Tom Selleck/Magnum P.I. as your father is pretty hard to beat. And Sweetie Belle, while not the best kid pony, is the cutest...

Where did the image of Big Mac come from? Don't think I've ever seen him that happy before...

I just saw the episode. And its a good one.

HEAVY SPOILER:

I'm 99% sure Applejack's parents were in this episode.

Only click this spoiler if you saw the episode and can't find her parents

[colour=#008000]"We got the whole family together this time around. Who knows if they'll all be able to make the next one?"[/colour] ~Granny Smith

fdva.png

ufds.png

Again, this show never ceases to amaze me. What a brilliant way of introducing and answering the 'parents' question while making it subtle so that younger generations aren't upset by it. It still give me feels. If we can confirm that the animation and story-boarders threw this in with that intention, then Applejack's parents being deceased will be canon.

Here are the lyrics to the song. I don't think I made any mistakes transcribing it.

[colour=#ff8c00]Weehoo!

Raise this barn

Raise this barn

One, two, three, four

Together we can raise this barn

One, two, three, four

Up up up, go the beams

Hammer those joints, work in teams

Turn around quick by the right elbow

Grab a new partner here we go[/colour]

[colour=#800080]Yeah![/colour]

[colour=#ff8c00]Come on Apple Family, let's get to it! Woohoo!

Raise this barn

Raise this barn

One, two, three, four

One, two, three, four

Finish the frame, recycling wood

Workin' hard you're doin' good

Turn around quick on the right elbow

Grab your partner here we go[/colour]

[colour=#ff8c00]Raise this barn

Raise this barn

One, two, three, four

One, two, three, four

Slats of wood come off the ground

Hold them up and nail 'em down

Turn around quick by the left elbow

[colour=#ff8c00]Come on Apples! Get 'er done![/colour]

[colour=#ff0033]Look at us, we're family[/colour]

[colour=#ff8c00]Workin' together thankfully[/colour]

[colour=#ff0000]The Apples we are proud to say[/colour]

[colour=#663300]Stick together the pony way[/colour]

[colour=#ff8c00]Bow to your partner, circle right

get down if you're scared of heights

Foward back and twirl around

The barn's gonna be the best in town[/colour]

[colour=#ff8c00]Yeehaw! Thata girl![/colour]

[colour=#ff0033]Alright! Let's get to it![/colour]

[colour=#800080]Raise this barn

Raise this barn

One, two, three, four

One, two, three, four[/colour]

[colour=#ff8c00]Take your brushes young and old

Together paint it bright and bold

Turn around quick by the left elbow

[colour=#800080]We raised this barn

We raised this barn

Yes we did

Together we sure raised this barn

Yes we did

Being together counts the most

We all came here from coast to coast

All we need to strive to be

Is part of the Apple family!

[/colour]

• Like 1

"Seriously?" "Yes seriously."

Lol Wilhelm scream

Ahahaha the fruit bats! Oh creators, always so cleber.

Applejack, I don't think that red paint is good for your soil.

Oh look, Fiddlesticks! (aka western Octavia)

Bahaha, at first I thought Applejack was taking a bath outside.

W-w-What?! A friendship letter?! Oh, they're still doing those?

[colour=#000000]Initial thoughts on Apple Family Reunion:[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Decent episode, while lacking laughs or adventure aspects it was overall a feel good episode.[/colour]

[colour=#000000]I did like the song, very country yes but catchy.[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Also: Fruit Bats[/colour]

Many things we've learned in this episode:

1. AJ's parents HAVE passed away. Kudos to the writers to bringing this point to bear with great subtly. Perhaps AJ's parents ARE the ponies in that 'Ponyville Gothic' painting on the wall.

2. Hayseed Turniptruck is an apple. (Who'da thunk it?) Hmmmm. Could this mean that MY Hay Family (Haymaker, Hayseed, Haywire) could be DISTANT Apple cousins?

3. Octavia and 'Fiddlesticks' are NOT the same pony! IN YOUR FACE, STEEL EAGLE! LOL j/k But I was RIGHT about this fact all along! Not only is Fiddlesticks a different pony, she's an APPLE too!

4. A new barn CAN be raised in one day! (Wait, didn't they already have a barn raising in "Too Many Pinkie Pies?")

5. AppleJack CAN sing! She can even sing LEAD in a FiM song! YES!!!

6. The second 'Apple Family Reunion' photo Granny Smith turned to in the Album PROVES that Uncle Apple Strudel IS Granny's younger brother! YES!!!

By far, the BEST episode of the year, just ask Granny Smith!!!

:D:D:D

• Like 1

Fantastic episode. The season only keeps getting better and better. It's a shame it's well half over. The song at the end didn't really grab me, but I think it could get more addictive with repeated listens. It's got the beat and rhythm for some quality remixing by the pony music community, so we'll have to see what they come up with!

I love the call back and continuity with Babs. There were lots of little precious tearjerker moments. I'm sure the Canterlot Apple family was all over this episode. The shooting stars were poignant, but at least explained why we didn't see any AJ parents. It's kind of frustrating because we probably won't really find out what happened to them.

A nicely paced and great episode all around. Bravo!

• Like 1

I loved this episode. Up there with the best of the season, and a great showcase of Applejack. It's like they were responding to the criticism of her being a "background pony" and not being the star in her own episodes by having the episode hardly include the other mane six at all. While Granny Smith and Apple Bloom had big parts too, the focus was squarely on AJ the whole time. It was very refreshing to have an episode like that.

Song was good, and just hearing AJ lead a song was well worth the wait. Great to see all the new and familiar faces in the crowd.

Fruit Bats, huh? Those were kinda cool, though probably not the kind of creature that will get a lot of attention.

The thing with AJ's parents... yeah, that was clever, and in my eyes leaves little doubt. Our writers are smart.

Some cool new Apple designs in the crowd. Nothing that just resonated with me perfectly to the point where I got app ideas, but it's at least possible I might consider something here. We'll see.

And speaking of background ponies that resonate with me, saw Cloudchaser in the group shot at the start of the song. It's great to see the animators stuffing her in more episodes. :)

• Like 2

Too bad about AJ's parents... it would have been nice to see them alive and well. Other than that, great episode! I really enjoyed having Babs Seed show up; I really thought she'd be one of those "very special episode" guest characters that get shipped away forever after making their only appearance. And yes its canon: Babs is finding CMC recruits..... Manehatten oughta beware! :D

Always nice to see another Apple Bloom and Granny Smith episode.

Episode was okay. Had some cute and funny moments. Song was the blandest of the bland. Nice to see Braeburn back, even if he didn't get to speak.

Re: The family-

tumblr_mffwpnOCTU1ro9t2lo1_1280.png

Bon Bon, Carrot Top, Cloudchaser (or is that Flitter?), Lucky, Linky, Greenhooves, couple of music ponies...

The Apple Family is like the borg. You will be assimilated.

• Like 1

Re: The family-

tumblr_mffwpnOCTU1ro9t2lo1_1280.png

Bon Bon, Carrot Top, Cloudchaser (or is that Flitter?), Lucky, Linky, Greenhooves, couple of music ponies...

The Apple Family is like the borg. You will be assimilated.

Woah...... two of the adult mares don't have their cutie marks! :o

Wait one second! I didn't even take notice, but the way the colt asked little AJ who she was, could that mean she's adopted?

Nah. It just means he had never seen her before. These are probably family members who haven't seen each other since the last reunion...