Dancing With Myself

She babbled on for a few more moments before she realized she'd gotten into lecture mode, and had actually begun telling Luna about the recent history as she'd remembered it before she remembered that the Princess had other guests to greet. "Oh, I'm so sorry, Princess! I would be so delighted to talk to you more when you have the time. And how rude of me! I'm Cheerilee, and I'm so very honored and pleased to meet you! I'll let you get back to your other guests, it would be terrible of me to try to monopolize you all night!" she'd noticed the Princess's wandering gaze, and blushed at her forwardness. "We would be delighted to have you in Ponyvile."

With that, she gave Princess Luna another curtsey and moved off to make room for the other guests who were greeting her. As she went, she couldn't help but smile. Wow, an actual meeting with the Princess of the Moon! All sorts of ideas and lesson plans were racing through her mind now, and she was eager to see when Luna would come down to visit all of her little ponies in Ponyville. She replayed the conversation back in her mind, over and over to commit it to memory, and thinking about what she could have done differently.

Skye, meanwhile, had slowly given himself over to the music of the dance hall, and was stepping lightly from hoof to hoof, even momentarily taking a dance with a young mare who had found herself in his proximity. Though her well-manicured eyebrows shot to the roof upon noticing what she was dancing with, she hadn't spoken a word, and didn't even miss a hoof-step as they went through a light-spirited whirl. Trading partners again, this time the peryton bowed to a male partner and went into an impromptu coup de tour before trading off again. This time, he was with a little filly that seemed to be all left hooves, but thankfully for his smaller step, managed to miss getting trod upon. It seemed like everyone had come to the Gala this year!

Though his dances took him both nearer and farther from Princess Luna, he was too caught up in the dance at the time to realize how close he'd come to her. Though the form of the dance was free enough that nearly anypony could join in, and some did, there were still a number of ponies that preferred to observe from the sidelines while tapping their hooves in time to the music. But he was certainly enjoying himself! Having gotten over the initial hesitation of being out in public, this was certainly quite a good time. If a bit formal for him, that is.

hi hi

Ginger Mint was not known for being particularly intrepid, she never much cared for being put on the spot, and she didn't think anypony had ever called her the life of the party; but one thing she did have have was a keen eye and she was certain then that something was bothering the Princess. While Celestia's smile had overflown with the warmth of a well tended hearth on a chilly night, to Ginger Mint's eye, Luna's smile seemed to flicker like kindling huddled against the wind, threatening to extinguish with every gust while onlookers hold their breath.

As Cheerilee walked past, Ginger Mint considered backing out. She could probably still go and join the dance without anypony being the wiser, but this was the Grand Galloping Gala and she might never get another chance. Taking a deep breath, she puffed herself up and cautiously stepped towards the Princess then took a deep bow. There had been so many questions on her mind just a moment earlier, but now that she was here, there was only one thing she could think of.

"Good evening Princess, thank you for hosting me, I've been enjoying myself..." then, looking up again, "How are you feeling?"

Luna barely had time to say farewell before the purple pony seemed to rush off. Even though Luna was eager to greet Skye, she wasn't too keen on attempting to maneuver around the dance floor. Plus, there was a light yellow pony who seemed to want her attention for the moment. Other ponies came first before her personal wishes, after all. Plus, Skye looked like he was having a marvelous time, and Luna certainly didn't want to interrupt him. They'd have their chance to meet at the Gala. The night was still young.

Luna ducked her head in greeting as the next Earth pony approached her. "I am very well, thank you kindly." she replied. "How are you enjoying the Gala?"

Luna remembered that Celestia still had no idea she was here. She'd have to make a point to go and see her in the Main Hall soon. Just as soon as she was finished here.

The peryton took one last whirl with the mare of the moment in his current dance before the song ended with graceful bows from everyone to their partner. His chest heaved from the exertion of the moment before he looked up at the large crowd. He'd never expected he'd be here in the middle of such a throng of ponies! But from the new vantage point of all the ponies and their lowered heads, he managed to catch a glimpse of Luna from across the room. His heart raced a moment as he realized the thrill that she'd come to the Gala. Maybe she was taking the advice she'd been given under consideration! In any even, he truly wanted to tell her how glad he was she'd come to the party. But then just as everypony straightened up, he lost sight of her yet again. But at least he had a general idea of her direction even as he vanished amidst the sea of ponies.

Skye tried to extract himself from the dance floor, passing by and complementing the dress of a purple-colored mare who'd come from the opposite direction as he made his way to where he'd seen Luna last. He was curious to why she hadn't come down to the dance floor and perhaps join him...he thought briefly how enjoyable it would have been to cut a rug with the Princess of the Moon, but his next thoughts reined him in. "Woah, fella, too much of that and she might start to think you're smitten with her." he proceeded in Luna's direction, lifting his head a bit more respectfully and mindfully of his shorter status than even many of the smaller ponies in the Gala.

Meanwhile Cheerilee proceeded towards the band, she wanted to dance tonight if it was the last thing she did! She hadn't had a partner in so many years, and she was itching to try out some of her old steps to see if she still had it in her. She'd been studying with a dance instructor in Ponyville, but those could only go so far. Her heart raced as she imagined herself moving amongst the ponies in the currently popular dances, and the nervousness that went with it. But she cheerfully smiled as others looked her way, including a curious...wait, was that a Peryton? And so polite, she blushed as he complimented her on her outfit before he was gone, even as she stared after him. What manner of creatures were she also to find here in Canterlot? She wondered if he lived here! She'd only read about them in history books. Would wonders never cease!

But then her attentions were whisked away by a gentleman pony who'd called quietly to her, and a smile rose to Cheerilee's lips as she accepted his offer to dance to the next song. It wasn't long before the band struck up into another tune, and this one she was familiar with after having it heard played by the Travelling Players during an intermission to Poneo and Fillyette. It wasn't long until she was lost to the music and the intricate steps as her hooves clapped on the floor in time to the music with her partner, and soon even Cheerilee was lost to the Gala.

• 2 weeks later...

hi hi

Doubt lingered in the back of Ginger Mint's mind as Luna spoke to her and she knew that, in spite of her best efforts, she was wearing the feeling on her expression. The Princess had been distracted by something, and although she seemed to have collected herself on the surface, Ginger Mint couldn't help but feel there was a strong current somewhere deep underneath carrying her attention elsewhere. Her nagging instinct continued telling her to step back and leave it be, that she'd gone far enough, but she'd already made up her mind otherwise.

"I'm glad to hear it. The Gala is certainly living up to its reputation and everything has definitely been grand."

This was it: break the ice or founder on it. She wished her brother was there with her -he'd always been the brave one- but the thought did give her an idea. Hearing a new story always took her mind off of her worries... Ginger Mint took another step forward so she could use a softer tone of voice.

"I have to be honest though I wish I had come with a friend, I don't really know anypony here. It sort of reminds me of the first time I moved away from home." She closed her eyes, trying to remember the details, only opening them again when she caught her stride. "Everything was wonderful and new, kind of like tonight, but I was difficult finding my footing if you catch my meaning. Then, one day I was eating lunch at that little café down the road when -out of the blue- my brother shows up with his team. At first I thought I was seeing things, but I think he was even more surprised than I was when he saw me. I'd figured he came to visit, but it turned out didn't know I'd left home, he's always traveling far and wide you see...

..but anyway, he introduced me to his friends, and it turned out that one of his crew had family here, and they had been good friends with the family of one of my friends from school, if that makes sense. I don't think it is as far removed as it sounds anyway, I mean, they had even heard a couple of stories about me through the grapevine.

My brother and his crew had originally planned on just making a brief pit stop, instead we visited the folks, ate dinner and spent that evening watching a concert in the park; and sitting there under the stars with smiling faces all around, I didn't feel so out of place. Er... I guess in a nutshell, well, I hope I'm not missing out on something because nopony told me about it. I mean, at a party this big, there has to be more going on than any one pony can see, right?"

Ginger Mint unconsciously took a step backwards when she finished, waiting for a response, she figured she must have sounded like a rambling filly.

Luna smiled, listening patiently to the story the light yellow pony told. It was only polite, after all. Plus, it was good for her to learn about her subjects. After all, she had a lot to catch up on. Talking and listening to others was an excellent way to get a better feel for the culture and world around her, which had changed so much in her absence.

'Well, there is a lot to do at a big event such as the Gala. There's the garden, the Main Hall where Princess Celestia is, the courtyard...' she gestured with a hoof at each place she mentioned. 'And probably a lot of other places I haven't been yet. This is, uh... my first Gala as well.'

hi hi

Ginger Mint wasn't sure if there was any kind of reaction that would have surprised her, but the notion that Luna had never been to the Gala before was something that she never would have imagined. It certainly wasn't a big revelation, nothing terribly personal, but it was honest, and Ginger Mint felt as if she'd just found a missing puzzle piece. Just a moment ago Luna seemed like she'd been plucked out of a tall tale, but now she seemed real. Ginger Mint smiled, small but genuine this time.

"Oh... I guess I thought that there had always been a Gala." Ginger Mint said with a sheepish chuckle, "Well, there's a first time for everything isn't there?"

Ginger Mint felt like she'd made a good impression, a decent impression, probably; but as thrilling as it was, she didn't want to press her luck. Princess Luna's attention still seemed to be pulling her elsewhere.

"Princess Luna, it was a pleasure meeting you." Ginger Mint made a polite bow and stepped to the side, giving the Princess an opportunity to dismiss her, "Oh! I almost forgot, my name is Ginger Mint, and, um... yes, with all the wonderful things to see and do, I hope you find what you're looking for tonight."

'Well, I'm not sure how long the Gala's been around, but...' she lightly cleared her throat. '...I haven't really been around to go to many of them.'

The pony moved out of Luna's line of sight, allowing her to glimpse the dance floor again. She attempted to keep her eyes on the other pony, however, as she introduced herself...something Luna would have expected at the beginning of the conversation. But it was the Gala, and lots of ponies were rather nervousâ€â€Âincluding herself, a bit.

Her eyes glanced over to the blue form that was approaching, but her eyes quickly moved back to the pony at hoof. Luna nodded, smiling at the other. 'And you as well. I hope that you enjoy the rest of the Gala.'

hi hi

With a slight nod, Ginger Mint smiled and trotted off towards the dance floor. She'd never even met the Mayor of Fillydelphia before, and in one night she'd met not one, but two royal princesses. Her friends back home... well, she figured that they probably would believe her... but it was almost as unbelievable as when she got the invitation in the first place. She didn't know if she'd ever be invited again, in fact, she wasn't even sure why she'd been invited this year, so she was determined to make the most of it.

Now if only she could find somepony to dance with. That pony who looked kind of like a tree seemed like she could have used a friend, but as busy as this place was now, she wasn't sure if she'd be able to find anypony amidst the crowd, let alone somepony she'd never really met before.

Skye slowly edged up around the dancing ponies, doing his best to avoid trodding on tail or train. There were so many well-dressed ponies about, that he had absolutely no idea how he'd managed to find his way at all! But there, at the front of a slight rise near the doors into the next room, was Luna. He felt he couldn't have made his appearance and only said hello to Celestia without seeing Luna again...after all, they'd both practically saved each other's lives. He felt obligated to at least tell her how wonderful she looked tonight. He was glad to see her amidst the other ponies, the social interaction would definitely do her some good, there was no doubt about it. Though by hear appearance, she did seem somewhat nervous...likely as nervous as he was, being around this many unfamiliar ponies. But at least most of them knew who she was. He'd barely managed to pass off being a costume!

As he finally drew close, he smiled to Ginger Mint, and dipped his head as she passed before he approached the Princess. "Princess Luna..." he breathed, still a little out of breath from his exertion on the dance floor, then gave her a broad smile with a flick of his ears. "You look lovely tonight. How good it is to see you here. I'd ask you to dance, but I'm afraid I might need a moment, I feel like I just ran the whole running of the leaves all by my lonesome." he dipped down on one knee in a formal bow as the others had done before him, feeling like the perfect occasion to at least observe the less familiar but no less important pony customs. "I've already found Princess Celestia and paid my respect, but I'm ever your humble servant tonight, if you happened to know where I could find something to drink?"

Luna tried to contain a smile as she watched Skye approach. She blushed at him seeing her in such formal attire. She hadn't expected him to be here at all...Celestia must have invited him.

She bowed her head in response to his bow. She hadn't really been able to see him dance, being occupied with others. Luna smiled, breathing a light sigh of relief to be in the company of someone she actually knew.

"Oh, you've been to see my sister already?" Luna inquired. "I must admit I haven't had that pleasure tonight yet. I wanted to greet you first, though, since I saw you. I didn't even know you were coming Skye! It's really a pleasant surprise." she smiled at him. "I think the bar is over there though..." she gestured across the Ballroom with a hoof. "I didn't take you to be a drinker Skye."

Cheerilee twirled with a partner pony, her skirts swirling along the highly polished surface of the dance floor. Too soon she'd have to return to Ponyville and her little ponies, but for the night, she felt like dancing! Her hooves tinkled on the floor as she moved with him, her heart racing. A flush came to Cheerilee's cheeks, having not felt like this since...well, since ever! Even back when she was just a filly herself, those days long behind. She'd gone to clubs with her filly friends and danced away, but it was a different kind of dance then. This was now and it was much more elegant. She'd felt like a little filly back then. Tonight, she was dangerously elegant, and it was a heady feeling she wasn't ready at all to give up! Yet when the dance ended, perhaps a little sadly, Cheerilee gave her partner a curtsey and left the floor to see about getting something cool the hot-blooded thrill that she'd suddenly found herself with. Tonight was truly the best night ever!

Skye dipped his head, and smiled, noticing the darkening at Luna's cheeks, though he felt mentioning it might be a bit much. "I met her shortly after arriving, she was in the entrance hall greeting her other subjects. I felt that it would have been rude to have simply shown up without letting her know her invitation did eventually find me. I'm sure she's still there if you were looking for her." his ears pinkened at her enthusiasm. "I wouldn't have missed this for the world, though I might have had she not asked me to come. Or had you, Princess. I have to admit, you ponies really do know how to throw a party."

He glanced in the direction she indicated, almost back the way he had come. "So silly of me, wanting to come see you before I went off to have anything to drink, what was I thinking?" he gave her a sly wink in return. "I've never considered myself a heavy drinker, though I've occasionally been known to get a little bit tipsy, especially with some of those deceptively strong fruity drinks you ponies make." he paused for a moment, mulling the thought. "Would you be interested in having a drink with me? When you've been to see your sister, that is. I'd be delighted."

Luna blushed again at Skye's wink, ducking her head slightly. She felt he might've been a bit forward, but they were friends, and this was a special occasion. 'Well, the Gala is all Celestia's doing. It has been for...well, however long it's been going on.'

She was taken aback at his request, however. 'Oh Iâ€â€ÂI don't know Skye. I mean, that's not really proper, don't you think? Maybe I'll just... meet you there. I don't know if I'llâ€â€Â' she cleared her throat, 'â€â€Âhave anything to drink. Would that be alright?"

The deer's face broadened in a smile, Luna was at her cutest when she was shy and bashful, but he'd never tell her that out loud. Privately, he'd enjoy every minute of it, though. "I've seen the fireworks from the Wood for many years, but this is the first time I'd had an invitation. I'd never realized there was a whole road all the way up here before, but now that I know it's here, maybe I might drop by from time to time to pay my respects."

He dipped his head in greetings to another pony as she passed by, and stepped out of the way as a stallion paused by to pay his respects. "Oh, I wouldn't worry about it as being a matter of proper or not. I mean, surely even Princess Celestia enjoys something a little stronger than fruit juice from time to time. I'm sure she does, anyway. And even if you didn't, the bar seems to be serving non-alcoholic drinks. Which is a good thing, judging from the number of little ponies I've seen scampering about..." he indicated one such filly as she dashed through the dance hall on her way elsewhere. "But I'd be happy to meet you there, whether you have one or not, the pleasure of your company is always high on my list." he dropped to a low bow in front of the Princess, then looked up to her with a smile. "Until I see you there, your Highness?"

She watched the smile light up Skye's face, and even the sides of her mouth began to creep up in a tell-tale sign of enjoyment. 'They must be quite brilliant then.' Luna commented on the fireworks. 'I can't say that I've ever seen them.'

'Well, at such a formal event, a Princess must be...careful, lest the subjects of Canterlot get ideas that it's rulers aren't doing a proper job. But uh...but I will join you, as soon as I can. There are bound to be a lot of ponies in the Main Hall, what with Celestia being there and all. It might take awhile for her to excuse herself just to see me. I mean, we see each other all the time, after all. And she doesn't exactly know I'm at the Gala.' Luna cleared her throat.

The deer stood back up and dipped his head. "Then I'm sure she will be just as glad to know you decided to come, just as I am. I'll see you shortly, then, Princess. And I'm sure the bartender will have something to your liking. Afterwards, we'll see what happens. Until then!" he turned, with a bit of a prance and headed off towards the bar. It was a pretty prominent thing, drinks from all across Equestria must have been imported for just such occasions. A bright, colorful wall of bottles lined the area behind the bar, and various glasses of different concoctions dotted the shiny laquered surface of the bar itself. He flashed a smile to the bartender as he took a post nearby, turning to look out across the floor at the other pretty dancing ponies as they turned about. This was certainly one big party, and he made a note that he'd have to come again. Well, he certainly would if he was asked to, naturally. But this wouldn't be the end of this!