Avoiding the Dark

WillowDress.jpg

The ballroom, it was the most lit place in the whole palace... or more so in the areas open for the gala. Willow Wisp had been so worried about starling others with her glow that she even arrived as early as she could so she could scope out the brighter spots. As long as she stayed inside where it was well lit she was sure she would be safe.

Honestly she wasn't even sure what she was doing at the Grand Galloping Gala. Fancy parties were never her thing, but if she turned down what could have been a once in a life time offer and her friend back home found out, well, he'd never let her live it down. So she resolved to go, even getting a dress made for the occasion. It even fit her ghostly appeal, so over all she was happy with it.

However she still felt out of place as she stood against the back wall of the ballroom. Other ponies were dancing, some were talking and a few even seemed to be showing off their outfits. But there she stood, in a corner like some sort of outcast. If only she could find somepony she knew, then she wouldn't have felt so small in the large palace.

Part of her really wanted to go exploring, after all a palace had to have its mysteries. Yet she knew she couldn't just wander wherever she wanted. She always thought about going outside, but that meant being in the dark of night. Even with lanterns and other lighting around, she feared it wouldn't be enough to keep away her glow.

'What am I even doing here?' Wisp said to herself. 'At least I showed up... maybe I should go home before I make a scene by mistake. Not like I have a date or what not to leave behind.'

FizzyBanner.png

Fizzy hummed happily along with the swaying music that filled the air as she trotted merrily into the ballroom. Her frilly, bell-shaped dress seemed to bounce with every step. She was at the Gala! She had a new dress, the scent of flowers and cakes filled the air and everypony seemed to be in good spirits. Fizzy couldn't have been more pleased.

This wasn't Fizzy's first Gala. A rich friend had taken her once back when she was still in school. This was; however, her first time attending the Gala alone. As she entered the large, expansive space and glanced around at the various activity that filled it, she couldn't help but wonder what to do with herself. She had no friend this time to drag her around in order to make proper introductions.

Not content to simply stand in one place, Fizzy decided to patrol the perimeter of the room in order to get a better feel for things. Perhaps she'd ask somepony to dance. That'd be fun! There were so many handsome looking Stallions to choose from too.

Bobbing along the wall she came to a corner that seemed to be inhabited by a black hole. Contrasting against the wall's bright backdrop was a black colored unicorn with a purple cobweb dress. She seemed to be fidgeting and glancing around awkwardly.

'What am I even doing here?' Wisp said to herself. 'At least I showed up... maybe I should go home before I make a scene by mistake. Not like I have a date or what not to leave behind.'

Fizzy overheard the unicorn talking to herself. Not to be dissuaded, she decided to take the opportunity to try and make a new friend and trotted over. "Are you alone too?" She asked cheerfully, her eyes twinkling. "I just got here, and gosh, there's so much going on I just don't know what to do with myself. I've never been to the Gala on my own before."

Willow Wisp was absorbed in her own thoughts that she didn't even see the other coming her way. So when Fizzy spoke to her she looked up a bit confused and then glanced around to make sure that it was in fact her being spoken to.

'Oh, yeah I didn't come with anyone. In fact I kind of got a ticket last minute and by surprise.' She shook her head lightly at that. Really she was more than shocked to find on in her mailbox. She even went to the post office to make sure it hadn't been delivered by mistake.

'I've never actually been to the gala before. These kinds of events aren't really my thing. But if a friend of mine found out I got a ticket and didn't show, well, I'd never hear the end of it.' Glancing out to the dance floor again she just sighed. Not knowing what to do with oneself seemed like a common trend for ponies who came alone.

Holding out her right front hoof she did her best to be friendly. 'I'm Willow Wisp, who are you?'

FizzyBanner.png

'Oh, yeah I didn't come with anyone. In fact I kind of got a ticket last minute and by surprise.'

Fizzy grinned. She felt like it had been her most lucky day ever when an invitation had shown up just for her. "Me too! How exciting! Maybe we have secret admirers." She winked in jest. Fizzy was certain hers had been passed on by a friend who didn't want it this year, but who knows.

'I've never actually been to the gala before. These kinds of events aren't really my thing. But if a friend of mine found out I got a ticket and didn't show, well, I'd never hear the end of it.'

"I've only been her once before. I came with a friend. Golly, she kept me so busy that night I didn't have a chance to explore much." Fizzy chimed thoughtfully. "There's a lot to do and see though!"

'I'm Willow Wisp, who are you?'

Fizzy took Willow Wisp's hoof and shook it. "I'm Fizzy!" She giggled as she spoke her name and then added admiringly. "Your dress sure is pretty. I've never seen one like that before."

Secret admirers? Willow Wisp blinked at that thought. Who would admire her? It wasn't that she had low self esteem or thought she was ugly, but she just didn't think anypony was looking at her from afar. She had a feeling the ticket came from her foalhood friend. He was the type to send her something to make her go out and meet ponies.

"So you've been to a gala before then? Even if you were busy then, at least you know the layout a bit." She glanced around again. The palace was really big, finding the ballroom was a straight shot. But she was sure that if she tried to find other places she would end up going in circles. "I don't even know what to do at these kinds of events. I'm... I'm just trying to stay in the lighted area's though. Even if the garden seems like it would be nice to see."

Wisp blushed lightly at the compliment. She wasn't use to hearing those, then again she never dressed up. "Ah this dress? Yeah I was lucky to get it made. The designer is a real artist. She wanted to capture my... spooky nature and make it glamorous."

Braeburn was genuinely excited; he had never attended that Great galloping Gala before! Of course he, like every pony in Equestria, had heard of it, about the excitement, the glamour, the food, and all the beautiful fillies. Even being told about last year's event by his cousin Applejack, and how it wasn't all the Equestrian tabloids made it up to be, didn't dampen his anticipation. After all, Applejack was attending with all her friends again, so it couldn't be that bad! Plus ... the fillies!

Of course, the best place to see all the gorgeous fillies was in the grand ballroom. Not only was it here that the fillies came to show off how gorgeous they were, displayed in the best lights, but here, too, was the buffet with all its tasty treats! Slowly walking along the buffet table and sampling a little bit of every exotic and hoity-toity appetizer, the amber colored earth pony smiled broadly every time he caught the eye of a passing filly.

He was looking pretty spiffy too, if he said so himself. A shiny black suit coat over a clean white dress shirt, and he's shined up his apple-themed bolo tie right proper. He'd dusted off his nice black dress-Stetson, and his front hooves had his shiny black cowpony boots, only brought out for the fanciest of fancy occasions..

Despite all his playful intentions, though, Braeburn still hadn't hit it off yet with any of the fillies around here. He'd asked a few to dance, tried to strike up conversations with a few more, and yet ... they all seemed to do the same thing. They'd laugh in condescending amusement, make a comment about his 'quaint' accent, and then walk off. It didn't really hurt Braeburn's feelings, just confused him. Still, Braeburn wasn't one to give up easily, no sir, not this Appleoosian! After all, what would his cousins say if he acted like some wallflower?

He looked around the room, munching on some sort of fried bit of fruit and cracker with a strange sauce. He had no idea what it was, but it was tasty enough. He'd eaten a whole tray of them. Time to try again - deliver some good ol' fashion AAAAAAAAPPLEOOSIAN charm, but who should be the next target? That's when he swore he heard a familiar voice, wait, could that be ... nahh, could it? Braeburn looked about and suddenly he spotted her, Willow Wisp. How could he not? Even if they didn't share that crazy adventure with those "spirit lanterns" cacti threatening his beloved home, the black unicorn in her uniquely styled purple dress would still have quickly caught his notice. She had already held an exotic beauty - but now she had an otherworldly radiance that was irresistible

Trotting over to Willow Wisp, he politely took off his shiny black hat and held it against his chest, "Miss Willow! So good t'see y'all heah! Ah wasn't expecting such a pleasant surprise aaaa'tall! Y'all look... absolutely amazin'! Ah've ne'er seen such a sight! Yer pretty as a spring night!" Looking over at the young Turquoise colored unicorn filly standing with her, "And who is yer lovely friend here? " He smiled brightly, "Oh, where are mah manners! Mah name is Braeburn, hailing all the way from APPPPLEOSIA! An' ah'm plumb tickled t'meet y'all, Miss ... ?"

FizzyBanner.png

"Even if you were busy then, at least you know the layout a bit.... I'm just trying to stay in the lighted area's though. Even if the garden seems like it would be nice to see."

"I do, a little bit." Fizzy admitted. "But I didn't get to do much exploring outside. The garden does sound nice. Why don't you want to go out there? Are you afraid of the dark?" It was an air-headed question. Of course a pony dressed in a spiderweb themed dress and talking about being spooky wasn't going to be afraid of the dark.

Fizzy continued the small talk for a few more minutes before the two of them were approached by the handsome and seemingly eccentric gold colored stallion. He seemed to know Willow Wisp as he showered the black unicorn with compliments.

"Oh, where are mah manners! Mah name is Braeburn, hailing all the way from APPPPLEOSIA! An' ah'm plumb tickled t'meet y'all, Miss ... ?"

Fizzy giggled at Braeburn's energy as she lifted a hoof and tried to remember some etiquette. "Fizzy." She offered, finishing his sentence. "It's a pleasure to meet you. . . Gosh. Appleoosa. That's a long way to come for just a party ."

"Afraid of the dark?" Wisp had to laugh at that. "No I'm more afraid of scaring others. I have this... thing... that happens when I'm out in the dark. And I don't want to cause a scene." It wasn't the most descriptive explanation of her "talent" but it was something Willow Wisp was a bit insecure about it.

However her mind was drawn away from that when she heard the familiar voice. Of all the places she never thought she'd see Braeburn at the Gala. It was nice to see a pony she knew since so far she'd been looking at nothing but strangers. However it brought up what Fizzy joked about just before he walked up. Secret admirers. What if... could it have been him that sent her the ticket? Hoping she would be there? No... she shook off that thought. It must have just been a coincidence that he somehow got invited as well. She didn't really notice that her wandering thoughts made her blush though.

And that blush only deepened with his compliments. "Oh Braeburn, I didn't think I'd see you here. And... thank you," she really didn't know what to say. Like a spring night? She could just feel her cheeks burning now and she instantly looked to floor to try and hide it. "You look rather nice yourself. Like a cowpony ready for a night on the town."

She glanced to Fizzy as she spoke up and introduced herself. "Ah yeah, I just met Fizzy. We've just been talking about the gala in general. And how much there is to see."

Braeburn smiled warmly to Willow Wisp and her lovely, energetic companion Fizzy as he placed his Stetson back on his head, "ah thankee kindly, Miss Willow, although Ah'm afraid these Canterlot fillies are not quite ready for the likes of me, it would seem. That's alright though, that night is still young, and Ah have the wonderful privilege of running into you two."

Looking at Fizzy with a characteristic wink, "Well we never had anyone attend the gala from AAAAAPPLEOOSSA before!" He reared up as he declared the name of his town proudly. "Ah reckon' 'cause our town is only a couple years on now." He pondered for a second, looking up, tapping his forehoof on his chin, "Well we only got a couple tickets. One was meant for sheriff Silver Star, but with all the recent banditry we have out in the desert, he felt it would be a bad idea to leave AAAAAPPLEOOSA! Still, we didn't want to insult Miss Celestia, her bein' such a nice filly an' all, so he asked me to go in his stead." Looking over at Willow Wisp, he gave her a flirtatious wink, "Ah guess me being here is a surprise, and we all love surprises, right? Just like finding y'all here is a surprise!"

"Ah'm bewildered th' both of y'all haven't been dancing, two purty fillies like yerselves," Braeburn then frowned thoughtfully, as if considering the reasons why such a travesty could occur, then a huge, open smile spread swiftly across his face, an obvious eureka moment. "Well, ah surely want t' dance with either of y'fine fillies, but that'd leave t' other standin' all her lonesome, an' ah jes can't do that to either of y'all. So why don't we all three of us head out an' hit that dance floor fer a dance or two, an' have us a grand ol' time?"

FizzyBanner.png

"No I'm more afraid of scaring others. I have this... thing... that happens when I'm out in the dark. And I don't want to cause a scene."

Fizzy was immensely curious about what happens to Willow Wisp when she goes out in the dark. Does she turn into a spider? Get all monstery and gross? Fizzy's imagination came up with all sorts of unpleasant things; however, she was polite and asked nothing more of it. It seemed Willow Wisp was self conscious about it.

"Well we never had anyone attend the gala from AAAAAPPLEOOSSA before!" . . .

Fizzy listened intently as Braeburn told how he came upon the ticket and a little about his hometown. "Gosh! Real bandits? That sounds so exciting!"

"Why don't we all three of us head out an' hit that dance floor fer a dance or two, an' have us a grand ol' time?"

Fizzy's smile broke into a wide grin as Braeburn asked them both to dance. It seemed highly unorthodox, but fun nonetheless. Since Fizzy considered 'fun' to be the only reason for even coming to the Gala, she didn't think twice. "Why, I'd love to!" She chimed.

Willow Wisp was glad Fizzy didn't want a further description of her "in the dark" talent. It was just kind of hard to explain and she'd done it many times through out her life and probably would be until she died. So anytime she could avoid the story and the questions that usually followed she did.

However her mind went reeling as Braeburn talked about how he ended up with a ticket. So a couple tickets were sent to Appleloosa... and he got one because the Sheriff couldn't go. But... she hadn't seen any other ponies that seemed like they had come from the settlement out in the desert. So, who got the other tickets sent? Did they just not use them? No, not many ponies would pass up a ticket to gala.

Her thoughts traveled back to the comment of secret admirers. Was it really possible? Could her ticket have come from Braeburn? Surely that was just too far fetched but now she had to wonder. But he did seemed surprised she was even there. Unless it was all an act. Right?

Wisp snapped out of her thoughts when the stallion mentioned dancing. "Oh well, I'm not surprised nopony has asked me to dance. I mean I've just been keeping this corner here company and all." she gave a sheepish smile, sure she probably had been a little dazed looking while she was thinking. "But I guess we could all head out there together. Nopony ever said dancing had to be done in only pairs."

Of course mentally she was little worried. She didn't really know how to dance. But at least with the three of them, it wouldn't be a slow dance like a couple would do. That meant she was less likely to trample someponies' hooves.

"Lead the way, Sir," she added that mostly in jest since the event was formal.

Braeburn chuckled towards Fizzy, hiding his real life worries and concerns over the recent banditry around his beloved Appleoosa; she was clearly excited by the motif of the frontier and the idea of an exciting life with bandits.  He struck a rather dramatic stance, "Welp, Miss. Fizzy, it certainly can be quite an exciting adventure in dealing them, fraught with danger, full of peril, y'all never know where those sneaky varmints are, or what they may do once y'all find them!"

Looking over to Willow Wisp, he gave a reassuring smile, "Whelp, Miss Willow, Ah *am* surprised nopony has asked y'all!  Ah would have been sure some stallion would have worn y'all out by this time!  Their loss!"

Braeburn offered his forehooves to the two beautiful fillies, "shall we?".  As they trotted out to the dance floor Braeburn pondered to himself: He hadn't paid attention to any dancing ponies yet - not that he could see very many. This was a 'dance floor', not a 'standing around floor'! well, maybe once he started, some of these fancy hoity-toity folk would step up and show him how it's done... they had all this fancy food, this fancy music, these fancy decorations, all of which was supposedly better.... they must have some fancy dancing that'll dance a pony's hooves off, right?

He strode out onto the dance floor with a filly on each side, grinning from ear to ear.  He cocked his head to pay attention to the music for a moment.  "Just follow my lead," he said cheerfully, then started dancing, one hoof forward, then another.  This was awful slow music, and so he danced a slow dance, swaying back and forth, lifting up his hooves in a slow, measured fashion, trying to add a little flair to what he personally considered was a rather dull bit of music - but he supposed this was the sort of music these hoity-toity types enjoyed, and so he put on an encouraging smile to the fillies on either side, dancing shoulder-to-shoulder with the both of them.

FizzyBanner.png

Fizzy beamed as Braeburn held out his hooves for the two fillies and she took one. She let the stallion lead the way onto the rather empty dance floor. Such a shame not many were dancing. It made it more fun when everypony was participating. Oh well.

"Just follow my lead,"

Fizzy did just that. Waiting for Braeburn's cues, she starting dancing as he did. It was awkward dancing with three ponies, but that was okay. Fizzy never was the most graceful ballroom dancer. She perfered bouncing to rock and pop music. Thrashing around always seemed more fun then the shuffling and fancy steps these rich ponies seemed to prefer. However; she danced as best she could, and with a spring in her step, she found herself having fun regardless of how odd the three of them may have looked.

Just follow the lead. She could do that right? Wisp was quick to glance around the dance floor once they finally made their way on to it. Braeburn took right to dancing with them, and Fizzy seemed to be doing okay, so she had to do her best not to just trip over her hooves. The music was so slow though and she wasn't even sure how ballroom dancing went.

'Let's see those two over there are kind of stepping like that.' She eyed a couple ponies off to the side as she at first just slowly bobbed to the music. 'And Braeburn and Fizzy are kind of doing something like this...' Watching the steps she did her best to imitate them. Dancing though, at least ballroom dancing was not going to be one of the Unicorn's talents.

At first things seemed to be going fine. Willow Wisp was able to sway along with the music and at least look as if she may know what she was doing. But as soon as she tried to work in the footwork that went with it, it all fell apart. She stumbled as she tripped on her own feet first. And then she bumped into Braeburn stamping on one of his front hooves.

"Oh ! Sorry! Uh..." She managed to get out before getting her feet tangled with themselves and just ending up on the floor, all for legs splayed out.

She was sure somepony would see, and in a fancy place like the Gala, surely they would gossip and laugh. Wisp just sighed. "Oops.."

Braeburn was truly enjoying himself. True, neither the Gala nor Canterlot were his scene. And true, the rather rigged, plodding, formal dance music of the ballroom reminded him of the boring Mild West dances that he had to participate in once in a while. What Braeburn had, though, were two lovely fillies willing spend some time with him among the stuffy socialites of the place - that made it all worthwhile. He easily lead his two companions with his dance steps, even if their moves caused a few double takes from other ponies on the dance floor; something he paid no mind. The first key to dancing was to not care what anyone else thought.

To his left, Fizzy seemed a bit inexperienced with this sort of dancing, but was doing alright. Judging from how the perky turquoise unicorn was moving, he figured she, much like him, preferred a much more lively form of dance music. "You are a natural, Miss Fizzy! Ah shouldn't be surprised a pretty lil' filly like yerself was so light on yer feet," he winked. He was being a bit generous, but it was just too much fun not to be in a good mood.

That train of thought was broken when he suddenly felt his front right hoof trod upon. His eyes widened in the pain and he almost stumbled, but quickly regained his balance. If he hadn't been wearing his boots, that might have hurt even more - as it was, it was more shock then any real pain. He chuckled softly, and was about to deliver some disarming joke to Willow Wisp to sooth any embarrassment she might have for the accident, when she suddenly went crashing on the floor, all four of her legs splayed outwards.

It was enough for several others in the room to stare with hush tones or derision and stifled laughter. Bareburn felt awful - he was the one who had asked her out onto the floor hoping to show her a good time and instead the stuffy city slickers of the room were now snickering at her expense. Well he wasn't just going to let that stand. He gave Willow Wisp a warm, reassuring smile as he held out his forehoof, "Y'all are thinkin' about it too much. Ah know y'all kin dance... ah saw y'all graceful as a wisp, with those lantern thingies... Dancin' ain't about puttin' yer hooves in just th' right spot... it's about feelin' joy, an' lettin' that joy move in yer body."

((Sorry for the delay guys, I've just been busy))

FizzyBanner.png

You are a natural, Miss Fizzy! Ah shouldn't be surprised a pretty lil' filly like yerself was so light on yer feet,"

Fizzy giggled and smiled. "Thank you! I'm not used to this fancy sort of dancing, but I know a few steps." She found matching his steps while minding Willow Wisp's becoming more and more natural as they plodded on. Out of the corner of her eye she noticed Willow Wisp seemed to be struggling a bit and she couldn't help but wonder if three was a crowd, but she was having too much fun at the moment to let it bother her very much.

. . . Then Willow Wisp went tumbling. It was a minor trip-up, but a large portion of the ponies in there vicinity seemed find Willow Wisp's embarrassment amusing. Fizzy glared. "It's not nice to stare." She chided them before asking, "Are you okay?"

Thinking too much about it? Maybe. But Willow Wisp just didn't know how to dance. And the steps the other ponies in the room were doing seemed like they had an order. Of course maybe Braeburn was on to something. Both he and Fizzy were still standing while she was on the floor.

She could hear the snickers and blushed, looking down slightly. Even with Fizzy standing up for her, she knew she had just made a fool of herself. It was probably very clear now that she was just some regular pony who happened to get a ticket, nothing like the high society around them.

Taking Braeburn's hoof she pulled herself up and then shook herself off. The blush from embarrassment of her fall deepened at his works. 'Graceful as a wisp'... well she had been able to dodge and weave through them, that is, until one got her in the side. Maybe... maybe if she closed her eyes and just imagined avoiding those little spirit fires flying at her in all ways she could seem like she knew what she was doing.

"I'm not so sure if I'm graceful... maybe just good at running." She laughed nervously and then closed her eyes. 'Okay Wisp, just listen to the music and dodge those little flames.'

The image in her mind was little wisps of spirit fire flying in at her from all sides. And she was side stepping, spinning and twisting so they zipped by her. Which surprisingly out on the dance floor translated to a bit of a dance. She was doing those same steps, moving in time with the music, and this time not ending up in a heap on the floor.